Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  20:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

thank you for your answers and to all others as well (especialy GK).
To the "nothing happened" theory - that is what I see as a problem - I can believe this with sarrukh or batrachi before them - they hybernate for looong time but elves do no such thing and it is obvious from later ages that they do not let time just flow - they are ambitious race.

It's less a matter of "nothing happened" and more a "nothing INTERESTING OR OF HISTORICAL INTEREST happened," to be clear.

Very few histories cover the development of basic technological milestones save their importance or use in other more notable incidents (I.E. developing chariots and bows for speedier, more dangerous battles/armies & their first use in battles where they made a difference)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2016 :  01:18:09  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend I had some questions concerning the fall of myth Drannor book and i was hoping you could give me some insight into it. In the book on page 21 there is mention of a tiny elven realm called Kerymiir, given its location in the north western part of the forest between Voolnar and the dagger hills makes me think it was once part of Rystall woods and when the 12 nights of fire happened it got separated and though not feeling it had any close ties to the other elven realms in Cormanthor as it did with Rystall woods choose instead to form its own minor realm. Im not sure how much information you had on Kerymiir beyond the name, but if i could get your thoughts on this minor realm.
Also it is mentioned that the army of darkness looted the realm of most of its treasures and from what I can gather during the early campaigns at least they only did that when they found treasure of use in their war against the elves, was there any sort of unique magic that Kerymiir had access to spellbooks, baubles, or weapons that Aulmpiter wanted or is that just me reading to much into that passage.
Any information would be much appreciated and thank you for your time in answering the communities questions.
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2016 :  22:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a recently new DM to D&D. I started 3.5 years ago, and my tale began in Tethyr and Calimshan. Wanting to be well-prepared, I purchased the old 2e Lands of Intrigue, Empires of the Shining Sea, and Calimport sourcebooks. First, you are definitely my favorite sourcebook writer. I appreciate the detail you put into all of your characters; even when they appear "minor", you clearly had thought about their backstories.

Anyhow, I am now one of the admins at the Forgotten Realms wikia. I've written a lot of the newer articles about the history and geography and the people of the Lands of Intrigue. I was hoping you could answer some questions about the Rhindaun Dynasty (mostly).

1. I know from Dragon #365 that Sybille Rhindaun, Zaranda's 1st daughter, did in fact become queen. Do you know the dates of her reign?

2. I know from your novel Blackstaff Tower that a Cyriana was queen of Tethyr (p. 248). Did Zaranda's 2nd daughter become queen after her sister's death? Or was this a different Cyriana?

3. Was King Errilam, mentioned in the same book of royal blood also? Errilam was one of Haedrak's middle names and was one of the famous kings of the Lions' Dynasty. It seems odd that Cyriana would marry someone else of royal blood, since Haedrak was the last of that line.

4. Which of the Thanns did Mynda Gyrfalcon-Thann marry? Was it perhaps Zelphar's son? If so, did Zelphar finally marry Perendra?

5. Was Mynda Gyrfalcon-Thann the daughter of Arn and Lara, making her the granddaughter of Gamalon and making her named after her grandmother?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Lhynard on 23 Jul 2016 22:57:08
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  13:33:04  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven,

I will through this question out there and see what happens, maybe George will answer first, lol

Rhymanthiin, can you speculate what the influence of the Dark Elves return was on the city? How did the city effect them and how did their influx on the City effect it?

With the Eilistraee's return to the Realms, has bardic academies that she was famous for when she was at her height in Miyeritar returned in the spirit of her golden age?

How much of the history, lore, traditions, of what the Dark Elves were been remembered? Have the Sharn that were Dark Elves that didn't return to transform themselves in elves because they would have been drow, tought the newly returned Dark Elves of their language, their past, and High Magic?
What can you tell us Khelben and Laeral's son's life after the return until now? Is he even alive?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  13:52:38  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will we see you dive into the Ed's new world of Stormtalon's?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:25:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lhynard

I'm a recently new DM to D&D. I started 3.5 years ago, and my tale began in Tethyr and Calimshan. Wanting to be well-prepared, I purchased the old 2e Lands of Intrigue, Empires of the Shining Sea, and Calimport sourcebooks. First, you are definitely my favorite sourcebook writer. I appreciate the detail you put into all of your characters; even when they appear "minor", you clearly had thought about their backstories.

