Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Weird Reading Habits

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 07 Feb 2011 : 08:25:43
I don't like reading while lying down. I observe my speed is slower when I do so. That's why I sit. I know that's not weird...What's weird is I put my teddy bear (a really big one) on my lap.

A friend of mine keeps jugs nearby and drinks water every after 30 minutes.

My cousin combs her bangs while reading, then twists it using her index finger.

How about you? Do you have any weird reading habits?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Yoss Posted - 11 Nov 2011 : 10:11:44
I've discovered I read ebooks much slower than actual books. Like 40% slower. No strange habits I can think of, though.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 08 Nov 2011 : 15:19:02
I love the way a new book smells
Dennis Posted - 08 Nov 2011 : 15:02:05

Burying half of my body in the beach sand. Feels completely relaxing.
WizardsHerb Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 16:55:04
I suppose in my case it often helps that I have all of the time in the world and none of the money. Getting a new book involves saving up or waiting for it to become available in the library!
Dennis Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 16:48:08

Empty weekend. Hmm. I don't think I'll be able to read any books if I wait for it...because never did I have an empty weekend. Besides, there were times when I'd been looking for certain novels so badly that when I finally bought them, I didn't waste a second and read them immediately. ;)
WizardsHerb Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 16:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Even when you don't like the story at all?

Only if it's REALLY bad or I stop before I start, and having the time to read like that can be a curse in a great many ways. If there's a new book I want to read, I tend to wait for an empty weekend.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 16:25:22
quote:
Originally posted by WizardsHerb

My weird reading habit is that if I start reading a story, I can't put it down. I usually end up going through a whole book in one or two sessions, and only two when I fall asleep. I remember Lord of the Rings took three sleeps.

And that's also why I tend to resist folks who say I have to read a certain book. Which is a weird reading habit in itself.

I love to read but i just don't have the time (or patience) to sit down and read an entire book in a sitting or two. The most i could do is 100 pages or so. I have read books in a day or two many times, but i still prefer to read a chapter at a time then get up and do something else for a little bit.
Dennis Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 16:11:46

Even when you don't like the story at all?
WizardsHerb Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 16:09:34
My weird reading habit is that if I start reading a story, I can't put it down. I usually end up going through a whole book in one or two sessions, and only two when I fall asleep. I remember Lord of the Rings took three sleeps.

And that's also why I tend to resist folks who say I have to read a certain book. Which is a weird reading habit in itself.
Dennis Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 15:49:47

I edited it, Wooly. You may want to delete your post. Or edit it at least and remove that word.
Dennis Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 15:35:02

Upon my father's prolonged absence, I am forced to answer calls that require my approval for some deeds to be carried out. At times, I can't put the book I'm reading down, so I read while talking on the phone... Given how important the calls are, how attention-demanding and how I still manage to give the right judgment while immersing myself in a book, I guess that's weird.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 22 Apr 2011 : 06:26:15
Never read while hanging up-side-down, but I did used to climb trees a lot, and read in them. Might be related.... (And nope, the kid AIN'T his sole living descendant- in fact, Spider-Man's son's "web-line" is in my siggy link! It's the one to Mickey's Tavern site, where I have my comic book and other tales.)
Dennis Posted - 21 Apr 2011 : 00:33:09

Does your love for spiders enable you to hang from a tree and read a book upside down?

My eight-year old cousin did that [to his parents' horror], because he believes he's the sole living descendant of Spiderman. Thankfully, the tree isn't so big.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Apr 2011 : 05:11:47
No, but they DO love their spiders, don't they? I can sort of understand their reverence for these amazing critters. I'm an arachnophile (that's spider-lover to most of you) of the highest rank. I've been known to play with jumpers, let wolf spiders crawl on my hand, or sit and watch an orb-weaver spin her web for hours, or even catch bugs to put in it just to watch the arachnid feed. So my affinity for spiders ties into my love of the drow! (Odd fact- I've even had brown recluses crawl on me on at least six different occasions, and NEVER been bitten. Lolth must really like me, lol!)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Apr 2011 : 05:02:18
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Of course, my favorite book of all time- which I passed on to my daughter not so long ago on her mommies' last visit- is still Charlotte's Web. Might explain some of my fascination with spiders and dark elves, lol!

