Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dark Souls-esque locales in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  05:05:55  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, fellow fans.

Would any of you happen to be aware of ruins in The Forgotten Realms that match the tone of the Dark Souls series of video games? Essentially, I am looking for Brobdingnagian quasi-gothic structures primarily erected above ground that happen to be isolated away from major population centers; intelligent NPCs - if any - should be few and far between. Touches of advanced technology (e.g., a fittingly massive semi-anachronistic elevator) are welcome, but not a necessity.

Below are some screenshots and/or artwork that are representative of what I am visualizing. There may be slight spoilers ahead.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  05:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Netherese ruins and remnants of the Spell Plague seems like the classic idea. The thing was that "Dungeons" were initially very Dark Souls esque. You were meant to go to places abandoned by the gods and man full of horrifying monsters and creatures.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  07:53:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of those links are broken for me.

But the ones which do work for me look much like I imagine any dark and dismal ruined place in the Realms.

The "ruins" of Zhentil Keep. The "unoccupied" areas of Darkhold. Half the structures in the Stonelands. The "abandoned" Sorceror's Pyramid upriver of Phlan. The seedier outskirts of Westgate. Anything half a day's ride from Mulmaster, Hillsfar, Tantras, or Calaunt. Not to mention basically all of Thay.

The mountains inland of Luskan and Mirabar are described as having a lot of black granite and bloody red stone, often veined with rusted iron or other metals. A ruined settlement, outpost, gatehouse, or wizard's tower made of this stuff would easily match the look you're going for. It might look especially dismal and uninviting when covered by the frost, snow, fogs, and mists common to the area.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  12:19:05  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sites of derelict ruins are aplenty.

Examples are the Raurin deserts (with ancient ilythiiri, imaskari and jhaamdathi ruins), the Anauroch (ruins of pre-skyclave Netherese citystates, southern Ostarian seats of power), partially submerged sunken lands under the shallow waters of the Sea of Fallen Stars (again with loads of ancient giant, jhaamdathi, elven and sea elven structures).

The Bloodstone lands used to be battlegrounds for the Narfellian and Raumatharian armies until the Great Conflagration in -160 DR (i.e. the scorching destruction brought by an avatar of Kossuth). I always imagined Narfellian architecture to be of this dark gothic style, i.e. sites such as Dun-Tharos are drenched in fiendish flavor with abyssal and infernal iconography on most surfaces. A netherese skyclave also crashlanded in the plains of Narfell forming a mountain called Hark's Finger.

Forlorn undead infested areas can be found in Mulhorands Land of the Dead in the mountains near Mishtan; in Thaymount (escpecially the farmed lands); the Haunted Lands of northern Zahkhara; and around the Battle of Bones such as the Hill of Lost Souls or Graycloak Hills.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  15:38:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The area once known as Tilverton, now the Tilverton Scar and Tilver's Gap certainly give off a New Londo vibe when reading descriptions of that place.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  19:14:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first thought was of Shoonach the ruined capital of the Shoon Imperium.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  19:17:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget Unther and Mulhorand.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  23:03:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Shoonach is one of the best massive ruins that could fit this.

The nice thing about Faerun is that it is FULL of fallen realms.

If you can find the map to ruined Shoonach, you are in business. It is one of my all time favorites.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2022 :  01:12:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite maps.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2022 :  02:31:44  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll respond in full later, but for now...

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Shoonach is one of the best massive ruins that could fit this.

The nice thing about Faerun is that it is FULL of fallen realms.

If you can find the map to ruined Shoonach, you are in business. It is one of my all time favorites.

I recently purchased the Lands of Intrigue box set (still New, though the factory seal is torn in places). I get THAT ?!

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2022 :  02:28:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.

Shoonach is a MAJOR adventure point that I used in my long running campaign. It is far and away my favorite ruined city map.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2022 :  06:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If going back to Myth Drannor, the ruins of Thultanthar might be filled with monsters or escaped lab experiments by now.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2022 :  07:40:07  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I think Netherese ruins and remnants of the Spell Plague seems like the classic idea. The thing was that "Dungeons" were initially very Dark Souls esque. You were meant to go to places abandoned by the gods and man full of horrifying monsters and creatures.

Are you aware of any noteworthy buildings in said ruins that happen to fit the bill? The memory of Netheril absolutely appears to be expansive.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Most of those links are broken for me.

