Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Upcoming changes to drow

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sno4wy Posted - 21 May 2021 : 00:53:17
(No) thanks to Dark Alliance and other things:

https://dnd.wizards.com/story/legend-of-drizzt

quote:
The subterranean City of Spiders is the bastion of the Udadrow: drow elves who became tainted by Lolth’s insidious teachings. Udadrow society values ruthlessness, obedience, and a burning hatred of surface dwellers.

Even as some of their kin followed Lolth down to the Underdark, many drow elves rejected her, remaining true to their innate integrity. One band ventured north, vanishing from history behind curtains of snow, aurora, and illusion. They became the Aevendrow—or Starlight Elves—a highly secretive clan steeped in powerful magic.

The Aevendrow remain untainted by Lolth’s influence, and life in Callidae is radically different from that of oppressive Menzoberranzan. Yet, though many would rejoice to see it, almost no one—including the longest-lived elves—can quite remember its existence.

Head far enough south and one enters the territory of the Lorendrow, or “Greenshadow Elves.” Far from the Spider Queen and her terrors, the Lorendrow draw their wisdom from their environment: the generosity of earth; the mystery of sky; and the complex harmony of forest.

So basically, Udadrow = Lolthites, Aevendrow = Eilistraeens, Lorendrow = dark elves? Except with the total erasure of Eilistraee. Thanks, I hate it.

Edit: More info https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/05/21/beyond-the-underdark-secrets-of-the-drow/content.html
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gary Dallison Posted - 12 Aug 2021 : 17:33:40
FR is still beautiful to me, just not the FR WoTC is peddling. Maybe it's my age, but I no longer need to buy the latest new shiny.

I follow the FR I love, and that is a mix of 1e, 2e, and 3e.

It's getting even better lately with the stuff Eric and George and Ed are creating that still expand the historic foundation upon which modern (1350-60s) FR is based.

There I more than enough content to keep a realms junky going for a lifetime so I see no reason to quit my addiction.

WoTC stuff is like paracetamol to my heroin, I dont want it or need it and I'm not going to pay for it, but that doesnt stop me enjoying the old stuff. I cant way for the series of adventure paths Eric is working on or George's next article.

Down with generic, flavourless, supermarket own brand Realms.
Long live the Forgotten Realms
CorellonsDevout Posted - 12 Aug 2021 : 17:25:59
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor
According to Chris Perkins they are splitting the canon into multiple canons, Novel Canon, Video Game Canon, Comics Canon, 1e Canon, 2e Canon, 3e Canon, 4e Canon, and 5e Canon, MtG Canon is not listed, but you could infer that is its own Canon too. They did it to clear things up for newbies and partners, but its only going to make it all more confusing because the settings lore was never designed for this.

Whelp that officially does it for me. I am done with D&D and done with FR. This even kills my desire to wanna play BG3 when it comes out. I'll stick to the other things I enjoy and hope people don't come and kill that too. It's been real all.

I am about at this point, too. I put all my FR stuff in storage boxes (don't want to get rid of them yet, as some of them are hard to get, and I will hang on to them in the slim hope that maybe if I come back in a few years, things will be better. Doubtful). But yeah, time to focus more on my other interests.
Eldacar Posted - 12 Aug 2021 : 13:28:26
quote:

According to Chris Perkins they are splitting the canon into multiple canons, Novel Canon, Video Game Canon, Comics Canon, 1e Canon, 2e Canon, 3e Canon, 4e Canon, and 5e Canon, MtG Canon is not listed, but you could infer that is its own Canon too.

You know, comic book companies have tried doing this several times across the years. It never works.
Caolin Posted - 12 Aug 2021 : 04:06:42
quote:
According to Chris Perkins they are splitting the canon into multiple canons, Novel Canon, Video Game Canon, Comics Canon, 1e Canon, 2e Canon, 3e Canon, 4e Canon, and 5e Canon, MtG Canon is not listed, but you could infer that is its own Canon too. They did it to clear things up for newbies and partners, but its only going to make it all more confusing because the settings lore was never designed for this.

Whelp that officially does it for me. I am done with D&D and done with FR. This even kills my desire to wanna play BG3 when it comes out. I'll stick to the other things I enjoy and hope people don't come and kill that too. It's been real all.
Irennan Posted - 10 Aug 2021 : 04:07:04
They will just make sure that the new novels align with their canon. The novel canon and module canon will still be the same for practical purposes (as in, what we read will be the same), all they said is just an excuse for them to ignore everything that came before, to warp it as they please, and so on.

