Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Just curious....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  07:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
...of all the D&D based PC games out there that you've played, which has been the coolest in both 'old school' and newer, and why? Doesn't neccessarily have to be FR based.
('old school' - pre 3D graphics)

Of the 'old school' games, even though it isn't FR, it would have to be Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager. Just a great representaion of that world even in only 2D graphics. The story was cool, and some of the monsters you fought (frigging mind flayers!) just made you scream. I loved the way they put psionics in the game too.

Of the newer games it would have to be Neverwinter Nights. Simply because of the ALL the player made modules that are out there. True, the original single-player game was kind of easy and the story wasn't that great. But all of the best player mods are heads an above that. Imagine being able to go through the original Ravenloft adventure, castle and all, or the Temple of Elemental Evil again, or even fight the balrog on the Bridge of Khazad Dum. And the beauty is that they're ALL free for download. THAT is the biggest selling point about the game to me.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  08:00:00  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never played any "old school" CRPGs.

I like BG II the best.

I just couldn't deal with NwN after my monk single-handedly killed the "corrupted" silver and bronze (or copper) dragons simultaneously in the intro module. I was playing on the Hard Core setting, which I gather is supposed to mimic PnP 3e.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  09:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the old-school, I'd have to say the FR game Dungeon Hack was the best I'd played, though I haven't played many. I'm not saying it couldn't have been better (I can think of many ways in which it could have been) but I think that its randomness was good. You never played the same game twice, so it took longer for me to get bored with it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  17:12:43  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... I have been with the D&D computer games since pools of Radiance. It might just be that i was 16 years old when I played it, but I LOVE the Secret of the SILVER BLADES for the Commodore 64. It was a great RPG. Can I say that it was better than BG? Well BG was 3d, and I do think the story of Silver Blades was better, not that BG was bad.

Where can you downlaod NWN games. I only played the boxed game I never bothered to play anything made by anyone. I actually never thought of it actually, I am not big fan of online games. They seem to be a complete repitition of non-complex linear adventures (Like Everquest).

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  19:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never played any of the "old school" games, but of the newer ones I'd have to say Neverwinter Nights is the best. It's the first PC game I've played in third edition (well, the first good one...I've played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, ugghh!), and I haven't been disappointed by it. I have yet to even try the multiplayer mode (I don't think it's called this but I don't know the correct term)but I'm sure I've played Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but I like Neverwinter Nights better, mainly because of the third edition rules instead of the second edition rules.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  22:20:01  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only one rpg fixed me in front of my screen: Ultima VII. I grew quickly bored of BG and the kind.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  01:43:59  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old school: Difficult to decide between Ultima III and any of the Heroes of Might & Magic games.

New School: Planscape: Torment closely followed by Neverwinter Nights (although I have to admit that the main attraction for NWN was the editor)
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  02:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

Hmmmm... I have been with the D&D computer games since pools of Radiance. It might just be that i was 16 years old when I played it, but I LOVE the Secret of the SILVER BLADES for the Commodore 64. It was a great RPG. Can I say that it was better than BG? Well BG was 3d, and I do think the story of Silver Blades was better, not that BG was bad.

Where can you downlaod NWN games. I only played the boxed game I never bothered to play anything made by anyone. I actually never thought of it actually, I am not big fan of online games. They seem to be a complete repitition of non-complex linear adventures (Like Everquest).

Wow Mournblade, Comm 64 huh? That's more like ancient school!

Check out these two sites for NWN modules.
The Neverwinter Vault
The Official Bioware NWN Community

There are just too many single-player mods to mention that I really liked, but here are a few to try:
Citadel Of Blood - All three chapters. Very tough!
Spires Of Ravenloft - Just like the PNP module.
Sex and the Single Adventuress - the title says it all
The Silver Key - a Cthulhu flavored adventure. Don't try it unless your PC is at least 15th lvl

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Lazerrus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  03:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Lazerrus's Homepage Send Lazerrus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Yasraena you want old school I got old school for ya. My fist two D&D related VIDEO non pc games were for the Intellivision console platform. This was vintage atari 2600 era. The first was just called advanced dungeons and dragons. Then came for the same system Advanced Dungeons and Dragons The Treasure Of Tarmin that was the first 3d maze walker I ever played. Ahhhhhhhh the memories

If it be the will of Corellon, It shall be done!
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  07:47:36  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the Intellivisioon was my first D&D experience as well. I didn't quite understand the basic rules back in 4th grade so I just played the Intellivision:)

Thank you for the links Yasraena! I shall play them tomorrow!

AND HEY!!! I am only 30!!!! I have just been playing D&D since I was 9!!!! You can fit a drinking age in the years I have been playing D&D!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 20 Apr 2003 07:48:55
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  14:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... let's see... not sure which of the old school i liked... i've played and beaten Pool of Radiance, Curse of Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Fronteir, Treasure of the Savage Frontier, Unlimited Adventures, Dark Queen of Krynn (i played Champions of krynn and nearly beat it... but it fudged up right before i did somehow... and i can't recall... and i never took the time to do Death Knights of Krynn)... Menzoberranzan would be considered low 3d, right? Think those are all the old school i've played... think i kinda liked Dark Queen of Krynn (cept you couldn't customize the char unit for battles) and Pools of Darkness... just cause you get high-level... and can kick arse :P hehe

As for the 3-d games... I've only played and beaten BG(and ToSC), IWD(and HoW)... started BG2(and ToB)... but didn't get very far before my comp decided to need a harddrive reset... or whatever it was... I have yet to mess with IWD2, PoR:RoMD, and NWN (eventhough i have all of those....)

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  06:17:44  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eternal Dagger for my Commodore 64. Had parties of up to eight characters.

https://d1k5w7mbrh6vq5.cloudfront.net/images/cache/78/bd/90/78bd90e065a9046d0d6978569aef0c39.png

Thay Red

Edited by - Thraskir Skimper on 10 Jul 2018 06:22:37
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  12:33:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape: Torment is the best of the classic (A)D&D CRPGs in my opinion. Although the game uses strangely advanced dead-end-fork version of what later became BioWare's famous Infinity Engine, and a variety of mods/updates are required to make it fully playable on modern computers. Contains over 800,000 words of in-game dialog/text - compared to 473,000 words in Tolkien's entire (unabridged/annotated) Lord of the Rings trilogy - and a huge variety of paths and plots and endings which can't possibly be explored in any single playthrough. It also embraces the Planescape setting in weird and wonderful ways, and it inspired a whole culture of "avant-garde" fantasy.

Apparently Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn is quite excellent, popularly acclaimed as the best CRPG game of all time. Apparently contains some 1,000,000 words of in-game dialog/text, although some reviewers suggest it's a lot less varied the PS:T and "repetitively" recycles large blocks of text with tiny variations. Not sure if playing BG1 first would add any depth to BG2, haven't played either one.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  13:14:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually never played a computer D&D game.

I played a Sega Genesis D&D game, back in the day, though: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. I don't recall a lot about the game, other than the fact I eventually had a party consisting of two elves, a fighter, and a wizard, and that I had a hell of a time trying to get thru this cave to the north because this dragon thing called the phobosuchus kept TPK'ing me. I think I had to stop trying and gain like 5 more levels before I was able to clear that cave.

I tried to install Dungeon Hack several years ago; it was around 2007, and I was trying to install it on an XP box. IIRC, it failed because the software was 16 bit and didn't want to install on a 32 bit system.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2018 :  00:56:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale were all good. Everquest was awesome when I first jumped on that band wagon back in the day. I liked some of the old school King's Quest for PC back in the day too.

Newer stuff, Dragon Age Origins was great. Witcher 3 is probably my favorite story-based RPG ever created for video games, so good. The Mass Effect series is good too, though 1 is kind of janky with planet driving and the latest game ME:Andromeda was missing the good storytelling of BioWare.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2018 :  01:28:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warriors of the Eternal Game - I remember that one!

It's technically a CRPG, I suppose. But I would call it more of a "proto-CRPG" - like the original Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima, Might & Magic sorts of games of the era - lacking many of the complexities and refinements which evolved into standard CRPG fare. My main criticism would be that it's very weak on story and background and fluff - your "characters" are basically just combat units, other characters are basically just targets or mile markers, there's no "roleplaying" dialog or choices or objectives, the final objective (kill the big boss) wins the game but just seems like a meaningless accomplishment because it's all about clashing those raw stats and numbers and nothing at all about the path you took to reach it.

Wooly, I think you'd greatly enjoy the "Gold Box" and "Good Old Games" sorts of CRPGs. Assuming you can overlook the primitive graphics and predictable tropes, lol. And I think you'd get sucked into many hours of enjoyment on one of the more advanced CRPGs.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2018 :  01:34:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Warriors of the Eternal Game - I remember that one!

