Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Inquiry: Synonym for Longsword
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2022 :  14:21:41  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Scribes,
I solicit feedback for the name of an exotic longsword with a (3.x ed) critical threat range of 18-20 rather than 19-20. At first, I thought of falcata, but Pathfinder 1e already lists a falcata as having a critical multiplier of X3 rather than X2.
Any suggestions?

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2022 :  15:30:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Federschwert? A longsword, usually wielded two-handed, that tapers to an extremely fine point instead of a broader blade.

I'm only 3 weeks into my HEMA Intro to the Longsword class but that's what we've been using (well, practice ones anyways).
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2022 :  18:15:33  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Federschwert intrigues me. Maybe I will craft a Faerunian history where they were first crafted in the northern Moonsea area. The Melvaunt foundries come to mind. Perhaps the first reliable historical documentation comes from the late 12th century DR.

Anybody else have ideas?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2022 :  19:56:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of the wild. Elven thinblade

Sword, Elven Thinblade: This rapierlike exotic weapon is the size of a longsword but much lighter. Like the lightblade, it is favored by dexterous elf fighters and rogues.
A character can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier to attack rolls with an elven thinblade.
Characters proficient with the elven thinblade may treat it as a rapier or a longsword for the purpose of any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization.

It's 1d8 damage with an 18-20 threat range. Now, that being said, elves probably have a special name for it besides "thinblade".... kerym means blade... nyrhlas means whip or lash... so maybe nyrhlaskerym meaning whip blade.... or some other term meaning thin combined with kerym.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2022 :  22:35:35  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will go with the name "kriegsmesser" and use elven thinblade for base mechanics, subject to the following modifications:
Damage will be slashing type
Weight and hp will be the same as longsword for purposes of damage and sundering
Federschwert will not be finessable
(open for debate) Weapon-specific feats chosen for the federschwert will apply to the longsword and scimitar. The reverse is NOT applicable.

EDIT: I did some extra Google-fu and stumbled across "kriegsmesser" along with some images.

Edited by - Delnyn on 22 Mar 2022 22:51:33
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2022 :  01:24:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn’t use an obvious German name. Give it a Realms name - a merleth, a santro, a polnodor, etc. - and a history/content for where it’s from in the Realms and how the type of blade came to be.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2022 :  08:54:54  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I wouldn’t use an obvious German name. Give it a Realms name - a merleth, a santro, a polnodor, etc. - and a history/content for where it’s from in the Realms and how the type of blade came to be.

— George Krashos

This is definitely a workable alternative. I still want to show a player a Web image of a kriegsmesser what a merleth, santro or polonodor looks like. Well, scribes, I'm off to the Melvauntian foundries to narrate its history.
Thanks to all.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2022 :  16:53:11  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palandro
Exotic One-Handed Melee Weapon (Medium)
Cost: 100 gp
Weight: 5 lbs
Damage: 1d8 Slashing
Critical: 18-20/X2

Special: The wielder must be 1. proficient in both longsword and scimitar and 2. have unenhanced Strength and Dexterity scores at least 11 before taking Exotic Weapon proficiency in the palandro.

Special: Having weapon-specific feats (e.g., Weapon Focus, Improved Critical) in the palandro also applies to the longsword or scimitar. The converse never applies.

Special: Any martial adept discipline that includes the longsword or scimitar as a member weapon (Desert Wind, Iron Heart or White Raven) may also include the palandro.

The palandro is a slightly curved blade roughly 4 ft. in length that looks like a cross between a longsword and scimitar. In the northern Moonsea area, the natives refer to the palandro by its Dethek name "santro".

Melvauntian nobles with a martial bent may carry masterwork versions with the family crest decorating the hilt and the wielder's name or blade's special name engraved in Dethek letters along the blade. Non-magical versions typically cost between 600 and 800 gp. These noble blades go by the Dethek term "melreth" and are easily associated with their owners at a glance.

Lord of the Keys Helmuth Bruil has mandated a Kill On Sight order against any unauthorized possessor of a melruth, unless the melruth belongs to the Bruil family. In that situation, the miscreant is brought before the Lord of Keys for ritual execution by blood eagle. Then the corpse is animated as a permanently indentured zombie.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2022 :  15:03:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Palandro
Exotic One-Handed Melee Weapon (Medium)

I like it! Especially the part that feats like Weapon Focus, etc can apply to this as well as the Longsword and Scimitar because it's a crossbreed of the two. Also, I like that it can have applications to the Tome of Battle. Nice touch
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2022 :  01:18:23  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, if you travel through Cormanthor and see a Tel-Quessir sporting a lasz'kerymos Mathora, they are most assuredly not for sale. You will recognize these swords with a more curved hilt, a kiir-studded hand guard (looks like three or four), two more tipping the quillons and a larger one in the pommel. The bladed sports white glowing Espruar letters. Its convex edge glows a similar shimmering white.

Adventurers, do you feel really, really lucky today? To my players who are reading this, I offer the following spoiler: The ruins of Myth Drannor will be safer.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000