Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  02:25:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Given I'm fairly addicted to the electronic version of this game, I was wondering if there were any scribes out there who play this online? My moniker (somewhat unsurprisingly) is Imphras the Great. Anyone want to start up some games?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  03:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to. I regularly play the board game with friends. Unfortunately, it isn't available for desktop, only for portables, and I don't have one. And much though I love the game, I'm not going to run out and buy one just to play it. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  04:40:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I would love to. I regularly play the board game with friends. Unfortunately, it isn't available for desktop, only for portables, and I don't have one. And much though I love the game, I'm not going to run out and buy one just to play it. :)

...And it's not even for all portable devices. The majority of portable devices in the world run Android, but they've not bothered to port it to that OS yet, preferring to leave it as an iOS app.

I liked my iPhones when I was using them, but since I've switched to Android, I won't go back.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  11:06:01  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm an android user so no go. I do know a guy who has the board game but the only time I get to see him is when I'm DMing for six other people.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  13:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

...And it's not even for all portable devices. The majority of portable devices in the world run Android, but they've not bothered to port it to that OS yet, preferring to leave it as an iOS app.

I liked my iPhones when I was using them, but since I've switched to Android, I won't go back.

I bought an Android tablet just so I could play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition when it came out for Android. That version was released nearly a year after the PC and iPad versions, but being able to take the game with me to work was worth it.
That said, almost every time the D&D Facebook or Google+ page announces anything regarding the Lords of Waterdeep iPad version, they get a lot of comments demanding or begging for an Android version. I imagine after the dust settles from the release of D&D Next we will see an Android version announced. They'd be crazy not to.
From what I understand, and I could be wrong, Android apps often take longer to develop for whatever reason.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  14:18:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just dittoing the android version. I'd pay money for it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  14:19:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and even a pc version.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  14:34:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, Android apps often take longer to develop for whatever reason.

It's likely because every device maker does their own version of it... So it takes longer to code because you've got to allow for more variations within the OS.

That said, they could at least release it for KitKat.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  00:51:40  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I'm pretty much in the same boat as everybody else (sort of).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  03:53:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust me to draw the Android crowd!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  04:51:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Trust me to draw the Android crowd!

-- George Krashos

As I said, I've had iDevices -- I've had two iPhones, and I still have an iPod. I'd likely still be an iDevice person if it wasn't for two things: Apple irked me when I realized I'd have to buy all new proprietary cables, and I hate iTunes more than Shar hates sunny days and puppies. When I got my Nexus 7 and began comparing Android and the iOS -- particularly, the ease of adding music, pics, and ringtones to a device -- that was the end of me having an iOS-based phone.

I liked my iPhones, but iTunes is a user-hostile pile of bantha droppings, and my issues with that software pushed me out of the Apple camp.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  02:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Given I'm fairly addicted to the electronic version of this game, I was wondering if there were any scribes out there who play this online? My moniker (somewhat unsurprisingly) is Imphras the Great. Anyone want to start up some games?

-- George Krashos

Just bought it as a Father's Day gift for myself and am addicted as well. Despite the time differentials, we should figure out a time and such to play online. I've played a handful of games offline to get used to the interface on my phone; hate the bouncing around all the time, but expected it. Must try out on the iPad for ease of use and then I'll set up an online moniker.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  04:05:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really need to look into this for myself, as well, since the board game version is hard to come by here. Sadly, I've still to find and purchase a copy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  04:52:12  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The app version was recently on one day sale for a significant discount in the last week or so. Keep an eye out as those deals come around every now and then.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  22:14:23  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the game installed on my iPad for a while now but did not feel that I had enough time to try it out. But I decided to give it a try today when I read Steven's post, and I really like it!
Now if I only could find enough people to play the board-game version (sitting on my shelf, still shrink-wrapped, for months now, as is the expansion...).
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2014 :  22:19:10  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here, can't gather enough interested players in one place to give the board game a try. The app version also sits neglected on the iPad. I'll see about giving it a try in the upcoming weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2014 :  01:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, George, you did it. Got me to go online with this. My online name is Gamalon. :) As soon as Sarah has an ID, I'll send it along. Then we'll have to have a game or two before Gen Con. :)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2017 :  23:07:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it only took them like 2 or 3 years to port this over to Android, but it finally happened, and just went live today!

