Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Paladins Crisis (A Journey in Skyrim)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  23:36:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been playing a LOT of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and I've done a lot of lore reading and just getting into the story and playthrough and then it dawned on me how interesting it would be to write from the perspective of the main protagonist - BUT the big difference is that he's not actually from Tamriel. This would fall into line similar of Bram Stoker's Dracula or one I was doing for our campaign of my Purple Dragon Knight, following the adventures of this hapless victim of magic in the form of his journal entries. This chronicles the life of one Joryn Elthmead, a Chondathan from Elturel who's just been appointed a paladin rank of the first order to Torm, the True.

Well anyways, I have just a bit written so let me know how you like it!

11 Mirtul, 1492 DR Year of Three Ships Sailing

It's with mixed feelings that I journal this eve. The ending of a week long patrol through the Trielta hills is a welcome relief, though I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed. The lack of activity during this patrol has saddened me. Some of the older officers welcomed the 'easy' route, but that's not WHY we're here. We're here to dispense Torms righteous justice, not direct wayward commoners with directions and fix broken wagon wheels.

Though it's never bad to offer aid, I guess I just expected more. We press towards Elturel on the morrow, but I suspect we'll investigate some supposed Zhent activity we received reports on in the Reaching Woods before returning home. Selūnes tears brighten the sky, I must take my rest - I have watch in four hours.

- Faithblade, Joryan Elthmead.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  23:42:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
12 Mirtul, 1492 DR Year of Three Ships Sailing

Those rumors were apparently true! Caught a group of disgusting Zhent slavers moving through the woods heading north, my guess towards Darkhold. They had six people tied up, which we liberated, from some of the surrounding farmsteads and a couple from Scornubel.

The Zhents thankfully offered resistance and three were dispatched before the others surrendered. Torms might is true! Thankfully none of my brothers were seriously injured in the skirmish. We head home to put these criminals on trial and see justice prevail...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  23:46:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
13...14? Mirtul, 1492 DR Year of Three Ships Sailing

Its gone.....just gone. I can't believe it! Oh Torm, have you forsaken us?? Gods...what am I to do? I...I don't know.

LATER

Oh, I only have so much time. We headed to Elturel. It was right there! The Companion, its light turned black and then the city was gone! The blast must've knocked us down and started pulling us in. That Zhent, that thrice-damned wizard! He got free....tried some spell to get away. I hit him, I know I did! We fell....by the Triad's Light where am I? I write only to keep what sanity I have. Its dark, the forests are different. This isn't home.

Torm protect me.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  01:15:24  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
17 Mirtul, 1492 DR

Three days or so since the incident. I've been traversing the mountain trails here. I dont know where I am, but this isn't Toril. Gone are the tears of Selūne. Two moons are all I see. A see a small settlement far in the distance, another days walk or so. No sign of the Zhent I knocked down...through?..that portal he made. Where are we? The cave I found is adequate enough and the wood burns well. I dare not eat any plants i find, less I get sick. My bag, all my belongings were on my horse, all gone.

I have but my armor and sword, yet Torm will see me triumph.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  04:12:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirtul, 1492 DR.

This is some horrible dream. It must be or i am in the hands of some twisted torturers. I must gather my wits. I escaped, I had to. Im a fugitive. I..I must put ink to pen as it is available to me.

I have lost all track of days. My wondering trek came to an abrupt halt as I was ambushed by some sort of regimen of troops. They wore armor of a particular cut and style I've not seen anywhere on the Sword Coast or Western Heartlands. They spoke no language I knew, not even the Common tongue. Their blades out, the intent was surrender or die. I chose to the former.

I was bound and put into a cart with several other bound men, some of which shared a particular tabard color that convinced me they were comrades of a sort. They tried to talk to me, to no avail or relief. The barrier of language truly is an insurmountable obstacle.

We headed towards the town I saw from the mountain pass. This was a garrison of some sort, held by the soldiers that captured me. They bear some sort of dragon insignia, but they were not Purple Dragons, nor of Cormyr. We were dropped off in a yard, the soldier's had a list and put the other's in a line.

They spoke, but all i could discern was that they wanted my name. "Joryn Elthmead" i said proudly. If I'm to be imprisoned or executed, they would at least know WHO they're going to handle. One of the soldiers looks sad, like he was sorry this was happening. We were led around the courtyard tower to a chopping block. Execution it is.

One of the other bound men ran, he was shouting before the soldiers shot him dead as he tried to escape. Another of the blue tabard soldiers pushed forward to the block, shouting defiantly. He died a quick death. My turn...i have to stop.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  18:32:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirtul, 1492 DR.

Its been a week. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Im certainly NOT on Toril anymore. Whatever that Zhent did, he broke a barrier. Im sure of it. If he's here, he might be the only one who can get us home.

Oh yes, so back to my execution. I was on the chopping block, looking down at the severed head of the previous warrior, a Nord, or so they're called. Before the headsman could strike, an honest to Gods dragon appeared and attacked the garrison. At first, I thought this was the Avatar of Torm to come protect me! To my dismay, the Dragon was just hungry.

In the chaos, we ran. We made our way through the town as it crumbled around us. The men in blue, the Nords, aided me and set me free of my bonds. I wasnt able to grab much other than my bag - including this journal - and my dagger. The soldiers followed and we fought many of them, I must have killed a few or severely wounded them. The dragons attack was relentless.

We made our way through some lower tunnel system and back out into the wider countryside. The Nord who helped me, Raolf, said something but seeing my confusion just waived me to follow. The way down the mountain was easy enough and we eventually came to a small village. Raolf spoke to a woman who seems very nice and has given me a place to stay for the time being. I write now in the attic of her home.

I do any odd jobs she or her husband - Hod- points out to me and has been kind to help me learn their language. Her name is Gerdur.

I hope their hospitality lasts.

Edited by - Diffan on 04 May 2022 18:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  21:37:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evening, Kythorn..at least I think..1492 DR

I know not why I continue to use the Torilian calendar? Maybe it's habit. Maybe a hope that I'll one day have need of it again? But as each sun sets, I'm slowly realizing that my chances of getting home dwindle like the fast fading rays of this world's spring sun.

The work here is brutal and tedious. Yet, there's a simple pleasure to be found in hard laborious work. Gerdur runs the lumber mill in town, a place I've come to learn is called Riverwood. She's teaching me more and more every day about her people - the Nords - and their language called....Tamric..Tameric...Tameleric...something like that.

I help Gerdur load the lumber, cut it, and stack it. She does more of the sophisticated tasks and does the orders. Everything has been happening so fast that at times I forget that only a short time ago I was enjoying an ale back at the Black Antlers after our shift on guard duty.

Those days, those memories...they feel like they're slipping away.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2022 :  03:27:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nine-Bells after Midsun, Middle of Kythorn, 1492 DR.

Another few weeks down and I think I have an understanding of their Tamrielic language. I've asked Gerdur for some books, the kind kids receive and she was able to get a few from the Trader's shop. Work at the mill with Gerdur and her husband is good, but I long for a sword in my hand. When I'm not studying or working, I try to keep up my blade forms but I only have this short Imperial - yes, thats what the soldiers are called - sword to use.

I gather from Gerdur and Hod, as well with others in town, that they don't much like the Imperials and favor those who call themselves the...well its spells literally "weather coat" or maybe storm coat? Regardless, my gut tells me that these Imperials are a problem, but are they my problem? Torm will guide me....if Torms power even reaches here.

My faith is wavering...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2022 :  09:13:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Middas, evening, 8th of Sun's Height (i believe that is how it's states here, and thusly how I shall use it)

This world, this place called Skyrim, is certainly an unpredictable one. Just yesterday I saw a group of hunters and traders come through town. One of them was a Drow! I had nearly went for my sword when a confused look crossed Hod's face:
"Whats the matter outlander? You dont have Dunmer from where you're from? "
"Dunmer? We call them Drow or Dark Elves and of course we do," I said, "they're just merciless killers who worship a demon spider goddess where I'm from."
"Ha, that is hilarious," Hod laughed, "Joryan, your stories of this Fey-rune are truly entertaining."
"Indeed," I replied, "I should write a book."
Hod laughed again and went back to trading with the travelers.

Later that evening we were enjoying a well earned bottle of chilled mead at the Sleeping Giant when Lucian Valerious burst in. He owns the trader shop in town and his place had been robbed. I knew it had to have been the Drow, they're horrible no matter what world they infect. He took stock of the items taken and it was just one: a golden claw family heirloom.

The townsfolk guess some bandits from an encampment nearby might have taken it. Lucan is besides himself and his sister - Camilla I think her name is - certainly isnt making it easier. With no one jumping up to dole out justice, I volunteered my services as a one-time paladin of Torm, the true. They neither had any clue of what a paladin is, let alone who Torm was.

Time to see if I still hold Torms favor or if it can even be carried here. Light, guide my path.

Edited by - Diffan on 05 May 2022 09:13:44
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2022 :  13:45:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turdas, high-sun, 9th of Sun's Height

The mornings walk as I left Riverwood felt good. To be adventuring again, to feel the sun on my face and the possibility of danger around the bend in the road has filled me with wonder and excitement. From my work in the mill and my selling of...eh..."borrowed" Imperial equipment to Alvor -the blacksmith- I was able to buy some iron armor, a bow, and a greatsword.

The day has been uneventful thus far, the animals are particularly active at this time. The amount of elks I've seen is tremendous. I write as I sit upon a rock near as I can tell from the entrance to this tomb, a barrow as they say. May Torms might fill me with strength and let me emerge victorious. Should this be my last entry, know that I fight for honor and righteousness, in Torms name.

- Faithblade, Joryn Elthmead
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  02:37:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turdas, almost midnight, 9th of Sun's Height.

I'm exhausted. I barely made it back to Riverwood. I got a cot at the Sleeping Giant as I didnt want to disturb Gerdur or Hod at this late hour. What did I witness? What was that word? I know it now like I know my name. It's burned in me, like a hot brand for cattle. Is this what Torm has planned for me? Is Torm even here? I can barely keep my eyes open, I'll write mor........
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  13:16:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LATER

Fredas, late morning, 10th of Sun's Height

I must have dozed off. Gurder said my heroics earned me a day off, for which im eternally grateful. With so many weeks of confusion, labor, and now fighting my body feels as though I have sprinted from Waterdeep to Neverwinter and back at one go.

Last night.... I cant explain, but I will do my very best to sort the confusion. I entered the Barrow, and immediately found bandits. A few at first. I took the outside guards down with the bow. It appears lessens with Faendal - the elf in Riverwood- certainly helped. Inside, more bandits were seated around a fire squabbling. More arrows and death, before hand-to-hand combat. They're strong but horribly disciplined.

Entering the lower parts, I encountered their undead. Vile things that are not easily turned or put down. Torms righteous power seems diminished, for I am unable to smite these horrors as I once did. I found a book detailing the words and gestures to evoke fire, or is it Flames? I shall read as much as I can later but will take some time, reading their language is so much more difficult than speaking the common phrases.

These undead carry weapons, old but serviceable ones, which I grabbed for later use. One such blade was equivalent to a longsword - something I'm comfortable wielding, so it's good to have a backup.

Then, in the depth of some cave, I fought the biggest spider I have ever seen! It was massive and it spit too! Luckily I had a few potions that Lucian gave me to aid my quest, one of which nullified the creature’s venom. While I fought the enormous beast, there the Drow was, all wrapped up in the spider's web like an afternoon snack. How ironic.

To be continued....
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2022 :  15:50:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Story continued...

The Drow..or Dunmer as they call them here..kept complaining while I fought on. Finally, with a two-handed blow, I slew the giant spider! All the Dr...Dunmer did was complain how long it was taking me.
"Hurry up and cut me loose!", the dark elf said.
"Hand me the claw first," I replied. "and maybe I'll help you."
"I cant exactly hand it to you with me all tied up! Help me down and you'll have it!" he said.

With some deft cuts he was free....and instantly tried to escape! Typical. I tracked him down and he insisted on fighting. Well for one, on Faerūn the drow are rightly feared as dangerous murderers but this Dunmer, he fell quickly enough to my righteous hand. With the claw in my grasp, i pressed on through the catacombs.

Noon approaches, I must get some food and sun. I'll journal more later.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  09:11:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fredas, late, 10th of Sun's Height

A day of merriment and joy! Was well appreciated, to say the least. My handling of their language still needs a lot of work but I'm getting better at it...slowly as that might be.

Ah yes, the catacombs. After acquiring the claw,I was tempted to go back but my curiosity got the best of me. I pressed on. There was a long corridor with an odd door at the end. The door was some sort of puzzel. Using the claw, there were markings on it that matched those on the door, if put into the correct place. A few turns and prayers later, I was in.

More undead, move spiders. You'd think the hills would've been overrun by now with these things! Still, I managed to get to this big cavern. A semicircular wall with strange writing on it was center of the room, and I felt this irrefutable pull to stand before it. Doing so released some sort of magic, for it swirled around me like some aegis of power and burned a word in my mind. Fus. Dont know what it means, but it sounds....powerful.

Not a moment after this event did a very powerful undead emerge from the Crypt behind me. We fought and for a moment I had the upper hand. Then he....it....shouted! Force rolled forth and nearly knocked me down. Only wih Torm's might did I hold my ground. A quick and powerful strike from my high guard brought the horror down. His weapon, an old but glowing greatsword seemed an appropriate prize. A chest nearby held quite the hall, gold and some old bottles of what appears to be potions. Also, theres this stone with old writing on it. Looks valuable.

By the time I emerged, it was nightfall. I ran as fast as I could to town because succumbing to exhaustion. Speaking of, the candle burns low so I must retire.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  18:50:09  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying the journal. At least our esteemed paladin did not get swept into Avernus. It'll be interesting to see if he regains his paladin powers, if they return but are modified, or if he gains brand new powers.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2022 :  23:58:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

I am enjoying the journal. At least our esteemed paladin did not get swept into Avernus. It'll be interesting to see if he regains his paladin powers, if they return but are modified, or if he gains brand new powers.

Thank you! Well it's more or less following my current playthrough. I use Xbox One, so I was able to add some mods to my game that aren't in the original, including the Brenton Paladin armor and quest. So we'll see how he takes to doing quests such as cleansing the temple of Meridia and becoming her champion (gaining Dawnbreaker in the process). Also I'm excited to start writing about his involvement with aiding and becoming a ...."full" member of the Companions in Whiterun. I'll do more writing tomorrow morning at work.

This has been a fun exercise so far and I'm glad you like it!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2022 :  01:50:15  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno man, I don't see any of the Daedric Princes bar maybe Azura sponsoring paladins. The thing about Meridia is that she loathes the undead because they're anathema to her sphere, and that she's every bit as cruel as Bal - free will is something she wipes out in her own servants. She's not a shining champion of goodness and light; ESO reveals that she's actually despised in Cyrodiil for her sponsorship of the Ayleids.

I also hope that if you ever do Dawnguard, you'll remember that Serana is an active worshiper of Molag Bal who praises you if you have his Mace.

My other concerns are mostly lore-based, given that Skyrim's dragons, and the dragonborn, are subgradients of the Time Dragon Oversoul.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2022 :  10:13:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I dunno man, I don't see any of the Daedric Princes bar maybe Azura sponsoring paladins. The thing about Meridia is that she loathes the undead because they're anathema to her sphere, and that she's every bit as cruel as Bal - free will is something she wipes out in her own servants. She's not a shining champion of goodness and light; ESO reveals that she's actually despised in Cyrodiil for her sponsorship of the Ayleids.

Very true, and an apt reason why this is called A Paladins Crisis, lol. HE doesn't know any of that, for while he isn't stupid - he is easily swayed by imagery and a yearning for something bigger than himself. When presented with Meridia's Becaon, he'll find it as a sign to have a direct influence in the world - all the better that it's all about destroying vile undead and laying low Necromancers. These concepts are easy for him to grasp in this new world, having similar elements from Torm on Faerūn.

It won't be until later that he'll realize that he'd be championing a Daedric Price that harbors a hatred for Free Will and a habit of collecting live human specimens to satiate her greed. So with that information, he'll be lost and definitely confused.

quote:

I also hope that if you ever do Dawnguard, you'll remember that Serana is an active worshiper of Molag Bal who praises you if you have his Mace.

I haven't gotten to that point yet in the game. Though Molag Bal also is one bad dude.

quote:

My other concerns are mostly lore-based, given that Skyrim's dragons, and the dragonborn, are subgradients of the Time Dragon Oversoul.

I see what you're saying: How could a guy from another sphere/realm be a the Last Dragonborn - a literal piece of Akatosh? Maybe there's something similar to the Black Books which lead you to Apocrypha (the Daedric Realm of one Hermaeus Mora) but lead to other places? Maybe it's possible one of the previous Dragonborn escaped Tamriel using this book to another Realm - like Abeir-Toril (or maybe to Abeir, with the plethora of Dragons) and then was phased during the Spellplague as parts of Abeir switched with that of Toril (an interesting twist).

Getting back to the deity part, most likely he realizes that following Meridia is not in his best interests - having a desire to keep his free will and all - and possibly start following Stendaar (which fits the Paladin theme better IMO).
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  04:49:13  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironically, Stendarr himself is a bit of an ass, given that curse he placed on the bloodline of that one guy in Knights of the Nine. The Cyrod Akatosh may not be a paladin sponsor either; the likeliest sponsor for a paladin among the Time Dragon Oversoul is the Auri-el aspect, whose only issue was being justifiably enraged over Lorkhan's deception (which fits in with the original Meric view of Lorkhan being roughly analogous to Satan).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000