Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 adventure for otterfolk
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  02:04:41  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
I recently received some miniatures that are Otterfolk. These seem like good character minis or possibly antagonists for younger players who are just starting to play.

I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions of adventures that might suit the use of Otterfolk as mischievous pranksters, but not bad/evil, antagonists?

Thanks for the help.

Mod edit: Found this one floating in the ethers.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 May 2022 02:55:19

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  03:02:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Otterfolk I am assuming are basically anthropomorphic otters?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  03:26:48  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George,
Yeah, they are a 5e player race, but I was kind of seeing them as a fun "bad guy" substitute for a first level adventure for kids who are being introduced to fantasy RPGs like DnD.

The backstory, iirc, is that they were awakened by a wizard then owing to their improved intelligence they escaped. Once back in the wild the awakened otters mated with the non awakened otters and created what is now the Otterfolk race. There's a wiki about them.

I received two or three of the minis in a Reaper Miniatures kickstarter that I backed. I don't have a need for them so I thought someone else might, but I was hoping to bundle them with an appropriate adventure. Something like a two to four hour one-shot that is pretty light weight. Maybe some kind of mystery type of thing with the objective being to uncover the Otterfolk being the culprits at the end. That may be kind of lame... hopefully someone can suggest something good.

Anyway. I'm thinking I will paint the minis and donate the whole thing to a gaming fund raising event that raises money to buy gaming materials, like rule books and dice sets, then donates them to high school gaming clubs.
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2022 :  23:23:12  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Karsus,
Just wanted to say sorry, I got your username confused with George Krashos.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  00:08:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Otterfolk as mischievous could include water games of various types. Raiding fish traps appear a logical one. Moving channel markers to ground a boat or raft. On land there can be woodland tricks. As to an adventure, clearly there needs to be a region that the PCs enter. I would place them near a settlement of some kind, to have the fish traps and channel markers. The hamlet/town are having such problems however have not found the cause, the PCs are asked to solve the problem and remove the "evil" or "curse" that plagues them.

It might be easy to write up, in part of course the PCs would need to find the Otterfolk community. Not sure what region you want to set in, however with Otters I would expect near both water and forest area.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  08:52:45  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kentinal,
That's all exactly along the lines I had in mind. I was thinking about the small port town of Kythyss on the Moonshae isle of Alaron. I was chatting with Gary about it so it was already in my head. According to the little bit of lore that's out there, the communities of Kythyss and Llewellyn have a dispute over fishing rights in Lleweyn harbour. So there's already a little premade conflict to build on with a touch of misdirection that can be played with.

Getting even more specific, for a site location on the coast near the town... so I'm watching a tv show talking about the Alaskan dog sled race, the Iditarod, and they mention a section known as "The Blow Hole". Ok, that has to make kids giggle. It made me think of a geyser kind of like Old Faithful only rather than geothermic it might be tide related. At high tide water pressure builds in a sea cave and bursts up through an opening. The locals refer to it as The Blow Hole.

So, back to the Moonshaes... looking at the older Treasure Hunt adventures N4 and Moon 1-1 (not the Rising Shadows version) there's talk of an old ship loaded with treasure related to a local figure who settled the area driving out pirates... etc ect... the ways such tales go. So maybe The Blow Hole is a means of entering the sea caves where the old ship might be found... (You might be getting some familiar vibes of The Goonies about now.)

So, the Otterfolk, owing to their ability to hold their breath for long periods, are able to explore the caves and discover the old ship. As PCs this might be the advantage needed to solve a "ghost ship" style mystery. Or as the protagonists, the Otterfolk may be using the old ship, which is covered in a luminous algae that makes it appear otherworldly, to harass the fishermen and stir up tentions for their own amusement while also gaining more exclusive access to the fishing/feeding grounds. The PCs will have to figure out that it's the Otterfolk behind the whole thing and put a stop to it.

As a side note... Otterfolk are supposed to be naturally nomadic and don't settle in an area for long. So there's a bit of a built in "escape hatch" there if a conclusion is needed because the players aren't figuring it out. Again, remembering that this is being aimed at younger players.

So that was my kernal of an idea... I just need someone with the talent and willingness to write it out in an actual adventure form. I just have no facility with that... sadly. I would be happy for anyone who wrote it to keep the ip credits and rights to it. Any takers?

Kentinal, thanks for your ideas!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2022 :  18:22:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, where were they put out as a player race in 5e? One thing I had been discussing using for Anchorome was the idea of using giant beavers along with other giant creatures like giant moose, and at some point or another I had ventured into the idea of having these giant animals becoming awakened. I could very much see giant otters as well in Anchorome, and awakened versions would work well. Having a campaign where some giant otters and giant beavers are at odds with one another (not violently mind you... more the beavers are workers and the otters want to play), and both groups are awakened seems like an interesting story.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2022 :  18:52:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I found this link:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Otterfolk_(5e_Race)

also this

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/267692/Otterfolk

It would appear to be home brew rather than WotC source book, not sure what WotC calls DM Duild premitted projects.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2022 :  17:11:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that makes more sense. I was surprised when they released the rabbit folk (harengon), but didn't think they'd released any more. I like the idea of a campaign area in which there are a lot of these types of beings, and for Anchorome I had a lot of either tauric or humanoid-like beast folk. On "otterfolk" in particular, the original poster might be interested in reading up on the Othmir of Everquest 2. There might be some adventure ideas there, or even just imagery that you could use for a personal game (obviously can't use it for a product).

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Othmir

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 May 2022 17:16:04
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2022 :  06:10:51  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Otterfolk are homebrew... somehow I got that confused and thought it was official. Sorry about that.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2022 :  12:50:30  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good grief...

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000