Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hint that Faerun Campaign Book is by MtG team
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  06:03:48  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Fizban might be a Planeswalker in the AFR, which means he might be in FR and even might end up statted in the hypothetical Faerun World Campaign Guide book.

That would be interesting, not merely in seeing him pop up in Faerun, but in how they'd explain his very existence. If it's before Krynn's periods of "god-lessness" (so to speak), particularly after Takhisis buys the farm and Valthonis comes into being, WotC will have to do some impressive verbal and mythological footwork to explain it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Fizban spooking the folks in Skullport. I'm just wondering what the spin is going to be like.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 05 May 2021 06:04:20
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  12:17:28  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this point, it's just getting dumb. Why is everything unique to other settings being dumped into the Forgotten Realms? What next, Raistlin as a Chosen of Mystra?

Edited by - LordofBones on 05 May 2021 12:18:33
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  13:39:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

At this point, it's just getting dumb. Why is everything unique to other settings being dumped into the Forgotten Realms? What next, Raistlin as a Chosen of Mystra?

Yeah, as if the realms didn't already have a demilich that could have been used instead of Acererak.... and anything someone like Vecna can do is mirrored in Larloch...

I'm not against occasional crossovers, but they really should have a really good reason. I mean, it could make absolute sense if a Krynn mage like Dalamar, who had been talking to Elminster, comes to Toril to steal some item of magic and bring it to Krynn or somesuch. I don't see him wanting to come here to stay though, as he'd suddenly find himself outclassed and outgunned.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  14:10:55  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What next, Raistlin as a Chosen of Mystra?

I've heard of worse ideas. They've had worse ideas.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  14:17:00  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yeah, as if the realms didn't already have a demilich that could have been used instead of Acererak.... and anything someone like Vecna can do is mirrored in Larloch...

To be fair, Vecna's backstory is interesting, from the subtle implication that the magic the Ur-Flan practiced was binding (so the Serpent was actually a vestige) to his rise from slave to nightmare, including the mercy he showed unprecedently (Acererak, like Vecna, also loved his mummy and didn't take her death well).

Meanwhile, Larloch is degraded into Skeletor-level villainous monologuing and is then punted away like a cartoon villain, but at least Skeletor was entertaining and had a cool staff.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  15:54:45  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Meanwhile, Larloch is degraded into Skeletor-level villainous monologuing and is then punted away like a cartoon villain, but at least Skeletor was entertaining and had a cool staff.

I will disagree there based on a 5E Adventurer's League scenario that featured Warlock's Crypt (and which I think is the most recent appearance of Larloch since the Sundering series). It was not particularly cartoonish. One might instead describe it as Larloch murdering an entire party of too-dumb-to-live players if they were foolish enough to confront him.

The scenario is about a group of very high level adventurers breaking into Warlock's Crypt to try and disrupt one of Larloch's laboratories on behalf of another Netherese archwizard lich. The archwizard lich is terrified of getting anywhere near Larloch or he would be under Larloch's control (as Larloch is "able to instantly control any undead creature in his presence at will").

A pertinent outtake from it:

"Once the characters enter the laboratory, they have exactly ten rounds to complete their task and escape completely off the map. If they are still present or on the map at the beginning of the eleventh round, Larloch returns and you can narrate whatever soul-crushing defeat you wish. Roleplaying takes time – be sure to use your judgment on this! MAKE IT CLEAR THAT STAYING FOCUSED IS KEY."

The DM's appendix contains notes from the writer (Alan Patrick) of the adventure, some of which I've also reproduced here:

"Larloch is the boogeyman of the Forgotten Realms. He is the oldest creature in existence, predating even every one of the dragons. As he is a lich, this presents a number of mechanical issues: to resolve the majority of them, Larloch is never actually present in this adventure. If the characters are present when he returns, treat their slaughter as a montage of events. It should be visceral, shredding, and full of the biggest, brightest, most explosive and painful magic possible."

