Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Is there a substitute for Flail Snail Shell?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  02:16:06  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How long do you simmer your cures for? Do your antidotes contain Unicorn horn? What does troll liver add to a regeneration salve? Why shouldn't I buy Tarasque pituitary gland at the market?

Is there a monster part magical use list somewhere?

"When you understand the impossible, it changes to improbable and that means there's a chance!"

~Baroth Quagmire, built an orphanage, grew a castle in his friends home, the home did not survive the birth. Died three times and fought his way out of hell. Only player I've ever seen roll three 1% in a row.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  02:45:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no combined list that I'm aware of, and for the most part, the idea of monster bits having a use once removed from the monster isn't a thing, anymore. 3E went back to the "monsters are bundles of XP and GP that only exist to be destroyed" approach for monsters; we barely got a description of the monster, and everything else was combat stats.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  03:14:55  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone knows something they've heard or read. Hopefully all those tidbits can end up in a pile for future me to sort.

If people know that Dark Naga Venom makes you forget that rain makes you wet, then by equal rights, they should also know that a salve with high concentration of shaved Unicorn horn can fix a pierced throat. We need some traditional ecological knowledge up in here.

"When you understand the impossible, it changes to improbable and that means there's a chance!"

~Baroth Quagmire, built an orphanage, grew a castle in his friends home, the home did not survive the birth. Died three times and fought his way out of hell. Only player I've ever seen roll three 1% in a row.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  13:51:44  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a quick search of most 2E monster entries (I know I don't have them all but I do have probably 99% of them) and got a return of 119 pages. Is there a specific magic item you are looking for information about? That would allow me to refine the quick search.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  15:56:39  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to find time related components. I'm not even sure how to find time creatures. I'd need something earthen and primal. Probably nothing on the prime for that. The element needs to be absolutely pristine. Similarly, I need amethyst, however nothing on the prime will work due to impurities and neither can it come from a dragon. I need to figure out something that can be used as an additive to increase magic absorption. I had thought Illithid mucus may work but found out that it has magic nullification properties. Not what I wanted.

What objects can hold the most stable magic? Is there anything shape related that benefits one form over another?

Edited by - EricMinde on 24 Mar 2022 15:57:15
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  17:02:52  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some of the results I alluded to above. It would take some work to assemble all this and this knowledge would be scattered among the various sages of the Realms with there MAYBE being a single tome at Candlekeep with all this information (a VERY valuable book, indeed).

The dream essences of the bastellus, while hard to obtain, are of almost incalculable value to necromancers and illusionists in the crafting of magical items. It is said that an illusionist who uses even the tiniest fraction of such a creature's substance as a material component in the creation of an illusion will find that the images they create are drastically more vivid than they might otherwise be making it almost impossible for victims to convince themselves that they are not real.

The essence of these creatures, if captured in some way, can be a powerful magical component. It is rumored that many cursed magical weapons are forged in fires fanned by the breath of a bussengeist and that their power are harnessed in the creation of drums of panic or a harp of discord.

Sentinel bats are normal creatures who have been empowered by the Mists of Ravenloft. Like their mundane kin, they have an acute natural sonar, keen eyesight, and subsist on a diet of insects and such. The body of a sentinel bat has been used with great success in the creation of devices and potions intended to convey power over the undead.

Although it is not a commonly used component, a lock of booka hair, freely given by the booka, has been known to be employed in the creation of magical inks for scrolls that deal with invisibility or the detection thereof.

The feathers of a buraq's tail are valuable in the creation of scrolls, especially scrolls of protection and clerical scrolls dealing with curative and protective magics. A buraq may occasionally visit a renowned or particularly pious congregation of the faithful or the hovel of a mystic and leave a single feather behind as a sign of the gods favor. Combined with inks made from precious stones and gold dust, this feather may be used to inscribe either a single scroll of protection or a scroll of up to 14 spell levels in any combination (two 7th-level spells, two 5th-level and one 4th-level, and so on).

Caterwauls have no natural enemy, including man. They hunt only for food, and fight to defend their territory. The claws of a caterwaul may be used in the creation of a sword of sharpness. Its fur is prized for its unusual color, but must be carefully treated to remove the caterwaul's scent.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  17:14:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EricMinde

I need to find time related components. I'm not even sure how to find time creatures. I'd need something earthen and primal. Probably nothing on the prime for that. The element needs to be absolutely pristine. Similarly, I need amethyst, however nothing on the prime will work due to impurities and neither can it come from a dragon. I need to figure out something that can be used as an additive to increase magic absorption. I had thought Illithid mucus may work but found out that it has magic nullification properties. Not what I wanted.

What objects can hold the most stable magic? Is there anything shape related that benefits one form over another?

Time Dimensionals seem to be the only ones I could find that are related to time. Perhaps their aid would be needed to craft something:

"There are three different varieties of time dimensionals: the common, the noble, and the royal. Often misnamed as time elementals, time dimensionals are intelligences composed entirely from the essence of time. They are one of the few temporal creatures that can travel to reality. There, each appears as a cloud of fire, dust, or vapor. On the Demiplane of Time, each manifests as a translucent sphere of light silver energy. They pose one of the greatest hazards to travelers of the Demiplane of Time due to their incredible abilities.

Time dimensionals seldom appear in reality, as the forward motion of time makes them uncomfortable. They much prefer to roam about the neutral territory of the Demiplane of Time."

For absolutely pure amethyst, I would say you need to go to the plane of earth.

Something that absorbs magic, I would suggest a disenchanter trunk. Since they eat magic via their trunk, it would have to be able to absorb it.

There are various materials and gems that hold magic. I would suggest looking in Volo's All Things Magical. Perhaps one of the minerals listed there with the Focus Stone spell and you would have something that is very stable with regards to holding magic.

Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  19:43:49  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You want me to trust Volo?!?

He'll probably tell me I specifically need a dragons tongue because one sassed him at some point. Let's avoid that spinners tales unless someone else has mentioned his works too.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  19:49:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would broaden the search a bit. Maybe a creature with an innate haste or slow ability...

It really depends on what you're doing with time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2022 :  20:59:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Widening for haste, gives the following candidates:

"Temporal dogs are a highly evolved form of blink dogs that make their home on the Demiplane of Time. It is impossible to tell whether the temporal abilities of these dogs are a difference engineered or bred by some ancient chronomancer or if the progression from blink dogs to temporal dogs was a case of natural evolution, but these canines do have a pleasant attitude toward wizards for some unknown reason."

And

"A dimensional warper has a snake-like body and stands on two long, thin legs. Its long, thin, flexible arms each end in one hooklike claw. There is a sturdy, wing-like membrane that stretches between the arms and legs ending at the claws and feet respectively. These “wings” are not used for flight. The warper’s head is bald and earless. It has large, round eyes with cat-like pupils. The creature stands about 6 feet tall and has a wing span of about 5 feet. It is covered in a thick, leathery hide and has a long lizardlike tail. The dimensional warper has never been encountered on the Prime Material Plane. (Please note this is contradicted by the next paragraph)

Occasionally, for reasons of their own, dimensional warpers have communicated with humans and demihumans. These adventurers have reported that the warpers come to the Prime Material Plane to learn about the creatures native to the plane. However, only those warpers who are old and wise can visit this plane. If a dimensional warper is encountered, there is an 85% chance that it is a scholar; otherwise it is a master. A master is identified by the ring of symbols tattooed around its head and down its back which are a sign of its rank."

As a side note, given the dimensional warper's appearance and drive for knowledge, could they be servants of the Spell Weavers or their enemies?

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 24 Mar 2022 21:00:31
Go to Top of Page

AlexMcClay2000
Acolyte

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2022 :  08:28:27  Show Profile Send AlexMcClay2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I'm a bit late, but I found this extensive list of Monster parts and their uses. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PVdZArczvbIsG4HBfkU5dw_oIYgc2xuU/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106041055375151214335&rtpof=true&sd=true

I've also been working on my own list when I have the time, it's not as extensive but I think it's more organized.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gud012ng2rwVy9lZA_lLa-caH8t7Lsq8/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106041055375151214335&rtpof=true&sd=true

Alex McClay
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2022 :  08:51:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexMcClay2000

Not sure if I'm a bit late, but I found this extensive list of Monster parts and their uses. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PVdZArczvbIsG4HBfkU5dw_oIYgc2xuU/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106041055375151214335&rtpof=true&sd=true

I've also been working on my own list when I have the time, it's not as extensive but I think it's more organized.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gud012ng2rwVy9lZA_lLa-caH8t7Lsq8/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106041055375151214335&rtpof=true&sd=true

Most all of Ed's Ecology and monster articles in Dragon provide information regarding uses of the dead creatures.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AlexMcClay2000
Acolyte

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2022 :  11:29:15  Show Profile Send AlexMcClay2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by AlexMcClay2000

Most all of Ed's Ecology and monster articles in Dragon provide information regarding uses of the dead creatures.

-- George Krashos

Im well aware of the Ecology series in Dragon (Probably my fav series in Dragon), its on my todo list. I'm just really busy doing other stuff like finishing my degree and making a AD&D web-app.

I plan to go through all the Monstrous Compendium stuff first, and when I'm done with those I'll do the Ecology series.

Cheers!

Alex McClay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000