Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadowdale's kangaroo court and the aftermath...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2024 :  10:03:22  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello.

Question: was there ever any follow-up to the speedy trial of Adon and Midnight, be it in other novels or even a game setting supplement? I imagine the townsfolk must have felt aghast when they learned that they almost killed the future god of magic.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2024 :  12:36:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was no follow up about that aspect of Shadowdale.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2024 :  19:17:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose everyone involved would occasionally find themselves butts of some unkind jokes.
Especially from the people who know about Finder. Once a fluke, twice a trend, you know?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2024 :  23:59:37  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was the fact that Midnight herself experienced apotheosis a kind of common knowledge?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2024 :  00:50:16  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's commonly known. Nearly all of Waterdeep saw and herd it happen. Most novels that mention the Time of Troubles show most characters know about it.

And Daleland kangaroo courts...fun to think about

Guess some would say "oh the Dalelands are normally a place of perfect justice" but...um..er..um...the Time of Troubles just made them 'kangaroo like".

OR

Daleland justice is kangaroo court insane. When a crime is committed, they round up the Usual Suspects...and find an Dale outsider "guilty until proven innocent" and do a speedy trial to imprison or kill them.

The Dark Side of the Dales :)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2024 :  15:15:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just think we need to come up with a different term than kangaroo court, since as far as I know, Toril has no kangaroos. Could be wrong... interested if someone can come up with an example.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2024 :  23:40:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Hello.

Question: was there ever any follow-up to the speedy trial of Adon and Midnight, be it in other novels or even a game setting supplement? I imagine the townsfolk must have felt aghast when they learned that they almost killed the future god of magic.

Those were some of the first Realms novels I read; I got them as they were coming out...

...That said, there's reasons I've not read them in 20 years or more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2024 :  00:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I just think we need to come up with a different term than kangaroo court, since as far as I know, Toril has no kangaroos. Could be wrong... interested if someone can come up with an example.

The existence of kangaroos on Toril is probable; we have an Australasian-analogue continent (even if to Ed's consternation) in the form of Osse, and we have both wombats and platypii confirmed to exist on a small island off the coast of Orlil, Lantan.

Furthermore, said wombats and platypii are intelligent creatures capable of speech and interaction with other sentients, leading to a potential conclusion that, since 100% of all marsupials on Toril encountered so far being sapient, intelligent beings (from one datapoint, though), it is possible that Torilian kangaroos are also sentient, and should be treated with care (given their non-sentient terrestrial analogues' capability to remove peoples' heads from their shoulders if not treated with care).

Edited by - Werthead on 28 Mar 2024 00:08:19
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2024 :  08:07:15  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

It's commonly known. Nearly all of Waterdeep saw and herd it happen. Most novels that mention the Time of Troubles show most characters know about it.

And Daleland kangaroo courts...fun to think about

Guess some would say "oh the Dalelands are normally a place of perfect justice" but...um..er..um...the Time of Troubles just made them 'kangaroo like".

OR

Daleland justice is kangaroo court insane. When a crime is committed, they round up the Usual Suspects...and find an Dale outsider "guilty until proven innocent" and do a speedy trial to imprison or kill them.

The Dark Side of the Dales :)

I've a sneaking suspicion that dissemination of this event would not positively contribute towards the growth of their tourism industry.

Seriously speaking, there are a few ways we can approach this faux pas to end all faux pas ->

* Just ignore it altogether. If anyone inquires, you've got an index finger for each ear and everyone knows at least one ditty ready to go at a moment's notice.
* Consider the hasty appeasement a moment of growth for Shadowdale (and Mourngrym, in particular). If no contradictory official material exists, then one theory is as good as another, yes?
* Accept this miscarriage of justice as-is. At the end of the day, The Forgotten Realms IS quasi-medieval fantasy. It is not outside the realm of possibility that there will be instances - even within the more civilized regions - where Tyr weeps profusely while spectating from above. Ah...an adventure seed is born: priests of The Maimed God make a pilgrimage in order to investigate how things went awry.

Personally, I think Elminster shouldn't have cautioned the group to stay away from the Dale for a few years; the mighty mage should have returned home, conjured a mystical megaphone and put on an impressive light show in order to deeply shame all parties involved until they swear to not enact retribution against those wronged by the mob. To fault someone for escaping a death sentence when they were innocent is insane.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

"Jarbo court", then? If not present in Anauroch, they are probably all over Zakhara.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Hello.

Those were some of the first Realms novels I read; I got them as they were coming out...

...That said, there's reasons I've not read them in 20 years or more.

1989 was a different zeitgeist, Wooly .

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2024 :  19:06:19  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

The existence of kangaroos on Toril is probable; we have an Australasian-analogue continent (even if to Ed's consternation) in the form of Osse, and we have both wombats and platypii confirmed to exist on a small island off the coast of Orlil, Lantan.

Nobody summarily exiles people there, however. Until then, there may be kangaroos (or whatever), but not kangaroo courts.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2024 :  06:54:02  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do priests of Mystra feel when they visit Shadowdale?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000