Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dalelands Adventure Modules Order/Campaign Ideas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Talanasus
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2024 :  14:54:40  Show Profile Send Talanasus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello! I am finally coming back to 2e after years of being a player and diving in as a DM this time.

All of my players(currently 5) will be brand new to 2e and to this region of Faerun, so I am trying to drum up ideas on adventure ideas and orders to run them in.

So far I plan on running Doom of Daggerdale into the Sword of the Dales Trilogy. However, after those 4 modules, where should I go next? If I wanted to eventually take the campaign past 10th level, what other adventure models should I look into and what order should I plan to run them?

I definitely do not want to railroad characters, but I would like to have adventures to pull from that are of appropriate level etc.

I am also not closed off to the Dalelands! I wouldn't mind having the characters move into the Moonsea and Phlan area.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by - Talanasus on 04 Feb 2024 14:55:59

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2024 :  12:50:47  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple of more adventures for your Dalelands campaign:
* The sword of the dales
* The secret of spidehaunt
Both of these are low lvl, but with some work, you`ll be able to upscale them =)

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2024 :  18:13:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowdale: Scourge of the Land is a 3.5e adventure I co-wrote.

It harkened back to adventures in the 2e FRCS (in the Shadowdale booklet), in the 1e adventure compendium REF5 - Lords of Darkness, and the 1e FRCS ("Into the Forgotten Realms / Hall of the Beast-Tamers").

We did NOT however, include Ed's Dungeon adventure, "Elminster's Back Door."

Roger Moore did a great introductory 3e adventure in Dungeon #101, IIRC, called Raiders of Galath's Roost.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

DewnMoutain
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2024 :  01:29:33  Show Profile Send DewnMoutain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanasus

Hello! I am finally coming back to 2e after years of being a player and diving in as a DM this time.

All of my players(currently 5) will be brand new to 2e and to this region of Faerun, so I am trying to drum up ideas on adventure ideas and orders to run them in.

So far I plan on running Doom of Daggerdale into the Sword of the Dales Trilogy. However, after those 4 modules, where should I go next? If I wanted to eventually take the campaign past 10th level, what other adventure models should I look into and what order should I plan to run them?

I definitely do not want to railroad characters, but I would like to have adventures to pull from that are of appropriate level etc.

I am also not closed off to the Dalelands! I wouldn't mind having the characters move into the Moonsea and Phlan area.

Any advice would be appreciated!

its an ongoing dream of mine to get into a 2e FR game as a player... Rather jealous of you and your group doing it!!!

Yes, i am a Blacksmith
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2024 :  13:21:56  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerdale is probably the "best" for published material. Shadowdale being second, with Mistledale being a distant third.

I recently finished a 7 yearlong 2E era/5E rules Daggerdale campaign. One of the assets I used was from a blog site called Wandering Dwarf which has a lot of useful Daggerdale information as well a lot of 2E to 5E conversion stuff for the four published adventures there.

https://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/daggerdale/daggerdale.php

I started them out not with Doom of Daggerdale The Sword of the Dales trilogy, but an old Dungeon magazine adventure called "Rudwilla's Stew" which I placed in one of the made up villages from the aforementioned Daggerdale Project (I used Nettle).

After that which gave the party some experience and a bump in level I basically ran Doom & Sword trilogy concurrently.

After these were finished, I added in the events from Curse of the Azure Bonds and the events surrounding the siege and collapse of Zhentil Keep as the higher level campaign stuff. Worked out pretty well. One thing I did do, was not have the PCs be the ones who were tattooed in Azure Bonds but just have them be working to thwart the villains and especially Tyranthraxus. I was a little concerned that the party wouldn't be too enticed to get involved, but they were.

I also used a later 4E Dungeon magazine adventure, Raider's of Galath's Roost, I had a shadowfell 'leak' from Gothyl's tower after the end of the Sword trilogy, as well as a good deal of political stuff.

I had one of the PC's be one of Lashan's bastards (he didn't know) as well as using pre-blackguard Scyulla Darkhope as part of the Zhentilar garrison in Daggerdale. I had also had her be a previous watch-captain of the Scardale occupation force which was where the group's Bard hailed. Another PC was a retired Purple Knight who had fought in the Horde Campaign, but was originally from Daggerdale, and had been working clandestinely in the area and lost all her character levels in some off-stage event that also wiped out the rest of her party (it isn't mechanically possible in 5E, but the player wanted to play a 40-year-old military veteran, but as a 1st level character. Ultimately, the player loved the idea, so everyone was happy.)

It was a lot of fun and took the characters all over the Dales (they became the Daggerdale representatives to the Dale's Council in 1369DR held in Archendale which created it's own political issues) as well as introducing a lot of the various factions. One plot I had was various groups supplying the Freedom Riders when they were the rebels and then some heel turns by previous friends as once the Zhent's were defeated and the external threat removed, the Daggerfolk began to fight among themselves, much of which was because the party failed to kill Colderon.

I had the Iron Throne involved with that as they sought to destabilize the dale as it hurt their rival Zhentarim in trade route access through the Thunder Gap (which the Iron Throne had recently been barred from using by the Cormyrians), smokepowder imports from Wildspace, covert Cormyrians trying to make Daggerdale a protectorate (which they ultimately succeded in doing, albiet via the marriage of Silver Morn to a Cormaeril (which was part of how Colderon was able to split allegiances of the Daggerfolk; great propaganda has a hint of truth).

It's probably the best sandbox region in the Realms. I just wish someone had developed a "Ruins of Tethyamar" boxed set along the way.

Also, there is the 3E City of the Spider Queen which would be another great wrap up for a Daggerdale campaign.

Edited by - nblanton on 26 Mar 2024 13:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2024 :  00:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Roger Moore did a great introductory 3e adventure in Dungeon #101, IIRC, called Raiders of Galath's Roost.

Raiders of Galath's Roost is from Dungeon #87 and is by Skip Williams.

I was thinking for running Shadowdale: Scourge of the Land with my new gaming group as well as Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave and Anauroch: The Empire of Shade. But after reading this scroll I might start with the Randal Morn trilogy.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 14 Apr 2024 00:59:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000