Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Chronicle of a Silverymoon Journey
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  20:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Prologue

It was late in the mornign, and a lone horsewoman was traveling on the road. Without haste, but not slowly, either. Her golden hair flew freely behind her, exposing her pointy ears. The elf seemed lost in her thoughts. She was not of great beauty, but something about her seemed different. This difference emanated from the elf, a suggestion of something celestial, and her blue, gold-flecked eyes reflected great wisdom.

Lost in her memories, she remembered all the events which had led to this moment, to her state of feelings. So much had happened since she'd left the elven country a thousand years ago. She worked for a secret society guided by a prophetic book that had vow to protect the good in her realm. All that had lead to what she now was. But also it had lead to the lost of so many things she tought had importance for her. Now she was not shure any more.

She had fought hordes of demons and traveled through time. Each time she traveled to the higher planes, time had passed faster on Antoniel. She'd come back every time to see cities destroyed, countries changed, and some friends perished.

Her family had been banished and stripped of their noble titles. Her yonger brother had been raise by an ennemie houses and tought lies about their brother. All of it because her brother sacrifice his life to avoind a war between elves and humans. He was an hero, he save thousands of lives. They made him a traitor, they besmirch his memory and actions. She now was a paria for her contry. But she also had learn that to be elvish was not necessery to live with them. That the real nobility came from the heart and that the real elvish heart came from Corellon. Not from the politics that the Naaithess' bloodnoble came to like. Some humans and halfling could be more elve then the noble with whom she grown up.

The elf rubbed her belly with a nostalgic smile. Her celestial son grew in strength and beauty. It was sad that she wasn't able to participate to is education, but She had made her choice, she had other mission to carry on. She accepted to give birth to this child to save a race of Celestial being. Since then, she had visited three times celestial plans. That had change enven her body. Now she was becoming one her-self. Even that had been part of Corellon's divine plans. She was his instrument, and proud to be. She had fought in Divine war and win her part. But she still have a lot to do in the service of Corellon. She had been grant a great honor and she had to prove her-self worthy of. The last time she when to the divine plains was just a little ago. She had to fight beside her friend Éricàlié, the celestial father, to defend the paradises against a horde of devil and demon. It had been a firce battle. It had left scar even in her soul. She had saw some of her friend died and suffer in that war. She had a sad smiles. They had won. This had been difficult, but the Gods of the Good had alied all together, sided all their mortal and celestial champions. It was an epic battle. She wondered if she would get to see something that big again. She hoped not.

Lost in her thoughts, she doesn't notice immediately that the sky suddenly darkened. However, the demonic energy wake her up. In front of the divine priestess stood a being who radiated evil from all his body and soul. His presence was oppressive for the elf so imbued of celestial energy. The elf wanted to take out her sword and deal with this ennemy, but by a gesture of hand the evilbeing and everything around her disappeared…

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french born

The courage to follow our dreams is the first step to achieve our destiny

The tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html

Edited by - Akeri Rualuavain on 19 Nov 2007 02:21:32

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  20:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is amazing. It's like... post-modern prose-poetry of the Babelfish variety?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  02:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Lost in her thoughts she remembered all the way which had lead to this moment. So many things had happened since she left the country of the elves thousand years earlier. His family had been banished and dispossessed of their nobility titles. She had fought hordes of demons. Traveled through time, and she worked for a secret society guided by a prophetic book.

I think events of such heavy significance would deserve a bit more explanation than that. Otherwise it seems like it's there just to tease the reader for teasing's sake. I mean, 1000 years would be very old even for an elf.

And what's this about birthing a celestial being?

I also have to agree that the prose definitely needs polish from a grammatical standpoint, but at the same time I understand that English most likely isn't your first language.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  22:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
edited :

quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

Lost in her thoughts she remembered all the way which had lead to this moment. So many things had happened since she left the country of the elves thousand years earlier. His family had been banished and dispossessed of their nobility titles. She had fought hordes of demons. Traveled through time, and she worked for a secret society guided by a prophetic book. At each of her travel to the higher plain, the time had past on Antoniel faster. She had come back each time to see city destroyed, contry changed and some friends dead.

quote:

The elf rubbed her belly with a nostalgic smile. Her heavenly son grew in strength and beauty. She was sad that she wasn't able to participate in this, but She had made her choice. She had accepted birth of this child to save a race of Celestial being. Since then, she had visited three times celestial plans.

