Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Question About Bladesinger
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Strohm
Forgotten Realms Author

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  23:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Keith Strohm's Homepage Send Keith Strohm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

Now that we know the Bladesinger novel is coming out in 2005, what are we hoping to see in that novel, and in the Fighter series in general?

Keith

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  23:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep, Keith!

For Bladesinger, I'm looking for a wonderful tale set in the Realms, as always. Specifically for this novel, though:

-A real look into what it means to be a bladesinger, both in terms of martial ability and in the mindset of the character: is it an art? One's duty? A family tradition? Or is "bladesinger" just another type of fighter to this character?

-Some of the elven culture and tradition that makes a bladesinger what he is.

-Some of the features of the bladesinger that makes him an important aspect of elven culture and tradition.

-A reverence for weapons that goes beyond magical ability.

These notions can (and, in my opinion, should) be expanded to the wider Fighter series, but for this novel, I find these issues essential.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  01:07:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll back up Garen on this one. He stated it better than I could.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  08:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Keith Strohm, and welcome to Candlekeep

For those of ye who aren't aware, Keith has been involved in all manner of tomes, a list of which can be found here

Now, for fear of heading terribly off topic, lets get back to the Bladesinger discussion, a tome which I am very much looking forward to

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  10:21:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My interest in such a novel would dwell solely in its relevance to the Realms. In other words, if all I had to do was change the place names to Greyhawk ones and viola I had a Greyhawk novel, then it wouldn't be much of an FR novel.

Basically, many writers set their novels in the Realms but don't write about the Realms, except incidentally. Let's pick a spot on the map ... ahh, Sundabar. What does the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book say about Sundabar ... right, read it, research done.

Quite simply, the writer of "Bladesinger" better beg, borrow or steal a copy of Steven Schend's "Cormanthyr" 2E gaming product and read it cover to cover. And then, after they've done that, they should read it again - to pick up on all the stuff they missed the first time. They should then proceed to FOR5 "Elves of Evermeet", "Fall of Myth Drannor", "Races of Faerun", "Demihuman Deities" and "Cloak & Dagger" (for the Eldreth Veluuthra and House Dlardrageth info) and then start thinking about writing the book. Oh, and they should drop Ed and Steven Schend a friendly e-mail and run a few things by them that they are thinking about writing on, and seek feedback.

If they do all that, they should have all their FR bases covered - the rest will be up to them and it'll be their responsibility to weave it all in and put it all together. Also, they shouldn't be afraid to name drop - seriously. Mention by name a few famous bladesingers, or legendary bladesinger feats or orders of bladesingers or anything which will add to the rich tapestry that is the Realms. It might not seem like much, but the mention of the "famous bladesinger Inthalistor Nardril of Askavar, who fell at the hands of the Ilythiiri wizard cabal known as the Ebon Staff ..." is gold to players and DMs alike.

IMHO, it's a pretty big responsibility writing in the Realms. Some see it as such, others are less committed. Let's hope the writer of Bladesinger is one of the committed ones.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  15:29:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well stated, George. I've stated before (in relation to some of the web article) that I think anyone who writes for the Realms should be required to do research like that.

Are there any Realms novels that you feel weren't properly researched, and that the setting could be changed with a few place changes?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  19:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met, Keith Strohm, and welcome to Candlekeep

For those of ye who aren't aware, Keith has been involved in all manner of tomes, a list of which can be found here

I know this may be a bit off-topic, but the person who made Keith's bibliography forgot to include his short story from Realms of Shadow.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  19:34:14  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know this may be a bit off-topic, but the person who made Keith's bibliography forgot to include his short story from Realms of Shadow.

I'm guessing that this is the same Keith Strohm who wrote Tomb of Horrors, correct?

Mr. Strohm, Tomb of Horrors was excellent! Very enjoyable!

BTW, are you writing Bladesinger?
Go to Top of Page

Keith Strohm
Forgotten Realms Author

6 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  05:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Keith Strohm's Homepage Send Keith Strohm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

quote:

I'm guessing that this is the same Keith Strohm who wrote Tomb of Horrors, correct?

Mr. Strohm, Tomb of Horrors was excellent! Very enjoyable!

BTW, are you writing Bladesinger?

Yup, I'm the same Keith. Thanks for the kind words about the Tomb of Horrors. I really enjoyed writing it, and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  05:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Keith!

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Keith Strohm
Forgotten Realms Author

6 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  05:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Keith Strohm's Homepage Send Keith Strohm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

Hi, Keith!

Thomas

Thomas Reid, you old so and so . . .how goes it?

Pinball
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  08:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Mr Thomas M Reid, ye should know better Keith can be welcomed herein

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  15:08:25  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yup, I'm the same Keith. Thanks for the kind words about the Tomb of Horrors. I really enjoyed writing it, and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Hey, you didn't answer my question. That's okay, you're probably not contractually allowed to yet. I think I can derive my own answer.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  18:23:26  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladesinger was a great read. For anyone about to embark on this journey through Rasheman: Every time the Rashemani ranger (I forget his name) speaks, make a mental picture of Borat in your mind.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  01:38:34  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about Borat but I did like this novel a lot. I hope these characters are revisited at some point.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000