It's technically a CRPG, I suppose. But I would call it more of a "proto-CRPG" - like the original Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima, Might & Magic sorts of games of the era - lacking many of the complexities and refinements which evolved into standard CRPG fare. My main criticism would be that it's very weak on story and background and fluff - your "characters" are basically just combat units, other characters are basically just targets or mile markers, there's no "roleplaying" dialog or choices or objectives, the final objective (kill the big boss) wins the game but just seems like a meaningless accomplishment because it's all about clashing those raw stats and numbers and nothing at all about the path you took to reach it.

Wooly, I think you'd greatly enjoy the "Gold Box" and "Good Old Games" sorts of CRPGs. Assuming you can overlook the primitive graphics and predictable tropes, lol. And I think you'd get sucked into many hours of enjoyment on one of the more advanced CRPGs.

I likely would... Sadly, though, the time to play games is not readily available.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2018 :  14:15:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy Scroll Resurrection Batman...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 11 Jul 2018 14:16:02
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  00:21:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Holy Scroll Resurrection Batman...

Well, that explains why I didn't recognize most of the scribes ... and I'd thought it's just because I haven't been around much lately, haha.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  03:38:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games, but they were not as good - even though they were much larger and less step by step than the older games. The original EOB game was great, and I also liked Menzo and Dungeon Hack. All of these were good standing alone. Going even further back there was Pool of Radiance which was much more by the rules with much worse graphics. I still wish to this day I could get past the green slime in the library garden to see what is in there :).

My favorite fantasy computer games ever are: The Bard's Tale (NES, not computer), Ultima V, and the Final Fantasy games and their precursor Dragon Warrior.
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  13:58:51  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely adore the first Neverwinter Nights (the sequel is a different story). I spent countless hours tinkering with the toolset, creating my own adventures for multiplayer... good times.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2018 :  11:09:42  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Eye of the Beholder series of games.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2018 :  13:13:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"coolest" Old School is probably original Baldur's Gate. I know by some standards that's not old enough, but keep in mind that I only ever had Console games til about mid-90's and by then it was a toss up between Diablo, Warcraft (the good ol' RTS game), and Baldur's Gate. Only one of those was based on D&D.

Coolest New School is probably the Neverwinter game I have for both XBox One and PC that's an MMO. Say what you want about it, the 4e-isms and hyper-focus on Fetch Quests I actually love how they visualized many parts of the Realms and how it's actually done a great job of at least affecting my Pen and Paper D&D games set in Neverwinter. I'm not keen on some aspects (like Paladins only using maces, WTH??) but after getting to level 67 with my Rogue from Luskan completely without ANY purchasing crap and gift boxes and loot crates, it's still fun. Going on adventuers with Drizzt, Bruenor, Minsc, and meeting a LOT of NPCs that have cropped up in our Pen and Paper games via Living Forgotten Realms adventures, I was thrilled.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2018 :  10:17:53  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New School is Witcher 3
Old School...Pool of Radiance! It got me into the Realms and was so far ahead of its time.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2018 :  19:55:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Reading this from the beginning, lol. Video games, and D&D-related ones, have come a long way since 2003.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2018 :  23:59:50  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur’s Gate 2 and Planescape for the newer school are my favorite, for older school gotta say Curse of the Azure Bonds and Gateway to the Savage Frontier are both enjoyable, Pool of Radiance is great too.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2018 :  03:25:18  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First computerish D&D game I played was the one on the Atari 2600. Now, THAT was a dragon fight....

But, the one that I really enjoyed was NWN. I even set up a persistent server at home and my wife, daughter, and I would form a group (that actually started our on-line family computer gaming). I loved the mods for it. But, then Everquest came out and we started playing that (there are still times where I really miss playing my bard).

We did play the D&D online game. That was my first introduction to the Warforged. I like them. I occasionally play Neverwinter on the Xbox. I have a couple characters on there.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2018 :  01:05:24  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The games I keep coming back to are BG2, NWN2 and to a lesser extent Icewind Dale 1 & 2.

In fact, I'm currently playing BG2:ToB (again), with the Gibberlings 3 Kivan & Deheriana NPC mod.
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2018 :  04:42:47  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I love BG and NWN. Don't know if EQ counts as D&D or not, but I loved that game as well. Kinda still do, just don't like to admit it...
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2018 :  20:37:02  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's the Infinity Engine games (BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2) with the exception of Planescape: Torment. I'm one of those rare few that just doesn't like Planescape all that much. Not that I begrudge it's existence by any means. It's just too....odd for my tastes.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  13:53:31  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you say that about Planescape. I've always been interested just because of its FR ties, but it looks bizarre! I think I'll steer clear for now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000