Truly? Which specific hyperlinks? I searched for those images just before I created this thread and they still function on this end.

quote:

But the ones which do work for me look much like I imagine any dark and dismal ruined place in the Realms.

The "ruins" of Zhentil Keep.

I went ahead and purchased this box set. The fortified nature of Zhentil Keep holds great appeal for this geek; however...it seems to be short on towering structures.

quote:

The "unoccupied" areas of Darkhold.

Do the following two pictures represent Darkhold in its entirety or do they only showcase the front entrance?

Anyhow, the construction looks typically medieval to this layman; if there are any Gothic influences, I've missed them. Nevertheless, I went ahead and purchased the Castles box set because Darkhold is a deliciously evil abode; someone somewhere owes you a commission!

quote:

Half the structures in the Stonelands.

I bought Elminster's Ecologies, so that aforementioned location is still somewhat fresh in my mind. I'll take a look at these Stonelands.

quote:

The "abandoned" Sorceror's Pyramid upriver of Phlan.

Is this a CRPG-only location? Regardless, it seems interesting enough to warrant an exception.

quote:

The seedier outskirts of Westgate.

Westgate is still inhabited though, yes?

quote:

Anything half a day's ride from Mulmaster, Hillsfar, Tantras, or Calaunt.

Half a day's ride from any significant population center is too close; if I had to put a number on it, I'd say...a week's travel at least. Of course, if one elects to excise Mulmaster, Hallsfar, Tantras and Calaunt, then this is less of an issue. The thing about the settings of the Souls games is that they are distinctly remote.

quote:

Not to mention basically all of Thay.

Is Thay destroyed/abandoned as of 5e ? As far as I am aware, it has more-or-less always been populated.

quote:

The mountains inland of Luskan and Mirabar are described as having a lot of black granite and bloody red stone, often veined with rusted iron or other metals. A ruined settlement, outpost, gatehouse, or wizard's tower made of this stuff would easily match the look you're going for. It might look especially dismal and uninviting when covered by the frost, snow, fogs, and mists common to the area.

Ah, so there is nothing established, but it provides a suitable aesthetic template for any DIY project. Gotcha.

quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Sites of derelict ruins are aplenty.

Examples are the Raurin deserts (with ancient ilythiiri, imaskari and jhaamdathi ruins)

Within Raurin, there are - apparently - a few city ruins full of potential. It appears as though the Desert of Desolation module is helpful in fleshing out the area.

quote:

the Anauroch (ruins of pre-skyclave Netherese citystates, southern Ostarian seats of power)

I am eager for edifices ; do you have german examples in mind?

quote:

partially submerged sunken lands under the shallow waters of the Sea of Fallen Stars (again with loads of ancient giant, jhaamdathi, elven and sea elven structures).

Massive semi-aquatic and fully aquatic ruins, eh? It turns out I may have to pick up Sea of Fallen Stars after all.

quote:

The Bloodstone lands used to be battlegrounds for the Narfellian and Raumatharian armies until the Great Conflagration in -160 DR (i.e. the scorching destruction brought by an avatar of Kossuth). I always imagined Narfellian architecture to be of this dark gothic style, i.e. sites such as Dun-Tharos are drenched in fiendish flavor with abyssal and infernal iconography on most surfaces. A netherese skyclave also crashlanded in the plains of Narfell forming a mountain called Hark's Finger.

The source I consulted (okay, the Wikipedia website I consulted ) seems to be short on any pertinent information. Might there be at least one supplement you can recommend? As always: the more, the merrier!

quote:

Forlorn undead infested areas can be found in Mulhorands Land of the Dead in the mountains near Mishtan

...and there's an immeasurable trove to go with the ghouls and ghosts, too.

quote:

in Thaymount (especially the farmed lands)

"The Citadel" and its accompanying "Paths of the Doomed" are in Spellbound. Nice!

quote:

the Haunted Lands of northern Zahkhara

Speaking of which...I need to brush up on my Al-Qadim.

quote:

and around the Battle of Bones such as the Hill of Lost Souls or Graycloak Hills.

I also purchased the Elminster's Ecologies Appendices (in addition to the original Elminster's Ecologies), so it will only be a matter of time before I examine those regions for adventure potential.

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

The area once known as Tilverton, now the Tilverton Scar and Tilver's Gap certainly give off a New Londo vibe when reading descriptions of that place.

Did you hit up the Forgotten Realms Wikipedia or is there a supplement in particular that is worth reading?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Yes.

