Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rant: Casters know the level of their spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  03:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Dragon 221, "The Little Wish". And sorry, but it was a proficiency.

Ok, now I've got to look.

[pulls out pick and shovel, ventures bravely into the closet]

[several hours later]

Yep, yep that's the article. I'd remember that crazed wizard and his pinkies anywhere. And you're right, it's a proficiency. I made it a class feature for a mage PC in my group, which is why my memory was mixed up.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  05:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 2nd Edition Wizard's Spell Compendium and Priest's Spell Compendiums, it is mentioned that cantrips and orisons were commonly treated as a single first level spell that is cast once, and allows you to cast any type of cantrip during its duration without limits for an 8 hour period. There are also rules for replacing a single 1st level spell slot with 4 cantrips. Personally, I've always ruled that they can be cast without limit so long as the player has not exhausted their magic for that day (still has spells memorized and unspent, or isn't magically drained in another way).

Then again, I've typically used the 2nd edition cantrips and orisins found in the Wizard's Spell Compendium Volume IV and Priest's Spell Compendium appendices.

Edited by - Caedwyr on 19 Jan 2008 07:51:18
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  16:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Mysteries suggestion from Wooly. Too bad it won't work in 4E as Mystra is KAPUT!!!

:(

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  19:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, well, I never converted to 3e, though I've read most of the books. I'm not going to convert to 4e either.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  20:41:35  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The best idea I saw was in an article in Dragon, back in 2E: make cantrips a proficiency. You had a limited number of cantrips you could cast, but that went up per level, and eventually (I think 8th level), that limit went away. And to cast them, you simply had to make a proficiency check -- and this restriction also went away, after a while (level 5, I think). That system, to me, very much captured the right feel for cantrips, and gave a workable system for them.

Oh i totaly agree with this. Infact i have done this since the 3.0 switch. At level 5 when a wizard needs to create a sigil he begins to cast 0 level spells without the need to keep track of them. Within reason! I have had players joke about abusing the system by casting ray of frost every round until a pond freezes over...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000