Anyhow, I am now one of the admins at the Forgotten Realms wikia. I've written a lot of the newer articles about the history and geography and the people of the Lands of Intrigue. I was hoping you could answer some questions about the Rhindaun Dynasty (mostly).

1. I know from Dragon #365 that Sybille Rhindaun, Zaranda's 1st daughter, did in fact become queen. Do you know the dates of her reign?

I'll help Steven out here as he's likely super busy and can't trawl through his "stuff" (which I've been trying to collate and tidy up lately). Note that this information all comes from Steven's feverishly brilliant mind but has never been made "official" by WotC, as far as I know.

Queen Sybille II ascended to the throne of Tethyr in 1397 DR.

quote:

2. I know from your novel Blackstaff Tower that a Cyriana was queen of Tethyr (p. 248). Did Zaranda's 2nd daughter become queen after her sister's death? Or was this a different Cyriana?

Queen Cyriana III ascended to the throne of Tethyr in 1445 DR. She was the daughter of Prince Nishan, son and second child of Queen Sybille, and succeeded her aunt Zaranda, who reigned as Zaranda II from 1422 DR.

quote:

3. Was King Errilam, mentioned in the same book of royal blood also? Errilam was one of Haedrak's middle names and was one of the famous kings of the Lions' Dynasty. It seems odd that Cyriana would marry someone else of royal blood, since Haedrak was the last of that line.

There's no surname for Errilam. I would hazard that he was a Tethyrian nobleman named Errilam, and not of royal blood but only Steven can confirm that.

quote:

4. Which of the Thanns did Mynda Gyrfalcon-Thann marry? Was it perhaps Zelphar's son? If so, did Zelphar finally marry Perendra?

She married Kheldrak Thann, oldest son of Zelphar Thann and the Court Vizera Perendra Raslemtar. So the answer to your second question is "yes".

quote:

5. Was Mynda Gyrfalcon-Thann the daughter of Arn and Lara, making her the granddaughter of Gamalon and making her named after her grandmother?

Yes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  16:08:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

What can you tell us Khelben and Laeral's son's life after the return until now? Is he even alive?

Krehlan Arunsun succeded Kyriani Agrivar as Blackstaff of Waterdeep. His fate is mentioned on p.156 of the novel "Blackstaff Tower".

As for the other questions, they are way out of my league.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Aug 2016 16:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  18:45:09  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Thanks so much, George.

One more question: do you know anything about Queen Anais, who ruled Tethyr as late as 1489 DR (5e)? Is she the daughter of Cyriana III?
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  21:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lied; I have yet another related question:

Is Princess Zandra, on page 249 of Blackstaff Tower, Cyriana III's daughter or sister?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  14:10:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One more question: do you know anything about Queen Anais, who ruled Tethyr as late as 1489 DR (5e)? Is she the daughter of Cyriana III?

Steven's family tree doesn't reference the 4E lore and I suspect was written well prior to the release of the 4E FRCS.

I have done some padding and further work to it and have Queen Anais as the daughter of Queen Cyriana III and her consort Errilam Linden. She is born in 1445 DR and comes to the throne in 1460 DR (Tethyr has a history of young monarchs).

Princess Zandra is the daughter of Prince Coram, brother to Queen Sybille II. She was born in 1399 DR and became Court Vizera at the age of 70 with the death of Mynda in 1469 DR.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  22:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Steven's family tree doesn't reference the 4E lore and I suspect was written well prior to the release of the 4E FRCS.

I have done some padding and further work to it and have Queen Anais as the daughter of Queen Cyriana III and her consort Errilam Linden. She is born in 1445 DR and comes to the throne in 1460 DR (Tethyr has a history of young monarchs).

Princess Zandra is the daughter of Prince Coram, brother to Queen Sybille II. She was born in 1399 DR and became Court Vizera at the age of 70 with the death of Mynda in 1469 DR.

