Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Which Era should see a novel written about it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 12:43:00
Please forgive that the below definitely won't have everyone's possible choices. With the changes to 4e and the vast amount of prehistory we have, I would love to see more books set in the past to showcase some of this material (we may know the ending... or we may only know the ending that the victors wrote...). Anyway, vote for which you like, or respond with others

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ateth Istarlin Posted - 11 Oct 2007 : 12:05:41
Agreed,
Athough I voted for the rise & fall of Imaskar (I'd love to learn far more about them ) - I would have voted for "All of the Above" if i'd had that option (they all sound great, esp. Company of Crazed Venturers & an adventuring company series!)
Theophilus Posted - 11 Oct 2007 : 04:02:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I would've selected "All of the above" -- if you had that option.

And I'll add one of my own, to beat Wooly, and because it's something I'd really love to see... "The Manshoon Wars" -- a collaborative effort between both Steven Schend and Ed Greenwood.

*smirk*

Completely agree - that would be great reading
sleyvas Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 21:14:26
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

This one was way too difficult to choose because I also would take all of the above....but I opted to vote for the Red Wizards due to my fascination with magic in general...but still I could change that vote easily :)

With so many of us saying all of the above, it made me realize, perhaps it'd be really great to see tastes of a lot of these in the form of "Moderate" Stories (i.e. longer than short stories, but not a whole novel). Something akin to a "Realms of Ancient Secrets"... ok, I suck at novel names... collection of stories.

Also, I'm surprised at how many of us chose the red wizards, as while its my favorite, I didn't think it would be so popular. I'm also surprised with Zhengyi, which would also be a big one with me. I figured Imaskar would be a big seller, and I'd love to see it. I also figured there'd be those wanting to see some Crown Wars action, and I'd enjoy it, though I'd appreciate the Manshoon Clone wars and/or Narfell & Raumathar better.
Jorkens Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 19:48:07
I would prefer to hear more about the years just prior to the publishing of the Realms, the first part of the 13th century, but of the list I would say the formation of the Red Wizard might be interesting.
eldritchknight Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 19:43:54
Well, I voted for Impiltur, as I enjoyed what I've seen so far in the Year of Rogue Dragons.

Also, can someone tell me what the Covenant is? Sounds cool, but I've never heard of it before.

Thanks!
Alisttair Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 14:49:20
This one was way too difficult to choose because I also would take all of the above....but I opted to vote for the Red Wizards due to my fascination with magic in general...but still I could change that vote easily :)
Vanidariaen Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 03:43:18
I would definitely read one if you wrote it Erik!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 03:22:00
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Heck, I'd rather see that as a novella collection with at least six authors each tackling a Manshoon clone story...
Steven

That would be so awesome!

Um . . . could I write one? Pretty please?

Cheers
scererar Posted - 10 Oct 2007 : 02:57:49
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Heh . . . I still want to see the Company of Crazed Venturers novels, myself.

that would be very cool. Maybe WOTC can do an adventuring companies of the realms series, after Ed finishes up the knights
Faraer Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 03:44:14
Short stories might suit better. I voted for the Covenant because that's less of a historical epic than the other choices.

It would be the best thing that's happened to the Realms novel line, and a great thing for the Realms that would go some way to salving a 100-year time jump, if it could successfully get off the Whoo! It's Happening Now! train.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 03:43:56
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd read it.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 03:34:43
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 03:13:57
I totally agree that more novels taking place in the past would be wonderful, even though WotC's mantra seems to be "new, new, new", with few exceptions. While I think a novel based on any of the above listed options would be fine, I think what I'd like most would be novels taking place in the more recent (as opposed to ancient) past. A Manshoon Wars novel would fit in there (so does Zhengyi, but I admit I don't care about him as much), and I'm also thinking of stories in the vein of Ed Greenwood's Knights of Myth Drannor series.
chance87 Posted - 09 Oct 2007 : 01:20:16
Wow...that would well and truly rock!
Which one are you signing on to write?
quote:

quote:

And I'll add one of my own, to beat Wooly, and because it's something I'd really love to see... "The Manshoon Wars" -- a collaborative effort between both Steven Schend and Ed Greenwood.

*smirk*

Heck, I'd rather see that as a novella collection with at least six authors each tackling a Manshoon clone story...

Steven

Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 05:26:06
I would love to read more about Imaskar's Rise and Fall (and all inbetween). Can't wait to lay may hand on the GHotR which will arrive hopefully soon.
The Sage Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 01:07:46
quote:

quote:

*smirk*

Steven

A novella collection sounds good -- which also means the individual writers could probably focus on more than just the three "official" clones we know are running around. I bet you've all had some fantastic ideas about just where some of the other clones have hidden themselves across the Realms.
Aewrik Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 00:26:54
I'd like to see many of the above (some are probably better to read as fluff instead of stories), but since I'm writing a novel about a deep Imaskari explorer, I'd like to see a canon novel to base much of the stuff I've made up myself on. As long as the author would be supervised by the creator of the Imaskari. I want the feeling of the Imaskari I've read about.
Steven Schend Posted - 08 Oct 2007 : 00:20:50
quote:

*smirk*

Steven
sleyvas Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 17:20:01
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I want to read a novel about the rise of the Dark Three, their subjugation of the Lost Gods, and subsequent ascendance to godhood.

I would LOVE to read that one as well. Especially if we find out that Jergal is doing some kind of trick.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 15:49:23
Sage is correct! All the options above are excellent!

But, my prefered choice is the Rise and Fall of Narfell and Raumathar.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 15:45:48
quote:

*smirk*

Hey, you stole my idea! Don't make me sic a swarm of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters on you!

But yeah, I would have loved to have seen a novel on the Manshoon Wars. In fact, I still maintain that it'd be cool to have a Manshoon trilogy, with each book focusing on a different clone.

From the list, I selected the rise and fall of the Covenant (because groups of drekkin' powerful wizards are cool!). But I'd also like to read about the rise and fall of Jhaamdath and Shanatar. And it would also be nice to have seen at least something about Bane's rebirth.
Brian R. James Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 15:35:18
I want to read a novel about the rise of the Dark Three, their subjugation of the Lost Gods, and subsequent ascendance to godhood.
The Sage Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 15:13:31

*smirk*
sleyvas Posted - 07 Oct 2007 : 12:44:59
ah, this shouldn't be in the news & releases area. If someone could move it (guess I missed a click somewhere).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000