Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which drow turn back to green elves?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sylrae Posted - 18 Jun 2010 : 12:54:03
House Melarn...
Any details on what other houses are miyeritari?

Did anyone else transform?

Vhaeraun/Eilistraee worshippers?
Eilistraee worshippers only?

All good drow?

And is there a specific date listed that it happens?

It'll be good to know for a future campaign I'm running. The miyeritariwill have wood elf abilities with drow weapon proficiencies (and access to drow cultural feats), but I'd like to know fluff wise who qualifies, and what their numbers are like.

Some of this I could get by rereading lady penitent but that would take more time than I've got for it at the moment.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KacyCrawford Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 10:05:58
lol thats a great one
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Jul 2013 : 03:55:59
quote:
Originally posted by Aryalómė

On a side note: the original Ssri-Tel'Quessir were dark skin like the drow and has similar hair and eye colours in past editions.

In my 'overhaul' of the Realms, I'm keeping it like that, but giving the original dark elves a sort of dark grey skin tone with a larger variety in hair and eye colours with the drow have black skin, almost uniformly white hair and their usual eye colours, with red being very dominant.

I just wish the writers and other people would just stop trying to make the Elves 'good'. They clearly aren't 'good' and don't need to be treated like a 'good' people. Make them different than the other people, make them kind of alien to humans and other creatures, but most importantly: STOP RIPPING OFF TOLKIEN. Make something original, I mean damn.

P.S. How many times have I mentioned that I REALLY detest how all Elves are supposed to be nature boys/girls? Can we please move away from that?

You DO realize that elves are a type of FEY, right? They are- by definition- nature spirits/magical forest or earth-based beings. Tolkien was basing HIS elves off of the "alfar" of ancient Norse and Celtic mythologies. They WERE spirits or beings of light/nature/the earth. So much for originality. Tolkien was no more original himself. And having elves be highly talented wizards and such is well within the bounds of folklore as well. They have been viewed as shape-shifters/ illusionists/ tricksters/ weather-mages from long before Tolkien got hold of them. Look at old Welsh, Irish or Anglo-Saxon folklore. Elves were neither good nor evil, but were nearly always associated with the "sidhe" or fairy mounds, usually in deep forests, rural hills, streams, lakes, or other isolated places.
jerrod Posted - 21 Jul 2013 : 21:37:28
I thought gold elves were cosmopolitan and not as nature based. Massive libraries,powerful wizards,and armored knights.
Aryalómė Posted - 21 Jul 2013 : 15:14:39
On a side note: the original Ssri-Tel'Quessir were dark skin like the drow and has similar hair and eye colours in past editions.

In my 'overhaul' of the Realms, I'm keeping it like that, but giving the original dark elves a sort of dark grey skin tone with a larger variety in hair and eye colours with the drow have black skin, almost uniformly white hair and their usual eye colours, with red being very dominant.

I just wish the writers and other people would just stop trying to make the Elves 'good'. They clearly aren't 'good' and don't need to be treated like a 'good' people. Make them different than the other people, make them kind of alien to humans and other creatures, but most importantly: STOP RIPPING OFF TOLKIEN. Make something original, I mean damn.

P.S. How many times have I mentioned that I REALLY detest how all Elves are supposed to be nature boys/girls? Can we please move away from that?
Kentinal Posted - 21 Jul 2013 : 06:42:48
Some people are so demanding wanting in answer is less then a week.

According to the Grand History of The Realms dark elves were green elves just darker hue or words to that effect. That a nation of miyeritar be establish with the same green elves clearly makes sense, as far as ilythiiri nation goes clearly they might have been more aggressive or just protective of their nation.

One thing to remember the winners write most of the History. The Gold Elves that started the Crown wars get a few criticism, the Dark Elves in defense get most of the blame even though they did not start the series of wars.
jerrod Posted - 21 Jul 2013 : 05:45:30
Well I really dnt know. Just nice to know someone is actually paying attention to what I post! Lol
Irennan Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 11:55:25
How is it related to what we're discussing?

I enjoy percussion instruments, even if only in an appropriate context. Does that make my mindset tribal?

jerrod Posted - 20 Jul 2013 : 11:30:01
even the music enjoyed by sylvan and drow are percussion instruments like drums
Irennan Posted - 18 Jul 2013 : 00:11:15
Nonetheless, both Green and Dark Elves have built advanced empires, which are far different from -using your words- the ''native american'', or ''african tribes'' kind of society.

Also, as far as I can see, City-States are not tribe-like structures. That would imply that ancient Greeks had a tribal mindset too (which -AFAIK- is not the case).

