Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 The Beauty of the Tome of Battle: Bo9S
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  02:26:22  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

As a side adventure, have the party retrieve the golden hammer and return it to Strongheart the paladin. Maybe he can give the party the intel on Warduke.

Ohhh man....that's an idea! I thought Strong heart wielded a magical intelligent longsword though? Or was retrieving his hammer a part of the Episode of D&D he was in?

Otherwise, I absolutely might include that.

EDIT: on a side note - how would you stat Strongheart? Human Paladin 18? Maybe with a strong devotion to the Fists of Valor knighthood!

The hammer was indeed from the cartoon. The action figure had the longsword. If Warduke is an 18th level fighter, making Strongheart an 18th level paladin is reasonable. Fist of Valor knighthood works.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9502 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  12:20:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I admit I struggle with the same. However, canonically they DO go in and fight the dragon and kill it every century. Since Myrkul was NE, I picture these crusaders as LE. Thus, maybe they have a code of honor and maybe there is some reason why they need it bound. As to Eltab, one thing to recall is that they just happened across him the first time. They then "lured" him into servitude and ended up his servants instead. They then were led on an ill-advised raid of Mulhorand. I'm not actually picturing a lot of love lost in that relationship at the end. They may have followed him out of fear.

Yeah, and it was Thay that attempted to bind Eltab to Thakorsil's Seat and that would've been bad for everyone. So now with that botched affair in 1373 DR, Eltab is once again locked under the Citadel of Conjurers (in Impiltur?) and maybe they need the Jade Phoenix NPC to re-bind the Everlasting Wyrm/Souldrake/Xavarathimius to keep watch over Eltab once again.

So the premise of the adventure is sort of two-fold. One, you have the Durthan annis hag sorceress Chaul organizing Telthors (spirit-creatures), the other Durthan, and armies amassed by Warduke on a grand crusade though Rasheman.

Then there's the second part of re-sealing the Souldrake via the sword Hadryllis in Impiltur's Citadel of Conjurers to make sure Eltab is firmly secured in his prison. The Crusaders of Myrkul are willing to help in this task to ensure Eltab doesn't escape and because it's a ritual as old as their organization - Maybe Xavarathimius somehow spurned or brought upon the wrath of Myrkul in some vendetta or power grab and his knights set out to put him down as a memory to never cross Myrkul?

So now I need to figure out how to connect the two? I can have the NPC Jade Phoenix (I was thinking of making him Male half-Mulan/half-Rashemi human Crusader 1 (Kossuth)/ Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 6/ Jade Phoenix Mage 10) decide to take the journey and seal away the Souldrake once again but his lands in trouble and needs to break the Durthan's lines before he can leave?

Hmmm, so on the idea that the dracolich spurned Myrkul somehow... maybe he stole the ritual that created himself as a dracolich from the church of Myrkul (to note, this is before the Cult of the Dragon came about that this being became a dracolich)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3993 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  15:12:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As a side adventure, have the party retrieve the golden hammer and return it to Strongheart the paladin. Maybe he can give the party the intel on Warduke.

Ohhh man....that's an idea! I thought Strong heart wielded a magical intelligent longsword though? Or was retrieving his hammer a part of the Episode of D&D he was in?

Otherwise, I absolutely might include that.

EDIT: on a side note - how would you stat Strongheart? Human Paladin 18? Maybe with a strong devotion to the Fists of Valor knighthood!

The hammer was indeed from the cartoon. The action figure had the longsword. If Warduke is an 18th level fighter, making Strongheart an 18th level paladin is reasonable. Fist of Valor knighthood works.

So I started him up, human paladin 18. I used his same stats he had in 1e and kept to as much as the lore as I could. Look for his stats in the Forgotten Realms NPC Generator thread.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3993 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  15:14:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, so on the idea that the dracolich spurned Myrkul somehow... maybe he stole the ritual that created himself as a dracolich from the church of Myrkul (to note, this is before the Cult of the Dragon came about that this being became a dracolich)?

That's the idea I was toying with honestly. It ties in why the Crusaders would want to help lock away the Souldrake and why they might look for the Jade Phoenix NPC, who's currently fighting the incursion of Warduke and the Durthans in Rasheman.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3993 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  17:26:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting back to the main topic at hand - the Tome of Battle - I was wondering if there was a desire by the community at large to have additional Disciplines made that work with the Tome? I ask because I'm currently working on a Discipline that focuses on using Air and Sonic attacks in a similar vein as Airbending.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  19:55:33  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Getting back to the main topic at hand - the Tome of Battle - I was wondering if there was a desire by the community at large to have additional Disciplines made that work with the Tome? I ask because I'm currently working on a Discipline that focuses on using Air and Sonic attacks in a similar vein as Airbending.

I am not sure airbending or any kind of bending should be a discipline as much as its own core class, or at least a prestige class for swordsages.
Blood bending should be a dark art like the flavor of the Shadow hand discipline.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3993 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  22:39:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not sure airbending or any kind of bending should be a discipline as much as its own core class, or at least a prestige class for swordsages.
Blood bending should be a dark art like the flavor of the Shadow hand discipline.