"If Elminster couldn't affect Larloch with magic, it's safe to assume that the characters can't. DRIVE THIS HOME TO THE CHARACTERS."

All through it, it's an infiltration, along the lines of the first Mission Impossible. Get in, break a laboratory for stuff, and then run far and fast, because the adventure repeatedly states that you cannot fight Larloch and expect to do anything other than die horribly (or worse). Even for a group of 17th-20th level characters (a level range for the scenario), Larloch in 5E was still a Do Not Go There.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  16:33:08  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes. The problem is that in his grand novel debut, he might as well be Skeletor. This also happened to Telamont.

Even for the Chosen, Larloch should have been an advancing wall of doom. Being treated like Manshoon with a bigger gun ruined him.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  18:09:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite the lackluster portrayal in one novel, they could have remade him as the power behind things yet again, without necessarily having to bring in Vecna. Same with Acererak. To my view though, Acererak was the worse crime, because he had been turned into a vestige with the Tome of Magic, so having him "escape" from the "place where vestiges reside" was a non-plus. I get why they did it though. They just wanted to use the name for the module, and someone would have screamed if it didn't involve Acererak. In the end though, having Larloch be responsible for that "plot" would have made a LOT of sense, or for that matter Szass Tam or even the mage-turned-demilich, Ythazz Buvaar, who founded Thay (this one could have made a lot of sense if he had somehow rescued the atropal, Xingax, who had been serving Tam, since the adventure involve an atropal... and could have been a decent plot with this demilich trying to build power to turn against Tam). Hell, given the bending of soul energy, Shoon VII would have also worked.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  19:35:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Despite the lackluster portrayal in one novel, they could have remade him as the power behind things yet again, without necessarily having to bring in Vecna. Same with Acererak. To my view though, Acererak was the worse crime, because he had been turned into a vestige with the Tome of Magic, so having him "escape" from the "place where vestiges reside" was a non-plus. I get why they did it though. They just wanted to use the name for the module, and someone would have screamed if it didn't involve Acererak. In the end though, having Larloch be responsible for that "plot" would have made a LOT of sense, or for that matter Szass Tam or even the mage-turned-demilich, Ythazz Buvaar, who founded Thay (this one could have made a lot of sense if he had somehow rescued the atropal, Xingax, who had been serving Tam, since the adventure involve an atropal... and could have been a decent plot with this demilich trying to build power to turn against Tam). Hell, given the bending of soul energy, Shoon VII would have also worked.

I had my own spur of the moment thought on what they could have done with the Tomb of Annihilation, rather than just move it between worlds:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maybe the Ba'etith had a stronghold in Chult. Some of the early work that went into the Nether Scrolls was done in this area. In fact, this work could be why this is one of the few areas in the Realms to have dinosaurs -- perhaps some proof-of-concept experimentation was bringing back/recreating various species of dinosaurs.

And then one or more of the Ba'etith went rogue, because of something they found... Something ancient and evil that predated even the sarrukh. The remainder of the Chultan Ba'etith destroyed the rogues, sealed away whatever the object (or entity) of evil was, and then turned their old stronghold into a deathtrap to keep it all safely contained. Then they headed back north, joined with the rest of the Ba'etith, and made the Nether Scrolls.

Meanwhile, the ancient evil doohickey proved to be only imperfectly sealed off. It raised one of the fallen rogue Ba'etith, one Ash'r'rahkk, and made him a unique form of lich. This ancient evil later corrupted one of Ubtao's nature spirits, turning it into the shadow giant Eshowdow.

The first non-Ba'etith who ever penetrated this hidden stronghold was a powerful human wizard, whose original name has been lost to the sands of time... Encountering the sarrukh lich Ash'r'rahkk and the evil force backing it, this wizard realized too late that his very mind was being overwhelmed by what he had found. He fled, eventually journeying to another sphere entirely, in a vain attempt to hold onto his own personality. In the end, though, his strength was not enough, and he became another extension of that ancient evil doohickey.

