Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fish Wheels and similar technologies in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2024 :  00:13:49  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be very careful about introducing new technology to The Realms. "Quasi-Medieval" is my preferred level of advancement.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2024 :  14:06:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

I would be very careful about introducing new technology to The Realms. "Quasi-Medieval" is my preferred level of advancement.

Do you mean things like basic hydraulic gear (piston and screw pumps, ball valves and batchers), pneumatic guns, wire-saws, prosthetics with swappable attachments including hands as agile as the original?
Or water pumping and filtration system on the scale of a river?
Because those would not be new.
That's not even starting on arcanotech fun, like building steam engines around decanter of endless steam or stone of everburning, or all those Netherese contraptions like magical freezers and ovens.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2024 :  23:05:46  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Oh. In this random supplement, there a passing reference to unusual technology; introduce it if you so desire." and "The Realms are now Eberron." are two distinct approaches.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2024 :  09:21:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

"Oh. In this random supplement, there a passing reference to unusual technology; introduce it if you so desire." and "The Realms are now Eberron." are two distinct approaches.

Yes. Especially when both random supplements (FR11 Dwarves Deep and FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark) are by Ed Greenwood.
Of course, it's "technology" for those who do it repeatedly, rather than have to reinvent bicycles every time. But it's there.
Also, take a look at the list of goods mail-ordered from Aurora (incomplete, RH has better, but behind the weird script thingy).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 30 Apr 2024 14:20:52
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2024 :  15:20:47  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of the nigh-infinite amount of "The Realms were always like this." disputes where a handful of outlier examples were gathered and fashioned into a rather thin image stretched across the entire setting in order to justify a supposed omnipresence of X. The same deal goes for "Guns are common in The Realms" and yet all the supplements across the decades and their attendant artwork indicate otherwise. Castles and outhouses persist despite the repeated suggestion that modernized fortifications/constructions are widespread and the protestations that indoor plumbing isn't a rarity.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2024 :  20:46:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As TBeholder references, there's numerous references to these technologies across various supplements, and Ed did help introduce many. I can agree that its also a balancing point between going over the edge. That's kind of why I introduced this topic the way I did... such that I can see fish wheels, water mills running some basic repetitive gear, etc...

At the same time, we're literally on a precipice with portions of Toril returning from Abeir. Abeir is a world with different magic and more technology. I think it a disservice to believe that the world wouldn't be changed by their return, and I would be there's something of an industrial revolution in the making in areas that might border the returning places (on a much smaller scale mind you.. and possibly vehemently opposed by some spellcasters)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2024 :  20:46:17  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's fair.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000