If they don't want Jander to be freed, no novel will come out where he is freed. If they wanted him to be freed, that would probably be because they wanted to use him in a module.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 10 Aug 2021 : 03:50:56
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Not sure why the Aevendrow would be connected to that, though. I mean, yes, you could come up with some explanation and whatever, but it's not an immediate connection. It's just 2 elements that happen to be both located in similar areas.

You're right, probably won't happen, but just to show the connection/thought that was in my brain. These aevendrow might represent a rejoining of the elven people that occurred after the tree of souls was made, but before the descent was cast, so using the tree of souls as a center, maybe they all "relink" to it as a basis. They then find out that the casting of the descent "did" something to the high mages who performed the ritual as well, maybe weakening their ties to the feywild or somesuch. Elves end up becoming more "fey" again, and maybe some of them whose souls had somehow been entrapped somewhere return to life, prompting a return to old homes.

They're retconning the Descent, tho. The drow were never exiled in this version, Lolth just went to a bunch of them and said "yo, wanna go live underground? We have cookies", and they accepted. Meanwhile, the majority of drow founded those two other cities. I guess Miyeritar still gets nuked in this version (assuming it hasn't been retconned), but the question is: what the hell happened to Ilythiir, that the majority of its population had to run away and found 2 new cities? That's probably a non-issue, though, since Ilythiir was likely retconned too except in name (I guess they're going to call the drow who followed Lolth "Ilythiiri", and have the other civilizations originate from unknown nations, or exist in their current incarnation from the get go, rather than being founded after some drow followed Lolth). Another question is: why did those two drow civilizations remain hidden, if they make up the majority of the drow?

Idk, they could have played on the history of Ilythiir and Miyeritar to explain the existence of these 2 cities, but I'm wondering if the dudes in charge of this are even aware that the FR drow have always had multiple civilizations, with a long ass-history.

They also basically said that anything that is pre-2014 is no longer considered canon, and what is canon is what is in their products like the DMG. So, even if the novel line did resume (not including Drizzt, because RAS has never adhered to canon, anyway), they wouldn't be canon. Sure, they have their own "canon", but it's not the official canon. To pull an example from the thread on this topic, if a novel was about Jandar being freed from his horrible fate, unless they also addressed that in a module or guide, it wouldn't be considered "official" canon, and for all intents and purposes, Jander's situation is unchanged from OotA.
Irennan Posted - 10 Aug 2021 : 03:41:04
@Gyor, nah, that's just talk. There is still 1 canon, aka what they put in the stuff that they write, because that's what the current published setting is made up of. The new novels and other content will line up with the 5e vision, anything else would be counterproductive, especially for establishing their cinematic universe or whatever.

They're just saying that everything else won't matter until they want to, and in the way they want to, and trying to sugarcoat this with that PR talk.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Aug 2021 : 03:40:26
quote:

They did it to clear things up for newbies and partners, but its only going to make it all more confusing because the settings lore was never designed for this.

Of course, if this was really for newbies and partners, they could have printed a new campaign book -- which would have covered that stated goal *AND* given them something else to sell.
Gyor Posted - 10 Aug 2021 : 02:10:00
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not sure why the Aevendrow would be connected to that, though. I mean, yes, you could come up with some explanation and whatever, but it's not an immediate connection. It's just 2 elements that happen to be both located in similar areas.

You're right, probably won't happen, but just to show the connection/thought that was in my brain. These aevendrow might represent a rejoining of the elven people that occurred after the tree of souls was made, but before the descent was cast, so using the tree of souls as a center, maybe they all "relink" to it as a basis. They then find out that the casting of the descent "did" something to the high mages who performed the ritual as well, maybe weakening their ties to the feywild or somesuch. Elves end up becoming more "fey" again, and maybe some of them whose souls had somehow been entrapped somewhere return to life, prompting a return to old homes.

