Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Which Era should see a novel written about it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  12:43:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Please forgive that the below definitely won't have everyone's possible choices. With the changes to 4e and the vast amount of prehistory we have, I would love to see more books set in the past to showcase some of this material (we may know the ending... or we may only know the ending that the victors wrote...). Anyway, vote for which you like, or respond with others

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Choices:

The formation of the Red Wizards and Thay
The rise and/or fall of Imaskar
The Theurgist Adepts & the Orcgate Wars
The formation and fall of the Covenant
The Rise and/or Fall of Narfell & Raumathar
The Rise of the New Impiltur
The war with Zhengyi
Something during the Shoon Imperium
The time of Calim & Memnon
One of the Crown Wars
The rise and/or fall of Jaamdath
The rise and/or fall of Shanatar

(Anonymous Vote)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Oct 2007 15:11:07

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  12:44:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, this shouldn't be in the news & releases area. If someone could move it (guess I missed a click somewhere).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:13:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would've selected "All of the above" -- if you had that option.

And I'll add one of my own, to beat Wooly, and because it's something I'd really love to see... "The Manshoon Wars" -- a collaborative effort between both Steven Schend and Ed Greenwood.

*smirk*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Oct 2007 15:22:43
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to read a novel about the rise of the Dark Three, their subjugation of the Lost Gods, and subsequent ascendance to godhood.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:45:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And I'll add one of my own, to beat Wooly, and because it's something I'd really love to see... "The Manshoon Wars" -- a collaborative effort between both Steven Schend and Ed Greenwood.

*smirk*

Hey, you stole my idea! Don't make me sic a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters on you!

But yeah, I would have loved to have seen a novel on the Manshoon Wars. In fact, I still maintain that it'd be cool to have a Manshoon trilogy, with each book focusing on a different clone.

From the list, I selected the rise and fall of the Covenant (because groups of drekkin' powerful wizards are cool!). But I'd also like to read about the rise and fall of Jhaamdath and Shanatar. And it would also be nice to have seen at least something about Bane's rebirth.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Oct 2007 15:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  15:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage is correct! All the options above are excellent!

But, my prefered choice is the Rise and Fall of Narfell and Raumathar.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  17:20:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I want to read a novel about the rise of the Dark Three, their subjugation of the Lost Gods, and subsequent ascendance to godhood.

I would LOVE to read that one as well. Especially if we find out that Jergal is doing some kind of trick.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  00:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*smirk*

Heck, I'd rather see that as a novella collection with at least six authors each tackling a Manshoon clone story...

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  00:26:54  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see many of the above (some are probably better to read as fluff instead of stories), but since I'm writing a novel about a deep Imaskari explorer, I'd like to see a canon novel to base much of the stuff I've made up myself on. As long as the author would be supervised by the creator of the Imaskari. I want the feeling of the Imaskari I've read about.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  01:07:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

*smirk*

Heck, I'd rather see that as a novella collection with at least six authors each tackling a Manshoon clone story...

Steven

A novella collection sounds good -- which also means the individual writers could probably focus on more than just the three "official" clones we know are running around. I bet you've all had some fantastic ideas about just where some of the other clones have hidden themselves across the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Oct 2007 01:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  05:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to read more about Imaskar's Rise and Fall (and all inbetween). Can't wait to lay may hand on the GHotR which will arrive hopefully soon.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  01:20:16  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...that would well and truly rock!
Which one are you signing on to write?
quote:

quote:

*smirk*

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree that more novels taking place in the past would be wonderful, even though WotC's mantra seems to be "new, new, new", with few exceptions. While I think a novel based on any of the above listed options would be fine, I think what I'd like most would be novels taking place in the more recent (as opposed to ancient) past. A Manshoon Wars novel would fit in there (so does Zhengyi, but I admit I don't care about him as much), and I'm also thinking of stories in the vein of Ed Greenwood's Knights of Myth Drannor series.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Oct 2007 03:14:51
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:34:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh . . . I still want to see the Company of Crazed Venturers novels, myself.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  03:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short stories might suit better. I voted for the Covenant because that's less of a historical epic than the other choices.

It would be the best thing that's happened to the Realms novel line, and a great thing for the Realms that would go some way to salving a 100-year time jump, if it could successfully get off the Whoo! It's Happening Now! train.

Edited by - Faraer on 09 Oct 2007 03:45:08
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  02:57:49  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

that would be very cool. Maybe WOTC can do an adventuring companies of the realms series, after Ed finishes up the knights
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven

That would be so awesome!

Um . . . could I write one? Pretty please?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Vanidariaen
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Vanidariaen's Homepage Send Vanidariaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely read one if you wrote it Erik!

http://tom.myhereandhereafter.com
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  14:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one was way too difficult to choose because I also would take all of the above....but I opted to vote for the Red Wizards due to my fascination with magic in general...but still I could change that vote easily :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  19:43:54  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I voted for Impiltur, as I enjoyed what I've seen so far in the Year of Rogue Dragons.

Also, can someone tell me what the Covenant is? Sounds cool, but I've never heard of it before.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  19:48:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would prefer to hear more about the years just prior to the publishing of the Realms, the first part of the 13th century, but of the list I would say the formation of the Red Wizard might be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  21:14:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

This one was way too difficult to choose because I also would take all of the above....but I opted to vote for the Red Wizards due to my fascination with magic in general...but still I could change that vote easily :)

With so many of us saying all of the above, it made me realize, perhaps it'd be really great to see tastes of a lot of these in the form of "Moderate" Stories (i.e. longer than short stories, but not a whole novel). Something akin to a "Realms of Ancient Secrets"... ok, I suck at novel names... collection of stories.

Also, I'm surprised at how many of us chose the red wizards, as while its my favorite, I didn't think it would be so popular. I'm also surprised with Zhengyi, which would also be a big one with me. I figured Imaskar would be a big seller, and I'd love to see it. I also figured there'd be those wanting to see some Crown Wars action, and I'd enjoy it, though I'd appreciate the Manshoon Clone wars and/or Narfell & Raumathar better.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  04:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*smirk*

Completely agree - that would be great reading
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  12:05:41  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed,
Athough I voted for the rise & fall of Imaskar (I'd love to learn far more about them ) - I would have voted for "All of the Above" if i'd had that option (they all sound great, esp. Company of Crazed Venturers & an adventuring company series!)

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000