Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Best Realms Product Ever: The City of Ravens Bluff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  14:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a poster map in the 3E FRCS. It was a 2 page by 4 page fold out so no assembly required. It was interestingly glued in such that it did not need to be removed to be unfolded and used. There are two more nice maps in that FRCS, a 2 page spread of Trade Routes and Resources that I often feel people overlook and a one page Regions map that sometimes is referenced as a Political map.

If I remember right there were some complaints on the scale of 3E maps? But recently remember comparing a couple of distance between maps of different editions and things weren't horribly off. The art style was very lovely and very easily read.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  14:53:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

There was a poster map in the 3E FRCS. It was a 2 page by 4 page fold out so no assembly required. It was interestingly glued in such that it did not need to be removed to be unfolded and used. There are two more nice maps in that FRCS, a 2 page spread of Trade Routes and Resources that I often feel people overlook and a one page Regions map that sometimes is referenced as a Political map.

If I remember right there were some complaints on the scale of 3E maps? But recently remember comparing a couple of distance between maps of different editions and things weren't horribly off. The art style was very lovely and very easily read.

Pretty sure the complaints were on the 4E maps, because someone at WotC decided there was too much open space on the maps and that it needed to be trimmed out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  16:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Eric,

Just curious on that one statement regarding boxed sets. Was TSR losing a lot of money with making everything in boxes? I had never really thought about that and always assumed I guess that going with a soft cover on the interior stuff made up for the cost of a box. Was I wrong or am I misunderstanding (because lord knows I do that a lot)? I did notice the shift from boxed sets with TSR to hardbacks with WotC, but I just thought it was the change of company and never put a lot of thought to it.

I'll answer for Eric on this one.

Boxed sets seemed to be the best bang for one's buck back in the day. As for how much I managed to squeeze into the City of Splendors box, I and my group leader Jeff Grubb sat down with the finance VP and horse traded preplanned components by cost and got as much in there as possible while still meeting what the money guys said was the maximum production cost at that time.

BTW we did this with Ruins of Undermountain as well, which is why it has those odd-sized cardsheets et al. We had the costs via the Spelljammer components at that time and just moved bits around until we got as much as we could while keeping the suits happy.

None of this could be done now due to changes in production and shipping, but in the early 90s I did what I could to get as much out to FR fans as possible.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  18:25:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The trade map was a very cool inclusion. I feel like if I ran a Forgotten Realms game nowadays, it would definitely have a mercantile bend to it and would make use of that.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2021 :  22:44:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Eric,

Just curious on that one statement regarding boxed sets. Was TSR losing a lot of money with making everything in boxes? I had never really thought about that and always assumed I guess that going with a soft cover on the interior stuff made up for the cost of a box. Was I wrong or am I misunderstanding (because lord knows I do that a lot)? I did notice the shift from boxed sets with TSR to hardbacks with WotC, but I just thought it was the change of company and never put a lot of thought to it.

Boxed sets seemed to be the best bang for one's buck back in the day. As for how much I managed to squeeze into the City of Splendors box, I and my group leader Jeff Grubb sat down with the finance VP and horse traded preplanned components by cost and got as much in there as possible while still meeting what the money guys said was the maximum production cost at that time.

BTW we did this with Ruins of Undermountain as well, which is why it has those odd-sized cardsheets et al. We had the costs via the Spelljammer components at that time and just moved bits around until we got as much as we could while keeping the suits happy.

None of this could be done now due to changes in production and shipping, but in the early 90s I did what I could to get as much out to FR fans as possible.

Steven

I always wished they would bring those little cards back... The traps and doors and things added little tidbits of interest otherwise absent. Good work :)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2021 :  15:26:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Eric,

Steven

Intereswting to know. Thank you. I always thought it was really cool all the little extra in like the horde boxed set, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2021 :  08:35:20  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello George Krashos!

I do not want to distact from the good conversation in this thread by answering your question about my opinion of CoS:W here. CoS:W is a bit far from talking about the "City of Ravens Bluff" and really needs it's own thread.

You can find that here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24145
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2021 :  04:36:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to let you know I got the book. I'm going to start it this weekend. I don't know if I will be playing in Ravens Bluff proper (though, 4e has some LFR adventures set there that are regarded as good), but if the book is as good as you said, I would mine it for ideas for my home campaign.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2021 :  04:17:40  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Just to let you know I got the book. I'm going to start it this weekend. I don't know if I will be playing in Ravens Bluff proper (though, 4e has some LFR adventures set there that are regarded as good), but if the book is as good as you said, I would mine it for ideas for my home campaign.

That is super awesome! I really hope you enjoy it and for it to be as useful for you as it was for me! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000