They're retconning the Descent, tho. The drow were never exiled in this version, Lolth just went to a bunch of them and said "yo, wanna go live underground? We have cookies", and they accepted. Meanwhile, the majority of drow founded those two other cities. I guess Miyeritar still gets nuked in this version (assuming it hasn't been retconned), but the question is: what the hell happened to Ilythiir, that the majority of its population had to run away and found 2 new cities? That's probably a non-issue, though, since Ilythiir was likely retconned too except in name (I guess they're going to call the drow who followed Lolth "Ilythiiri", and have the other civilizations originate from unknown nations, or exist in their current incarnation from the get go, rather than being founded after some drow followed Lolth). Another question is: why did those two drow civilizations remain hidden, if they make up the majority of the drow?

Idk, they could have played on the history of Ilythiir and Miyeritar to explain the existence of these 2 cities, but I'm wondering if the dudes in charge of this are even aware that the FR drow have always had multiple civilizations, with a long ass-history.

PattPlays Posted - 08 Jul 2021 : 03:41:54
quote:

The Promenade has also been entirely removed from Dungeon of the Mad Mage, where it should have totally been included (in the Skullport section). Especially given that the followers of Eilistraee were retaking it, which would have created possible plot hooks in the book. Not only WotC removed the Promenade, but on the part of the map where the Promenade should have been.

Preeaach this drove me nuts. I wanted to be able to think about where that one book character got mazed with a divine shard inside of them and be able to point to if on a map.
Irennan Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 21:44:07
Well, they've already spitted it out. I doubt they're going to retract that after having made it public.

As it is now it's a rewrite, yes. Which is stupid, because a story in which Lolth loses everything essentially writes itself, given how nonsensical the whole premise of her "society" is. It's one of those "oh, it's fantasy, so I can do whatever I want" things that only worked when fantasy was new and there were no criteria on how to make good worldbuilding (which isn't just about adding details, far from it).
deserk Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 21:02:03
quote:

The implication in the dragon mag articles is that Lolth's faith is but a niche cult among the drow as a whole (a change that has its merits, from the perspective of leading premises to their conclusion, like I've already discussed here, though the way it's implemented is underwhelming: they're just saying that it's always been like this).

Honestly i really hope that isn't the case.

Because if true, it would an unprecedented and massive rewrite of FR lore. And that would be really damaging to the integrity of the setting.
sleyvas Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 14:50:14
quote:

The implication in the dragon mag articles is that Lolth's faith is but a niche cult among the drow as a whole (a change that has its merits, from the perspective of leading premises to their conclusion, like I've already discussed here, though the way it's implemented is underwhelming: they're just saying that it's always been like this).

Ah, gotcha, guess I need to start reading dragon+ . I so fell out of following their magazines once they turned virtual.
Irennan Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 14:39:22
sleyvas Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 14:24:43
quote:

quote:

quote:

Just wondering, why do you use the term majority? Not saying your wrong... wondering if in my blazing through the reading I skipped something.
George Krashos Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 08:51:53
I'll wait to see the damage and then try and work out if it's fixable.

-- George Krashos
Irennan Posted - 04 Jul 2021 : 23:46:36
quote:

quote:

CorellonsDevout Posted - 02 Jul 2021 : 15:18:55
I don't think that line has anything to do with the tree of souls (and iirc, the souls were willing). My first thought when I read that synopsis was that it had something to do with the Wall, since the errata from the SCAG happened around the same time. But I am not sure if RAS would actually touch that, either (though he probably wouldn't pass up a chance to make deities look bad).
sleyvas Posted - 02 Jul 2021 : 13:07:21
quote:

Irennan Posted - 02 Jul 2021 : 08:25:17

Also, it's RAS, he won't use that plot hook (assuming that he even knows about it). If I had to guess, I'd say that the "saving" of souls probably has something to do with undoing/toying with the idea of Christian guilt and of the pseudo-Christian God that he forced into FR with the last book, and that he used for Entreri's torture redemption.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 23:15:13
One thing just popped in my head regarding these Aevendrow, and it might be worth reviewing with fellow sages.... because I can't QUITE recall my elven history. The Tree of Souls was taken from Evermeet because the elves would find some kind of healing in a snowy filled place or somesuch? They went somewhere cold and then had to go to Myth Drannor and planted the tree?

1371 DR - Prince Lamruil of Evermeet, his human consort Maura Silverhand (daughter of Laeral Silverhand), and their followers travel to the far northern reaches of Faerûn to establish a hidden city called Auseriel. They bring the Tree of Souls [–17600, 1373] with them, given to them by the prince’s mother, Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet, intending to plant it at the heart of a new refuge for the Fair Folk once the city begins to flourish.

