Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help me become a better DM:
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  19:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know what my deal is. I come up with some really cool ideas for adventures or campaigns prett easily. So that's not my problem. My problem comes with conversation and roleplaying.

When I am speaking to the players as one of my NPC's, I am terrible. Does anyone else have this problem? I think some of it has to do with the players themselves, because none of them are good at roleplaying. If I have an NPC speak to them, the way they respond back doesn't leave much room for a good conversation. It feels... chopped. That's the best way I can describe it. Chopped and forced. I can't blame the players completely, because as a DM I should be able to hold up my end even if they aren't making it easier, but I struggle.

I've tried getting the players to create a backstory about their characters, who they are, and what they've done to get where they are today, hoping this would tie them more to their characters personality rather than just playing a sheet with numbers and a name on it. They're just not that good at roleplaying. But it's not just them, it's me.

I need to get better with creating conversation. I couldn't imagine having the PCs speak to Elminster or Drizzt. I don't feel like as the DM I'd be able to represent them correctly. I feel like when I'd have them speak to the PCs I would fail at having them converse with the PCs as they really would-or even close. I think it would be choppy and forced.

Anyone have similar issues? Anyone have any tips at overcoming this?

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  20:09:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for doing voces, that can be handled with you using your normal voice, just descripe it as a flowng Elven voice or whatever. It clearly is more effective if you can change your voice however that is not required. The words you use should of course reflect the personality, a gruff person should at least use words that are gruff and if you voice is not.

As for players develping back story, in many ways it is too late for that. Back stories if required, should be required at character creation. Save this for your next game if you wish to delve into back story. At best mid game is that you can expect players to know where their characters were born. Oh you might get a little like if parents live, if they have siblings, however doing that you can be at risk of characters that can effect the plotline. One Player saying is cousin to a King midgame can have a major unplanned side effect.

Part of the problem sounds like it might be they are more interested in the rolls then the roles, but from where I sit I can not tell.

If your NPCs do not say interesting things the PCs clearly will not want to talk much with the NPC. Of course if your players do not want to talk and perfer to fight the problem might be more on their side.

All in all each game party need to find what works for them, the game is to be enjoyed by all (this includes the DM). One thing you might consider doing is asking the players what they like and don't like about the game and how you DM.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  20:49:11  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I have been asking what they like and don't like, but they aren't very helpful. They pretty much likedoing adventures and getting treasure. I'm far and away more of a roleplayer than the rest.

As far as having the NPC's talk, I feel the only time I can get them to speak as I think they should speak is if I write it down and then read off what I am writing.

For instance, in the last adventure the PCs rescued Saharel, the lich (or ghost depending on your source) from Spellguard. When I was portraying her, talking to the PC's, to me it seemed very boring and chopped. I do think a large part of it comes from the players not playing their part. Once they rescued her they barely asked her any questions and didn't really act like they should have when they free a powerful lich. This of course made it harder for me to get into her character and portray her. But it's not all their fault. I need to be better at this.

None of the players have ever raised their concern about my DMing, and they seem satisfied, it's just that I hold myself to high standards and don't feel I am delivering.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you can't help how your players roleplay. If your players are satisfied and are having fun, maybe you shouldn't worry about it?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know... I just wish I could play the role of the NPC better than I do during the game. I wish I could have them spout lines of great dialogue effortlessly but I feel like I do nothing but say lame one-liners with a lot of "ums". Which is funny because I am a very outgoing confident person in life, but when I am playing a NPC talking to the PC's I can't get the words out...

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:53:21  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with Rinonalyrna here. I fell into this trap several years ago when "I" thought the game just wasn't perfect. The players were having a great time but i was getting flustered for many reasons and i thought it was the players fault. It took me several years to realize that each group has their own style. Not everyone wants a super detailed plot...some just want to roll dice and do some serious kick ass things.

I think i started "the change" with my group by starting small. Instead of making them get involved deeper i described deeper and got my players interested in return. When they rolled a nat 20 and did somethng cool i would stand from behind my DM screen and take time out to fully describe the coolness.

I found that from that point on my players had wide eyes and got involved a little more each time. Eventually i had players suggesting their path and wanting to take an active part in developing their own plot.

