Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Once Around the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  20:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are quite a few references to the AD&D comics that appear in CoS:W, one of my favorites being Harshnag the Grim from the Grey Hands.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  22:39:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And it would appear WotC assumes some parts of the "Double Diamond" novels as canon [or at least will be], given the reference in the 'Doppelganger' entry of Monsters of Faerūn. WotC tell us that when the timeline reaches 1377 DR, some form of those novels will become canon.

Was there any mention of events from the Double Diamond Triangle Saga in the GhoTR?

Not that I saw but that doesn't mean much because I've seen a few references to things that aren't referenced in Grand History.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  22:54:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And it would appear WotC assumes some parts of the "Double Diamond" novels as canon [or at least will be], given the reference in the 'Doppelganger' entry of Monsters of Faerūn. WotC tell us that when the timeline reaches 1377 DR, some form of those novels will become canon.

Was there any mention of events from the Double Diamond Triangle Saga in the GhoTR?

Not that I saw but that doesn't mean much because I've seen a few references to things that aren't referenced in Grand History.

And besides, we were only been given a few brief tidbits about the events occuring in 1377 DR from Grand History -- a more comprehensive coverage may have included the few references from the DD novels, thus making them canon as WotC have suggested.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Nov 2007 22:56:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  23:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Once Around the Realms, you guys are making me want to read it out of sheer curiosity, just to see how bad it is.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  05:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

As for Once Around the Realms, you guys are making me want to read it out of sheer curiosity, just to see how bad it is.

That would surely be the only reason I would suggest reading it. You can't fully grasp how bad it is unless you've read it.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  08:04:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember that there is no way going back Rinonalyrna. Once you have read it you will be stuck with the memory (and the aggravation)for the rest of your life. Sort of like the result of having seen Red Sonja.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  09:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Aye, it was the last FR novel I read in my backlog and I was curious to see if the reputation was valid. Whilst I enjoyed it to start, it rapidly went downhill

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  11:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If once around the realm in non canon, how are they gonna handle the Hlavvin plot? Not to mention the constant reference to events that happened in the book? e.g. elminster and khelben owning Volo a favour?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  01:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at the reactions.

I know there's no washing my brain after reading, but hey, I got through that prologue and epilogue of Realms of Magic, I can get through this.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  01:54:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found electro-shock therapy helps.

The memories are still there, but the excrutiating pain from the treatment dulls them a bit.

So you liked the beginning, Alaundo? I suppose it was Okay, if you disregard the two Star Trek captains as gate gaurds.

I figure the events 'happened' but not exactly as reported - perhaps that actor-friend of Volo's wrote it all down. He does seem to have a penchant for embellishment.

@Rinonalyrna- Read it... you'll NEVER make fun of a RAS novel again.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  02:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

@Rinonalyrna- Read it... you'll NEVER make fun of a RAS novel again.

That's saying something.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  08:08:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

at the reactions.

I know there's no washing my brain after reading, but hey, I got through that prologue and epilogue of Realms of Magic, I can get through this.

In that case you are prepared for the good parts of once around the Realms. If you get past the Undead mutant ninja elves or whatever it was I will be deeply impressed. And worried.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  19:14:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

In that case you are prepared for the good parts of once around the Realms. If you get past the Undead mutant ninja elves or whatever it was I will be deeply impressed. And worried.

It had it's moments -

Not sure why the author thought that all arch-wizards were members of the Warwizards, though, including Elminster and Khelben.

From the introduction, I get the idea that he basically wrote the story with little or no Realms knowledge, and then merely 'called' people and asked them questions about the setting, so as to tie his story to it. He must of asked "which country has a well-oreganized military?" - after that, EVERY martial character hailed from Cormyr and was an ex-Purple Dragon - even the ones in the Moonsea and Halrua! Something similar must have happened with the War Wizards ("What's a powerful group of Mages in the Realms that stand for good?").

So with VERY little knowledge, he threw together a halfway decent yarn - IF you ignore all the RW references.

So the comics are canon, eh? Cool!

I only have two, but I'm trying to aquire more ATM.

As far as the events of the Double Diamond books go, some of them are easily explainable - even though the real Khelben is dead, Tsarra is masquerading as him, and as long as she continues to do so for at least two years then that part of the series is fine. Also, the death of Helm could have something to do with why the Palidinson worships Torm instead of Tyr in the future (as per the DD novels).

His dead wife is also named incorrectly, but that could just be her middle-name - one that perhaps only Piergeiron knew of.

Everything can be accounted for, if they just put their minds to it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2007 19:14:52
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  01:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You aren't joking.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  01:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not sure why the author thought that all arch-wizards were members of the Warwizards, though, including Elminster and Khelben.

He made Elminster and Khelben War Wizards?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Nov 2007 01:25:25
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:33:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? You didn't know they were?
Seriously, this is what I call "deep irony."
You see, El and Khelben ARE both War Wizards . . . or rather, both have impersonated War Wizards successfully several times, over the years, working for Vangey for short periods without said Royal Magician knowing he had two "ringers" under him. They did this to find out EXACTLY what Vangey was up to, and to deftly "steer things" in Cormyr right under his nose. Khelben did it grudgingly (after El convinced him it was the best way to operate without "ruining" Cormyr), and El delighted in doing it.
As you might have guessed, I asked Ed about this very thing after reading "Once Around" (and groaning often, though I had to laugh at a lot of the aside and sly references, and Ed strangely seemed far more amused than upset by it - - in fact, Ed once said to me, "That's a big problem in life: too many people take things so SERIOUSLY. I love it that they care about the Realms so much and obviously love it, but, hey, try to see the laughs and just get carried along with them."
So I have.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  06:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Ed once said to me, "That's a big problem in life: too many people take things so SERIOUSLY. I love it that they care about the Realms so much and obviously love it, but, hey, try to see the laughs and just get carried along with them."
So I have.
love,
THO

I agree, just not with this particular author. I think of Ed's Spin a Yarn stories as fun and light-hearted, and I love them. "Never a Warpig Born" is one of my all-time favorite stories, I've read it over and over again. I also think Jeff Grubb's work on the Forgotten Realms comics, while not always "serious," stands up to most of the other Realms fiction out there ("Cannibal Girls Won't You Come Out Tonight" comes to mind). I think the thing that spoiled this one for me was all of the RW references, they take the fantasy out of it for me. Fantasy can be fun without being goofy, but it takes a certain kind of writer to pull it off.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  06:08:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You aren't joking.

Nope. And then there is the gnome Gnorm that everyone greets when he gets into the bar.

As for taking it seriously. It was more a case of the silliness and jokes being bad then it being "wrong" to make fun of the Realms. A good Realms parody I would read any-day.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  01:41:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if you ignore all the silliness, you still have to wonder why two basically un-armed gents are able to casualy stroll into Myth Drannor....

Or why a Dwarven captain of a Halruan Skyship (pre-3e!) was hiding his ship from the local mages, but three outsiders were able to locate him within a day just by asking a couple of questions...

not to mention he was the capt of the Minnow and called his under-sized Pterraman friend "little buddy"...

Need we go on?

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Nov 2007 01:42:04
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  20:27:36  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You aren't joking.

It gets worse than that. Trust me.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Ousia
Acolyte

Denmark
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  16:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Ousia's Homepage Send Ousia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finished reading "Once Around the Realms".

I have been reading primarely about Cormyr since I was writing short stories for my family about a family in Cormyr, which was a mirror of my own family. I have tons of Forgotten Realms novelles and sourcebooks, which has not been read yet. Hence I started.... and "Once Around the Realms" seemed like a good place to start.

The quality of the writing is poor, though I was somehow entertained anyway. It served as a appatizer and 2 minutes after I finished the book I have picked up "Shadowdale". I am amused by the Forgotten Realms and the characters of my own stories may now journey into Faerun :-)

To be updated
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  23:50:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Once Around the Realms" isn't the FR Book Department's finest hour. For a proper intro to the Realms, I'd recommend "Cormyr: A Novel", "Spellfire", "Elfshadow", "Elminster: The Making of a Mage" or "Swords of Eveningstar".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  00:42:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Once Around the Realms" isn't the FR Book Department's finest hour. For a proper intro to the Realms, I'd recommend "Cormyr: A Novel", "Spellfire", "Elfshadow", "Elminster: The Making of a Mage" or "Swords of Eveningstar".

-- George Krashos

I would add Azure Bonds to that list.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  14:04:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire I would say is best for intro-purposes (since that is precisely why it was written, with tons of 'cameos').

Once Around the Realms is probably THE WORST book to read first, because you may never read another after it. Entertaining - YES. FR? No... just NO.

On the other hand, it did help me with one conundrum in K-T, and also helped explain a continuity weirdness (not problem - just a 'huh?' moment). That weirdness was that although nearly all lore on Halruaa says they NEVER sell or give-away their airships, I can think of at least three references to them having done so. In that novel it explains how older models are decommissioned, but the 'ship graveyards' aren't watched all that closely (odd, I know), so that entrepreneurial types have been able to fix some up and use/sell them for themselves. Like I said - the books is not great, but it does have its moments.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Nov 2014 14:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  00:46:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I re-read this book for a laugh in the last week; I had forgotten that there are some appearances from:
-Vangey
-Khelben
-Storm
-Drizzt
-Alias
-Dragonbait

Honestly if they scrapped all the real world references I wouldn't hate it. What a weird editorial decision. I imagine this was meant to be a book to get people who don't like D&D to read a FR novel?
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  23:17:58  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually got my wife to read the original Drizzt trilogy years ago so there are most definitely others that will get a non-D&D person's attention. Sadly, at this point, it was long enough ago that she probably pictures all elves to look like Dobby the House Elf.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  06:36:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Seravin,

Yeah, it really did seem like they were trying to pick the names with the greatest recognition to get people into the game. Sad, sad on that one for sure.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000