IRL, Humans used to live organized in tribes too at the beginning of their history, yet you don't say that they currently live like that...
jerrod Posted - 17 Jul 2013 : 23:07:19
In the drow of the underdark,it refers to the"tribes of ilythiiri" darkelves were jungle dwelling.some of the darkelves migrated north to get away from the more warlike tribes thus joining the woodelves of the north to form miyeritar.tribal doesnt mean uncivilized.drow are still of a tribal mindset(city states with Individual leaders,unbeholden to any but their councels and gods.
Irennan Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 23:23:13
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

Im of the opinion that the greenelves are a a race in the fact that they are nature based societies like green\native american and darkelf/african tribel.

Green and Dark Elven society isn't organized in tribes, AFAIK. Miyeritar was one of their Realms, and it was as advanced as Aryvandaar; Illefarn was equally shared among Moon, Sun and Green Elves -IIRC- and it was far from tribal...

The fact that these races of elves live in harmony with nature doesn't automatically impy that they are primitive.
jerrod Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 23:04:49
Im of the opinion that the greenelves are a a race in the fact that they are nature based societies like green\native american and darkelf/african tribel.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 22:54:01
It has been a while since I've read the LP trilogy (and I'm dying for a follow-up, but WotC doesn't seem that interested), so I don't remember it describing drow being a subrace of green elves. Oh, how closely related Shevarash is to the people he hates XD
jerrod Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 02:51:27
I share markustay's opinion on the seldarine....whole-Heartedly. Yet if HIGH lady ordalf and her son are examples of the so-called pure bred children of corellon than its no wonder the gold elves treated the darkelves with such callous regard. They were imitating the leshay!
Irennan Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 01:39:51
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

While we are on the subject...drow are suppose to be intelligent and lolth and corellon are both considered to be smart to,so how did they make such ignorant children? Vhearaun was still wounded from fighting selvetarm so why would he attack his sister in her realm?And why would the dark maiden trust lady penitant enough to confront her with NO protection or precautions? We're talking about beings with the knowledge of eons and worlds making glaring error in judgment that go against the doctrine and traditions of their followers.

The answer is quite simple: WotC decided that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (and Kiaransalee and Selvertarm) shouldn't be in the canonical Realms and tasked some writer to get rid of them. The reason why their behaviour was so lame* in the novel is beyond me, but I suspect that the author wanted to leave room for their return (which, in fact, was going to happen last summer, before wizards decided that they didn't want it to happen) and for that reason left such blatant loopholes.

*AFAIK Lolth doesn't actually do anything concrete, they basically defeat themselves (and there is no compelling reason why someone as smart as a god would gamble everything on a chess match).

EDIT:
quote:
That's why deities should never be anthopomorphisised in fiction.

If their role is well ''played'' and it enriches the story, why not? It's having deities doing stuff so stupid that even a child would laugh at them that shouldn't happen...
George Krashos Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 01:20:21
That's why deities should never be anthopomorphisised in fiction.

-- George Krashos
jerrod Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 01:05:44
While we are on the subject...drow are suppose to be intelligent and lolth and corellon are both considered to be smart to,so how did they make such ignorant children? Vhearaun was still wounded from fighting selvetarm so why would he attack his sister in her realm?And why would the dark maiden trust lady penitant enough to confront her with NO protection or precautions? We're talking about beings with the knowledge of eons and worlds making glaring error in judgment that go against the doctrine and traditions of their followers.
sfdragon Posted - 13 Jul 2013 : 00:08:05
and one would wonder why some of us ignore the LP series.

no sense whatsoever just like the death of mystra, the death of Helm., and msot of alot of other things......

as to which drow. which ever ones you want got ch anged and the ones that you dont want changed didnt.

moving on....
Irennan Posted - 12 Jul 2013 : 21:06:33
Both Corellon's and the high mages'. The reasoning behind it was pretty much this:

''Oh, the dark elves used dark powah (i.e granted by Lolth/Vhaearun/Ghaunadaur) in a war where countless episodes of mass extermination happened and where even ''darker'' magic was used? The must definitely be cursed forevah! And all their descendants too! And even the survivors of Miyeritar, who were actually victims!''

The hypocrisy and idiocy in this act is what prevents me from liking the Realmsian version of Corellon and the elves, as they still believe that the Descent makes sense.

Also, this is why the ''redemption'' makes very little sense. Seriously, what are they being redeemed for? Being born as drow? This concept sucks IMO. Eilistraee and her followers mean ''redemption'' as in taking a stand and forging one's own future instead of being brainwashed by Lolth, not as in being turned into a wood elf.
Eilserus Posted - 12 Jul 2013 : 20:46:21
I always viewed the Descent as a typical High Magic effect that got out of control of its casters. Though it does raise some suspicions as Corellon was noted as the source of magic the high mages channeled. So who's fault was it that condemned an entire subrace to spiritual death? Granted, in the last 10,000 years it's almost assured Lolth has stamped 99% of the good out of those that survived the fall.
jerrod Posted - 12 Jul 2013 : 20:07:16
Please keep in mind in LP trilogy it says the followers"priestesses"of lolth would not be redeemed by the sacrifice of the darkmaiden/high magic spell
TBeholder Posted - 11 Oct 2011 : 16:27:08
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

In the Lady Penitent trilogy it's explained that the dark elves were a subrace of green elves
The first reaction: Haha... what? The first reaction: so, that's how it's in 4 ed. now?
But seriously, retconning away Ssri-Tel'Quessir? Flying eyebrows...
quote:

explaining that the drow were condemned [...] I believe the actual physical change into drow is mentioned as being the result of high magic,
It used to be - before that, Dark Elves were like humans with dark skin, not obsidian-black, and had no unusual magic properties.
Also note how this removes both an example of elven drama queen style (which was an established problem) and the two-sided sore spot.

The original image:
Elves were in a precarious position, then noticed one of their allies is a big jerk. Instead of sorting the problems by importance, the rest throws a "Them all!!1" hissyfit. All dark elves were affected - guilty or not, Ilythiiri or an outlander with no idea of what's going on. The result: Vyshaan assassins take it as a clue to prevent the same befalling them, so the "good" elves need one more divine intervention to pull their butts out of fire.

Without "little details":
Mars needs our babes and eats babies! Elves are "a pretty cool guy and doesnt afraid of anything", you'd wonder how they ended up with Retreat at all.

As to the book... I didn't read yet and this completely depends on the narration. Dropping "little details" may be well-justified even without a real retcon. Or not.
quote:

Dark elves [...] That makes them sound closer to moon/sun elves in terms of abilities
According to Cormanthyr, Suyoll (The Revival) High Magic ritual can revert transformation for one drow... "judge as a moon elf".
Zireael Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 09:29:36
quote:

Oh. yeah, if it doesn't distinguish between canon and fanfic or cite its sources, then it wont be any good to me either...
I was under the impression is was a netbook based on canon sources.

=/ crap.

Most was based on canon sources, or was things from AD&D remade to fit 3ed. Life & Physiology section was based on Cormanthyr, AFAIR.
Sources are cited at the end of every volume published.
I don't recall seeing anything there that does qualify as fanfic.
George Krashos Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 05:21:21
The dark elves to drow thing and how it panned out? It's Ghaunadaur's fault. Clearly.

-- George Krashos
Sylrae Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 00:12:52
Oh. yeah, if it doesn't distinguish between canon and fanfic or cite its sources, then it wont be any good to me either...
I was under the impression is was a netbook based on canon sources.

=/ crap.
Zanan Posted - 24 Jun 2010 : 23:52:52
Point with this project is that it doesn't make any clear distinction between canon lore and fan-fic, hence I don't use it. Obviously, some folk who have pop up here and start talking "lore" which is not exactly canon by "our" standards and wonder why people have some sort of reluctance to accept their views. ... There's a reason why I asked LK back in the early days of that project to mark non-canon stuff, which he et al kindly declined. But he will find enough 4E-disciples* who won't/don't have access to (or are willing to read) older books and thus are somewhat cut-off from the knowledge of "our" generation.

*Just an observation, no disrespect whatsoever.
Zireael Posted - 24 Jun 2010 : 10:52:48
http://lord-karsus.deviantart.com/art/Elves-of-Faerun-Volume-VI-143875331?q=1&qo=1 - Volume VI
http://lord-karsus.deviantart.com/art/Elves-of-Faerun-Volume-III-143875068?q=1&qo=1 - Volume III
http://lord-karsus.deviantart.com/art/Elves-of-Faerun-Volume-I-143874818?q=1&qo=1 - Volume I

And the site where the rest was stored was called Realms Vault, not NWNVault. Sorry for not clarifying it earlier.
Markustay Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 23:57:47
Don't be embarrassed - I haven't read all the articles myself.

And it was LK's project - I actually came aboard late into it, and mostly did the Dark Elven material. I also did some of the geographic research (& Evermeet map), and a teeny bit of Photoshopping other art (I did the page backgrounds).

Other then that, it was a community project, But it was LK's 'baby' (and dream to finish).
Brace Cormaeril Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 23:57:23
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

This scroll has links to them.

Those links are all dead.
Hawkins Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 23:53:32
This scroll has links to them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000