Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Upcoming changes to drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  00:53:17  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
(No) thanks to Dark Alliance and other things:

https://dnd.wizards.com/story/legend-of-drizzt

quote:
The subterranean City of Spiders is the bastion of the Udadrow: drow elves who became tainted by Lolth’s insidious teachings. Udadrow society values ruthlessness, obedience, and a burning hatred of surface dwellers.

Even as some of their kin followed Lolth down to the Underdark, many drow elves rejected her, remaining true to their innate integrity. One band ventured north, vanishing from history behind curtains of snow, aurora, and illusion. They became the Aevendrow—or Starlight Elves—a highly secretive clan steeped in powerful magic.

The Aevendrow remain untainted by Lolth’s influence, and life in Callidae is radically different from that of oppressive Menzoberranzan. Yet, though many would rejoice to see it, almost no one—including the longest-lived elves—can quite remember its existence.

Head far enough south and one enters the territory of the Lorendrow, or “Greenshadow Elves.” Far from the Spider Queen and her terrors, the Lorendrow draw their wisdom from their environment: the generosity of earth; the mystery of sky; and the complex harmony of forest.

So basically, Udadrow = Lolthites, Aevendrow = Eilistraeens, Lorendrow = dark elves? Except with the total erasure of Eilistraee. Thanks, I hate it.

Edit: More info https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/05/21/beyond-the-underdark-secrets-of-the-drow/content.html

Edited by - sno4wy on 23 May 2021 00:20:54

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  01:02:43  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. That doesn't sound great. Instead of working with what they have, just retconning in new stuff out of thin air. There already were Star Elves too.

Edited by - TKU on 21 May 2021 01:06:27
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  01:20:35  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, it makes no difference to me if there are populations of good-aligned drow in the world. Drow are elves, after all, and there have always been good-aligned elves in Faerun.

The problem for me is that drow already get way too much focus in the Forgotten Realms books and adventures. Giving them yet more spotlight time is not what the setting needs. It also raises the question: Is Wizards going to do this with duergar too? And orcs? And every other race that people have (ridiculously, in my opinion) decided is an analog for something in the real-world?

Because that would get very tiresome very quickly and might actually end up doing more harm to the Forgotten Realms than the misbegotten Spellplague ever did.

Edited by - HighOne on 21 May 2021 01:21:42
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  01:52:44  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I don't see Duergar getting that work over. Maybe a good Duergar npc here or there but nothing like this. Orcs and Drow were the ones that were focused with criticism, and I don't see wotc doing this for each of the million or so evil and/or tribal creatures that they have published over the years, if only for the reason that this retcon sounds like it has handled with the finesse of a meat cleaver which doesn't speak much to a genuine investment by WotC to tackle these issues in a more appropriate way-working with the existing Drow settlements and other members of the Dark Seldarine, for example.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:08:25  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

Personally, it makes no difference to me if there are populations of good-aligned drow in the world. Drow are elves, after all, and there have always been good-aligned elves in Faerun.

The problem for me is that drow already get way too much focus in the Forgotten Realms books and adventures. Giving them yet more spotlight time is not what the setting needs. It also raises the question: Is Wizards going to do this with duergar too? And orcs? And every other race that people have (ridiculously, in my opinion) decided is an analog for something in the real-world?

Because that would get very tiresome very quickly and might actually end up doing more harm to the Forgotten Realms than the misbegotten Spellplague ever did.

Actually they already have years and years ago in 2e, there are Orc tribes worshippering Eldath Goddess of Peace, and of course Zakhara's orcs and drow worship the Zakharan Pantheon like pretty much almost of every other race in Zakhara besides Yakman.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:26:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

(No) thanks to Dark Alliance and other things:

https://dnd.wizards.com/story/legend-of-drizzt

quote:
The subterranean City of Spiders is the bastion of the Udadrow: drow elves who became tainted by Lolth’s insidious teachings. Udadrow society values ruthlessness, obedience, and a burning hatred of surface dwellers.

