Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Site Preservation and Succession
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tyriel
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  18:51:31  Show Profile Send tyriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been a great admirer of Candlekeep for many years. I would love to make sure this content lives on forever.

Is there a way to help assist with backups or things of that nature? Is there already a succession plan in place should the current administrators become unable to continue the good works here? I would hate for the forums to ever go offline for good as we have seen with many rpg forums in recent years.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  21:43:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep has gone offline before, for days at a time. Because, apparently, Alaundo has absent-mindedly forgotten to attend some minor technical detail or administrative chore.

Alaundo doesn't (to my knowledge) solicit donations to assist with operating costs. Nor do the search engines link Candlekeep content on any backup/mirror sites.

There is always the risk of site shutdown or takedown, content might be censored or removed to comply with Wizbro legal directives. Candlekeep does enjoy some sort of tacit agreement or special status with Wizbro so I doubt the content is going to suddenly vanish anytime soon. But, yes, it's just impossible to hold promises for the future when you find yourself on the wrong side of a one-sided relationship with an entity as kneejerky, volatile, and aggressively territorial as Wizbro - who knows what sort of heavyhanded blunders they might impose in coming years.

The contributions of Recognized Big Names on these forums - Ed, Krashos, Elaine, many other published D&D authors and designers - are also "properties" with "ownership" and "copyright" in the strictly legal sense. These writers may have their own thoughts about how and where their work can be distributed online or archived offline. They may not care but then again they may have very strong opinions about how their works are "distributed" and "controlled".
I don't know what sort of arrangements they (each) might have with Alaundo, but it seems like there's an implied understanding about Candlekeep's function which sort of imposes an obligation and responsibility onto Alaundo - he is some sort of librarian and curator, not some sort of publicist or agent.

Changing any actual status of Candlekeep might also change the legal status of Candlekeep. So I suspect that (aside from the eventual arrival of the legendary "Candlekeep 2.0" facelift we've been awaiting for decades, lol) there won't be any functional differences in Candlekeep's existence. The site is basically archived and controlled by Alaundo, it's not spread over external resources beyond his control ... and it might be "impossible" to change.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2021 :  10:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Fear not, tyriel. As regards to content, the site is fully backed up on a regular basis (not that this is entirely necessary, as content submissions to the site itself are rare compared to a number of years ago when regular updates contained several new articles etc.). The forum content is backed up throughout the year and full backups further performed at Year End.

Thanks for the additional post, Ayrik. To further expand, Candlekeep always seeks permission from any authors of articles and makes it clear that ownership remains the author's property. Candlekeep hosts the material, but does not wholly own it. Credits are given to the authors and the author has a right to request it to be removed if they wish; this has happened only a couple of times in all the years Candlekeep has been running, due to the work going into official publication (for example, Brian R. James' Grand History).

Again, back in the glory days, Candlekeep was recognised by Wizards of the Coast, and i had regular contact with a number of staff commending the site and giving support. In the days when fan sites were hit, Candlekeep was given reprise and permitted to remain. Of course, times and organisations change and situations can be reviewed at any time so nothing is taken for granted.

As to donations, due to a change in circumstances and the obvious annual rise in costs, we will be seeking donations for assist with site operational fees. One day, I do hope that Candlekeep 2.0 will see the light of day; time and cost being the factors.

To your first statement, Ayrik, this wasn't anything absent-minded on my part, but due to issues with the web host. In earlier days, I had full access and control to Candlekeep's servers. Since moving to an external web host, we are at the mercy of upgrades, server patches, migrations etc, and as such, have a lag in resolving with support (which is no easy task when their initial response is denial of responsibility!).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2021 :  12:29:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you need financial assistance Alaundo, let me know.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2021 :  12:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If you need financial assistance Alaundo, let me know.

-- George Krashos

Well met, George.

Many thanks, that's very kind of you to offer and very heart-warming

On the aforementioned, the donate facility will be reappearing on the site in the near future, in time for renewals at year end.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2021 :  14:41:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what George said. I have a few contacts in Iriaebor. Just off the top of my head, I am sure that a "gift" from Miblinar or Tazzon the Blue can be easily arranged (they shouldn't have been doing what they were doing and they certainly do not want The Shield to learn about it).

Edit: I, uh, had to fix something.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 09 Aug 2021 14:43:20
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2021 :  15:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Yeah, what George said. I have a few contacts in Iriaebor. Just off the top of my head, I am sure that a "gift" from Miblinar or Tazzon the Blue can be easily arranged (they shouldn't have been doing what they were doing and they certainly do not want The Shield to learn about it).

Edit: I, uh, had to fix something.

Many thanks, TheIriaban. Very much appreciated.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2022 :  06:47:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Alaundo,

I was checking in to see if that donation option was made available again, and if so would you please point me to it? I'd very much like to contribute to keeping Candlekeep going!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2022 :  08:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, cpthero2

Thank ye for thy kind offerings. The donation function will be made available shortly. In the meantime, feel free to contact me via email.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly