Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Best Waterdeep and Savage Frontier sourcebooks?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reshaim_78
Acolyte

Italy
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2021 :  01:57:51  Show Profile Send Reshaim_78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Lately, i'm planning to come back to the realms and run a campaign set in the Savage Frontier, eventually reaching Waterdeep.
I own all the campaign setting, except the 4e one, and both FR5 and Tbe Silver Marches sourcebook, but i still feel that i miss something and besides, the 3rd edition sourcebooks, although packed with info, seems to me they miss to fully evoke the "magic" of the previous ones.
Also, i'm not so fond of the 3e timeline. (actually, after finally obtaining a copy of the Old Grey Box, i'm not fond of the Time of Troubles either...).
So, what do you think the best sourcebooks would be?
I'm intrigued by the North: a guide to the savage frontier but for the Waterdeep one i'm totally lost.
Thanks! :)

Edited by - Reshaim_78 on 05 Nov 2021 01:58:51

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2021 :  08:50:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get the 2nd Edition books. There really is nothing that compares to them.

The North was the box set that had detailed the Savage Frontier (the earlier source of the same name had pretty much the same info, just less fleshed out).

City Of Splendors was the last Waterdeep box. Similarly, it covers most of what the older sources had and then adds more.

Then you have the Volo's Guides: Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to the North. These give a bunch of flavor you can add. Very helpful from a DM perspective.

I would personally also get the first Undermountain box set. That will put you on very firm ground.
Go to Top of Page

Reshaim_78
Acolyte

Italy
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2021 :  19:27:19  Show Profile Send Reshaim_78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, i'll get those sourcebooks then :)

Edited by - Reshaim_78 on 05 Nov 2021 19:27:54
Go to Top of Page

Fayne
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2021 :  16:47:44  Show Profile Send Fayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the Volo's guides are available on DM's Guild/Drive-Thru in both PDF and POD, except for Volo's Guide to the North. Any idea why this one is not available?
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2021 :  03:07:55  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm generally not a fan of 3E either, but I like the Silver Marches book. It feels like an earnest attempt to recapture the flavor of the early Realms, and mostly succeeds. That said, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier is still the best sourcebook for that particular region.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  20:14:13  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Track down the Web Enhancements for the 3.5E City of Splendors, great stuff all in one place about the environs. I also am a huge fan of the 3.5E City of Splendors. It approaches Waterdeep from more a player interaction perspective without trodding on Volo's Guide.
Go to Top of Page

Thuumhammer
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  23:05:33  Show Profile Send Thuumhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Track down the Web Enhancements for the 3.5E City of Splendors, great stuff all in one place about the environs. I also am a huge fan of the 3.5E City of Splendors. It approaches Waterdeep from more a player interaction perspective without trodding on Volo's Guide.

Is there a secure way to find the web enhancements? Whenever I've looked for them in the past I've just been directed to the deleted WoTC pages. A couple of random archives pop up on Google, but I'm too much of a chicken to visit random sites lol.

Currently living in a version of 1372DR that operates under 5e mechanics. Strange indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  23:06:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thuumhammer

quote:

Is there a secure way to find the web enhancements? Whenever I've looked for them in the past I've just been directed to the deleted WoTC pages. A couple of random archives pop up on Google, but I'm too much of a chicken to visit random sites lol.

If you can get the URL of the original site, use the Internet Archive to pull up a cached copy of the page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thuumhammer
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  23:35:06  Show Profile Send Thuumhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

If you can get the URL of the original site, use the Internet Archive to pull up a cached copy of the page.

Today I learned how to use the Internet Archive. Thanks Wooly, this is awesome.

Currently living in a version of 1372DR that operates under 5e mechanics. Strange indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2022 :  14:10:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Today I learned how to use the Internet Archive. Thanks Wooly, this is awesome.

Glad to assist!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rubymartin
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2022 :  18:00:27  Show Profile Send Rubymartin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I have something to look for, I always look through the archive first. There are many sourcebooks there.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2022 :  23:04:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just used the Wayback machine to plunder the last of the WotC site broken link downloads that had eluded me - including the Circle of Velahhr. So yes, very useful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2022 :  23:21:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I need a sourcebook, I just write one. Very, very slowly. (ROFL)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 22 Apr 2022 23:29:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000