In conclussion people can help you with rules and tactics but in order to be a "good" DM you have to be confident (not cocky) that you are doing what makes your players happy. If they are not complaining and seem to be having a good time...they smile, laugh, have a good time then you are being a good DM. Voices, props and all that stuff are just added extras.

**EDIT**
In real life i was always the kid who hated public speaking. I was last to do my oral presentations. I found when i DM'd i hated to talk to my players in character and to partially get over it a wise player/DM once told me to talk hidden behind my screen. Lower my face to just make eye contact but to in essence "hide" behind my screen.

Eventually it occured to me that the DM is in charge...it is my duty to lead the NPC's to make my players and their character lives brighter...and darker

Edited by - LordArcana on 21 Jan 2008 22:00:14
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Attend a LARP as either an NPC or PC...if NPC take a role you can "evolve"... for example: I played a LARP only once, as an NPC...which was after roughly 14 years of playing RPGs in general, and I was not fond of the entire LARP idea.

Then my buddy came up to me, told me I was going and I was going to have fun...the character I took was dead...as, well, any of the NPC...trapped for years and years in the shadowworld between the living and the dead, having to fight three times a day for all eternity and always getting revived (or reanimated) after each fight...

So I thought to myself "Can I play with madness?"...and yep, I could and did... afterwards my roleplaying as a player and a DM got quite a shift to yet another, higher, gear.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, thanks a lot for your posts. I appreciate it!

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And besides, once you started talking like a wookie and an R2-unit (which I did on numerous occasions) you basically lose all inhibitions regarding voices etc...

*glares mockingly* Yes, I do that sort of stuff...then again, I already did that before I ever even heard about RPGs

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:20:55  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as NPC development pick specific characters from movies and try imitating that voice and mannerisms
When you read read aloud in the NPC voice.

As far as your specific group I don't know how invested you (or your players) are in the campaign, but if you all are looking to start over you might consider the "Amnesia Scenerio". Characters start out face down somewhere with no idea why they are there. Theyhave no idea who they are, why they are being pursued at every corner. Essentially their minds are wiped of their personal experinces. They now have freedom to develop characters as they go, and a motivation to find out who they were.
Mix it up making them the bad guys in their pre-amnesia lives if they usually play good guys.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:46:41  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, I start coughing if I talk for too long, so I try to keep rather quiet when I'm running a game. I answer questions and introduce details as the players move, but aside from that, the only talking I do is for the NPCs.

Something you may wanna keep in mind is that making an NPC entertaining to talk to may help a bit. I can do a pretty decent British accent (both high English and low English), so I do that for characters that might come from areas like the Sword Coast. You don't even really have to change your tone much; just try adding a bit of curve.

Something that I have trouble with that I've started working on is the fact that I often lose track of what specific NPCs are supposed to be talking about. If a PC asks a question that throws me off guard, I have trouble keeping the suspension of disbelief. Notecards might work, but too many will have you shuffling and being rather obvious.

The best advice is just to try to adopt the little things, like if the NPC has a nervous habit or a twitch, try to incorporate it. I know about players being a little snobbish, like laughing when you try to act out the voice of an NPC, so just give them a really dirty look, pretend to make a note, and then keep going. Trust me, it works.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  04:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some voices I just can't do, so I do what a previous poster said and give the intro that they are "speaking in a gruff voice" or something of the like.

