Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Studying Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gelcur Posted - 05 May 2022 : 06:55:42
I remembered today that some colleges offer courses and degrees in Tolkien. Then I thought, with D&D being so popular now wouldn't it be cool if a college offered course work in Ed's Forgotten Realms. I'm guessing none exist?

Anyone want to try their hand at designing a 6 course curriculum?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 11 May 2022 : 22:07:48
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

We should be kissing Jergal's feet.

(...and then gargling with a bunch of mouthwash, but that's not really the point.)

Not really. Jergal's actions made the gnomes the way they are now: annoying little blighters.

I believe, the best way to express that, is to picture a gnome in Michael Keeton's Batman costume, standing on a stool (of course), holding Jergal (dressed as The Joker) off the ground by his lapels saying "you made me".

Now, try to scrub that image from your mind....

Unless I've overlooked a crucial piece of information that makes me the fool, aren't FR gnomes - the "rock" variety, anyhow - Neutral Good just like the default D&D gnome? Also, sure, they're an eccentric folk, but they're far from, say, Dragonlance's Tinker Gnomes.

Like I mentioned, I haven't done a lot of research for this but I am thinking that the gnomes were a bit more dwarven in attitude. But, having a near death experience, their culture changed to be more fun-centric (much like how some of our friends/family have decided, as a reaction to the pandemic, to value work/life balance more than they did previously). That could certainly apply to even non-FR gnomes if the crystal sphere destroyed was the gnome homeland. It could also explain the tinker gnomes since it happened to be that aspect of the original gnome culture was emphasized by that particular group of gnome survivors.

I figure all of this will shake out as I actually start working on it. These ideas are certainly in flux and your pointing out stuff is a big help. I am taking notes so when I do start working on it, this conversation will be a great launching point.
Azar Posted - 11 May 2022 : 19:48:02
quote:

quote:

(...and then gargling with a bunch of mouthwash, but that's not really the point.)

Not really. Jergal's actions made the gnomes the way they are now: annoying little blighters.

I believe, the best way to express that, is to picture a gnome in Michael Keeton's Batman costume, standing on a stool (of course), holding Jergal (dressed as The Joker) off the ground by his lapels saying "you made me".

Unless I've overlooked a crucial piece of information that makes me the fool, aren't FR gnomes - the "rock" variety, anyhow - Neutral Good just like the default D&D gnome? Also, sure, they're an eccentric folk, but they're far from, say, Dragonlance's Tinker Gnomes.
TheIriaeban Posted - 11 May 2022 : 18:24:01
quote:

Azar Posted - 11 May 2022 : 17:37:01

TheIriaeban Posted - 11 May 2022 : 15:12:23
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Part 14: Forgotten Gnomore: The Truth About the Gnomes of the Realms.

This one fulfills the requirement for “The Idiot’s Guide to Demonology.”

I guess that means I shouldn't blame Jergal for their appearance on Toril, then.

Wait, what is this theory?

Thanks to Wooly's suggestion, the following idea occurred to me. This is a rough idea that I have not had time to do any research on:

Jergal was able to engineer the destruction of an entire crystal sphere with a substantial number of gnomes (possibly even the home for the gnome race). To ensure the survival of the gnomes, Garl used all of the power at his disposal to scatter gnomes throughout as many crystal spheres as he could. To survive the trip, the gnomes were transformed into gems. He would then go and "open" the gems to get the gnomes back to normal.

A quick and unresearched idea for why there are gnomes all over the place. And why it is ultimately Jergal's fault that there are gnomes on Toril.
PattPlays Posted - 11 May 2022 : 10:55:37
quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess that means I shouldn't blame Jergal for their appearance on Toril, then.

Wait, what is this theory?
Steven Schend Posted - 11 May 2022 : 02:44:12
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've been studying the Realms for just over 35 years now. Not sure I'll ever get my degree.

-- George Krashos

I'd say you've gotten at least a Master's in Impiltur, given that you've written at least two theses on that.

You're also a degree holder in the North and the Sword Coast each.

Then again, I'm a biased instructor who grades on a curve. ;)

Steven
Azar Posted - 08 May 2022 : 07:45:03
Part 17 - The waltzes of Waterdeep.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 May 2022 : 03:29:41
quote:

quote:

I was waiting for your response to this one!
TheIriaeban Posted - 07 May 2022 : 22:20:41
quote:

quote:

ericlboyd Posted - 07 May 2022 : 21:46:24

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2022 : 21:30:39
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

I'm going to disagree on part of this one. I think timeline jumps can work out fine -- it depends in large part on how you use them. The way WotC used the lost century after the Spellplague? An excellent example of how not to do it.