-- George Krashos

You, sir, are amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2016 :  22:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zandra had a sister Jemra, who married into the noble line of Cormyr. Which sister was born first?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  01:47:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zandra had a sister Jemra, who married into the noble line of Cormyr. Which sister was born first?

You mean Zaranda. Zaranda is older, otherwise Jemra would have been queen of Tethyr in her place.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Sep 2016 01:55:51
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  19:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You mean Zaranda. Zaranda is older, otherwise Jemra would have been queen of Tethyr in her place.

-- George Krashos

Hmm, something is not right then....

Actually, I did mean Zandra, but I had made an assumption about Jemra that may not be true.

Jemra is said in "Backdrop: Cormyr" from Dragon #365, p. 44, to be the niece of Queen Sybille II. This conflicts with what you are implying here about her being Zaranda II's sister.

I had been assuming that she was the daughter of Prince Coram, but this is nowhere stated directly. She could also have been the daughter of Princess Cyriana Rhindaun.

So we have Zaranda as the daughter of Sybille, Zandra as the daughter of Coram, and Jemra as the daughter of either Coram or Cyriana, but which one?

(I hope you don't mind all of my questions; your wonderful answers have been helping me to build this: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Rhindaun_Dynasty/Family_tree)
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  05:37:12  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

I recently finished Blackstaff Tower, which I thoroughly enjoyed by the way, so thank you. I've always been very interested in how Waterdeep functions as a city, and I had a question for you about the Watchful Order.

Within Blackstaff Tower you describe apprentices within the Watchful Order as "third years", "fourth years", and so forth, making me wonder if the Order in 1479 serves a dual function as a magic academy. I had always imagined the guild as a group of independent mages with loose agreements on sharing some knowledge, doing some policing for the city and so forth - I hadn't considered that they may be teaching magic to apprentices in a school-like fashion, rather than the traditional master-apprentice relationship.

Anything you can share with us about the Watchful Order would be appreciated, but I'm especially interested in whether or not it functions as a magic school - and if so, what sort of requirements would a student have to meet to move up to the next year level?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  09:40:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm, something is not right then....

Actually, I did mean Zandra, but I had made an assumption about Jemra that may not be true.

Jemra is said in "Backdrop: Cormyr" from Dragon #365, p. 44, to be the niece of Queen Sybille II. This conflicts with what you are implying here about her being Zaranda II's sister.

I had been assuming that she was the daughter of Prince Coram, but this is nowhere stated directly. She could also have been the daughter of Princess Cyriana Rhindaun.

So we have Zaranda as the daughter of Sybille, Zandra as the daughter of Coram, and Jemra as the daughter of either Coram or Cyriana, but which one?

(I hope you don't mind all of my questions; your wonderful answers have been helping me to build this: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Rhindaun_Dynasty/Family_tree)

I wasn't aware of the reference in the Backdrop: Cormyr article (and note that I'm working off Steven Schend's Tethyr notes, not Brian Cortijo's Cormyr notes which Brian James likely had access to).

I note also that the novel "The Fanged Crown" appears to deal with the Tethyr royal family and the line of succession. I don't have that book (have just ordered a copy) but I suspect that it will put a significant monkey wrench into the Tethyr lore I have provided here and the Tethyr lineage I have will need a significant revamp. I'll get back to you in a couple of months!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  11:01:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend, can you tell us something about the Mielikkar, a sacred creature of Mielikki which was killed by a (now former) ranger which lives in Conyberry, according to the boxed set The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier? If so, I'd like to know which kind of creature it was, how it looked like and, if possible, special powers / stats.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2017 :  16:56:17  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven

I am interested in all the information you have on the Nekorrak that's not printed in the books.

Cheers.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2017 :  18:32:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven, did you by any chance come up with the elven realm of Calmaercor mentioned in Richard Baker's Shadowstone novel.

If so id love to know a bit more about it if you have anymore thoughts on it?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2017 :  17:12:31  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About cloisters of Ilmater, I found two list :

The cloisters of Ilmater are noted under their full names, though everyone refers to them simply by their saint's names (i.e. "St. Alaric's, St. Cabram's, etc.). They are listed by age (first number), and each has a second number, which ranks its prestige among the clergy:
1 // 2 // Convent of St. Rhynda // Night violet (deep bluish-purple flower). // Dedicated in the Year of Bright Nights (985 DR). (Queen Rhinda? page 35 LOI-Tethyr)
2 // 7 // Missionary of St. Cabram // Sunset daisy (deep orange) // Dedicated in the Year of the Stone Rose (1017 DR)
3 // 4 // Monastery of St. Natan // Calim lily (local pale blue floating lily) Dedicated in the Year of the Keening Gale (1050 DR)
4 // 5 // Seminary of St. Ostus // Morning glory // Dedicated in the Year of Shambles (1088 DR)
5 // 1 // Convent of St. Teresa // Bloodlily (scarlet lily) // Dedicated in the Year of Azure Blood (1126 DR)
6 // 3 // Abbey of St. Alaric // Briar rose // Dedicated in the Year of the Howling Moon (1130 DR)
7 // 8 // Hospice of St. Corin // Thistle // Dedicated in the Year of the Yellow Rose (1242 DR)
8 // 10 // Cloister of St. Ramedar // Rock violet (pale, miniature ground flower) // Dedicated in the Year of the Dragon (1352 DR). detailed in PP
9 // 9 // Monastery of St. Domin // Mountain daisy (tiny, ochre-yellow ground-crawling flowers) // Dedicated in the Year of Maidens (1361 DR). Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II page 99/100
10 // 6 // Priory of St. Silvyr // Tuarlye (blue flower with green highlights indigenous only to the Forest of Tethir) // Dedicated in the Year of the Staff (1366 DR). (King Silvyr? page 31 LOI-Tethyr)

The ten cloisters of Ilmater are, in order of age:
1) Convent of St. Rhynda: [385 yrs old; est. in 985] County Vintor; nuns' house, training area for specialty priests
2) Missionary of St. Cabram: [353 yrs old; est. in 1017] County Elemetar; facility for missionaries (w/port).
3) Monastery of St. Toramir: [320 yrs old; est. in 1050] County Monteshi; school, orphanage, paladins' garrison
4) Seminary of St. Ostus: [281 yrs old; est. in 1088] County Rivershire; general education school, scriptorium
5) Convent of St. Teresa: [244 yrs old; est. in 1126] County Alonmarch; school for midwives; one of few that also teaches nonhuman medicine.
6) Abbey of St. Alaric: [240 yrs old; est. in 1130] County Morninggold; advanced/senior school and library, training area for specialty priests.
7) Hospice of St. Corin: [128 yrs old; est. in 1242] County Surkazar; hospital & garrison vs. Forest of Mir
8) Cloister of St. Ramedar: [18 yrs old; est. in 1352] County Fyraven; cloistered place of penitence & sanitarium.
9) Monastery of St. Domin: [9 yrs old; est. in 1361] County Starspur; fortified orphanage, school, shipbuilders
10) Priory of St. Silvyr: [4 yrs old; est. in 1366] County Spellshire; elf/human allied monastic school, scriptorium

The St isn't the same in third entry :

3 // 4 // Monastery of St. Natan // Calim lily (local pale blue floating lily) Dedicated in the Year of the Keening Gale (1050 DR)
3) Monastery of St. Toramir: [320 yrs old; est. in 1050] County Monteshi; school, orphanage, paladins' garrison

The two are correct or one is wrong ? or is it the same character with two different name ?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 12 Nov 2017 17:17:01
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  09:58:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see from Steven's "Lands of Intrigue" notes that in the drafts the third saint was St Toramir but in the final pre-edit write-up it was changed to St Natan. I'd go with the latter. For your information, here is what was cut from the final product and would have been on p.81 of the Tethyr Booklet:

Monastery of St. Natan: The Year of the Keening Gale (1050 DR) saw the dedication and construction of this garrison and Ilmatran temple in the name of the paladin Prince Natan, the third son of King Coram who died saving his family (including the future King Coram II) and a caravan of strangers from a trio of wereboars. While this had always been a paladins' garrison and temple in honor of Natan's dying wish, the prince was sanctified within a few months' time, and this became the Garrison and Monastery of St. Natan. For more than 300 years, this has been an orphanage, school, and paladins' garrison, all under the watchful eyes of St. Natan. He is buried in one corner of the courtyard, and this site, considered holy by more than just Ilmater's faithful, was left undisturbed during the Black Days and the Interregnum. This is only one of three known royal tombs that were left totally unspoiled. The complex lies in western Monteshi 20 miles west of Darromar and south of the River Ith.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  10:08:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Hi Steven

I am interested in all the information you have on the Nekorrak that's not printed in the books.

Cheers.

What's "the Nekorrak"?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2017 :  13:05:38  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can see from Steven's "Lands of Intrigue" notes that in the drafts the third saint was St Toramir but in the final pre-edit write-up it was changed to St Natan. I'd go with the latter. For your information, here is what was cut from the final product and would have been on p.81 of the Tethyr Booklet:

Monastery of St. Natan: The Year of the Keening Gale (1050 DR) saw the dedication and construction of this garrison and Ilmatran temple in the name of the paladin Prince Natan, the third son of King Coram who died saving his family (including the future King Coram II) and a caravan of strangers from a trio of wereboars. While this had always been a paladins' garrison and temple in honor of Natan's dying wish, the prince was sanctified within a few months' time, and this became the Garrison and Monastery of St. Natan. For more than 300 years, this has been an orphanage, school, and paladins' garrison, all under the watchful eyes of St. Natan. He is buried in one corner of the courtyard, and this site, considered holy by more than just Ilmater's faithful, was left undisturbed during the Black Days and the Interregnum. This is only one of three known royal tombs that were left totally unspoiled. The complex lies in western Monteshi 20 miles west of Darromar and south of the River Ith.

-- George Krashos

Thank you very much for this reply.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2018 :  20:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wasn't aware of the reference in the Backdrop: Cormyr article (and note that I'm working off Steven Schend's Tethyr notes, not Brian Cortijo's Cormyr notes which Brian James likely had access to).

I note also that the novel "The Fanged Crown" appears to deal with the Tethyr royal family and the line of succession. I don't have that book (have just ordered a copy) but I suspect that it will put a significant monkey wrench into the Tethyr lore I have provided here and the Tethyr lineage I have will need a significant revamp. I'll get back to you in a couple of months!

-- George Krashos

Hey, did you ever get around to reading The Fanged Crown? If not, I might pick up a copy.

I found that the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide includes more details on Anais. She was half-sister to Evonne Linden and had a grandfather named Reinhold. She seems to have had no children of her own, because her niece, Ysabel, is the heir.
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2018 :  20:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have questions about an entirely different family, the Pesarkals. I know from p. 65 of ''Empires of the Shining Sea'' that Ralan had at least 21 sons! Do Steven's notes answer any of the following questions:

• Ralan el Pesarkhal had two wives (EotSS, p74) named Catahra (EotSS, p101) and Oma (EotSS, p108). Who was the mother of each of his sons Fahd, Tahyr, Harun, Tamal, and Faruk?

• Ralan's much younger brother Nasim, the "Dark Caleph", was married to a woman named Nureh. Nureh's mother was named Catahra (EotSS, p116). Does this imply that Nureh was both daughter-in-law and daughter to Ralan?

• Fatima was Ralan's oldest daughter. Was she older or younger than Fahd and Tahyr?

• Where do his daughters Saida and Kadila fall in the birth order?

• Were his nephews Asraf and Kadar sons of Nasim or another unnamed brother or sister? Were they older or younger than Maham and Nasim the Younger?

You can see what I have started here:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/User:Lhynard/Projects/Family_Tree_Project#In_Progress
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  02:56:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Hey, did you ever get around to reading The Fanged Crown? If not, I might pick up a copy.

I found that the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide includes more details on Anais. She was half-sister to Evonne Linden and had a grandfather named Reinhold. She seems to have had no children of her own, because her niece, Ysabel, is the heir.

Hi Lhynard

Yes, the novel did finally arrive and notwithstanding that it is not the best FR novel out there, it had enough info there to let me revamp the Tethyr post-Spellplague royal line. It's all good now. Have sent it to Steven for his comments and am awaiting a response.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 Apr 2018 03:20:35
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  03:50:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also have questions about an entirely different family, the Pesarkals. I know from p. 65 of ''Empires of the Shining Sea'' that Ralan had at least 21 sons! Do Steven's notes answer any of the following questions:

• Ralan el Pesarkhal had two wives (EotSS, p74) named Catahra (EotSS, p101) and Oma (EotSS, p108). Who was the mother of each of his sons Fahd, Tahyr, Harun, Tamal, and Faruk?

• Ralan's much younger brother Nasim, the "Dark Caleph", was married to a woman named Nureh. Nureh's mother was named Catahra (EotSS, p116). Does this imply that Nureh was both daughter-in-law and daughter to Ralan?

• Fatima was Ralan's oldest daughter. Was she older or younger than Fahd and Tahyr?

• Where do his daughters Saida and Kadila fall in the birth order?

• Were his nephews Asraf and Kadar sons of Nasim or another unnamed brother or sister? Were they older or younger than Maham and Nasim the Younger?

You can see what I have started here:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/User:Lhynard/Projects/Family_Tree_Project#In_Progress

This info is superfluous to the EotSS project but indicative of Steven's skill, creativity and drive.

Ralan's children and their mothers in order are:

Fahd (Catahra)
Fatima (Catahra) [daughter - married off to the Galsah family]
Tahyr (Catahra)
Kaelis (Catahra)
{Unnamed} (Catahra)
{Unnamed} (Fadila - jhasina)
Harun (Fadila - jhasina)
{Unnamed} (Fadila - jhasina)
{Unnamed} (Symari)
{Unnamed} (Zahra - jhasina)
{Unnamed) (Symari) [daughter]
{Unnamed} (Zahra - jhasina) [daughter]
{Unnamed} (Zahra - jhasina)
Raqiil (Symari) [daughter - married off to the Khomaya family]
Jafar (Leysaya - jhasina)
Saida (Oma - jhasina) [daughter - married off to the Synabbat family]
Aden (Symari)
{Unnamed} (Symari) [daughter]
Nur (Leysaya - jhasina)
{Unnamed} (Abiriel - jhasina) [daughter]
Faruk (Symari)
Oma (Symari) [daughter]
{Unnamed} (Abiriel - jhasina)
{Unnamed} (Abiriel - jhasina) [daughter]
{Unnamed} (Symari)
{Unnamed} (Abiriel - jhasina)
{Unnamed} (Nada - jhasina) [daughter]
{Unnamed} (Nada - jhasina)
{Unnamed} (Adiva - jhasina) [daughter]
{Unnamed} (Malira - jhasina)

I note that the numbers don't quite add up but these are Ralan's living children - it is likely that there are several deceased. You also have to understand that these were fragmentary, work in progress notes. Steve had a lot of those on his projects.

As for the extended family, no details on family connections.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  08:50:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

• Its late here so if I made a mistake forgive me, but it would seem that if its the same Catahra, that it would be his Daughter and sister-in-law, which would mean Nasim married his niece (no big deal in either the Realms or in 'Ye olden times').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2018 08:50:53
    Go to Top of Page

Demzer
    Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  13:13:26  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

• Its late here so if I made a mistake forgive me, but it would seem that if its the same Catahra, that it would be his Daughter and sister-in-law, which would mean Nasim married his niece (no big deal in either the Realms or in 'Ye olden times').

Going by the list George posted there are no Nureh or unnamed daughters of Catahra so it's probably a different Catahra.
    Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
    Acolyte

USA
    33 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2018 :  22:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    This info is superfluous to the EotSS project but indicative of Steven's skill, creativity and drive.

Ralan's children and their mothers in order are:

I note that the numbers don't quite add up but these are Ralan's living children - it is likely that there are several deceased. You also have to understand that these were fragmentary, work in progress notes. Steve had a lot of those on his projects.

As for the extended family, no details on family connections.

-- George Krashos

Once again, thank you so much for this! This is wonderful and better than I had hoped. It doesn't answer all of my questions, but it is a huge help. I'll post a link to the final family tree when I finish it, if you or anyone are curious how it comes out.
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000