I generally have some of the same problems as you s'far as creating interesting conversations between my NPC and Player characters. It's something I'm constantly trying to improve on. My style has evolved to a more silent approach like GoCeraf as I find if I try and overdo things and talk too much I get flustered fast. I describe the general area, talk back if my PC's approach an NPC, and do the rules stuff as well as answer questions about X tavern's current bar life when prompted. Generally, if you have a talkative group, they'll spend more time deciding what to do and how to do it/interacting so you don't have to prompt much, which in turn allows you to gather your thoughts. I used to get really flustered when I dmed and thought I was doing a botchy job of it until I realized that the players were having a blast and then I calmed down a bit and started having fun myself.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  10:32:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you know, roleplaying is actually quite difficult, if you ask me. For players and for DMs alike. Everyone has to really embrace the game and in some way 'get lost in the game' (in the positive sense, of course! ) to make it work. However, this is no easy task. So many distracting things, left and right. Therefore a few tipps:
First you can create a certain atmosphere by putting up candles and maybe put maps on the walls or on the game table. Remove other distracting things from the game table completely. And if you feel like it you might want to use music as well to further develop a certain 'feel' to the game.
Further, try to get your players into the game from the very beginning by e.g. reading a prepared text summing up the latest events or the ölast adventure or intorducing them into the start of the new game session. Always worked for my gaming group.
And lastly, I would say - get better with experience! The more often you do things the better you get. And that holds true for RPG as well, IMO. Also, you might just try to actually voice one or two characters, even if you do not feel very confident in doing it at the first occassions. Take NPCs you created yourself and try with those. It does not always have to be the most important NPC of the game session. Start with a peasent or a merchant the PCs encounter along the road. I am sure you will get better and feel more confident in your task as DM. And eventually you might try to do the same for Drizzt or Elminster. Also keep in mind that the players do not know the voice of any NPC. And you can further help the situation by discribing certain behaviors of powerful NPCs as well to enhance the feeling of amazement (like Elminster summoning his smoking pipe out of thin air or Drizzt playing with his panther Guenhwyvar)

Hope that helps a bit.

BTW, don't expect your players to do te same. However, your actions might trigger their enthusiasm and eventually they might start playing more 'in-character' as well.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Jan 2008 10:36:56
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  11:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Focus on your good points, and if your players are happy obviously the rest follows.

I have a similar problem, as I am a horrible "roleplayer" (as in "actor"), but my games usually involves lots of intrigue, interaction and investigation, so I must smooth things over with focus on the players' objectives for interacting with nps, resolve that as quickly as possible, and move on.
It usually works pretty well, although love scenes, interrogation scenes and so on tend to be a bit dry. "Setting the mood" never works for me, so I focus on the plot and character motivations instead.
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  15:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I just realized that a lot of the problems come from the fact that the players are a bit cocky. If there is a villain talking to them or threatening them, they always act throughout the scene as if they are all powerful and arrogant. They won't play through their character as if they were afraid, nervous, or even unsettled. Just 100% overconfidence. Perhaps I need to beat them down some more-make them lose a few battles. Or perhaps have them be associated with characters far more powerful than their selves.

One player in particular. No matter what character he plays, no matter what situation he is in, he is always talking smack, threatening what he is going to do, etc. I think If I put him in a room with Elminster, Khelben, and the Simbul he'd try to play his character the same way, even at 10th level. I think he may need some hard core humbling. Any idea's on how to do this with a minimal risk of infuriating the Player?

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  21:19:33  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found that when my players need a little humbling have a reoccuring villan show up in some way as to let the players prepare for battle. Let them jack themselves up with hour/level and 10m/level spells...buy scrolls...potions...minor magic items and let them charge headlong into battle only to discover mr. big bad guy has been watching them vie scry and knows their battle plans.

Mr. big bad guy doesn't need to kill them, infact leaving them alive but wounded builds their desire for revenge while making them cautious making them remember they are not all powerful.

I used this once and had the big bad guy cut the pinkies off our wizard giving him a base 10% arcane failure, the first finger off the rogue giving him penalties to hand based skills, and the toes off the warrior giving him a 5' speed penalty in combat as well as penalties to movement based skills.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  02:12:51  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something you may want to read is the Tailored or Status Quo entry in the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 48. It'll give you a bit of a fair way to have monsters and NPCs much more powerful than the players nothing more than a convenient walking distance away.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  07:07:35  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaygrim

I think I just realized that a lot of the problems come from the fact that the players are a bit cocky. If there is a villain talking to them or threatening them, they always act throughout the scene as if they are all powerful and arrogant. They won't play through their character as if they were afraid, nervous, or even unsettled. Just 100% overconfidence. Perhaps I need to beat them down some more-make them lose a few battles. Or perhaps have them be associated with characters far more powerful than their selves.

One player in particular. No matter what character he plays, no matter what situation he is in, he is always talking smack, threatening what he is going to do, etc. I think If I put him in a room with Elminster, Khelben, and the Simbul he'd try to play his character the same way, even at 10th level. I think he may need some hard core humbling. Any idea's on how to do this with a minimal risk of infuriating the Player?

A common theme in westerns is the stranger who walks into town to challenge the best gun. If you go that route I would just make it very apparent what is the cause and what is the effect. I would be very distinct to not beat down players, but also a bit wary of beating down characters. Also I wouldn't just line up a roster of NPC with challenging stats, but give a bit of depth to the NPC. Even if the NPC loses the NPC may...

(a) have a cursed item they hadn't been able to rid themselves of "He coughs up a bit of blood laughing, and then is still".
(b) The son of royalty... woops.
(c) A favored cleric in any religon.
(d) Part of an adventuring party.
(e) Friend of a dwarf. All dwarfs hold grudges ya know.
(f) all of the above.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 25 Jan 2008 07:18:20
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  10:41:44  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about letting him draw from the 'Deck of many things'! He might not be all that overconfident after drawing the Fool. Of Course he might as well be lost in the Void!

No, actually I had a player in my game act similarly. After hitting him with a few problems he could not handle himself he was less confident of his abilities. That did not stop him from talking cr*p. That, however, might be a way of proper roleplaying!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 25 Jan 2008 10:46:20
Go to Top of Page

jage
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  15:37:32  Show Profile  Visit jage's Homepage Send jage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of putting one grand enemy in front of them which is obviously a beat down from the DM, how about craft an adventure that is too much for them? Basically ramp up the difficulty as they go so they have to turn back, and then harrow them on the way back. Once they've shot the last arrow and drank the last potion and are days or weeks in the wild away from any town, yet hardly 40% toward their goal- let them limp back with enough trouble that they barely make it. The old NPC could say as they came back into town: "See, I told Ye as waer so." If they're too arrogant or stupid to turn back... well they're in charge of their characters.

As far as voices, from a player perspective I'd prefer you work on the situation, not the voices. I'd rather have you say, "She threatens you menacingly." and let my imagination interpret what that means rather than have you screech something trying to sound both feminine and menacing, especially if you're not good at it.

Once you get better at motive and back-story for your NPCs through descriptive voice instead of imitative voice then slowly work into character acting where you feel comfortable, building on backgrounds you're familiar with.

Keep in mind I'm old-school and don't really know what the current status quo in the game is, however a high level of character acting is never what I'd look for from a DM.

Edited by - jage on 25 Jan 2008 15:39:48
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  19:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jage

Instead of putting one grand enemy in front of them which is obviously a beat down from the DM, how about craft an adventure that is too much for them? Basically ramp up the difficulty as they go so they have to turn back, and then harrow them on the way back. Once they've shot the last arrow and drank the last potion and are days or weeks in the wild away from any town, yet hardly 40% toward their goal- let them limp back with enough trouble that they barely make it. The old NPC could say as they came back into town: "See, I told Ye as waer so." If they're too arrogant or stupid to turn back... well they're in charge of their characters.

As per another thread, I have a whiney player who would stink up the place with negativity if I ever did something like that, even if I do like the idea.

Instead, I think I may have to create an arrogant NPC who will call him out if this player get's too much "lip". Then he'll have to put up or shut up.

www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  22:25:48  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Well, you know, roleplaying is actually quite difficult, if you ask me. For players and for DMs alike. Everyone has to really embrace the game and in some way 'get lost in the game' (in the positive sense, of course! ) to make it work. However, this is no easy task. So many distracting things, left and right.

The campaign I am involved in right now is one of the best (if not the best) experiences I have ever had in RP. Everyone involved has a detailed backstory so that we have history to draw on for our personalities and little quirks. The events in our "histories" have shaped who we are and how we react. It also helps that we have a really great group that just seems to click (players and characters) so that we feed off each other as we change and grow. It has been super easy to become lost in the game this way. I am overly attached to all of the characters, not just my own, to the point where it will be difficult to walk away. I may have to convince them to have some ongoing saga with our PC's.

Most people outside our game would call this the "chick flick" version of D&D, my husband does, even though there has been plenty of fighting, even within the party, but I am having the time of my life.

I think the difference is in the details. You have to have things that have influenced the characters and who they have become, things that will change them in a given situation. For example, I was running two characters, one was a fighter, cocky and sure of himself, really great at kicking butt. I allowed the DM to use him as the catalyst for our adventure by having him kidnapped.

The DM allowed me to devise most of the torture he underwent in captivity...Even though I could have changed things...made the character come out talking smack, he had some other events in his life that he had never come to terms with. The methods of torture broke him down to the point we had to send him to a monastery for help. Because I "knew" him, knew his history and the ways he had or had not dealt with things in the past, I was able to play a "realistic" break with reality for him (I think so any way and none of the others complained).

I think that you have to create the character in your mind (and on paper) to such a degree that you can act like the character would, not how the player and the player's ego would.

PC know thyself...

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Rizzen1lc
Acolyte

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  02:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Rizzen1lc's Homepage Send Rizzen1lc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I realize this may be a little late (since the post is 6 weeks old). But as a DM you have the power to VETO a PS's actions. I've had to do it with players that just go completely outside the realm of believability. Simply stop the action for a minute, and point out that his reaction is too over the top, or otherwise not appropriate. This is NOT a tactic that should be used often; only in extreme cases.

How long has your group been playing for? Are the 'cocky' ones newer players, or veterans? If this is their first, (or close to it) campaign and/or character, perhaps it's time to retire these ones and start over. And strongly suggest they play a different class AND a different race. Variety is the spice of life!

Insert witty line here.
Go to Top of Page

Rollo Ruttikin
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  03:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Rollo Ruttikin's Homepage Send Rollo Ruttikin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the best inspirations for roleplaying and learning how to roleplay is of course, movies.
What are movies but an hour and 45 minutes of a bunch of people roleplaying?
On of the best D&D movies out there is an old 80's era movie called Hawk the Slayer.
Maybe you're fsamiliar with it but I still won't spoil it for you.
What you have in the movie though are several characters that have vague, yet interesting backgrounds. they are tied together by the hero of the movie and their past affiliations and adventures with him. His antagonist is his evil, older brother played by Jack Palance. (He is about as much of a ham as Shatner, but you gotta love him!)
There's just enough plot to keep the movie entertaining and when I first read the Fr boxed set, I was reminded of this movie. It's not Gladiator or Lord of the Rings or even Excalibur, but it remains one of my favorites.
Instead of watching it as a movie, try to look at it like you're watching a bunch of people doing a D&D live action RPG.
I think you'll see what I'm getting at.
When I was younger and a little more shy, I had kind of the same problem.
Being a Thespian helped immensely, maybe you could try getting involved in a local theater if you have one....
Once I grasped what RPGs were supposed to be about though, I dragged my players down with me and we enjoyed many years of great gaming.
(I also understand and agree with everybody else about the Hack and Slash "Just let me roll my dice!" players out there. I think we all start out that way.)
But once you start really getting in depth yourself, maybe, just maybe, your players will take their cue from your actions. Being a Dungeonmaster in my opinion is also being a leader of sorts. Maybe not the tactical leader of a PC group, but you are effectively in control over everything. (Makes you drunk with power just thinking about it...LOL!)
As for background, force it on them!
(Kidding)
But only kind of kidding.....
Here's how I mean.
The next time your players encounter a nasty villain, have one of them somehow teleported, transportated, levitated, gaseous formed and farted however into the "Lair" of the villain where they can begin a duel of sorts...
Somwhere during the duel (you need to be carefuil about killing the PC so don't roll too well if you take my meaning.) have the villain declare he's the PC's...............<GASP!>

Mom.
(Kidding.)

Having NPCs (good, bad, ugly and indifferent) that are realted or have some other connection with the PCs may help them nurture and grow that back story you are looking for.

Before you run out and buy Hawk the Slayer and start taking notes, one thing you should do.

Sit down and talk with your players and see where they think they might want to go with this.

If they don't give you the "thumbs up" then maybe they aren't ready for a story driven campaign.

So talk to them first. I'm sure they won't bash you too badly!

Oh! Go ahead and buy Hawk the Slayer. It's still a good movie.

I don't care what anybody else says!

