Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 SKR's Goody White's Book of Folk Magic - FREE!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2020 :  10:15:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Several years ago, Sean K Reynolds -- an FR design alumni -- did a Kickstarter for a book called Goody White's Book of Folk Magic.

quote:
Goody White's Book of Folk Magic is a Pathfinder-compatible sourcebook written in-character by a knowledgeable witch named Goody White, explaining ways to cure illness, ward off undead, brew a love potion, or afflict your enemies. Translated to Pathfinder RPG game terms by Sean K Reynolds, it presents each of these 45 "folk remedies" as a spell, witch hex, and ritual. Much like actual folk magic, the rituals can be learned by anyone who bothers to study them--even characters who have no spellcasting ability.

In December 2015, an additional 16 pages were added to this book, which includes mythic versions of the Pathfinder spells and hexes (a la Paizo's Mythic Adventures), conversions of the spells to Cypher system powers (for Monte Cook Games' Numenera, The Strange, and other settings), and low- and medium-level Pathfinder and Cypher stat blocks for several notable witches.

It is, as you see from the description, folk magic -- minor magics to cure constipation, cure warts, stuff like that. Not stuff that PCs with access to full curative magics need, but the kind of stuff you'd find some village practitioner using.

I, personally, thought it was a pretty nifty thing, covering one of those "on the ground" aspects of life in a fantasy RPG that oft gets ignored by the rule books for not being sexy enough to warrant page count in a core book.

I bring this up because of a Facebook post from SKR:

quote:
Hey, folks! In 2016 I published a PDF for #Pathfinder and #CypherSystem called "Goody White's Book of Folk Magic," presenting real-world folk remedies as spells, hexes, rituals, & char abilities.
I just made it FREE! Have fun, and be safe!
(NOTE: The book points out that these are NOT actual medical remedies, and you shouldn't try them.)
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/141806/Goody-Whites-Book-of-Folk-Magic

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Mar 2020 10:15:58

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  04:46:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just discovered this post, whilst looking for something else. And I'm bumping it back up, because the book is still free, and because I still think it's a very good product.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Mar 2021 04:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2021 :  06:07:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a nifty little book. It would be a great resource for low-level "hedge wizard" sorts of PCs.

Players seem to disdain such trivial half-magic stuff because it doesn't translate directly into significant combat advantage or healing/damage points.

I guess more players would be interested in "Black Borox's Book of Folk Curses" - all the lesser magical hexes, curses, mixtures, and incantantations one would use to inflict constipation, create warts, attract pests, sour milk, and cause all sorts of little romantic misfortunes which the Goody White Book aims to cure, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2022 :  02:05:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stumbled across this one again... Still free, still a good product from a former Realms designer.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000