1373 DR - Mirtul 2: Auseriel comes under concerted attack by a family of white dragons led by the great wyrm Harashnalthyn. At Maura’s insistence, Prince Lamruil returns the Tree of Souls [1371] to Evermeet [1371, 1374], while the princess and their remaining followers provide a valiant rearguard defense.

Mirtul 4: Prince Lamruil returns to Auseriel in the company of an elite band of elf knights. They find the hidden city abandoned and the corpses of a dozen white wyrms, but no trace of Princess Maura or her rearguard. The prince vows to rebuild the settlement, while continuing to search for a trace
of his vanished wife.

1377 DR Year of the Haunting
The Srinshee returns to Myth Drannor and offers Ilsevele Miritar the Rulers’ Blade in recognition of her wise and resolute leadership in the realm’s refounding. Ilsevele humbly accepts the Rulers’ Blade and takes the title of coronal. Queen Amlaruil arrives to congratulate the new coronal and brings with her the Tree of Souls as a gift to the new realm. The artifact is planted in a ring-shaped colonnade at the heart of the city known as Seldarrshen Nieryll, the Starsoul Shrine.

1380 DR
The High Mage Araevin Teshurr completes the restoration of Myth Drannor’s mythal and, after visits to Waterdeep, Aglarond, and Sildëyuir, sets out for the hidden realm of Auseriel. There he meets and befriends Prince Lamruil. The two elves leave Auseriel in the care of Lamruil’s seneschal and depart in search of the missing Princess Maura, set on the trail by the mysterious prophecy revealed by Araevin’s magic.

So, any chance this "healing" of the elven people might be involved with the aevendrow?

Noting as well that Araevin Teshurr was noted for doing some kind of bonding ceremony of high magic that bonded his soul with that of an eladrin.

Then there's this sentence from Starlight Enclave

Two different roads. On one, Jarlaxle and Zaknefein are on a quest to find pieces that could offer salvation to Menzoberranzan. On the other, Drizzt seeks answers that could offer salvation to not just his soul, but all souls.

High Magic ritual that uses the tree of souls as a part of it that relinks elven souls with the feywild or somesuch? Maybe renews magic itself or somesuch.

Irennan Posted - 30 Jun 2021 : 14:38:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Or it could have been that they asked him to give them some lore, and he did, and then later mentioned the character on Twitter.

In that case, Trelasarra would have been NDA. Ed introduced her in early 2020.

I think it more likely he created the info for them and for whatever reason, it wasn't NDA. Otherwise, whoever decided to include that card was just using something they found on the internet -- a scenario that the company's lawyers would frown on.

Maybe Ed created her for Death Masks. He said that WotC cut a lot of the lore about Eilistaree that he intended to include in that novel.
Irennan Posted - 30 Jun 2021 : 14:26:25
It's both the quality (MToF paints her as a deity that nearly nobody knows--even among drow or elves--and that is ever hopeless to achieve anything that is even barely meaningful), and intentionally forgoing to mention her in places where her inclusion would have been just natural, or expected (though Vhaeraun has it even worse).

This drow rework is one such things, but--using your example--we know that Ed introduced followers of Eilistraee trying to retake the Promenade and making allies with the Harpers of Waterdeep. Not only WotC cut a lot of this lore that Ed intended to include in Death Masks, leaving only a few scattered mentions, but when they talk about the drow in Waterdeep, they don't even drop a passing mention of a rather big event like Eilistraeans getting a temple in the North Ward (which we only get to know through Ed's tweets/Candlekeep, not official material, if we exclude the mentions in Death Masks, since they tell us next to nothing).

The Promenade has also been entirely removed from Dungeon of the Mad Mage, where it should have totally been included (in the Skullport section). Especially given that the followers of Eilistraee were retaking it, which would have created possible plot hooks in the book. Not only WotC removed the Promenade, but on the part of the map where the Promenade should have been, they instead put some Lolthite followers fighting a clan of bullywug (or whatever else) for the place. When they talk about its history, they don't even mention the Promenade or the other temples that used to be there before; they say that it used to be a temple to Dumathoin and nothing else. Basically, they retconned the Promenade out of existence entirely, while Ed was preparing it for being rebuilt (and they compensated that with a random small, abandoned shrine on the 10th level, that is even in a temple alongside shrines to the other Dark Seldarine, which makes 0 sense). This is one of the reasons why I was very surprised to see Trelasarra acknowledged, though I won't hold my breath for her being the informal leader of the Promenade like Ed designed her, because I don't think they've already shown that they don't want the Promenade around.
sleyvas Posted - 30 Jun 2021 : 13:46:44
I don't understand why folks don't think Eilistraee isn't getting representation in 5e? She's in the SCAG just as much as the other gods, and she's even listed outside of FR in MToF. There were references somewhere to their worshippers reoccupying the promenade. Or is the quality of the representation that is the focus?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jun 2021 : 11:41:12
quote:

quote:

Or it could have been that they asked him to give them some lore, and he did, and then later mentioned the character on Twitter.