Good luck! Dungeonmastering (especially doing it well and often) is a tough job. You have to really WANT to do it.

Let us know if you need anything else!

Rollo
Go to Top of Page

Rollo Ruttikin
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  03:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Rollo Ruttikin's Homepage Send Rollo Ruttikin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the best inspirations for roleplaying and learning how to roleplay is of course, movies.
What are movies but an hour and 45 minutes of a bunch of people roleplaying?
On of the best D&D movies out there is an old 80's era movie called Hawk the Slayer.
Maybe you're fsamiliar with it but I still won't spoil it for you.
What you have in the movie though are several characters that have vague, yet interesting backgrounds. they are tied together by the hero of the movie and their past affiliations and adventures with him. His antagonist is his evil, older brother played by Jack Palance. (He is about as much of a ham as Shatner, but you gotta love him!)
There's just enough plot to keep the movie entertaining and when I first read the Fr boxed set, I was reminded of this movie. It's not Gladiator or Lord of the Rings or even Excalibur, but it remains one of my favorites.
Instead of watching it as a movie, try to look at it like you're watching a bunch of people doing a D&D live action RPG.
I think you'll see what I'm getting at.
When I was younger and a little more shy, I had kind of the same problem.
Being a Thespian helped immensely, maybe you could try getting involved in a local theater if you have one....
Once I grasped what RPGs were supposed to be about though, I dragged my players down with me and we enjoyed many years of great gaming.
(I also understand and agree with everybody else about the Hack and Slash "Just let me roll my dice!" players out there. I think we all start out that way.)
But once you start really getting in depth yourself, maybe, just maybe, your players will take their cue from your actions. Being a Dungeonmaster in my opinion is also being a leader of sorts. Maybe not the tactical leader of a PC group, but you are effectively in control over everything. (Makes you drunk with power just thinking about it...LOL!)
As for background, force it on them!
(Kidding)
But only kind of kidding.....
Here's how I mean.
The next time your players encounter a nasty villain, have one of them somehow teleported, transportated, levitated, gaseous formed and farted however into the "Lair" of the villain where they can begin a duel of sorts...
Somwhere during the duel (you need to be carefuil about killing the PC so don't roll too well if you take my meaning.) have the villain declare he's the PC's...............<GASP!>

Mom.
(Kidding.)

Having NPCs (good, bad, ugly and indifferent) that are realted or have some other connection with the PCs may help them nurture and grow that back story you are looking for.

Before you run out and buy Hawk the Slayer and start taking notes, one thing you should do.

Sit down and talk with your players and see where they think they might want to go with this.

If they don't give you the "thumbs up" then maybe they aren't ready for a story driven campaign.

So talk to them first. I'm sure they won't bash you too badly!

Oh! Go ahead and buy Hawk the Slayer. It's still a good movie.

I don't care what anybody else says!

Good luck! Dungeonmastering (especially doing it well and often) is a tough job. You have to really WANT to do it.

Let us know if you need anything else!

Rollo
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2008 :  19:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This can be a frustrating scenario. In the games that I DM and those that I am a player in, I certainly encourage and provide player background write-ups. In the games I DM, I emphasize the benefits that arise from having this information (treasure and cool stuff geared towards player characters). That being said, there is a member on my game that only enjoys hack n' slash but he has been coming around since he realizes that he is missing out on much of the RPing XP. Inevitably it comes back to party dynamics and getting a good group together that understands what is expected from everyone. Not every group makes a good match for all players.

Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2008 :  19:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This can be a frustrating scenario. In the games that I DM and those that I am a player in, I certainly encourage and provide player background write-ups. In the games I DM, I emphasize the benefits that arise from having this information (treasure and cool stuff geared towards player characters). That being said, there is a member on my game that only enjoys hack n' slash but he has been coming around since he realizes that he is missing out on much of the RPing XP. Inevitably it comes back to party dynamics and getting a good group together that understands what is expected from everyone. Not every group makes a good match for all players.

Go to Top of Page

versalife
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  19:50:03  Show Profile  Visit versalife's Homepage Send versalife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can award extra experience to players who role-play their characters well (according to the plot, situation in the game and their background)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000