Shoonach is a MAJOR adventure point that I used in my long running campaign. It is far and away my favorite ruined city map.

After taking a closer look at the map (which is still damn impressive), I see that this region is possessed of amazing breadth, but it doesn't boast cloudcutting buildings. Are there any landmarks of note mentioned in writing?

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

If going back to Myth Drannor, the ruins of Thultanthar might be filled with monsters or escaped lab experiments by now.

In general, I fancy Myth Drannor; unfortunately, the city is too short by comparison .

Edited by - Azar on 08 Apr 2022 14:38:51
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2022 :  13:47:42  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always recommend 2nd editions Cloak and Dagger and Lands of Intrigue, and third editions Lords of Darkness and Power of Faerun to add some shade to the realms. I also highly recommend third editions the Unapprouchable East and Lost Empires of Faerun for the added texture for your locales.

For those Anor Londo types of castles you might find in places such as the Bloodstone lands one can look at the many adventure maps published over the years such as the Castle Perilous one in Throne of the Bloodstone. I have homebrewed most of the Raumathori and Narfellian ruined Bastions in my adventures, filling them with fiendish traps, demoncysts, wild magic zones and horrible demonic automata.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2022 :  21:32:59  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladewind made mention of undead-infested areas; an abundance of lost/damned souls is absolutely representative of what you'll encounter in From Software's games. I thought of other characteristics appropriate for a Souls-themed region.

* Great tragedies befell the local rulers; well-intentioned people ended up as monsters or as the harbingers of destruction for their nation.
* An entrapping quality. Once you enter, it is nigh-impossible to leave until you've solved the mystery...completed the quest.
* Partially or fully, the environment itself is mired in time (e.g., perpetual autumn or eternal twilight).

quote:

I always recommend 2nd editions Cloak and Dagger and Lands of Intrigue, and third editions Lords of Darkness and Power of Faerun to add some shade to the realms. I also highly recommend third editions the Unapprouchable East and Lost Empires of Faerun for the added texture for your locales.

Thank you for the supplement recommendations. Barring Unapproachable East, I believe I own copies of all those books and the box set (though I very well may have it somewhere and simply have forgotten).

quote:

For those Anor Londo types of castles you might find in places such as the Bloodstone lands one can look at the many adventure maps published over the years such as the Castle Perilous one in Throne of the Bloodstone. I have homebrewed most of the Raumathori and Narfellian ruined Bastions in my adventures, filling them with fiendish traps, demoncysts, wild magic zones and horrible demonic automata.

quote:
Originally published: 1988
Authors: Michael Dobson, Douglas Niles
Preceded by: The Bloodstone Wars
Code: H4
Campaign setting: Forgotten Realms
Character levels: 18 - 100

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2022 :  00:33:04  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayrik, did you see my response to your post? I felt bad because I (unknowingly) failed to provide enough examples that would lead to more refined suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2022 :  02:11:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Azar, yes ... but you did ask too many questions for me to answer.

Darkhold is a large fortified complex, above and below ground. So I think your pictures would only represent one of many entrances.

The Pool of Radiance CRPG inspired FRC1: Ruins of Adventure (and several subsequent Realms products) which described "Sorcerer's Island" in fair detail, though without any artwork of similar quality.

Westgate, the northern Moonsea region, and the Dragon Reach region are all inhabited. By many races, including many "isolated" humanoids. With many ruins, outposts, scattered settlements, seasonal settlements, semi-nomadic tribes/etc which aren't found on any map. Ruins - particularly those manufactured by Jotun races - can be a fine source of impressive monuments.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  03:31:00  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Azar, yes ... but you did ask too many questions for me to answer.

Darkhold is a large fortified complex, above and below ground. So I think your pictures would only represent one of many entrances.

The Pool of Radiance CRPG inspired FRC1: Ruins of Adventure (and several subsequent Realms products) which described "Sorcerer's Island" in fair detail, though without any artwork of similar quality.

Westgate, the northern Moonsea region, and the Dragon Reach region are all inhabited. By many races, including many "isolated" humanoids. With many ruins, outposts, scattered settlements, seasonal settlements, semi-nomadic tribes/etc which aren't found on any map. Ruins - particularly those manufactured by Jotun races - can be a fine source of impressive monuments.

Cheers for the follow-up responses . By the way, which hyperlinks in particular were (still are?) busted?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000