Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has anyone been keeping up with Pathfinder 2e?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2021 :  01:51:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

I've really been enjoying the system. The gameplay feels and flows much more like a Realms novel that I have fallen in love with the system. It's been really nice to run too because there isn't as much of a burden on the DM to brew up an answer on the spot. I'm currently playing an Elven Bladesinger of the Leopard School (Wizard with some melee archetypes, but will transfer/retrain to Magus w/ archetype wizard when it comes out) and it already feels like your traditional Elven Bladesinger. It's amazing. I personally love the system.

They described some of the changes between playtest and final release Magi in a recent stream, and it sounds killer! Confirmed that the ranged class option works with firearms, and revealed the others (one-handed melee with a teleport, two handed melee, staff, and sword-and-board).

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2021 :  02:58:29  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Omens: The Mwangi Expanse is out to subscribers, and from what my friend is sneaking me from zer copy it seems to be AMAZING! 300 pages of really brilliant, considered African-inspired fantasy, with beautiful artwork throughout. Friendly gnolls! Adorable jumping spider-folk! An undead child-mummy-demigod running an oppressive theocratic state! Post-colonial nationbuilding!

I’m really blown away!

Edited by - keftiu on 23 Jun 2021 03:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2021 :  03:34:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Lost Omens: The Mwangi Expanse is out to subscribers, and from what my friend is sneaking me from zer copy it seems to be AMAZING! 300 pages of really brilliant, considered African-inspired fantasy, with beautiful artwork throughout. Friendly gnolls! Adorable jumping spider-folk! An undead child-mummy-demigod running an oppressive theocratic state! Post-colonial nationbuilding!

I’m really blown away #128522;

I need to go download my copy...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2021 :  04:59:10  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got my hands on it and I’m really, really blown away. The three elf nations are all incredible, and I say that as someone who doesn’t like elves!

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  09:40:58  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I’m really blown away!

This book is now out for sale to everyone: https://paizo.com/products/btq027ot?Pathfinder-Lost-Omens-The-Mwangi-Expanse

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  13:05:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I’m really blown away!

This book is now out for sale to everyone: https://paizo.com/products/btq027ot?Pathfinder-Lost-Omens-The-Mwangi-Expanse

I'm curious, did they just release it for sale to everyone? The reason why I'm curious is that Kobold Press just sent out its surveys for sending out its new southlands 5th edition kickstarter. I'd be intrigued to look at both of these (time permitting... which I probably don't have) to see just how different they are.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  15:53:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

I’m really blown away!

I'm curious, did they just release it for sale to everyone? The reason why I'm curious is that Kobold Press just sent out its surveys for sending out its new southlands 5th edition kickstarter. I'd be intrigued to look at both of these (time permitting... which I probably don't have) to see just how different they are.

I've read the earlier Mwangi Expanse stuff... It differs from KP's Southlands in that the Mwangi Expanse is heavily focused on an Africa-esque jungle, whilst the Southlands is a fantasy version of the entire African continent -- jungles, plains, deserts, Egyptian-esque Nuria Natal, the whole shebang.

Looking forward to the City of Cats book, myself -- I love Per-Bastet.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  17:51:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m really blown away!

I've read the earlier Mwangi Expanse stuff... It differs from KP's Southlands in that the Mwangi Expanse is heavily focused on an Africa-esque jungle, whilst the Southlands is a fantasy version of the entire African continent -- jungles, plains, deserts, Egyptian-esque Nuria Natal, the whole shebang.

Looking forward to the City of Cats book, myself -- I love Per-Bastet.

Gotcha. Although I've only thrown out ideas for a while, I was wanting to look at ideas people have used on a range of "Africa like" environments for Katashaka. If Mwangi is mostly just jungle, it could be useful though, but the price tag is a little rich for something I probably wouldn't use I guess. Wonder if I can find some of the older mwangi stuff to read (maybe they have something out for free).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  20:49:32  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mwangi Expanse book is out for dale to everyone, yes. Clicking the link would show you that :p

I do want to say that this book differs pretty wildly from the earlier material on the Mwangi; 1e centered a colonial viewpoint and leaned hard on some gross “Darkest Africa” pulp inspirations, while the new book has a native perspective, a diverse writing team, and is infinitely more interesting, IMO. Highlights include adorable jumping spider-folk, playable gnolls, demon-hunting orcs who revere a jaguar goddess, nomadic diplomat dwarves who live in harmony with cloud dragons, a city-state rules by a child-mummy-sun god autocrat, and a portal to the setting’s equivalent of Mars!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  21:28:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mwangi Expanse book is out for dale to everyone, yes. Clicking the link would show you that :p

I do want to say that this book differs pretty wildly from the earlier material on the Mwangi; 1e centered a colonial viewpoint and leaned hard on some gross “Darkest Africa” pulp inspirations, while the new book has a native perspective, a diverse writing team, and is infinitely more interesting, IMO. Highlights include adorable jumping spider-folk, playable gnolls, demon-hunting orcs who revere a jaguar goddess, nomadic diplomat dwarves who live in harmony with cloud dragons, a city-state rules by a child-mummy-sun god autocrat, and a portal to the setting’s equivalent of Mars!

I'm not against "dark africa" ideas... by that I'm assuming you mean like a King Kong worshipped by natives, etc.... That being said, one of the ideas I had been playing with making were a lot of bestial humanoid races (i.e. wemics, various cat folk, gnolls and other "dog folk" that would look more like seluki/greyhounds, parrot/toucan/cockatoo/stork/vulture/peacock aarakocra, mousefolk, bainligor (bat folk), loxo, rhinaurs, Noceri (my term for rhino men), giff, yak men, crocodilians, bullywugs, lizardmen, saurials, etc...) rather than human dominated. Its because of this, that I'd rather see these new "jungle drow" on the continent a little further east, so that there are few to no human like groups there (orcs would fit though).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2021 :  22:59:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm not against "dark africa" ideas... by that I'm assuming you mean like a King Kong worshipped by natives, etc.... That being said, one of the ideas I had been playing with making were a lot of bestial humanoid races (i.e. wemics, various cat folk, gnolls and other "dog folk" that would look more like seluki/greyhounds, parrot/toucan/cockatoo/stork/vulture/peacock aarakocra, mousefolk, bainligor (bat folk), loxo, rhinaurs, Noceri (my term for rhino men), giff, yak men, crocodilians, bullywugs, lizardmen, saurials, etc...) rather than human dominated. Its because of this, that I'd rather see these new "jungle drow" on the continent a little further east, so that there are few to no human like groups there (orcs would fit though).

The new Mwangi Expanse book has some interesting racial choices, though not the beastial-types you reference.

The Southlands book should have some more choices, too. Gnolls are one of the predominent races in Per-Bastet, and the original Southlands book also had a race called the nkosi -- kind of like catfolk, but they also could turn into small lions.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  02:09:46  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

The new Mwangi Expanse book has some interesting racial choices, though not the beastial-types you reference.

The Southlands book should have some more choices, too. Gnolls are one of the predominent races in Per-Bastet, and the original Southlands book also had a race called the nkosi -- kind of like catfolk, but they also could turn into small lions.

I mean, it has gnolls, and it has spiderfolk… plus catfolk and lizardfolk in the region, who are playable using earlier 2e books.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  02:56:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying it thoroughly!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  11:35:57  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got it myself recently, and I'm finding it to be quite impressive tome indeed. Really great artwork in it as well. It is a good indicator of what great things might come when they finally do a Southern Garund gazetter (the Mwangi Expanse is a vast region, however it is only a small part of a much larger continent).

Paizo has done a really good job at designing the "non-European"-esque continents of Golarion. Especially so when you compare them to the other continents of Forgotten Realms, like Kara-Tur and Maztica especially, which are pretty much hackily designed and outdated by today's standards, as it mimics RW history far too much, not to mention, it is not very well attuned to the tone and style of Faerun. I would love if they could get remade and overhauled both in a way which aligns them better to the Forgotten Realms setting, and in a way that represents non-European peoples better. But of course WotC don't seem to be particularly eager to do any world-building in Forgotten Realms.

Personally if Paizo makes gazetter books for Casmaron (the Middle East type continent), Arcadia (the Americas), Southern Garund (Sub-Saharan Africa), Crown of the World (North Pole with Antartica-like continent), I might just replace all the continents of Toril (except for Faerun ofc) with these continents designed by Paizo for my own FR games.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2021 :  18:35:57  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really interested in 2e PF, except for the new Absalom sourcebook, it will have over 400 pages.

Out of all continents I particularly liked their version of Kara-Tur, Tian Xia, and some planar stuff.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000