Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mulhorandi wizard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2022 :  18:32:25  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am thinking on making an adventure involving the exploring the tomb of a Mulhorandi wizard expert in Golem magic. Do you have any advices/suggestions of how to make such tower/wizard different not only because of what he studies but also for coming from the old Mulhorandi empire? I read some sources but it's mostly focused on the religion part,there isn't much about wizardry. Thanks in advance.

Mod edit: Moving to a more appropriate section.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Apr 2022 22:28:06

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2022 :  20:01:36  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This should be in the "Running the Realms" forum. A Mod will be along in a bit and move it, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2022 :  22:32:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say to go with constructs whenever possible -- maybe even some doors and traps could be animated.

Not really up on my Mulhorandi lore, but I'd suggest the dude's magic would focus on heat and fire, sand and stone. Maybe tweak some existing spells, so instead of a fireball, it's a ball of superheated sand -- does the same damage on the initial round, but lingering damage for a couple rounds after, because that sand gets everywhere.

Sand and heat would also suggest glass, so there's another thing you can play with -- maybe an attack or spell that hurls shards of glass. They'd hit like daggers and create rough terrain afterward.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2022 :  22:59:25  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to roll with Wooly's suggestion about constructs in general, maybe the wizard has old notes about Raumathauri constructs. These notes may even be in the old language with some (partially complete? partially accurate?) Mulhorandi translations. Or even more scandalously, the notes are in Roushoum.
Whether or not the wizard in the campaign is present or is even alive, you may want to reflect on an arcane spellcaster's conflicted feelings about being in a theocracy such as Mulhorand. Maybe the golems, items or the dwelling itself impede/resist divine spells or supernatural abilities of divine spellcasters.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2022 :  00:48:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

I am thinking on making an adventure involving the exploring the tomb of a Mulhorandi wizard expert in Golem magic. Do you have any advices/suggestions of how to make such tower/wizard different not only because of what he studies but also for coming from the old Mulhorandi empire? I read some sources but it's mostly focused on the religion part,there isn't much about wizardry. Thanks in advance.

Mod edit: Moving to a more appropriate section.

Have it powered by a stone of everburning and utilize steam energy to power it. Maybe have it have some ability to vent hot steam as a cloud attack. Perhaps it even is in the form of a draconic shaped golem. Meanwhile, inside of the golem is a small version of a decanter of endless water that continually pours water upon the stone. To note, the Mulhorandi wizards of old were known as Mulhorandi Artificers. Also, to note, the Raumathari got much of their magical knowledge from the Mulhorandi during the orcgate wars.

From Old Empires
Stone of Everburning: This stone is unremarkable, except that it radiates searing heat at all times. If a stone of everburning contacts exposed flesh, it inflicts 1d3 points of damage for each round of contact. The stone#146;s most remarkable property is its longevity; some have stayed hot over 3,000 years, even when continuously immersed in
water. These items are used in the steam engines of Mulhorand.
XP Value: 500

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 26 Apr 2022 00:49:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2022 :  01:17:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Maybe the golems, items or the dwelling itself impede/resist divine spells or supernatural abilities of divine spellcasters.

I like this one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000