Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Studying Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2022 :  06:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I remembered today that some colleges offer courses and degrees in Tolkien. Then I thought, with D&D being so popular now wouldn't it be cool if a college offered course work in Ed's Forgotten Realms. I'm guessing none exist?

Anyone want to try their hand at designing a 6 course curriculum?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  01:27:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been studying the Realms for just over 35 years now. Not sure I'll ever get my degree.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  06:52:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think George that everyone here would agree to bestow upon you an honorary PHD in the forgotten realms for diligent research, advice, and for steering the fan base during the wailing years

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  11:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lesson 1. RSEs and Time Jumps part 1

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  11:54:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 2 - why you should never user RSEs and timeline jumps to advance your setting.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  12:47:36  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 3 - The importance of Drizzt Do'urden.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  12:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Part 2 - why you should never user RSEs and timeline jumps to advance your setting.

Beat me to it LOL

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  14:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 4 - The Many deaths of Mystra.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  14:19:18  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 5 - The Many resurrections of Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  15:29:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 6 - why it's impossible to kill a god.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  16:20:24  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 7: The Good, The Bad, and The Idiots: Great antagonists of the Realms and why to keep them that way.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  20:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh here’s a good one. Part 8 - The Most OP Power in All Dnd- Fr Novel Plot Armor

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  21:45:36  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 9 - Elminster Aumar.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  21:53:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Ooh here’s a good one. Part 8 - The Most OP Power in All Dnd- Fr Novel Plot Armor

That ones easy, be called drizzt do urden

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  23:16:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going to disagree on part of this one. I think timeline jumps can work out fine -- it depends in large part on how you use them. The way WotC used the lost century after the Spellplague? An excellent example of how not to do it.

But if you do what some other authors do, bumping the timeline ahead to get to another generation, that's fine -- as long as nothing major happened in the lost years, and you do something to maintain continuity.

One of my favorite series covers more than a century of time (maybe two); the time jumps happen between subseries, but there are some recurring characters that join the new characters and the offspring of earlier characters, so there's still some continuity there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  23:21:36  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 10 - Netheril: Arcane Arrogance.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  01:03:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 11: What they don't want you to know about the Land Down Under.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  04:29:47  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Part 11: What they don't want you to know about the Land Down Under.

Part 12: Nonsense! There is NO "Land Down Under", all land in the Forgotten Realms is on the up and up

Motions for the hooded guys in black leathers to get Eric
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  04:32:54  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 13 - No amnesty in Amn.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  06:05:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 14: Forgotten Gnomore: The Truth About the Gnomes of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  09:57:43  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 15 - Elusive, Ethereal, Exotic: Evermeet.

Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  12:01:02  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think George that everyone here would agree to bestow upon you an honorary PHD in the forgotten realms for diligent research, advice, and for steering the fan base during the wailing years

I think we're still IN the wailing years!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  17:41:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm going to disagree on part of this one. I think timeline jumps can work out fine -- it depends in large part on how you use them. The way WotC used the lost century after the Spellplague? An excellent example of how not to do it.

But if you do what some other authors do, bumping the timeline ahead to get to another generation, that's fine -- as long as nothing major happened in the lost years, and you do something to maintain continuity.

One of my favorite series covers more than a century of time (maybe two); the time jumps happen between subseries, but there are some recurring characters that join the new characters and the offspring of earlier characters, so there's still some continuity there.

-Are you talking FR? Cause I honestly don't remember any major time jumps other than (A) the relevant 4e transition books/series and (B) books that were set in what is already the established past, and use time jumps in the narrative and either wind up in a future moment in regards to the plot or in the present (examples being say Evermeet or Star of Cursrah. In regards to that, I don't think those (B) moments necessarily count as "real" time jumps, or at the very least, are a very different kind.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  18:57:22  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 16: Manshoon and the Clone Wars.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  20:24:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you. You just gave me the idea for my next project.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  21:30:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Are you talking FR? Cause I honestly don't remember any major time jumps other than (A) the relevant 4e transition books/series and (B) books that were set in what is already the established past, and use time jumps in the narrative and either wind up in a future moment in regards to the plot or in the present (examples being say Evermeet or Star of Cursrah. In regards to that, I don't think those (B) moments necessarily count as "real" time jumps, or at the very least, are a very different kind.

WotC dropped the ball with their timejump. I've seen others, in non-WotC properties, that were handled better.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 May 2022 21:30:59
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  21:46:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

This one fulfills the requirement for “The Idiot’s Guide to Demonology.”

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  22:20:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I guess that means I shouldn't blame Jergal for their appearance on Toril, then.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2022 :  03:29:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was waiting for your response to this one!

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2022 :  07:45:03  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part 17 - The waltzes of Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2022 :  02:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've been studying the Realms for just over 35 years now. Not sure I'll ever get my degree.

-- George Krashos

I'd say you've gotten at least a Master's in Impiltur, given that you've written at least two theses on that.

You're also a degree holder in the North and the Sword Coast each.

Then again, I'm a biased instructor who grades on a curve. ;)

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000