I think it more likely he created the info for them and for whatever reason, it wasn't NDA. Otherwise, whoever decided to include that card was just using something they found on the internet -- a scenario that the company's lawyers would frown on.
Irennan Posted - 30 Jun 2021 : 07:56:42
If you're referring to Eilistraee herself, she does indeed appear in a few 5e products (a couple small writeups). Trelasarra hadn't been created yet in 3.5e, though.
keftiu Posted - 30 Jun 2021 : 07:15:55
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

This is great. Has she not appeared anywhere else in an official WOTC product? She's been mentioned in Ed's Twitter before-I know that....but I'm curious if she has shown up in any official products before this card?

Not since 3.5, I think.
Irennan Posted - 29 Jun 2021 : 20:04:58
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

No, first time, which makes me think WotC decided to acknowledge her. Looking forward to be proven wrong in my initial assumptions in this thread.

I wouldn't have thought that there was anyone at WoTC that followed Ed's twitter for stuff to add to their official products. They should do it more often!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2021 : 20:02:13
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

No, first time, which makes me think WotC decided to acknowledge her. Looking forward to be proven wrong in my initial assumptions in this thread.

I wouldn't have thought that there was anyone at WoTC that followed Ed's twitter for stuff to add to their official products. They should do it more often!

sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2021 : 20:00:01
I got an idea today while shaving, regarding the Lorendrow (the jungle ones). Figured here is as good a place as any to post a general concept. Forgive if I have a little bit of a lead in.

One thing I've wanted to introduce with the return from Abeir has been the concept that certain places in Faerun went to Abeir, and there were some gods that went with them to protect the people. A big thing in my view was that huge hole in the eastern Shaar that "collapsed". My take was "it didn't collapse... it went to Abeir and came back".

So, I wanted to have some Crintri princesses who had left Dambrath (each with a retinue of a few hundred servants, guards, and animal handlers) for the Shaar for a competition to prove who was more "fit", and it entirely involved "who can get their people to gather the largest herd of wild horses and bring them back to Dambrath". Spellplague happens. They transfer to Abeir. They can't go back to their homeland, and what was where their homeland is is something mean.

They end up in the Cliffside City of Peleverai... an old abandoned city, much destroyed by dragonfire on the outskirts, but the caves could be fixed up. Eventually, mulan/turami/other refugees fleeing Unther/Chessenta/Chondath end up coming there as well.

A very loose society forms between far flung Thayan refugees mostly for the purpose of trade, with some being down in Katashaka/Lopango, etc....

So, I'd been thinking for a while that Zakhara has a "dead" goddess named Kiga the Predator who presents as a jaguar goddess of hunting and death as a part of life, and that this goddess might still be around in Katashaka. I got the idea that some Crintri .... who no longer hear Loviatar... might find this goddess appealing. So, I was thinking that Kiga the Predator might be a goddess of some cat folk that gets brought to the Shaar. Thus, with the return, Crintri worshippers of a black cat goddess of hunting named Kiga might find male human worshippers of a black cat god of hunting lording it over their homeland and be pissed.

So, it hit me.... what if these Crintri didn't learn about Kiga from some cat folk (i.e. leonin / tabaxi / wemics)..... what if there are some Lorendrow that are encountered and THEY worship Kiga the Predator? The Crintri were so focused on gaining more drow blood in their bloodlines, the two societies might do well together.

To add further to this, what if these Lorendrow worshipping Kiga hear of Drizzt and his "enslavement" of this "great cat spirit" named Gwenhyvar (sp?) and they misinterpret things. What if they believe that Drizzt's animal companion is some kind of aspect of their goddess and the need to "free her".

Anyway, might be a little cheesy, but it popped in my head and I figured I'd throw it out.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000