In her original world (She is not for Faerun), some celestial elve are in danger because of a cursed. Their "females" cannot give birth any more so they choose mortal elves woman to give birth to the next generations. With a taste a magic, they are able to continue their race.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  23:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In her original world (She is not for Faerun), some celestial elve are in danger because of a cursed. Their "females" cannot give birth any more so they choose mortal elves woman to give birth to the next generations. With a taste a magic, they are able to continue their race.

My point, though, is that you need to tell us that information through the story (but only when it's pertinent to do so!). As it is, it's like you just tossed those factoids out at the reader even though they don't mesh well at all with what's going on in those first few paragraphs.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Nov 2007 23:35:17
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  00:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so you think i should just take that part out ?
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  01:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd fix the babelfishy language first, if I were you.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  01:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

so you think i should just take that part out ?

I'm not going to tell you what you should do, so much as tell you what I think would make the story better.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  02:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that wath i meen. I ment no offence, or to speak like i would be mad. I'm gonna think about it.

Is there other that would have suggestion to replace those parts ?
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  02:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

I'd fix the babelfishy language first, if I were you.

what do you mean by that ?
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  03:09:23  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not change the content of the prologue, m=but i had some important information. I think that what i wrote hear is important to know to understand my character in the other chapter...

However, I'm not shure. What do you, all, think of this version ?

Prologue

A lone horsewoman was traveling on the road. Without haste, but not slowly, either. Her golden hair flew freely behind her, exposing her pointed ears. The elf seemed lost in her thoughts. She was not of great beauty, but something about her seemed different. This difference emanated from the elf, a suggestion of something celestial, and her blue, gold-flecked eyes reflected great wisdom.

Lost in her memories, she remembered all the events which had led to this moment. So much had happened since she'd left the elven country a thousand years ago. Her family had been banished and stripped of their noble titles. She had fought hordes of demons and traveled through time; now she worked for a secret society guided by a prophetic book. Each time she traveled to the higher planes, time had passed faster on Antoniel. She'd come back every time to see cities destroyed, countries changed, and some friends perished.

The elf rubbed her belly with a nostalgic smile. Her heavenly son grew in strength and beauty. She was sad that she wasn't able to participate in this, but She had made her choice. She had accepted birth of this child to save a race of Celestial being. Since then, she had visited three times celestial plans. Even that had been part of the divine plans. That had change enven her body. She had been tree times in the celestial plains too. Now she was becoming one her-self. But she still have a lot to do in the service of Corellon. She had been grant a faver she had to prove her-self worthy of.

The last time was just a little ago. She had to fight beside her friend Éricàlié (Sorry french inspiration name) to defend the paradise against a horde of devil and demon. It had been a firce battle. It had left scar even in her soul. She had saw some of her friend died and suffer in that war.

had a sad smiles. They had won. This had been difficult, but at the Celestial side they had pushed back the Evil army.

Lost in her thoughts, she does not noticed immediately that the sky suddenly darkened. However, the demonic energy released from its languor. In front of her stood a being who radiated evil. His presence was oppressive for the priestess so imbued of celestial energy. The elf wanted to take out her sword and deal with this enemy, but a gesture of the hand of the evil and everything around her disappeared…

Edited by - Akeri Rualuavain on 17 Nov 2007 03:59:01
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  03:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean that, if I typed this up in proper English, put it through the translation website Babelfish twice (from English to French, then back to English again), it'd read almost exactly like this, with the characteristic pronoun confusion (his and it instead of her and she) and subject-verb disagreement (an isolated horsewomen?). Here's what the first two paragraphs would read like if it had been written in actual English, not in French and then put through Babelfish:

A lone horsewoman was traveling on the road. Without haste, but not slowly, either. Her golden hair flew freely behind her, exposing her pointed ears. The elf seemed lost in her thoughts. She was not of great beauty, but something about her seemed different. This difference emanated from the elf, a suggestion of something celestial, and her blue, gold-flecked eyes reflected great wisdom.

Lost in her memories, she remembered all the events which had led to this moment. So much had happened since she'd left the elven country a thousand years ago. Her family had been banished and stripped of their noble titles. She had fought hordes of demons and traveled through time; now she worked for a secret society guided by a prophetic book. Each time she traveled to the higher planes, time had passed faster on Antoniel. She'd come back every time to see cities destroyed, countries changed, and some friends perished.

It's still completely hideous prose (and will continue to be hideous unless rewritten from scratch), but at least it's more intelligible.

