Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Village adventure products/tips
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danielsimaonascimento
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2022 :  00:32:52  Show Profile  Visit danielsimaonascimento's Homepage Send danielsimaonascimento a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, let me start giving you guys some context. I began playing D&D when I was 14. I'm 40. I stopped when I was about 25-26, picked it up again in the pandemic. I just made a character to play in a Forgotten Realms adventure which, believe it or not, will be my first time in the setting. Have been going through Jorphdan's youtube channel to get my bearings and I believe I've come up with a decent story for my character, but that's a different topic.
The thing is, in order to make the character I had to go through a few of the books, and that got my creative juices flowing. So i thought I should take advantage of it and start scribbling an adventure of my own. Rusty as I am, I thought about starting with the good old village/small town adventure. But this time I wanted to make sure I read some of the old stuff for inspiration.
The two I came up with right away were "Under Illefarn" and "Hommlet". Do you guys have any tips about some other material I should consult?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2022 :  00:53:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you do a search here at Candlekeep you will find "Under Illefarn Anew" which is an update and expansion of the original. In my view that's the gold standard for an intro FR adventure now.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2022 :  03:02:31  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is a great village/haunted house adventure from the 1E era. And there's something to be said for the more recent Lost Mine of Phandelver from 2014's Starter Set, which focuses on the village of Phandalin in the Sword Coast area.

I also really like the Daggerford book from The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, which pairs well with Scourge of the Sword Coast, an adventure from the D&D Next playtest that sends adventurers to various sites in the Daggerford vicinity.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2022 :  16:29:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some free adventures that you can check out. Note that while they're 3.5 D&D you can use the themes, and concepts to adapt to any edition you like. I've found them to be pretty easy to modulate to your games:

Original Adventures

I'll second the Sinister Secret of Saltmash, definitely has that old-school vibe and a lot of interesting history with D&D. Also gives you some different locations, including an old house to explore, sea-faring stories, pirates, ghosts, lizard-men, etc. Good group of adventures.

If you're playing 5th Edition, then Lost Mines of Phandelver can be pretty fun for a 1st-level adventure.
Go to Top of Page

danielsimaonascimento
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2022 :  17:00:12  Show Profile  Visit danielsimaonascimento's Homepage Send danielsimaonascimento a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just passing by to thank everybody for the tips. I'm checking them out bit by bit, and I'm sure they will be a lot of help. Let me just say I'm indeed very impressed with "Under Illefarn Anew". A lot of work went into that one!
I'm going for that old-school vibe. Which is funny actually, because I was born in the 80's and, even though I actually did play the red box starter kit for quite a while, when I moved to AD&D it was already the 2e. So it's not like these are my first D&D memories or anything. In fact, back then me and my friends started playing with just the PHB, the DMG and the MM, and we made up our own worlds long before we started buying the classic boxed sets. Then for me it was either Dragonlance or Dark Sun, until I bought Ravenloft and started my own campaign without ever having played the original adventure either. No Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. E-VER.
To add insult to injury, I never played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, although I spent too much time on Diablo and WOW. So... couldn't be more ignorant. Really.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000