Forgetting his own name, he chose a new one from his fragmentary and shattered memories: Acererak. He sealed himself away in his own cunningly-designed deathtrap, intending to contain the evil that had consumed him.

This did weaken the ancient doohickey, though, because now its own essence was sundered. It's still powerful, and still rather evil, but it is no longer the threat it once was... And it's not cool with that.

In the millennia since then, the Ba'etith stronghold has remained forgotten and sealed away... Until the chaos of the Spellplague and the Sundering brought one of the entrances back into the sunlight....

As for that ancient evil doohickey... I have previously suggested that there was some horrible evil that all the gods had to get together to defeat, and even their combined might could only shatter this evil. I suggested that it could have been one of the shards of this evil that made Cyric get so crazy, and another could be imprisoned under and contained by the Wall of the Faithless. Maybe that's what the Chultan Ba'etith found.

Or maybe a simpler explanation could be something like a spawn of Dendar... Or perhaps at some point, Dendar herself was in the Realms. Someone, perhaps Ubtao battled and wounded her, driving her from the Prime and into the Fugue Plane. And when she was wounded, some of her blood splashed on and corrupted some native creature, granting it power beyond that of mortals, but still shy of the true Elder Evils of the Realms.

This spins the whole thing into something new, built on existing Realmslore, but still keeping the ridiculous connection to the Tomb of Horrors. With the similar names and nature of the dungeons, it'd not be unlikely for someone who knew of the Tomb of Horrors to hear about this place and assume they were one in the same.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 May 2021 19:39:49
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  23:45:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I criticise my kids for watching YouTube videos of people playing games that they can play themselves. I tried to watch Critical Roll once. Lasted 2 minutes. I then went to watch some paint dry. Did I mention I found it ever so boring ...?

-- George Krashos

I feel like that can be said about a lot of things; why do people watch sports? I think watching people play can be inspiration and/or fun for a lot of people, and not everyone has opportunities to play D&D. Of course, nothing beats the immersive experience of being able to play yourself, but I think, especially in the age of the Internet, people are drawn to watching others stream gaming content, whether that's TTRPG, video games, or something else.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  23:54:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I criticise my kids for watching YouTube videos of people playing games that they can play themselves. I tried to watch Critical Roll once. Lasted 2 minutes. I then went to watch some paint dry. Did I mention I found it ever so boring ...?

-- George Krashos

I feel like that can be said about a lot of things; why do people watch sports? I think watching people play can be inspiration and/or fun for a lot of people, and not everyone has opportunities to play D&D. Of course, nothing beats the immersive experience of being able to play yourself, but I think, especially in the age of the Internet, people are drawn to watching others stream gaming content, whether that's TTRPG, video games, or something else.

I won't say for all, but regarding sports, for many its because they enjoyed it and CAN'T do it any longer. Older men can't play football any longer, but they enjoyed playing as kids. Generally those who didn't play as kids don't watch football as adults. For many women, games like football also remind them of their high school years when they were into cheerleading. I know this doesn't cover all of those who watch, but I'd guess it covers 85% or more of those who do it.

I guess that's why I'm confused by the kids who want to stream watching someone else play a video game. I could get doing it a little bit, as in its a game you couldn't afford or some such, or a game you're thinking about buying. I just don't get the fascination with just watching it as entertainment for hours.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 May 2021 23:57:36
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  01:07:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or at least with kids, they may do both: watch sports and play them. Maybe they play basketball but watch football, for example. My step nephews are very in to sports, but they don't play all of them. Maybe the same is true for those who like to watch others play video games.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  03:12:54  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of this is a combination of WotC turning Faerun into a melting pot of everything from other settings and banking heavily on nostalgia. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rajaat reduced to ruling some pile of huts in the Anauroch. Instead of inventing new lore, they're trying to twist and turn old lore, which makes it nonsensical; Acererak is dead and gone, let the poor bugger rest; Minsc's story was finished over 20 years ago; the yugoloths were done dirty AGAIN; and someone at WotC really has it in for hyenas.