Well what I mean, not bending specifically like we see in Avatar: the Last Airbender but maneuvers, stances, and the like to what we see with the Desert Wind discipline. One could take the powers from that and almost mimic the effects of a Firebender already. Of course you're still limited by class (only Swordsages get access to the Celestial Typhoon) and you're probably not being glued only to that style but it just has similar flavor.

I got the concept after re-watching Avatar Korra and the main antagonist of Season 3 (Zaheer, a new air bender) and this guy and powers are just cool as all hell.

Edited by - Diffan on 25 Apr 2020 00:32:38
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  14:01:43  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

Well what I mean, not bending specifically like we see in Avatar: the Last Airbender but maneuvers, stances, and the like to what we see with the Desert Wind discipline. One could take the powers from that and almost mimic the effects of a Firebender already. Of course you're still limited by class (only Swordsages get access to the Celestial Typhoon) and you're probably not being glued only to that style but it just has similar flavor.

I got the concept after re-watching Avatar Korra and the main antagonist of Season 3 (Zaheer, a new air bender) and this guy and powers are just cool as all hell.

This is better. I have a hard time picturing crusaders airbending.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3993 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  21:56:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As do I, lol. I couldn't see someone in full-plate being "like a leaf" and flowing air around him nimbly-bimbly.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2020 :  01:09:24  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As do I, lol. I couldn't see someone in full-plate being "like a leaf" and flowing air around him nimbly-bimbly.

Hmm, that gives me a sick idea of a helmed horror with swordsage maneuvers and a monk's unarmed combat abilities. Trained skill in Acrobatics.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9502 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2020 :  16:06:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmm, that gives me a sick idea of a helmed horror with swordsage maneuvers and a monk's unarmed combat abilities. Trained skill in Acrobatics.

Not sure about the monk part (just personal preference), but the idea of a helmed horror that's leveled in Book of Nine Swords type styles is interesting.

Furthermore, YOUR idea just spawned an idea for me for Maztica/Katashaka/Anchorome areas. One of the things I'd been playing with at one point was constructs made using the magic of the area. So, for instance, Hishnahide armor constructs similar to a Helmed horror wherein the animated armor is like a thicker hide armor with say a jaguar, wolf, bear, lion, or something like a shark or komodo dragon skull as the head. More intelligent versions could be made that could "command" legions of these Hishnahide with human or other intelligent being skulls. From another perspective, Plumafeather constructs could also be made from feather and bone over hide armor from giant parrots, giant eagles, giant owls, giant ravens, giant vultures, griffons, hippogriffs, pegasi, etc...

These various constructs that I'm talking about could be focused in various fighting styles that I definitely see mirroring monks, swordsages, etc... and the plumafeather ones would fit the "wind" stuff that Diffan was developing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3993 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  20:11:24  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not sure about the monk part (just personal preference), but the idea of a helmed horror that's leveled in Book of Nine Swords type styles is interesting.

Furthermore, YOUR idea just spawned an idea for me for Maztica/Katashaka/Anchorome areas. One of the things I'd been playing with at one point was constructs made using the magic of the area. So, for instance, Hishnahide armor constructs similar to a Helmed horror wherein the animated armor is like a thicker hide armor with say a jaguar, wolf, bear, lion, or something like a shark or komodo dragon skull as the head. More intelligent versions could be made that could "command" legions of these Hishnahide with human or other intelligent being skulls. From another perspective, Plumafeather constructs could also be made from feather and bone over hide armor from giant parrots, giant eagles, giant owls, giant ravens, giant vultures, griffons, hippogriffs, pegasi, etc...

These various constructs that I'm talking about could be focused in various fighting styles that I definitely see mirroring monks, swordsages, etc... and the plumafeather ones would fit the "wind" stuff that Diffan was developing.

That's a pretty good idea! Helmed Horrors always is seen as metallic hunks of animated armor. But having a bone-skulled, jaguar hide warrior using Tiger Claw maneuvers or an animated wispy cloth-armored - huge bat skulled - creature using Celestial Typhoon maneuvers would be horrifying and awesome!

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  23:46:45  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's a pretty good idea! Helmed Horrors always is seen as metallic hunks of animated armor. But having a bone-skulled, jaguar hide warrior using Tiger Claw maneuvers or an animated wispy cloth-armored - huge bat skulled - creature using Celestial Typhoon maneuvers would be horrifying and awesome!

And throw in a dash of hishna magic as practiced in Maztica.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9502 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  18:11:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan,

I know its been a while since we had this conversation, but I really enjoyed the general story we were making up, and I felt like just making a picture of a bastard sword for this Jade Phoenix battlemage. To note, its not meant to be Hadryllis, but rather another bastard sword, just because I was thinking it might be interesting if the Jade Phoenix mage has one sword tied to the Jade Phoenix and then has to use Hadryllis as a weapon tied to binding "the Everlasting Wyrm" and Eltab. The idea came to me kind o like the two swords of power having to be combined by He-Man and Skeletor as a way to just make things a little more complex.

Bastard Sword of the Jade Phoenix Battlemage https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4541158 by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 13 Jul 2020 18:12:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000