Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Undead Slayers campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2022 :  19:09:45  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My group and I are getting ready for a new campaign. It might last a while or could end as a glorious TPK - we're not really sure.

The theme is a group of like-minded individuals taking on (intelligent) undead wherever they find them.

Using 2e rules (and Realms) set in 1370, Sword Coast north.

Starting levels:
single class 7th (8th thief or bard)
multi-class 6th/6th
triple class 5th/5th/5th

Paladin - Ghosthunter kit (Complete book of Paladins)
Ranger - Cryptranger kit (Dragon #234)
Cleric of Kelemvor - Necrobane kit (Warriors and Priests of the Realms)
Necromancer - Deathslayer kit (Complete book of Necromancers)
Elf - Undead Slayer kit (Complete book of Elves)
Halfling Specialty priest of Urogalan (Demihuman Deities)
Specialty priest of Kelemvor (Faiths and Avatars)
Specialty priest of Lathander (Faiths and Avatars)

These are the most obvious choices, although we can't have a Necrobane and Deathslayer in the same party.
Character creation is starting this weekend - I'll post the results.

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2022 :  21:50:00  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about good undead like archliches? Are they targets as well or are you going to use them to present the group a moral dilemma?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2022 :  15:05:49  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several of the kits/priesthoods state that they either hunt all undead including good or neutral intelligent undead, or that they leave them alone but cannot befriend or ally with them. I'm comfortable with a group like this being a little conflicted if they meet a good-aligned undead.

Shottglazz

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2022 :  15:53:31  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple ideas I have used that might be useful for your campaign:

1. A caster (in my case, it was an illusionist) is faking the haunting of an area by undead so they can use it for their own purpose.
2. A group operating in a city was basically eliminated by a rival. Two of the leaders, because of the means of their deaths, came back as ghosts. They now advise the leadership of the successor group while also generally protecting the members of the successor group. The group is good aligned and helpful to the city they are in so if someone were to go after the ghosts, they may encounter pushback from not only the group they are protecting but also the city's forces (city leaders may have knowledge of the ghosts but not the rank and file).

Edit: I would also highly recommend the 2e Van Richten undead books. It was very useful to create some unique ghosts for number 2 above.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 14 Jan 2022 16:00:03
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  21:25:28  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

A couple ideas I have used that might be useful for your campaign:
Edit: I would also highly recommend the 2e Van Richten undead books. It was very useful to create some unique ghosts for number 2 above.

Way ahead of ye on this one. I have all the Van Richten's and plan on using them. I'm hoping to lure the group to Ascore and involve the Created dead...

Shottglazz

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000