Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Netheril/Halruuan names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  19:22:54  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any sourcebooks or other references to Netheril/Halruuan clan/family names?
Thanks!

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  20:04:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed recently proveded some Netherese names on his Twitter feed. Otherwise you'll have to trawl through the Netheril boxed set, FR16 The Shining South, Shining South (3E) and Elaine Cunningham's "Councillors and Kings" novel trilogy for names. There's no "list" that I'm aware of. Ed has previously posted here at Candlekeep that almost all of the wizard names in the Netheril boxed set are shortened derivations of their "real names".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  22:26:06  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you George! I already had "Councilors and Kings" and Shining South(3E). So I went to the DMs Guild and bought "Netheril: Empire of Magic" and FR16 The Shining South. That should keep me busy.
Is Ed's Twitter stuff posted here on Candlekeep?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  23:00:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Thank you George! I already had "Councilors and Kings" and Shining South(3E). So I went to the DMs Guild and bought "Netheril: Empire of Magic" and FR16 The Shining South. That should keep me busy.
Is Ed's Twitter stuff posted here on Candlekeep?

It is when I find the time!

I did recently get mostly caught up on collecting Twitter responses. I'll post the relevant one here when I can switch from my work computer to my personal one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  23:28:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Netherese names:

Oct 18, 2020

@Vrgazze

could you help me? I will play with a male Human High Netherese from the Arcane Age that travel time to 1490. Could you help me giving characteristic names and surnames(family names) for this character? Is there any Loroos dictionary?

@TheEdVerse

Sure. This topic comes up here at Twitter every year or so, and I’ve answered it many times, so please be aware that I’m generalizing here.

Netherese rarely use surnames. Except for noble or ruling families (like the Tanthuls,of Thultanthar). Here are some other examples of those ‘high’ surnames:
Arimmon, Glest, Heirakaunt, Larezmiir, Maeraklaervel, Norlyal, Orivven, Yadanth

Given names often use double-a constructions, end in ‘ol’ more than the namings of other times and cultures, often begin with M, and often include ‘oun’ or ‘aun.’

Male examples: Aglaren, Bezoarn, Clarbrennus, Dyrar, Eirol, Ethuud (pronounced “Eth-OOD”), Lamorund, Malant, Mlaarol, Naraeyn, Orthol, Rivalagorn, Skord, Tabrakh, Vaereth, Yulvaun.

Female examples: Althyroun, Aelroune, Cathaele, Ethree, Haele, Jounraele, Kalathe, Maeraele, Nyrindral, Noeene, Olone, Ryndra, Saaraunra, Tylue, Uele (pronounced “Oo-ell”), Vyruil, Woave, Yakla, Yariil, Zoale, Zoare, Zorele.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any publicly-available Loroos dictionary, just an internal (and NDA'd) Wizards "dropbucket o'added words" file.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2020 :  02:35:46  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5e's Out Of The Abyss contains a netherese noble half-elven sorceress named Brysis Khaem. Could be completely made up for the module though. Likely is.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2020 :  07:22:54  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is a "Loroos dictionary"?

Edited by - ElfBane on 03 Nov 2020 07:23:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2020 :  11:12:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

What is a "Loroos dictionary"?

I believe that was supposed to be Loross, the language spoken in Netheril.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000