Edited by - Karzak on 17 Nov 2007 03:25:04
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  03:57:37  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you for your help. I'm really sory for my english. It is even worst than i thought.

And yes, i'm sorry i use google to help me translate all my worke. I'm a lot capable of understanding English, and in a reasonable way, i'm also able to write someting comprehensive, but translating a whole text is difficult for me... I think i will let it go for now. It seems i really don't suit, for now, in the place a author if it is not in my primary language.

I will see if i can do something better with some help. Someone offer me to help me in the correction and translation of my texts...
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  21:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Gryphon and the other, i had try to render a better story. This time i just rewrote the story instead of trying to translate it. Is it better that way ?

did not change the content of the prologue, m=but i had some important information. I think that what i wrote hear is important to know to understand my character in the other chapter...

However, I'm not shure. What do you, all, think of this version ?

Prologue

It was late in the mornign, and a lone horsewoman was traveling on the road. Without haste, but not slowly, either. Her golden hair flew freely behind her, exposing her pointed ears. The elf seemed lost in her thoughts. She was not of great beauty, but something about her seemed different. This difference emanated from the elf, a suggestion of something celestial, and her blue, gold-flecked eyes reflected great wisdom.

Lost in her memories, she remembered all the events which had led to this moment, to her state of feelings. So much had happened since she'd left the elven country a thousand years ago. She worked for a secret society guided by a prophetic book that had vow to protect the good in her realm. All that had lead to what she now was. But also it had lead to the lost of so many things she tought had importance for her. Now she was not shure any more.

She had fought hordes of demons and traveled through time. Each time she traveled to the higher planes, time had passed faster on Antoniel. She'd come back every time to see cities destroyed, countries changed, and some friends perished.

Her family had been banished and stripped of their noble titles. Her yonger brother had been raise by an ennemie houses and tought lies about their brother. All of it because her brother sacrifice his life to avoind a war between elves and humans. He was an hero, he save thousands of lives. They made him a traitor, they besmirch his memory and actions. She now was a paria for her contry. But she also had learn that to be elvish was not necessery to live with them. That the real nobility came from the heart and that the real elvish heart came from Corellon. Not from the politics that the Naaithess' bloodnoble came to like. Some humans and halfling could be more elve then the noble with whom she grown up.

The elf rubbed her belly with a nostalgic smile. Her celestial son grew in strength and beauty. It was sad that she wasn't able to participate to is education, but She had made her choice, she had other mission to carry on. She accepted to give birth to this child to save a race of Celestial being. Since then, she had visited three times celestial plans. That had change enven her body. Now she was becoming one her-self. Even that had been part of Corellon's divine plans. She was his instrument, and proud to be. She had fought in Divine war and win her part. But she still have a lot to do in the service of Corellon. She had been grant a great honor and she had to prove her-self worthy of. The last time she when to the divine plains was just a little ago. She had to fight beside her friend Éricàlié, the celestial father, to defend the paradises against a horde of devil and demon. It had been a firce battle. It had left scar even in her soul. She had saw some of her friend died and suffer in that war. She had a sad smiles. They had won. This had been difficult, but the Gods of the Good had alied all together, sided all their mortal and celestial champions. It was an epic battle. She wondered if she would get to see something that big again. She hoped not.

Lost in her thoughts, she doesn't notice immediately that the sky suddenly darkened. However, the demonic energy wake her up. In front of the divine priestess stood a being who radiated evil from all his body and soul. His presence was oppressive for the elf so imbued of celestial energy. The elf wanted to take out her sword and deal with this ennemy, but by a gesture of hand the evilbeing and everything around her disappeared…
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  01:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Prologue

A lone horsewoman was traveling on the road. Without haste, but not slowly, either. Her golden hair flew freely behind her, exposing her pointed ears.

Why is it important that her ears are exposed? To show that they're pointed? You tell us she's an elf after that, so i don't see why that's necessary.

quote:
The elf seemed lost in her thoughts. She was not of great beauty, but something about her seemed different. This difference emanated from the elf, a suggestion of something celestial, and her blue, gold-flecked eyes reflected great wisdom.

The part in bold is, in my opinion, not specific enough. What is "this difference" and why does it suggest something celestial?

quote:

This whole paragraph is, in my opinion, a mess, but the parts in bold don't work for the reasons I mentioned before--they just don't mesh at all with the present scene. Why do you need to tell us right now that this elf works for some secret society involving a book? Tell us that when it'd be more appropriate. Leave a little mystery there for us to discover later.

quote:
The elf rubbed her belly with a nostalgic smile. Her heavenly son grew in strength and beauty.

This is nitpicking, but...how can she tell? He's a fetus, he's inside her!

quote:
She was sad that she wasn't able to participate in this, but She had made her choice.

What is "this"? As far as I can tell, she is carrying a child--to me, that's participating!

quote:
She had accepted birth of this child to save a race of Celestial being. Since then, she had visited three times celestial plans. Even that had been part of the divine plans. That had change enven her body. She had been tree times in the celestial plains too. Now she was becoming one her-self. But she still have a lot to do in the service of Corellon. She had been grant a faver she had to prove her-self worthy of.

Again...I'm sorry, but it's a mess. I can't make heads or tails of what you are talking about, and you mention TWO times that this elf visited the upper planes three times. Not necessary.

quote:
Lost in her thoughts, she does not noticed immediately that the sky suddenly darkened. However, the demonic energy released from its languor.

Uh, what? The bold sentence is just...wrong. Not a great way to introduce a scary demon.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  02:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok... I understand your crithiques, but this is just a prologue... not the Whole story... and i'm sory if i did not express my self well enought. She his not pregnant now... She just remember her son... what is was to be pregnant... Now her son is growing up in "heavens" because he is a celestial...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  02:31:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok... I understand your crithiques, but this is just a prologue... not the Whole story... and i'm sory if i did not express my self well enought.

Nothing to be sorry about.

But still, the fact that this is a prologue is irrelevant. All the more reason not tell us about all the plot points the story is going to have.

quote:
She his not pregnant now... She just remember her son... what is was to be pregnant... Now her son is growing up in "heavens" because he is a celestial...

OK, I wasn't clear about that.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  02:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry... hum and you read the not edited story... i had redone it a little bit farther in the topic... but you made me think about editing the first one too... if you want to read the good one i would invite you in retry it... than if you want you could help me getting it better.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  00:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry... hum and you read the not edited story... i had redone it a little bit farther in the topic... but you made me think about editing the first one too... if you want to read the good one i would invite you in retry it... than if you want you could help me getting it better.

I realize that, but I checked both stories and most of my comments still apply.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Nov 2007 00:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  00:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My advice to you remains the same--ditch the bit about the secret society and the book. If you mention it in passing like that, it just comes off as silly and corny.

quote:
Her family had been banished and stripped of their noble titles. Her yonger brother had been raise by an ennemie houses and tought lies about their brother. All of it because her brother sacrifice his life to avoind a war between elves and humans. He was an hero, he save thousands of lives. They made him a traitor, they besmirch his memory and actions.

This passage could read much "cleaner". You can say all that using fewer sentences. One sentence just repeats information from an earlier sentence. That's called redundancy.

quote:
She now was a paria for her contry. But she also had learn that to be elvish was not necessery to live with them. That the real nobility came from the heart and that the real elvish heart came from Corellon. Not from the politics that the Naaithess' bloodnoble came to like. Some humans and halfling could be more elve then the noble with whom she grown up.

Again, you can say all that with fewer sentences. If you repeat "being an elf comes from the heart" too much, it gets preachy.

quote:

Way, way too many short, clipped sentences! If you want your writing to be graceful, that's not how to do it. It's also a very redundant passage and really, all this chatter about demons and planes and secret societies takes me out of the moment. What is this elf doing, riding to Silverymoon? Why not make THAT interesting? I'd prefer thrilling horseride through the wilderness to all this bloated inner dialogue.

quote:
Lost in her thoughts, she doesn't notice immediately that the sky suddenly darkened. However, the demonic energy wake her up.

Why did the elf get so lost in her thoughts? What triggered this avalanche of memories? Shouldn't she have been watching the road for danger, and not thinking about wars and celestial babies?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Nov 2007 00:22:15
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  00:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hum... I hear yah. In a way, you are right, their is really work to do on my storie... I will try to translate the first chapter and just start there... Maybe will be more trill full and interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  00:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hum... I hear yah. In a way, you are right, their is really work to do on my storie... I will try to translate the first chapter and just start there... Maybe will be more trill full and interesting.

I hope so. I'd love to help you polish the writing up more.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  00:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prologue 2

Daylight was spreading over Faerûn. A traveler was setting up camp. Her pointed ears and pale complexion marked her as a moon elf, though her white hair and red eyes were unusual among her kind.

As the sun began to ignite the horizon, the elf ducked into her camp. Within it, thanks to the heavy drapes, there was practically no light. The moon elf soon came back to her true from. Her skin darken and soon became a shiny ebony. She sighed with relief, and sank into her reverie. In it, she relived a ritual moonlit dance, but a tall drow of incredible beauty - not in fact part of her memory - entered her circle.

Veldrin soon became aware that she was alone with the black elf, then realized who the drow was. None other than the Dark Maiden herself stood before her. She dropped to her knee in obeisance, and a soft, warm voice spoke.

"Blessed child of the night, I have a task for you. Near Silverymoon, there are ruins of an ancient temple that was once called the Door of the Planes. Do you know of what I speak?"

Veldrin nodded, too shocked to speak.

"I want you to visit it. Once there, you will know what to do. Be well, my champion."

With that, the elf awakened from her reverie. For four hours, she gave thanks to the goddess in prayers. Rested and motivated, she dressed and packed her gear.

The trip only took three weeks. When she arrived at her destination, the bard began exploring the place for a sign that would guide her. While searching, she noticed glyphs of great power around a door. When she drew closer, they began to glow, as did the empty space within the doorframe. The dark elf only had time for a quick spell.

Edited by - Akeri Rualuavain on 20 Nov 2007 02:47:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would it be better to start directly with this ?

Not necessarily. I think starting with a prologue is fine, I just didn't think your particular prologue worked, for reasons I've already mentioned.

quote:
he writing is commun. "…"

The elvish will be represented by Italic. "exemple"

The undercommun (drow), will be represented by "/ /exemple/ /"

Again, I'm not going to tell you what to do or not do. But I will say that this system of yours is very confusing and distracting. Authors can do just fine conveying different languages with regular writing conventions. You don't need to employ tricks like this.

What you wrote so far is fine (though it needs to be polished), but I don't think it matters what language a goddess is speaking in.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... maybe. I'm gonna check that... But would it be a more suitable prologue ? Or do you think I just should work on the first on ?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah... maybe. I'm gonna check that... But would it be a more suitable prologue ? Or do you think I just should work on the first on ?

As it is, I think what you wrote for Chapter 1 makes a better prologue than what you wrote for your actual prologue. But that doesn't mean you can't make your original prologue work.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advise. The more I think about it, the more I agree with you... What I rote in my fist prologue version, I could introduce it more proprely in the story it-self...

Thanks...

The only thing I still have to work on, for the moment would be my gramar and vocabulary...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Grammar and spelling would be very easy to polish, with my help (or someone else's). It's the actual prose I would focus on.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  01:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you could help me with that I would be eternly grateful... In French the prose is not really a probleme... But in english I lack the Vocabulary to get something really to my liking, and readers liking.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  02:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you aren't doing this already - don't write in French and translate. Write in English from the start. Here's a rough... translation into readable English. Keep in mind that I'm not altering the prose too much and/or taking out the clunky/redundant bits; I'm only purging it of the bizarre language.

Daylight was spreading over Faerûn. A traveler was setting up camp. Her pointed ears and pale complexion marked her as a moon elf, though her white hair and red eyes were unusual among her kind.

As the sun began to ignite the horizon, the elf ducked into her camp. Within it, thanks to the heavy drapes, there was practically no light. She sighed with relief, and sank into her reverie. In it, she relived a ritual moonlit dance, but a tall drow of incredible beauty - not in fact part of her memory - entered her circle.

Veldrin soon became aware that she was alone with the black elf, then realized who the drow was. None other than the Dark Maiden herself stood before her. She dropped to her knee in obeisance, and a soft, warm voice spoke.

"Blessed child of the night, I have a task for you. Near Silverymoon, there are ruins of an ancient temple that was once called the Door of the Planes. Do you know of what I speak?"

Veldrin nodded, too shocked to speak.

"I want you to visit it. Once there, you will know what to do. Be well, my champion."

With that, the elf awakened from her reverie. For four hours, she gave thanks to the goddess in prayers. Rested and motivated, she dressed and packed her gear.

The trip only took three weeks. When she arrived at her destination, the bard began exploring the place for a sign that would guide her. While searching, she noticed glyphs of great power around a door. When she drew closer, they began to glow, as did the empty space within the doorframe. The dark elf only had time for a quick spell.

Even after turning it into an intelligible form, I still have no idea what is going on. Why does the moon elf suddenly become a dark elf at the end?
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  02:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a spell... You are right, i should have writen that...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000