Hell, why not tap on things like the creator of the horrid wilting spell, who has never been described? Greyhawk fanon has Abi-Dalzim as the Father of Droughts, a balkunish wizard in the service of Incabulos; why not take this never-canonically-described necromancer and make him a Forgotten Realms native? You then have new lore that's tied to old lore without detracting from it.

Edited by - LordofBones on 06 May 2021 03:14:07
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2021 :  03:36:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, ironically, they are ignoring a lot of old established lore that is actually part of the setting. They may be trying to revamp some things, but they are also disregarding a lot, or changing things with every release.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  01:24:55  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a minor(?) update on this Magic: The Gathering crossover business, if it wasn’t already mentioned, the first few cards were revealed.

Among other things, Lolth is a Planeswalker.

[url=“https://mtgrocks.com/first-planeswalker-from-dungeons-dragons-adventures-in-the-forgotten-realms-more-cards-revealed/”]Link to the News Article[/url]

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  02:02:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

As a minor(?) update on this Magic: The Gathering crossover business, if it wasn’t already mentioned, the first few cards were revealed.

[url=“https://mtgrocks.com/first-planeswalker-from-dungeons-dragons-adventures-in-the-forgotten-realms-more-cards-revealed/”]Link to the News Article[/url]

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/welcome-summer-legend-2021-05-06

Between the two reveals Tiamat as Dragon God Legendary Creature the tutors five dragons into your hand, Portable Hole, Vorpal Blade with an Alternate loss condition,an a Halfling Citizen (inkeeper) that creatures a treasure token and adds 1 life whenever a creature enters the battle field, Drizzt whose 3/3 with double strike, creates a 4/1 with trample Legendary Cat token, and gains 1/1 counters whenever another creature with greater power then Drizzt equal to the difference in their power, Bruenor Battlehammer who allows the first equipping per turn for 0 mana and +2/0 per equipment on equipted creatures.

I think this is going to be Legendary Creature/Planeswalker heavy set if Drizzt is only a rare and Bruenor is Uncommon! Bruenor could be part of a cycle of dual colour Uncommon Legendary creatures,like Kaldheim got. The other Companions of the Hall and other Legend of Drizzt characters could be apart of this cycle along with characters like Mirt and Volo.

I mean even the Beholder is a Common!

Also the original paintings of the Drizzt and Tiamat card art are going for 10s of thousands of dollars at auction with Drizzt already at or above $30,000 on the first day.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  05:10:44  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a surprising twist, everything Lolth does is less because she's completely evil and more because she's completely terrified of Nicol Bolas showing up to chat.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  11:02:17  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In a surprising twist, everything Lolth does is less because she's completely evil and more because she's completely terrified of Nicol Bolas showing up to chat.

Lolth would dine on Nicol Bolas' soul.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  13:55:39  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also the original paintings of the Drizzt and Tiamat card art are going for 10s of thousands of dollars at auction with Drizzt already at or above $30,000 on the first day.

I certainly don't have that kind of money. One thing I will probably do, however, if or when I find myself in the DM seat again, is get copies of the art that they're using for the cards. Maybe off Deviantart or wherever I can snag them from. They could be very useful as printouts or just images to bring up on a tablet to show to players.

quote:

After re-reading Nicky's duel with Leshrac in Future Sight recently, among other things, my money would actually be on the Elder Dragon planeswalker if I were a betting man. Certainly so in his prime, when he shattered planes by simply entering them the wrong way. Admittedly 'walkers were drastically weakened in modern Magic, but even then Bolas was still functionally a god even if he himself might have disagreed.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2021 :  20:26:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I certainly don't have that kind of money. One thing I will probably do, however, if or when I find myself in the DM seat again, is get copies of the art that they're using for the cards. Maybe off Deviantart or wherever I can snag them from. They could be very useful as printouts or just images to bring up on a tablet to show to players.

