Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Confusion behind 'Jhuild'..
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  06:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey folks, how's it going early this Saturday morning?

Let me pose a quick question to the lot of you. I was browsing through Lords of Darkness when I saw one of the poisons I had somehow missed. It is called "Jhuild", or Thrallwine, and makes a creature very susceptible to intimidate checks. According to the description it is a brew made from "certain grapes, fruits and herbs grown near the Surmarsh" in Thesk.

This made me remember that my character had acquired some Jhuild from an unfortunate Rashemi barbarian. And according to Unapproachable East, Jhuild, or Firewine, is "...certain grapes, fruits and herbs grown near the city of Urling". Now, the primary and secondary effects are the same as LoD Jhuild, but instead of it's side effects of making one susceptible to intimidate checks, and making them cowards, they must save to keep from falling unconscious, and if they stay awake they take a -2 to all checks for 12 hours.

Has Jhuild ever been covered in second edition? It's bothering me a bit that these two separate drinks have the same name, different origins, similar primary effects and different side effects. I'm hoping to find any reason this may have happened, or if it's not a Realmslore reason.

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  08:57:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The drink from Rashamen is also in the Spellbound box set, if I recall right. The other in LoD, I think, is new because poisons weren't ever really detailed in the older material.

Edit: Did you check Unapproachable East for 3/3.5? There should be a updated version of Firewine from Rashamen in that book.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Mar 2009 09:03:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  09:12:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, off-hand, I think 'Jhuild' was referenced in the "Thieves' Reward" tale in Realms of Magic as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  14:37:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember precisely off-hand, but Jhuild should have been mentioned in the Liriel Series (Starlight & Shadows).

IIRC, her barbarian buddy Fyoder was drinking it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2009 21:04:40
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  06:38:49  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jhuild or Firewine was originally described in the Cyclopedia of the Realms Rashemen entry, from the old grey boxed set. Its a potent and highly intoxicating liquor which may temporarily offer minor benefits in combat until one passes out an hour after imbibing.

Saved us on many an occasion at low level (playing AD&D 1st Edition)

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  12:59:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A realmsian booze that is so strong it is considered poison hehe!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  13:10:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically, all alcohol is poison. Which is why, if you drink enough, you'll die.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  13:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Technically, all alcohol is poison. Which is why, if you drink enough, you'll die.

True...I guess Jhuild is just more potent than others.

Edited by - Alisttair on 09 Mar 2009 13:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  13:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Unless you're a dwarf of course

Edited by - Alisttair on 09 Mar 2009 13:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  14:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so it looks like the version out of Lords of Darkness just happens to be like it in many ways. Since a first edition source links it to Rasheman, the "Thrallwine" seems to be a take off of it. Unless anyone else has heard of this version somewhere, too?

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  16:41:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those were my thoughts as well - Jhuild has a certain religious significance amongst the Rashemi Rus. It is probably brewed in temples to Malar or other 'Savage Gods'. The original formula may have been devised by the Witches, even, in order to help control the Barbarian Rage (Note that the Rus originally came from Rauthym, and such an 'elixir' is unavailable there).

Two assumptions I make here - that Barbarians from Rauthym have traditionally used alcohal to either enhance or control their rages. When that group (the Rus) came through that portal by accident, they brought their traditons with them. The Witches found these new allies useful, but in need of more control. Latching onto the Rus's penchant to use 'strong spirits' (alcohal) to take the edge off their rages, they concocted and incredibly potent beverage using local herbs and what-not (Witches are adroit at potion-brewing).

Second assumption: This 'liquor' has gained quite an infamous reputation outside of Rashemen, and many folks have tried to duplicate it. Although some Theskians managed to get their hands on the formula, it still lacks that extra 'something' (Rashemen's soil is laced with nature-magics, giving the plantlife their certain properties not found elsewhere). So they brew Jhuild - following the recipe to the letter, but it just doesn't have the same exact properties of that brewed in Rashemen (probably in Temples, and probably by Witches).