And I only knew about it because someone in an FR group on the Facebook shared the one announcement about it, yesterday, saying the app was coming today.

Clicky!

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  00:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So it only took them like 2 or 3 years to port this over to Android, but it finally happened, and just went live today!

And I only knew about it because someone in an FR group on the Facebook shared the one announcement about it, yesterday, saying the app was coming today.

Clicky!

Wooly, you just made an otherwise bleh day better by an infinite factor. Thanks for the share!

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  01:53:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooo, thanks for the update Wooly. I was indeed hoping this would happen one day too.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  04:28:54  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like this game costs $4.99 to download. Is it worth it? What's it like?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  04:43:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

That price is only for a limited time.

As for what it's like, it's like the board game. If you're not familiar with the board game, it's a resource management type of game, set in Waterdeep (and under it, if you're doing the supplements), where you are one of the Hidden Lords and you're sending agents to recruit adventures to accomplish quests. You have to get 4 Warriors, a Priest, and a Rogue for one quest, for example, and you get them by sending your agents to different places in Waterdeep.

If you like Settlers of Cataan, you should like Lords of Waterdeep.

My only complaint about the game is that the art for the Lords themselves is questionable, at best, and they get Kyriani's appearance entirely wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  04:46:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Wooly, you just made an otherwise bleh day better by an infinite factor. Thanks for the share!

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

oooo, thanks for the update Wooly. I was indeed hoping this would happen one day too.

I've been waiting for the Android port since the iOS one was announced! I just happened to see that Facebook post yesterday, and I was immediately stoked. I was checking the Play Store all day until I got home from work and finally saw the listing for the game. I immediately bought it and sent it to all of my devices.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  04:58:40  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

That price is only for a limited time.

As in the price will go up soon? It sounds enticing, might check it out...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  12:04:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so I've never been hooked on my phone, so I've only had like 1 game on it that I would use to pass the time. This is the first thing that actually got me to BUY something in the google play store.

Also, apparently there's also the add ons for skullport and undermountain, which were the add ons to the original game. Those are $2.99 each.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Sep 2017 12:17:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  15:31:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

so I've never been hooked on my phone, so I've only had like 1 game on it that I would use to pass the time. This is the first thing that actually got me to BUY something in the google play store.

Also, apparently there's also the add ons for skullport and undermountain, which were the add ons to the original game. Those are $2.99 each.

I've got two tablets (one was free), and a lot of games on both of them -- not that I play most of the games all that much; only three see regular usage, and even those three rarely get more than 20 minutes between them.

I bought the supplements before I did anything else for the game, like my usual turning off all the sounds (playing games with the sound off is a habit dating back to the days of playing Nintendo while listening to the radio).

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  16:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally downloaded and played through the tutorial. Gonna play through a few offline games after I get off work today. If anyone wants to try an on-line game, my name is same as here.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  16:54:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, want to get a little better before I go online. I've played like a dozen or so games against the AI, and only won 3 of them -- and one of those was just by 1 point.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2017 :  23:19:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've just changed the interface and on iPhone it is so horrible that it has put me off playing the game completely.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  02:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I, personally, want to get a little better before I go online. I've played like a dozen or so games against the AI, and only won 3 of them -- and one of those was just by 1 point.

I'm honestly having the same luck. Still wouldn't mind playing online if anyone wanted to, but the AI is tough.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2017 :  12:56:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Played two games so far. Both, I placed second, but second while tying someone else. I did this with playing against 4 opponents, two of which were at the lower level, and one the advanced. I can't honestly say I recall which person beat me though. But in the end, I haven't won yet.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000