quote:

After re-reading Nicky's duel with Leshrac in Future Sight recently, among other things, my money would actually be on the Elder Dragon planeswalker if I were a betting man. Certainly so in his prime, when he shattered planes by simply entering them the wrong way. Admittedly 'walkers were drastically weakened in modern Magic, but even then Bolas was still functionally a god even if he himself might have disagreed.

You could look into MtG accessories for the set, some of them are decorations right up your ally.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  19:17:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That makes sense, as Lloth has been known to exist in multiple cosmos such as Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  19:37:19  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She’s even poked her head into Eberron once or twice thanks to bad writing.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2021 :  19:46:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Really? In the novels or in the game material?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  20:50:55  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With this explosion in Drow population and cultural diversity, does my belief that we are getting a Faerun Campaign Book seem so crazy now?
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  22:26:41  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

DDO had a crossover event I know nothing about where she was the main baddie, and the truly terrible elf section in MToF said that all drow across the Multiverse are tied to Lolth… even though the whole thing in Eberron is that the gods might not exist.

Thankfully, one of the selling points of Eberron is a lack of canon, and with Keith publishing tons of material, I’m not lacking for stuff that feels more fitting.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  23:38:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

DDO had a crossover event I know nothing about where she was the main baddie, and the truly terrible elf section in MToF said that all drow across the Multiverse are tied to Lolth… even though the whole thing in Eberron is that the gods might not exist.

Thankfully, one of the selling points of Eberron is a lack of canon, and with Keith publishing tons of material, I’m not lacking for stuff that feels more fitting.

I know some consider it a selling point, but the lack of canon and the static nature of the setting is why I avoided Eberron. I love some of the ideas from the setting, and shamelessly lifted warforged from there, but personally, I need things to happen if a setting is going to hold my attention.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 May 2021 23:40:04
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  00:18:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the Udadrow, Aevendrow, and Lorendrow incoming, does my belief that a new Campaign setting book still seem crazy?
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  00:20:58  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know some consider it a selling point, but the lack of canon and the static nature of the setting is why I avoided Eberron. I love some of the ideas from the setting, and shamelessly lifted warforged from there, but personally, I need things to happen if a setting is going to hold my attention.

The setting is too grey for my preferred sandbox. Like you, I too pick and choose what seems interesting.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  00:38:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With the Udadrow, Aevendrow, and Lorendrow incoming, does my belief that a new Campaign setting book still seem crazy?

Well if the company believes it can sell enough units, they clearly might offer one. It would be interesting to see one that explained changes. I however do not expect anything close to a new setting guide of any merit. They might print some thing though and call it a Campaign setting.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  00:57:39  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

DDO had a crossover event I know nothing about where she was the main baddie
From what I recall, Lolth didn't enter the Eberron setting. The DDO developers just put a portal to Faerun into the game so they could start releasing Forgotten Realms content. The game's first expansion (Menace of the Underdark) was set in Eveningstar (Cormyr) and revolved around Lolth. But except for the fact that characters could travel between them, the two settings didn't actually interact in any way; the Eberron stuff stayed in Eberron and the Forgotten Realms stuff stayed in Forgotten Realms.

I do remember at the time that some people were upset that Eberron and Faerun could be connected so easily through a portal. But I don't remember who was doing the complaining -- Eberron fans, Forgotten Realms fans, or both.

EDIT: Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Reading the DDOWiki entry on Menace of the Underdark, I see this sentence: "The hopes of the Realms lie with champions from Eberron, whose world has become entangled in Lolth's schemes..." So yeah, it does sound like Lolth "poked her head" into Eberron.

Edited by - HighOne on 24 May 2021 01:08:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000