Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragon Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  06:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I only got the chance to glance at the book. It's full of crunch, but it's crunch that seems interesting, with possible application in the Realms. Though maybe everyone is sick of the whole dragon theme for this year. Any thoughts?

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  06:30:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excerpts here

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a

If there going to make varients of the Warlock Class why cant they do a Spellfire hurler class for the FR?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  16:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This product should help add more stuff to a Tiamat themed campaign.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  04:31:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in this. I'll take a look at it, but I'm pretty sure its got a lot of stuff in it that can be mined for a FR campaign, and it is more appealing to me looking at the ToC than I was in the Tome of Battle.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  08:49:03  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can say with certainty that this (IMO) is one of the best D&D books published in years.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  17:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After looking through this one, I have to say it looks really interesting. In fact, I will probably be picking it up this afternoon.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:32:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked it up this morning, though I've not had time to further analyse it. The guy at the hobby shop (not the evil one that makes fun of FR, the cool one) says he was pretty impressed with it, so I'll take a look a bit later.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  23:55:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a chance to look through this one a bit more.

Right off the bat one of the dragonblood alternate races is mentioned specifically as being from Faerun (deep dragon blooded drow). I'm also kind of interested in seeing if I can fit a few of the other dragon blooded race variants into the Realms. One of the dragon blooded race variants is a blue dragon blooded race of hobgoblins, which fits pretty well into the information from Dragons of Faerun.

Some of the draconic substitution levels make sense for the regions introduced in Dragons of Faerun that have come under Tiamat and Bahamut's influence (and for some reason I like the idea of a cleric being able to turn dragons, which is one of the alternate cleric abilities).

Initiate of Tiamat and Bahamut feats are good for the same reason, and I'm sure one I double check which dragon gods are and aren't in Faerun some of the other Initiate feats will work as well, though I'm pretty sure they won't come up near as often. Other feats look kind of interesting, but I haven't looked at them in depth yet.

Haven't looked much at Dragonfire Adept. In general it doesn't catch my attention any more than the Dragon Shaman from Player's Handbook II did. If someone wanted to play one, I'd likely come up with a good background, but I'm not really compelled by the description. From a DM perspective a few of the PrCs look interesting.

I like the idea that they have introduced some new material for psionics, warlocks, and binders in here. Its interesting when they come up with general "theme" books and then take care to slowly add to some of the newer quirkier classes. I guess that goes for the incarnum material as well, though its not something that interests me.

Dragonpacts are interesting . . . basically you give up something to get the ability to do something dragonlike from a pact that you make with a dragon. Its kind of a cool idea really, and it sets up dragon NPCs as still being aloof but able to aid the PCs in some manner.

I can picture some of the paladins associated with Bahamut in Damara having Drakkensteeds, and as much as I didn't really like the Spawn of Tiamat before, I kind of like the Redspawn Berserkers. As a side note, if some of the spawn had been put in here and Races of the Dragon, instead of dumping so many into the MM IV, they may not have been as annoying in their first "outside of Red Hand of Doom" appearance.

Variant dragon abilities are interesting as well.

Overall, definately don't regret this book. I can use a good deal of it, and it gets my creative juices going, so that's good. Not quite as good as the Tome of Magic, mind you, but overall a pretty good Core book for my money.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  06:58:55  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, will probably need to get that then, once I have some positive cash flow.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  15:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it's out here in Ottawa and availalbe at Chapters cause I want it :P

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  15:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Chapters id cool for the discount but Fandom II sould have it too if not

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:

Chapters id cool for the discount but Fandom II sould have it too if not

Yeah I love Fandom II but I don't go there often because 1: Parking is a bitch 2: Busing is a bitch

But I'll get it at Chapters cause of the discount ;)

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll usually get stuff at Chapters. I go to Fandom II for the special stuff I can't get there.

p.s. is there a Fandom I??? (why is the store called Fandom "II"???)

Edited by - Alisttair on 15 Sep 2006 20:12:12
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:13:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MORE.. on dragons..? *Blink*

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll usually get stuff at Chapters. I go to Fandom II for the special stuff I can't get there.

p.s. is there a Fandom I??? (why is the store called Fandom "II"???)

I don't know...maybe because "II" sounds better than "I"

park just east of Fandom II..that parking lot usually has some spaces and the $$ is ok...

If I want books I have to drive up there from freaking Cornwall !

Now, back to the topic!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

MORE.. on dragons..? *Blink*

Didn't you hear? it's the Year of the Dragons !

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  20:32:55  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really don't like these 'year' things. ;)

But I guess the book is pretty handy for those who have extremely diverse/dynamic dragons and draconic-related mechanics and plots!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  03:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone bought Dragon Magic and if so how useful do you think it will be in a Realms campaign?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  13:51:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem . . . Dargoth ::points up to his Sept 14 post in this very thread::

Oh, and some thoughts in here:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7852
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  02:48:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, my initial thoughts were to blow off this buy... but if so many are saying they're impressed with it, maybe I should take a look.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  17:18:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I can say with certainty that this (IMO) is one of the best D&D books published in years.

Why? I don't have it.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  05:51:22  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up this sourcebook. I have only checked it out for a few minutes, but what are some of the other scribes, current thoughts on this product? I will post more, once I delve deeper into it. lets debate this some more, very interesting topic to me.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  15:04:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Sept 14th post pretty much sums up what I thought, but I'm curious to see what you are thinking about it, and anyone else that might have picked up the book.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:59:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been slammed with RW stuff, but from my few minutes here and there, I am very interested in how I can utilize dragon magic in my campaign. I envision waterdeep CoS as an example of utilizing this sourcebook. I especially like deepwyrm drow, dragon lord, swiftwings, and dragon pacts. As I have some more time I will post more on these interests.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  04:13:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here were a couple of things I wrote up after reading through the information on Dragon Magic:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/dragontouched.htm

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/cult_proph.htm
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  04:27:46  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My summary of this book is that it's ok, better than Races of the Dragon, but worse than any of the Complete X books so far.

I had to buy it to supplement my Draconomicon, Dragons of Faerun and Races of the Dragon (Races of the Dragon really sucks, but its saving grace is kobolds... you can make a REALLY nasty kobold PC with that book...)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  04:39:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have written off Races of the Dragon, but I felt that Eric Boyd and Eytan Bernstein did some really interesting things with some of the concepts in the book as far as integrating them into the Realms goes, so it went back on the "list."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  05:07:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

My summary of this book is that it's ok, better than Races of the Dragon, but worse than any of the Complete X books so far.

I had to buy it to supplement my Draconomicon, Dragons of Faerun and Races of the Dragon (Races of the Dragon really sucks, but its saving grace is kobolds... you can make a REALLY nasty kobold PC with that book...)

Hmmm. even with my short time with this sourcebook, I truly am enjoying it. I also agree with KEjr's thoughts pertaining to races of dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  16:38:40  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Hmmm. even with my short time with this sourcebook, I truly am enjoying it. I also agree with KEjr's thoughts pertaining to races of dragons.

'Short time' with that book? what do you mean? you only have visitation rights on weekends or something?
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  21:48:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

'Short time' with that book? what do you mean? you only have visitation rights on weekends or something?

I like that PDK.

No, I just purchased it and I have been busy lately, as we all are. I will delve into it when possible, or when my wife lets me have those visitation rights you mentioned
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000