Even as some of their kin followed Lolth down to the Underdark, many drow elves rejected her, remaining true to their innate integrity. One band ventured north, vanishing from history behind curtains of snow, aurora, and illusion. They became the Aevendrow—or Starlight Elves—a highly secretive clan steeped in powerful magic.

The Aevendrow remain untainted by Lolth’s influence, and life in Callidae is radically different from that of oppressive Menzoberranzan. Yet, though many would rejoice to see it, almost no one—including the longest-lived elves—can quite remember its existence.

Head far enough south and one enters the territory of the Lorendrow, or “Greenshadow Elves.” Far from the Spider Queen and her terrors, the Lorendrow draw their wisdom from their environment: the generosity of earth; the mystery of sky; and the complex harmony of forest.

So basically, Udadrow = Lolthites, Aevendrow = Eilistraeens, Lorendrow = dark elves? Except with the total erasure of Eilistraee. Thanks, I hate it.

I don't why your blaming Dark Alliance, when DA is set in the past. Its RA's next upcoming novel, Starlight Enclave (clearly related to Starlight Elves, who will undoubtedly cause confusion with Star Elves), that is the source of this. Or more accurately WotC freaking out about the woke calling Drow and Orcs racist last year, they are making a push for none evil Drow civiluzations outside the Underdark.

I think Eilistraeens likely exist as subsets of Udadrow, Aevandrow, Lorendrow. In the case of the Udadrow they are Drow who have seen the light and turn to a Goddess who offers a better future, rebels against Lolth. In the other two's cases Eilistrae is likely worshipped along side the Seldarine, as unlike the rest of the Dark Seldarine she's on good terms with the Seldarine.
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:28:06  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading through some other interesting lore bits on the website:

"The Spider Queen is fueled by sacrifices performed by her priestesses, whose word is law in her city of Menzoberranzan. Those in her capricious favor bear the markings of Lolth’s embrace across their skin, and wield her divine powers. But woe to anyone whose marks begin to fade…"

Interestingly, Malice Do'Urden's picture has her with a bunch of white tattoos on her skin. I'm guessing these are supposed to be her markings? So you can tell who's a priestess now by white tattoos on their skin. Wonder if Baldur's Gate IIIs thing about Lolth blessing her followers with red eyes (while purple like Drizzt otherwise) is connected somehow-seems like Lolth marking her followers might be an idea WoTC is playing around with right now.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:30:54  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor
I don't why your blaming Dark Alliance, when DA is set in the past. Its RA's next upcoming novel, Starlight Enclave (clearly related to Starlight Elves, who will undoubtedly cause confusion with Star Elves), that is the source of this. Or more accurately WotC freaking out about the woke calling Drow and Orcs racist last year, they are making a push for none evil Drow civiluzations outside the Underdark.

The information I quoted is taken from the Dark Alliance page.

This new game, along with Salvatore's upcoming novel, introduces the new retcon I guess.

Edited by - sno4wy on 21 May 2021 02:31:54
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:46:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There already are goodly drow, and have been for a long time. They're followers of the goddess Eilistraee. And even the god Vhaeraun, who is technically "evil", offers a different path for the drow. But nooo, they are continually shoehorned, reduced to footnotes.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 21 May 2021 02:57:24
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:48:53  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is this move instigated by RAS? Rather than acknowledging Eilistraee (because how dare drow be good thanks to the tireless work of a goddess!) he's creating a whole new subrace?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:54:38  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

"The Spider Queen is fueled by sacrifices performed by her priestesses, whose word is law in her city of Menzoberranzan. Those in her capricious favor bear the markings of Lolth’s embrace across their skin, and wield her divine powers. But woe to anyone whose marks begin to fade…"

Interestingly, Malice Do'Urden's picture has her with a bunch of white tattoos on her skin. I'm guessing these are supposed to be her markings? So you can tell who's a priestess now by white tattoos on their skin. Wonder if Baldur's Gate IIIs thing about Lolth blessing her followers with red eyes (while purple like Drizzt otherwise) is connected somehow-seems like Lolth marking her followers might be an idea WoTC is playing around with right now.

Here's the thing, if whether a priestess is in favor with Lolth is basically literally written on their faces, what's the point of all the scheming and the guessing about who's in favor and who's not? It'd be obvious for all to see?
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:57:53  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

So is this move instigated by RAS? Rather than acknowledging Eilistraee (because how dare drow be good thanks to the tireless work of a goddess!) he's creating a whole new subrace?

I don't think this is something that they'd ever reveal, but it really feels that way. He's been pushing for her erasure since forever, it really sucks that they're doing it.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:06:38  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Some"

I like how we're going full on historical revisionism, like the entire drow pantheon isn'y made up of 99.9% evil chuckleheads.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:08:40  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

Here's the thing, if whether a priestess is in favor with Lolth is basically literally written on their faces, what's the point of all the scheming and the guessing about who's in favor and who's not? It'd be obvious for all to see?

Good question. But maybe it's a new thing Lolth is doing and not a ret-con.
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:09:54  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is very stupid, I agree. I don't know why WoTC keeps coming back to this idea of distinguishing Lolth's followers from other Drow physically.

Multiple hidden cities of good aligned drow, of which one at least seems to date back to the Descent, and without seemingly any connection to Eilistraee seems just about right given WoTC seemingly ongoing policy of pointedly ignoring her at every possibility.

At any rate, with the reveal of these two cities, the whole 'Starlight Drow/Starlight Enclave' connection with the upcoming book, and the whole white tattoos and red vs purple eyes thing I think we are seeing some jigsaw pieces finally fall into place on how WoTC is planning to tackle the 'Drow problem'. Not that I care for it, but it is illuminating to a degree.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:28:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

No, he's creating 2 new subraces (or subsubraces given Drow already are a subrace in 5e). And to be fair to RA Salvatore he's likely getting his marching orders from WotC, so he can't be blamed for this.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:30:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get the point of this. Drow are drow, whether they live in Menzoberranzan and worship Lolth or dance under the stars and worship Eilistraee.

I've also never gotten over the promotion of Menzoberranzan. It was originally stated to be of "middling" size and importance, and now it's described as being the center of the world for drow and all other drow cities have been forgotten.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:33:49  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

This is very stupid, I agree. I don't know why WoTC keeps coming back to this idea of distinguishing Lolth's followers from other Drow physically.

Multiple hidden cities of good aligned drow, of which one at least seems to date back to the Descent, and without seemingly any connection to Eilistraee seems just about right given WoTC seemingly ongoing policy of pointedly ignoring her at every possibility.

At any rate, with the reveal of these two cities, the whole 'Starlight Drow/Starlight Enclave' connection with the upcoming book, and the whole white tattoos and red vs purple eyes thing I think we are seeing some jigsaw pieces finally fall into place on how WoTC is planning to tackle the 'Drow problem'. Not that I care for it, but it is illuminating to a degree.

We don't actually know if there is an Eilistraee connection to these too new Goodly Drow cities or not, we don't even know for certain their locations on Faerun!

I suspect the Starlight Elves are located in the Coldlands, around Damara perhaps or Sossal. The Lorendrow Chult or nearby Jungle Kingdoms like Samarach, although outside possiblity of the Continent of Katashaka.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:38:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Saekolath

The teeming southern jungles conceal the drow elf city of Saekolath, populated by the Lorendrow—dwellers in the endless green.

Their verdant city is Saekolath—“Place of Shade”—and it wends between towering trees and chattering rivers. Even the most knowledgeable bard would be hard-pressed to sing its histories, and few northern adventurers have ever reached its borders."

Menzoberranzan

Deep in the Underdark lies the city of Menzoberranzan, stronghold of the cult of Lolth. This Udadrow society has become corrupted by the malicious goddess, who teaches them to despise all outsiders.

Read more...

The subterranean City of Spiders is the bastion of the Udadrow: drow elves who became tainted by Lolth’s insidious teachings. Udadrow society values ruthlessness, obedience, and a burning hatred of surface dwellers. Menzoberranzan’s young warriors raid surface villages, proving their worth by how many elves they destroy.

It was once widely believed that all drow elves lived belowground and worshipped Lolth. But truths that have long been buried are now beginning to come to light..."

"
Callidae

Far to the North lies Callidae; an Aevendrow enclave built of glittering ice. Few recall its location and even fewer know the secrets long guarded at its heart.

Read more...

The Aevendrow remain untainted by Lolth’s influence, and life in Callidae is radically different from that of oppressive Menzoberranzan. Yet, though many would rejoice to see it, almost no one—including the longest-lived elves—can quite remember its existence."

Callidae really minds me of the Santa Claus 2 & 3,a city hidden under ice (not underground, under ice), with Aurora Borelis, good elves of the North who keep their city a secret.

They've made Drow into Santa's elves #129315;#128514;#128523;.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  03:56:02  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of non-evil drow who really just don't care about Eilistraee is kind of amusing though. Maybe she just doesn't jive with them.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  04:16:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The idea of non-evil drow who really just don't care about Eilistraee is kind of amusing though. Maybe she just doesn't jive with them.

"Oh, we don't have a problem with Eilistraee's general philosophy. It is her insistence of her priestesses showing off their bazoombas. Certainly bazoombas have their place in polite society, just not 'in your face' all the time, so to speak."

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  04:22:40  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, imagine if the erasure of Eilistraee stemmed from boobies. I feel like Europeans would be laughing at us Americans for such a thing.
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  04:22:41  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't get the point of this. Drow are drow, whether they live in Menzoberranzan and worship Lolth or dance under the stars and worship Eilistraee.

I've also never gotten over the promotion of Menzoberranzan. It was originally stated to be of "middling" size and importance, and now it's described as being the center of the world for drow and all other drow cities have been forgotten.

Even Ched Nassad, it's sister city, was at one time presented as being the more powerful of the two, with Matron Aunrae being depicted as wielding more power than Yvonnel ever did, a larger population and a bigger military and incredibly wealthy. Its a real shame it got destroyed, because it could have been a useful narrative alternative to break up the usual Baenre/Menzoberranzean stuff in regards to drow storylines.

quote:
We don't actually know if there is an Eilistraee connection to these too new Goodly Drow cities or not, we don't even know for certain their locations on Faerun!

I suspect the Starlight Elves are located in the Coldlands, around Damara perhaps or Sossal. The Lorendrow Chult or nearby Jungle Kingdoms like Samarach, although outside possiblity of the Continent of Katashaka.

These seem to be rather old cities, the Starlight one seems to date back close to the Descent judging from the blurb, and has remained isolated all this time. It would be rather odd I think if Eilistraee had this booming city in her back pocket all this time and it was never relevant. Certainly Qilue could have really used some reinforcement at various times, so it feels very wrong that the center of their religion was struggling along with such a (comparatively) small manpower base all this time.

Plus there's the fact that the Starlight Elves thing seems like a very obvious tie to the next Drizzt book coming out soon, written by an author who is somewhat known by his avoidance of utilizing the other members of the Dark Seldarine-which gives me some reason to doubt that the Starlight Elves are followers of E.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  05:03:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Those names are killing me.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  05:20:09  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU:<br>
It would be rather odd I think if Eilistraee had this booming city in her back pocket all this time and it was never relevant. Certainly Qilue could have really used some reinforcement at various times, so it feels very wrong that the center of their religion was struggling along with such a (comparatively) small manpower base all this time.
The way I think it will work is that the drow of the Underdark are the only ones who worship the Dark Seldarine. The other drow probably worship Corellon, Hanali, etc. I imagine their stance toward their evil, Underdark-dwelling cousins is something along the lines of, "It was your choice to follow an evil goddess. You got yourselves into this mess, now get yourselves out." Why would they care about redeeming the evil drow or coming to their aid?
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  05:36:30  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TKU:<br>
It would be rather odd I think if Eilistraee had this booming city in her back pocket all this time and it was never relevant. Certainly Qilue could have really used some reinforcement at various times, so it feels very wrong that the center of their religion was struggling along with such a (comparatively) small manpower base all this time.
The way I think it will work is that the drow of the Underdark are the only ones who worship the Dark Seldarine. The other drow probably worship Corellon, Hanali, etc. I imagine their stance toward their evil, Underdark-dwelling cousins is something along the lines of, "It was your choice to follow an evil goddess. You got yourselves into this mess, now get yourselves out." Why would they care about redeeming the evil drow or coming to their aid?

Well, the Eilistraeens and to a lesser extent the Vhaeraunites pare strongly associated with having large portions of their followers above ground. In the later case recolonizing the surface is even part of religious doctrine. Even Lolthite Drow have colonized the surface in the past-the nation of Dambrath. Plus, one of these new cities is above ground, the other belowground, so I don't think 'Udadrow' makes much sense as a word to distinguish surface drow and underdark drow.

And introducing these new populations of drow that are big enough(?) that lumping all other drow we have ever read about before under one big umbrella of 'udadrow' is appropriate parity with nomenclature is really weird. Like there always were these huge populations of uncorrupted good drow and Eilistraee had nothing to do with them really kinda throws her theme out the window and begs the question 'what really is her point when everything she's accomplished in all the editions is surpassed by these two new cities being airdropped into the setting?'
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  07:26:11  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, he's creating 2 new subraces (or subsubraces given Drow already are a subrace in 5e). And to be fair to RA Salvatore he's likely getting his marching orders from WotC, so he can't be blamed for this.

Knowing RAS, I can't rule out he is to blame for this. It won't be the first time he changes something just because he don't like it...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  09:27:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me rudely cut to the meat of this.
It's the same "Creative & Collaborative Community".
Which in "D&D 4" made stupid "Elf Mk II" thing for making better Mary Sues.
Now they made stupid "Drow 2.0" thing for making better Mary Sues (but this time out of Drow 1.0, which counts as a new idea and So Creative).
And they lifted the "trademarkable stupid names" thing (for elves, no less) wholesale from Warphammer marketroids. "AE" was a dead giveaway (being more collaborative than creative... again).
Does this miss anything substantial?

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Knowing RAS, I can't rule out he is to blame for this. It won't be the first time he changes something just because he don't like it...

I'm usually not the one to argue for RAS not messing things up, but not a chance.
He would make silly names that are not tongue twisters, something like "pickle-tickle". He would not put anything like "AE" there.
He will, however, be used as a scapegoat for any drow nonsense. I expect a wave of sudden "Reee! RAS!!1", much like we have seen all the "Reee! Greenwood!". Shortly before 5.5 rolls in.

edit: changed "Elf 2.0" to "Elf Mk II" to comply with the accepted terminology.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 21 May 2021 09:52:17
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  10:13:15  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sudden appearance of a thriving good drow civilization kind of undermines the kind of sacrifice and struggle drow face in turning away from evil. Let's face it, for all that WotC tries to sanitize and retcon stuff, drow ARE synonymous with evil, and it undermines people like Drizz't and Liriel who have to willingly, willfully turn their back to everything they know.

It also makes drow racism come off nonsensical, because suspicion and hatred of the drow is a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion to have of them. Rebellious drow have to struggle against those stereotypes for good reason, because they are 100% true.

Amusingly enough, Eilistraee herself is pretty undermined in canon D&D; the Forgotten Realms are the only place she has a presence outside of the other spheres where the Dark Seldarine are worshipped - Lolth's top priestess isn't even from the Realms, she's from Oerth. It would be interesting to have Eilistraee grappling with the other evil powers happy to accept the drow into their fold, prime among theme being Kanchelsis.

Edited by - LordofBones on 21 May 2021 10:13:33
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  10:47:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The sudden appearance of a thriving good drow civilization kind of undermines the kind of sacrifice and struggle drow face in turning away from evil. Let's face it, for all that WotC tries to sanitize and retcon stuff, drow ARE synonymous with evil, and it undermines people like Drizz't and Liriel who have to willingly, willfully turn their back to everything they know.

It also makes drow racism come off nonsensical, because suspicion and hatred of the drow is a perfectly valid and reasonable opinion to have of them. Rebellious drow have to struggle against those stereotypes for good reason, because they are 100% true.

Amusingly enough, Eilistraee herself is pretty undermined in canon D&D; the Forgotten Realms are the only place she has a presence outside of the other spheres where the Dark Seldarine are worshipped - Lolth's top priestess isn't even from the Realms, she's from Oerth. It would be interesting to have Eilistraee grappling with the other evil powers happy to accept the drow into their fold, prime among theme being Kanchelsis.

That struggle still exists for the Underdark Udadrow, the Udadrow don't even know the other Drow races exist, aside from Buddha Ranger Drow Drizzt.

And I think the Demihuman Pantheons like the Dark Seldarine got unified so if Greyhawk gets updated for 5e, Eilistraee will likely get added to the setting, along side her Paladin sister whose still apart of the Seldarine.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  10:53:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man, come on, you can't be for real. Goodly drow civilizations have been a thing in FR since friggin' forever. We're talking 30+ years here. It's friggin' older than me!

Eilistraee's culture predates Lolth's (in-universe, in FR), and led to one of the greatest hubs of magic and arts of its era. Despite the Dark Disaster, Eilistraeans have been working to rebuild and to make themselves known for friggin' millennia. They're certainly relevant, WotC is just obsessed with downplaying them at every opportunity, even if it makes for a totally nonsensical narrative.

Even among Lolthites, most of them (the commoners, that everyone that takes part in these discussions seems to conveniently forget) have never been evil. The commoners have been portrayed as miserable victims ever since 2e, who would never look back if given a chance at a better life. So, really, I have no idea where you're coming from.

About the "struggles to turn to good" or whatever", no it doesn't. Those characters had their struggles, the fact that non-Lolth civilizations exist doesn't deny those struggles in any way, shape, or form. Besides, in Liriel's story, she even bonded with the Eilistraean civiliazion, and Eilistraee plays a key role in empowering her to follow the path she wanted to follow, forge their rune, and find her palce in the surface world. Elaine Cunningham's paints very well Eilistraee in her role as a mother and empowerer for the drow. Using Elaine's words, to Liriel, Eilistraee remains the sheer and free joy of life, as well as the feeling of belonging, that she got to discover and emrbace in her journey.

Do you know what lessens their struggles? The poor quality of the worldbuilding behind Lolth, and the non-narrative that her society is. The absence of whole movements of rebellion in a society that's far worse than the worst RW societies ever, of widespread disillusion, of resentment lessens the "battle for goodness" of this handful special characters.

One, because it makes them come off as massive Mary Sues. The scenario in which they act is extremely farfetched, and it looks like it was built not to tell a good story of rebellion and moral choices, but to make the protagonist "super special", misunderstood, and giving them the right to endlessly brood about how unfair things are, and how he's the only one among his people to ever understand the difference between good and evil and whatever. In fact, Liriel's story is much better written than Drizzt's, because--aside from Liriel having a clear fatal flaw, a very specific goal and motivation, and not being "the super special morally pure character, who is misunderstood by everyone"--the drow in Liriel's story are not a pure caricature, they include a variety of cultures, and one of these cultures is even a positive presence in Liriel's journey.

quote:

Yes, it's indeed nonsenical. Honestly, it comes off as an excuse to add justified racist feelings to fantasy, or an excuse to make Drizzt even more of a misunderstood Mary Sue.

Eilistraee has been working to build friendships with other races for millennia, and--as I said--her culture predates Lolth's in the Realms. There were times in history when Eilistraee was greatly successful (see the alliance with Myth Drannor, and her spreading presence in the current post-Sundering era--Eilistraeans have a presence within Waterdeep, for example, sponsored by the Harpers), and given the nature of Eilistraean activies, if we exclude areas of intense Lolthite activity, surfacers are far more likely to meet an Eilistraean than a Lolthite.

Now, add the fact that sheer reproduction alone, with the blessing of a goddess that goes out of her way to make the drow thrive (and is even tied to motherhood and female fertility), should have been enough for the Eilistraeans to have comparable numbers to the population of drow who is portrayed as doing absolutely nothing except going on raids and backstabbing each other all day long, in an environment that wants to eat them, with actually productive activities being a footnote at best (though they are said to magically have super-advanced technology and magic, because Mary Sue race, of course). It's obvious that the developers didn't think things through, and just went with their own bias. The reason why Eilistraeans are said to be so few doesn't come from logic, but from the dudebros at WotC disliking the idea. That's it.

Now, you may argue that Vhaeraun makes all the work of Eilistraeans pointless, but here's the thing: Vhaeraunites don't randomly assault people. Their action is much slower and less overt. They try to build a presence too, to spread their roots, build networks etc... They aren't the kind of organization that would make a mess, because they *gasp* actually make sense as villains, and aren't shit writing like Lolth.

------------------------------

There's much more. I've typed this stuff may times, but here we go again, if you want to read.

quote:

Lolth, as written, should have already lost her position as main drow deity millennia ago, but author bias/plot armor have prevented the premise of the worldbuilding behind the drow to be explored. I'll explain.

2e Menzoberranzan: "A drow given the taste of freedom will never look back". The main factor that would lead the drow to spurn Lolth is the simple desire to improve their own conditions. It's related to wanting to fulfil oneself and not be miserable, which everyone wants.

In 2e, the drow commoners were described as unhappy with Lolth; in other sources they're also portrayed as perpetually miserable and trapped in a system that intentionally prevents their development and growth, from a personal, economic, and social standpoint. There's a difference between meritocracy (which is what Lolth should be about but totally isn't--nepotism and stagnation are a staple of her society), and making most people live like sh*t and waste all their strength in randomly backstabbing each other, because "muh powah...". However, the further we go with the editions, the more uniform the Lolthite society is depicted. Which leads to my next point.

Lolth doesn't care for the drow and that's evident; she only cares that they remain bound to her, and she has actively hampered them for millennia. This has been canon since 2e: the the drow would be 100x better w/o Lolth. With that premise, they should have never gone through more than 12000 years of total misery without one meaningful change--heck, with 0 attempts at a change. Without splinter movements (Eilistraee and Vhaeraun aren't splinter movements, because their societies didn't form within Lolthite society; they're external cultures), without disillusion and resentment towards Lolth forming among the drow. They should have formed splinter movements fighting for different ideas; schisms should have happened and deepened; the society should have changed, fractured, and evolved. Not having any of that with a premise as ridiculous as Lolth's is a narrative failure.

You might say that the theocracy, totalitarianism, or what you have prevents the drow from developing those feelings and intentions, but that's baseless. When a society is so ridiculous that you have laughable stuff like "loving your kids is weakness", when commoners have no rights or anything, can be killed for fun by nobles, can be bankrupted for fun by priestesses (and subsequently enslaved)--this is all in the lore across the editions, btw--when the vast majority of drow is perpetually emotionally and materially miserable, it makes sense for them to lose faith. To be disilluded. Especially since the drow are often described as a highly intelligent race. Yes, there's resistance to change, against giving up the set of belief that ruled your life, but:

1)That can only sussist when you have something to gain (either on a psychological, or social, or economical level)

2)All goes out of the window when the premise is so ridiculous even chickens can laugh at it (and Lolth's is)

3)That can never justify the lack of whole splinter movements and major upheavals, which, in turn, would make it easier and easier for people to recognize the rality of the situation.

And this is just commoners. Miserable people, the "have nots" are usually shut down from a social perspective, and it's unlikely for change to start from them--they're in the so-called quiet desperation. Change starts from the "have some, want more", which abound among the Lolthites. Minor houses who don't like Lolth, male wizards, merchant clans, other drow cultures/churches (who are totally able to infiltrate Lolthite environments. Look: Masked Traitors, Secret Moondancers, Silverhair Knights)--they would all greatly benefit from an uprising, and have tools to achieve it. Heck, the other deities and churches could even support the wizards/merchants/dissatisfied nobles. With that in mind, channeling the anger of the drow commoners would be a totally feasible task, and should have happened plenty of times over 12000 years of misery.

You can't even use fear of death as an excuse, because 1)the drow are always risking death in the Lolthite society 2)it has never been enough to prevent formation of splinter movents, changes, etc... It hasn't been for RW societies, it isn't for the drow, who also have the support of other deities, and don't just have Lolth.

Before someone comes up with "but North Korea" to justify why the totalitarianism works, there are A LOT of North Koreans who are disillusioned with the regime and try to escape; they only put up a facade of obedience. Also, how many rebellions have oppressed people attempted over the course of human history? However, not even something as basic as this is mentioned for the D&D drow--it's always "<1% reject Lolth". Heck, in FR that disillusion alone would be even enough to hurt Lolth's power. Lolth's followers have more influence on her than she has on them. In FR, the power of a deity has always depended on the faith they get from their followers (as shown by Eilistraee being reduced into powerlessness after the Sun Elves literally magic-nuked her nation, or Auppenser being also reduced into powerlessness after the elves genocided Jhaamdath). Ever since the Times of Troubles, a god's own life has depended on the faith they get. Disillusion, even if not openly manifested (therefore this wouldn't even require the drow to actively do anything, just develop resentment or disillusion--a natural response to living like sh*t), will severely hurt Lolth.

On top of this, as mentioned, there are other deities defending change and growth. You have the followers of Eilistraee--and Eilistraee herself--who have been actively reaching for the drow, even materially helping them embrace a different path, even risking their life for them. They have whole orders dedicated to that--including infiltrating Lolthite cities to rescue drow in need. Eilistraee has also been showing all drow--including the matron mothers--what life can actually be, that an alternative exists, and has been doing so by directly contacting the drow through dreams for millennia. She's been calling them to her.

Vhaeraun is a revolutionary who has constantly carried disruptive actions against the Lolthite regimes, to the point of unleashing massive conflicts and civil wars within Lolthite cities. He appeals and offers power to the downthrodden males, which is big in a society like Lolth's, while still offering them the promises of glory and supremacy that they are so hooked on.

Yet, despite the ridiculousness of the condition of the drow commoners, the dissatisfaction of many categories of "have some, want more", despite all the basis for changes and uprising being there, of catalysts (including divine catalysts) for such uprising existing, the overall lore of the drow remains always the same: 90+% are loyal to Lolth. It's stupid, it's even illogical from a purely numerical standpoint (like, other cultures who go live elsewhere never reproduce? They have divine protection too, and of deities who actually care about them, yet their numbers never change in proportion? Wtf?). It's also definitely not "because of story". The lack of change, even just significant disillusion, not only is extremely lazy, it defeats one of the pillars of narrative: exploring the consequences of actions, conditions, and false truths, because the Lolthite drow want to be one of the most Stupid Evil (tm) societies in fantasy, without any of the consequences. It's as if the drow lack any drive to improve their condition.

Also, the drow have history and tradition before Lolth; they weren't a blank slate. They had the experience of the power reached by Ilythiir (which was without Lolth, and with Vhaeraun), and the propserity of Miyeritar (again, no Lolth, but Eilistraee). This legacy should have been influential in leading more of them to see Lolth for the fraud she is.

It's not for nothing that Ed Greenwood's division of the drow places Lolth at slightly less than 50%, not at 90%+, in his own version of the Forgotten Realms.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 21 May 2021 11:17:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000