Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Netheril/Halruuan names

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ElfBane Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 19:22:54
Are there any sourcebooks or other references to Netheril/Halruuan clan/family names?
Thanks!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Nov 2020 : 11:12:17
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

What is a "Loroos dictionary"?

I believe that was supposed to be Loross, the language spoken in Netheril.
ElfBane Posted - 03 Nov 2020 : 07:22:54
What is a "Loroos dictionary"?
PattPlays Posted - 03 Nov 2020 : 02:35:46
5e's Out Of The Abyss contains a netherese noble half-elven sorceress named Brysis Khaem. Could be completely made up for the module though. Likely is.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 23:28:19
On Netherese names:

Oct 18, 2020

@Vrgazze

could you help me? I will play with a male Human High Netherese from the Arcane Age that travel time to 1490. Could you help me giving characteristic names and surnames(family names) for this character? Is there any Loroos dictionary?

@TheEdVerse

Sure. This topic comes up here at Twitter every year or so, and I’ve answered it many times, so please be aware that I’m generalizing here.

Netherese rarely use surnames. Except for noble or ruling families (like the Tanthuls,of Thultanthar). Here are some other examples of those ‘high’ surnames:
Arimmon, Glest, Heirakaunt, Larezmiir, Maeraklaervel, Norlyal, Orivven, Yadanth

Given names often use double-a constructions, end in ‘ol’ more than the namings of other times and cultures, often begin with M, and often include ‘oun’ or ‘aun.’

Male examples: Aglaren, Bezoarn, Clarbrennus, Dyrar, Eirol, Ethuud (pronounced “Eth-OOD”), Lamorund, Malant, Mlaarol, Naraeyn, Orthol, Rivalagorn, Skord, Tabrakh, Vaereth, Yulvaun.

Female examples: Althyroun, Aelroune, Cathaele, Ethree, Haele, Jounraele, Kalathe, Maeraele, Nyrindral, Noeene, Olone, Ryndra, Saaraunra, Tylue, Uele (pronounced “Oo-ell”), Vyruil, Woave, Yakla, Yariil, Zoale, Zoare, Zorele.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any publicly-available Loroos dictionary, just an internal (and NDA'd) Wizards "dropbucket o'added words" file.
#Realmslore
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 23:00:48
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Thank you George! I already had "Councilors and Kings" and Shining South(3E). So I went to the DMs Guild and bought "Netheril: Empire of Magic" and FR16 The Shining South. That should keep me busy.
Is Ed's Twitter stuff posted here on Candlekeep?

It is when I find the time!

I did recently get mostly caught up on collecting Twitter responses. I'll post the relevant one here when I can switch from my work computer to my personal one.
ElfBane Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 22:26:06
Thank you George! I already had "Councilors and Kings" and Shining South(3E). So I went to the DMs Guild and bought "Netheril: Empire of Magic" and FR16 The Shining South. That should keep me busy.
Is Ed's Twitter stuff posted here on Candlekeep?
George Krashos Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 20:04:25
Ed recently proveded some Netherese names on his Twitter feed. Otherwise you'll have to trawl through the Netheril boxed set, FR16 The Shining South, Shining South (3E) and Elaine Cunningham's "Councillors and Kings" novel trilogy for names. There's no "list" that I'm aware of. Ed has previously posted here at Candlekeep that almost all of the wizard names in the Netheril boxed set are shortened derivations of their "real names".

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000