One last thing - You just gave me an idea for an NPC, and the region is PERFECT for it!

A Drunken Master That drinks Jhuild!

If a group of Shou-expatriates settled in Rashemen (and I'm sure some did), I can see an entire 'cult' forming around this concept - The Holy Lushes!

Edit: Even better - since Alcohal does damage the body, these guys are perfect for a cult of Ilmater - 'suffering' in the name of their god. Quite naturally, their patron would be St. Dionysius.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2009 02:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  00:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for your takes on things, folks! It's nto a vital thing anyway, just something that really bugged me as I looked through my books.

:3 And that is a GREAT idea, Markustay. I wish to steal it!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  10:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Edit: Even better - since Alcohal does damage the body, these guys are perfect for a cult of Ilmater - 'suffering' in the name of their god. Quite naturally, their patron would be St. Dionysius.

It all starts with that, then when you become a grand master within the cult, you can start taking Haunspeir and other more potent things to further 'suffer' for others.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  17:09:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided to write those guys up for the RealmsVault Annual.

The officially call themselves 'The Inebriants', but are also whimsically referred to as Dionysius' Drunkards, the Holy Hammered, Muddled Monks, and a variety of other not-so-pleasant nicknames.

However, they take their drinking VERY seriously, as they do their brewing (which they call the "elixir of the Gods"). Most communities tolerate their monasteries nearby just because of the fantastic brews they produce.

Thats just a sneak-Peak.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2009 17:10:47
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  18:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Second assumption: This 'liquor' has gained quite an infamous reputation outside of Rashemen, and many folks have tried to duplicate it. Although some Theskians managed to get their hands on the formula, it still lacks that extra 'something' (Rashemen's soil is laced with nature-magics, giving the plantlife their certain properties not found elsewhere). So they brew Jhuild - following the recipe to the letter, but it just doesn't have the same exact properties of that brewed in Rashemen (probably in Temples, and probably by Witches).

The jhuild sidebar on page 137 of Unapproachable East states explicitly that, "Like alcoholic drinks, jhuild is technically a poison..." with a DC12 Fort save. The sidebar is also explicit that "a weakened" form of "jhuild" is sold outside of Rashemen for up to 30 times the Rashemaar price. It's not much of a leap of logic to assume that countless barkeeps and barflies, seeing that a patron can afford 15 gold pieces (fifteen!) for one drink, might slip some of Michael Finn's Finest into the "weakened" jhuild, leaving the silly spender robbed and beaten in an alley or Shanghaied ("Shou Lunged"?) into naval service or pressed into military duty.

<startrant>Having had to endure Tristan and Isolde twice too many times in the past couple of years, I feel inclined to scream somewhere (and here is appropriate): THEY WERE DRUGGED, DAMMIT! There was no mystical love-death leitmo-whatchamacallit going on; the maid slipped 'em a dose of Irish roofie! Many a fine lad or lass in Faerun has probably fallen "in love" after drinking foreign "jhuild," too, I'm sure.<endrant>

As for Ilmateri hang-over cultists, I think it would be a good idea to ask Ed who some of the famous topers of history have been, and what stray bits of lore are associated with them. The Chinese poet Li Po, for example, was a famous drunkard, and if not he than another, famous poet drowned after leaning over the side of a boat to grasp the reflection of the Moon -- that has "mystery cult" written all over it!

As for a jhuild-drinking drunken master, I can see that it might be novel, but unless he was a PC and role-played the development of his art for months of real time, I don't see that it would be any cooler than having any "normal" drunken master. Now a drunken master who only drinks Green Shoju....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  22:04:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have every intention of building a PrC around it. Interesting fact about Li Po... I may have to use that (with a Shou Poet, of course).

Who knows? Maybe they even have ties to the Vodka-swilling Bear-warriors of Sossal.

And it would be Luskaned', I think, in the Realms (aren't they knwon for pressing people into their navy?)

If you wanted a more Oriental term clkoser to the RW one, then I'd go with Tu-Lunged (the Shou are much too civilized for that).

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2009 22:11:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000