But if you do what some other authors do, bumping the timeline ahead to get to another generation, that's fine -- as long as nothing major happened in the lost years, and you do something to maintain continuity.

One of my favorite series covers more than a century of time (maybe two); the time jumps happen between subseries, but there are some recurring characters that join the new characters and the offspring of earlier characters, so there's still some continuity there.

-Are you talking FR? Cause I honestly don't remember any major time jumps other than (A) the relevant 4e transition books/series and (B) books that were set in what is already the established past, and use time jumps in the narrative and either wind up in a future moment in regards to the plot or in the present (examples being say Evermeet or Star of Cursrah. In regards to that, I don't think those (B) moments necessarily count as "real" time jumps, or at the very least, are a very different kind.

WotC dropped the ball with their timejump. I've seen others, in non-WotC properties, that were handled better.
TheIriaeban Posted - 07 May 2022 : 20:24:04
quote:

Thank you. You just gave me the idea for my next project.
Delnyn Posted - 07 May 2022 : 18:57:22
Part 16: Manshoon and the Clone Wars.
Lord Karsus Posted - 07 May 2022 : 17:41:03
quote:

I'm going to disagree on part of this one. I think timeline jumps can work out fine -- it depends in large part on how you use them. The way WotC used the lost century after the Spellplague? An excellent example of how not to do it.

But if you do what some other authors do, bumping the timeline ahead to get to another generation, that's fine -- as long as nothing major happened in the lost years, and you do something to maintain continuity.

One of my favorite series covers more than a century of time (maybe two); the time jumps happen between subseries, but there are some recurring characters that join the new characters and the offspring of earlier characters, so there's still some continuity there.

-Are you talking FR? Cause I honestly don't remember any major time jumps other than (A) the relevant 4e transition books/series and (B) books that were set in what is already the established past, and use time jumps in the narrative and either wind up in a future moment in regards to the plot or in the present (examples being say Evermeet or Star of Cursrah. In regards to that, I don't think those (B) moments necessarily count as "real" time jumps, or at the very least, are a very different kind.
ElfBane Posted - 07 May 2022 : 12:01:02
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I think George that everyone here would agree to bestow upon you an honorary PHD in the forgotten realms for diligent research, advice, and for steering the fan base during the wailing years

I think we're still IN the wailing years!
Azar Posted - 07 May 2022 : 09:57:43
Part 15 - Elusive, Ethereal, Exotic: Evermeet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2022 : 06:05:22
Azar Posted - 07 May 2022 : 04:32:54
Part 13 - No amnesty in Amn.
Demzer Posted - 07 May 2022 : 04:29:47
quote:

Part 11: What they don't want you to know about the Land Down Under.

Part 12: Nonsense! There is NO "Land Down Under", all land in the Forgotten Realms is on the up and up

Motions for the hooded guys in black leathers to get Eric
ericlboyd Posted - 07 May 2022 : 01:03:48
Part 11: What they don't want you to know about the Land Down Under.
Azar Posted - 06 May 2022 : 23:21:36
Part 10 - Netheril: Arcane Arrogance.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 May 2022 : 23:16:54
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Part 2 - why you should never user RSEs and timeline jumps to advance your setting.

Gary Dallison Posted - 06 May 2022 : 21:53:06
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Ooh here’s a good one. Part 8 - The Most OP Power in All Dnd- Fr Novel Plot Armor

That ones easy, be called drizzt do urden
Azar Posted - 06 May 2022 : 21:45:36
Part 9 - Elminster Aumar.
Seethyr Posted - 06 May 2022 : 20:46:39
Ooh here’s a good one. Part 8 - The Most OP Power in All Dnd- Fr Novel Plot Armor
TheIriaeban Posted - 06 May 2022 : 16:20:24
Part 7: The Good, The Bad, and The Idiots: Great antagonists of the Realms and why to keep them that way.
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 May 2022 : 15:29:37
Part 6 - why it's impossible to kill a god.
lsls Posted - 06 May 2022 : 14:19:18
Part 5 - The Many resurrections of Mystra.
Seethyr Posted - 06 May 2022 : 14:00:36
Part 4 - The Many deaths of Mystra.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000