I don't recall any drow in Charlotte's Web...
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 14 Apr 2011 : 02:28:13
Aye. My love of fantasy started in fourth grade with Piers Anthony's Xanth books, and Robert Aspirin's MYTH books. The fact that I was breezing through adult fantasy novels while most kids were still reading Ramona or Stewart Little caused quite a number of stares and derisive comments in my younger years. Of course, my favorite book of all time- which I passed on to my daughter not so long ago on her mommies' last visit- is still Charlotte's Web. Might explain some of my fascination with spiders and dark elves, lol!
Kuje Posted - 14 Apr 2011 : 02:22:07
Indeed. I still have that problem, it was a running joke at my classes. I'd be reading before class and my friends were like, is that for classes? I was like, nah, I just like reading physics, history, etc, for fun. They were like, weird man, very weird.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed. I used to read a lot on the playground during recess as a kid. Everyone thought i was weird cause I'd rather read than go try to wait for a swing or see-saw to be open.....

I used to experience a similar problem... during reading time at school. While most children would be reading what would normally be categorised as "children's books," I was reading books on philosophy and music, and great classic fictional works.

I received many a strange glance when some children were flickering through books of less than one-hundred pages, and I'm left turning the pages of a five-hundred+ page tome.

The Sage Posted - 14 Apr 2011 : 01:29:51
quote:

Indeed. I used to read a lot on the playground during recess as a kid. Everyone thought i was weird cause I'd rather read than go try to wait for a swing or see-saw to be open.....

I used to experience a similar problem... during reading time at school. While most children would be reading what would normally be categorised as "children's books," I was reading books on philosophy and music, and great classic fictional works.

I received many a strange glance when some children were flickering through books of less than one-hundred pages, and I'm left turning the pages of a five-hundred+ page tome.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 13 Apr 2011 : 23:51:25
Dennis Posted - 13 Apr 2011 : 08:28:12

Ha! When we had one of our field trips in grade school, I remember my teacher telling me she almost died of worry trying for ours to find me in that farm the size of a small city. I was reading under the canopy of a huge tree [mango, if I remember it right].

That's actually not unusual, Alystra. It's very comfortable reading when you're surrounded by the beauty of nature.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Apr 2011 : 23:09:14
I used to take a book with me when I went out hiking on camping trips with the folks. I'd go out by myself while they were off riding ATV's, and find a quiet spot in the woods to read. Sometimes I'd find a private little sanctuary in places we went to often, and make it my own get-away. Guess I must be part elf- I LOVE nature!
Dennis Posted - 09 Apr 2011 : 09:12:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Reading in a tree house. Kinda missed the old days.

I've never done that, but I have climbed a tree to read.

I did that a couple of times, too. However, a tree house is more comfortable, not to mention it makes one less likely to fall [granted that it was made sturdy].
The Sage Posted - 09 Apr 2011 : 01:52:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't know why, but the scene from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, where Kirk is climbing the mountain, is suddenly playing through my mind.

Wooly Rupert:- "I'm doing this because I enjoy it. Not to mention the most important reason for climbing a mountain."

Random Scribe:- "And that is?"

Wooly Rupert:- "Because it's there."

Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Apr 2011 : 18:22:43
quote:

Dennis Posted - 08 Apr 2011 : 11:39:36

Dennis Posted - 03 Apr 2011 : 04:56:16
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius
... and then I read the last paragraph of the book. Not like being a happy or a sad ending matters to me, is just an habit I have

I only do that with novels I'm hardly inclined to finish, or too furious to continue. At least, before they reach the trash bin or charity box [whichever is nearest at the very moment of my torturous reading], I know what happens in the end.
Dennis Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 06:24:26

My inspiration for one of the empires in my novels is Netheril, A Thousand Kingdoms, and Sky Realm. Though most of my characters are hardly the same as those in the said settings.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 05:41:38
I generally try NOT to filch ideas from novels, since I also write myself. From everything else, certainly, but I like to leave other writers' ideas alone.
Dennis Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 03:45:16
quote:

I don't take notes on what I read in novels in a first read-through. For magazines, newspapers, non-fiction, and source-books, certainly, but I read novels purely for enjoyment, not filching ideas!

I read novels for both purposes. However, as I mentioned, recently I only do the note-taking on the second, third [infinite?] reading. The first one is purely for the satisfaction of my craving.
Dennis Posted - 01 Apr 2011 : 08:20:43

I remember there's a news nearly five years ago about an 11-year old girl in Manila City who reads a book upside down as fast as she does in the normal style. Her parents said she started doing it when she was 7, and quite developed the habit since then. Now that is really weird. I tried it once, and, as expected, I had headache.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000