Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Arcane Healing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  02:02:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

4e had this as well Synostodweomer

In 3.5 you could also be a domain mage and ask the DM if you could grab the healing domain. There was also Arcane Devotion feat which allowed access to 1 domain if your Wisdom was high enough.

That spell is actually much older than 4e, and it was created by the Simbul: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Synostodweomer

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  04:36:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

4e had this as well Synostodweomer

In 3.5 you could also be a domain mage and ask the DM if you could grab the healing domain. There was also Arcane Devotion feat which allowed access to 1 domain if your Wisdom was high enough.

That spell is actually much older than 4e, and it was created by the Simbul: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Synostodweomer

Correct. Sorry I didn't mean to imply that it was just a 4e thing, more to show the notion of arcane healing applies across multiple editions.

Edited by - Diffan on 24 Nov 2016 04:36:40
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  04:39:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a 4e Ritual called Simbul's Conversion, 1st level.

Favored by ritual casters accustomed to long battles and constant warfare, Simbul’s Conversion allows an individual to convert powerful spells into healing reserves. The Simbul taught this ritual to many of her apprentices, and it has since become widely employed as an emergency resource.
After performing this ritual, you sacrifice any number of unused daily arcane powers and regain an equal number of healing surges. You cannot exceed your normal maximum number of healing surges per day.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  04:49:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it seems like a less powerful version of her Synostodweomer.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  04:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

So most people here seem to agree that clerics need a deity to cast their spells. However a site that frequently gets linked on this forums states otherwise:
quote:
realmshelps.net
Though some of the domains below mention deities that can grant access to their followers a cleric need not select a specific deity to have access to a planar domain. A cleric who devotes himself to a specific alignment (LG, NG, CG, LN, CN, LE, NE, or CE) rather than a deity can select a planar domain in place of his two normal domain choices.

http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/prestige/realms/jordainvizier.shtml

So which source is right?

I don't see a reference to planar domains on that prestige class page. However, planar domains are from a non-FR 3e source (the Planar Handbook) and do not follow FR rules. Always follow the original text; websites can be wrong, even our vaunted halls here.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  22:05:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Southern Magician Feat allowed Arcane spell casters to cast Arcane spells as Divine Spells and Divine Spells Casters Divine Spells as Arcane Spells. Was crazy broken when the Archivist came out.

As for Bards, they're Arcane Spells fluff wise straddle the gap between Divine and Arcane. Fluff wise they're Arcane, but how the magic works is actually simular to how the Gods use magic.

And then their is the secret magical lore feature, where they can poach spells from any spellcasting class (uncertain if Psionic counts, but all divine and Arcane Classes do), fluff wise if taking spells from the Paladin or Cleric spell lists counts as divine magic or if, Bards find a way to dupilcate the magic spell with their normal arcane magic. Normally its whatever the type of magic the class usually casts, such as a Light Cleric casting divine magic fireballs, but the Bard and its fluff is different, its clear that Bards learn it from other classes and sources.

In 5e Unearthed Arcana has done a Wizard subclass who can take the spells of a clerics divine domain, including the life domain, which means Arcane healing spells.

Also their is the Favoured Soul who is a Divine Sorceror subclass for sorceror, but as I said I think its intended that spells count as Divine unlike other Sorcerors.

Edited by - Gyor on 24 Nov 2016 22:38:47
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  14:16:04  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
I don't see a reference to planar domains on that prestige class page.

I am sorry, I gave you a wrong link. Here is a correct one:
http://www.realmshelps.net/deities/index.shtml
Especially Planar Domains part at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  21:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
I don't see a reference to planar domains on that prestige class page.

I am sorry, I gave you a wrong link. Here is a correct one:
http://www.realmshelps.net/deities/index.shtml
Especially Planar Domains part at the end.

Okay, my response still stands: Planar domains aren't from an FR source. Just ignore them.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2021 :  14:12:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another one!
quote:
from Calimport, p.91

• Annulus Qysarus Major and Minor: Shoon IV's major ring alone acted as a ring of spell turning; the minor ring functioned singly as a ring of spell storing. But when worn together, the rings
    combined these two powers with that of a ring of vampiric regeneration [sic]. This power absorbs spell energy and transfers into hit points for the wearer of both rings. Likewise, the wearer can
    give up his own hit points to increase damage of spells stored in the minor ring. For example, a stored fireball and the sacrifice of 1d10 hp, each damage die adds +1 point of damage
    (a 6d6 fireball would therefore gain a +6 bonus to damage).

Remember how spell turning has a strange connection with Positive energy plane?.. AFAIK, that was 2nd time it was used deliberately (the first was Internal Conjuration Engine).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2021 :  14:44:11  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the reference to spell turning being connected to the Positive Energy plane? I would like to see if there is anything else that can be gleaned from that.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2021 :  01:32:36  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sages and other learned people, the answer is easily construed in the spells wish & limited wish from the 3.x era. Wish has this as part of its description duplicate any non-sorcerer/wizard spell of 7th level or lower and duplicate any non-sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, even if it belongs to one of your opposition schools.. Limited Wish has a similarly worded duplicate any non-sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell does not belong to one of your opposition schools, and duplicate any non-sorcerer/wizard spell of 4th level or lower, even if it belongs to one of your opposition schools. Those spells may also have the ability to heal wounds, maladies, and afflictions but that is not the important takeaway. Instead, we can see how arcane casters can make and use the curative spells reserved for divine casters and why they would not be as popular in a mage's repertoire.

Between Wish & Limited Wish the constraining factor has remained the same, a 2-3 level difference in casting slots to achieve the same effects. Therefore, the arcane spell version of Cure Light Wounds would occupy the same slot as Fireball (3rd level) at best and Greater Invisibility (4th level) at worst. These spells would be poor choices for adventurers optimizing for dungeon crawls, but useful to have during down time within the protection of civilizations. The reasons we don't see these published is the same reason we don't see other spells that aid governance, ease adjudication, or otherwise make the work of accountants and bureaucrats better - BORING!

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2021 :  03:16:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On page 1140 of the 2e Wizard's Spell Compendium Vol. 4, there is a list of the spells for the optional Healer Mage. It has Cure Light Wounds as 1st level. However, for a Healer Mage, it says this:

"Schools barred include alteration, conjuration, greater divination, illusion/phantasm, invocation/evocation, all spells of necromancy save those that have healing or curing effects, and all other specially schools. Universal spells are allowed."

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  11:28:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the old "non-advanced" D&D there were healing spells available to wizards.

Also, in several of the realms novels, including at least two of the Elminster novels, there are wizard spells that heal. Also, El uses other means for healing magic like converting magic into healing power.

Also, there is the "heal self" spell attributed to the phaerim. I twisted it so that their spells were originally elvish, and they adjusted them for themselves (yes this is not canon). Original versions can still be found locked away in kiira.

The one that comes most clearly to mind from the novels is the spell of Karsus that heals among those that Elminster peruses in Temptation.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  15:40:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover had an arcane healing spell, but it was not an efficient one. A wizard could cast the 7th-level spell The Simbul's Synostodweomer, then immediately case another memorized spell (it had to be a memorized one), and the second spell would be converted to healing magic -- 2 hp per level of spell. And then the wizard could heal themselves or one person touched with that magic.

It's not a spell I can see being used oft. Sure, there are scenarios in which it could prove useful, but not many.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2395 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  16:39:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

What is the reference to spell turning being connected to the Positive Energy plane? I would like to see if there is anything else that can be gleaned from that.

What happens when a pair spell turnings run into each other (i.e. the caster and target are both under these effects). Among the other outcomes, this can dump the protected subject on Positive.

Internal Conjuration Engine (from Mystara) is enchanted with spell turning, its purpose is scaling up magic: basically it pumps a potion through resonance chamber, and applies its effect to a whole flying ship. Usually it's potion of flying, but there are variants with extra intakes for other potions like blending, speed or fire resistance.

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Also, there is the "heal self" spell attributed to the phaerim.

The phaerimm already absorb incoming magic, however. They'd only need a special spell to do this more efficiently.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  19:11:38  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

What happens when a pair spell turnings run into each other (i.e. the caster and target are both under these effects). Among the other outcomes, this can dump the protected subject on Positive.

Thank you. I didn't remember that.

Also, the 6th level mantle spell allows a caster that is level 22 or higher to sacrifice a memorized or hung spell to heal themselves for 1d4 per spell level of the spell sacrificed. A 9th level spell would grant 9d4 points of healing. That isn't too bad in an emergency.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2021 :  21:03:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are other possibilities.

Spells like wish, limited wish, and alter reality are able to duplicate the effects of any other spell with equal or lesser level. A single full wish can even heal an entire party. Although the rules (or "guidelines") for these spells rely largely on the DM's "discretion" and have been modified substantially in every major and minor game/rules edition.

Spells like polymorph, shapechange, and various transmutation magics are able to heal a significant amount of injury/damage.

Spells like regeneration, vampiric regeneration, and troll's blood are able to greatly accelerate normal healing rates.

Spells like (Simbul's) synosdodweomer are high-level, complex, expensive, and rare - and vastly inferior to low-level priestly healing magics. It seems obvious that these sorts of arcane healing spells wouldn't exist if arcane casters had simpler, cheaper, and better options.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Jul 2021 21:07:28
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  17:38:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know about 2e and earlier books. The "Ghelkyn's wounding" spell, from the Volo's Guide to the North IIRC, allows a vampiric healing.

EDIT: editing

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 03 Aug 2021 17:40:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly