Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Next WotC book: "Candlekeep Mysteries"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2021 :  22:15:39  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anthology of seventeen mystery-themed adventures. Full announcement tomorrow.

Scant details so far, just a cover and blurb, but given the title I thought folks here might like to know about it sooner rather than later!

https://www.geeknative.com/111626/dd-candlekeep-mysteries-is-the-next-official-dd-book/

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2021 :  22:46:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. Not what I was expecting.

I will comment further when there's more info to comment on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2021 :  23:16:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mysteries of Candlekeep are going on display?

I guess I'd better clean my room. And my workdesk. And my shelves. I don't know how they all got so messy. I blame Alaundo, that guy just never stops partying.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  03:10:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious to see what we get here; you can sneak a lot of neat info into seventeen adventures.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  03:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The mysteries of Candlekeep are going on display?

I guess I'd better clean my room. And my workdesk. And my shelves. I don't know how they all got so messy. I blame Alaundo, that guy just never stops partying.

Nobody mention the Calishite dancing girls!

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  04:29:03  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has the Candlekeep. It had mysteries and it is an anthology. Instant buy for me! At least I am able to run the small adventures when I can find the time, but running the long campaign books is just impossible for me at this time in my life so I am happy with the anthology book!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  07:28:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such "small adventure" anthologies have been a feature of TSR/WotC from the very first. Their quality could best be described as "uneven". Those set in the Realms have featured what I call 'bookmark lore' ("This adventure is set in Arabel ...") and/or "nod of the head lore" ("Bilbos is a wizard of the Arcane Brotherhood"). I don't need any FR adventures so it's a pass from me, but I am intrigued as to whether the title means the adventures will actually be set in Candlekeep. If so, then ... umm, yeah.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wait, what?! Don't look behind the curtain!

Certainly looking forward to this tome and intrigued on how and where the adventures will be based. I'd be extremely excited if it were a sourcebook instead, however.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  12:31:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both Tales of the Yawning Portal and Lost Tales of Myth Drannor were, IMO, very decent products with the latter more so than the former.

I hope these aren't just rehashed adventures from previous Editions and Settings plopped into the Realms, but more story-driven adventures of various levels that hop around the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  15:44:53  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Official announcement probably coming today, but in the meantime the marketing copy has also leaked.

I’ve reproduced it in its entirety below, but the good news is that this doesn’t seem quite like Tales from the Yawning Portal or Ghosts of Saltmarsh, where the adventures don’t actually all take place in the Realms or Greyhawk, respectively; instead, it sounds like all of these are actually set in the Realms.

Also: poster map of Candlekeep!

Here’s the leaked text:

Candlekeep attracts scholars like a flame attracts moths. Historians, sages, and others who crave knowledge flock to this library fortress to peruse its vast collection of books, scribbled into which are the answers to the mysteries that bedevil them. Many of these books contain their own mysteries—each one a doorway to adventure. Dare you cross that threshold?

· 17 mystery-themed D&D adventures, each tied to a book discovered in the famed library fortress of Candlekeep
· Easy to run as stand-alone mini adventures or to drop into your home campaign
· Adventures span play from levels 1 to 16
· Includes a full poster map of Candlekeep, plus detailed descriptions of the various locations, characters, and creatures that reside within it
· Introduces a variety of Dungeons & Dragons monsters, items, and non-player characters (NPCs)

Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of seventeen short, stand-alone D&D adventures designed for characters of levels 1–16. Each adventure begins with the discovery of a book, and each book is the key to a door behind which danger and glory await. These adventures can be run as one-shot games, plugged into an existing Forgotten Realms campaign, or adapted for other campaign settings. This book also includes a poster map of the library fortress and detailed descriptions of Candlekeep and its inhabitants.

Edited by - John Daker on 12 Jan 2021 15:46:14
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  20:28:38  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Extensive story, with interviews about the book (Chris Perkins and several of the adventure writers) here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/dungeons-dragons-new-adventure-book-brings-fresh-voic-1846037449.

Highlights of interest to us here:

- A "few" of the adventures are set within Candlekeep.

- Candlekeep is also given a full write-up, presumably much like Saltmarsh in the anthology book Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

- One adventure is set in Tashalar!
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  22:56:02  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say it is a smart idea for WotC to make an adventure book consisting of several small adventures since then they can work as base for DMs to start campaign with (especially useful for new DMs) and then later the DMs can customize and expand it to their own needs. Would be a cool idea if Paizo did something like that with Pathfinder.

Though what was spoken about in that article didn't seem that interesting to me at least. The only thing of interest is the potential of seeing more of Tashalar, but I doubt we'll get an article about it's current state in 5e Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  02:10:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that WotC should send some preview copies to scribes here. I nominate myself as one recipient.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  02:19:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

Extensive story, with interviews about the book (Chris Perkins and several of the adventure writers) here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/dungeons-dragons-new-adventure-book-brings-fresh-voic-1846037449.

That interview definitely makes this book sound more interesting than it originally did.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  02:41:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just when I said I wasn't going to buy any more 5e products something comes out with a map of Candlekeep...

Never say never folks.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  08:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think that WotC should send some preview copies to scribes here. I nominate myself as one recipient.

Well met

It would be extremely rude of them not to, my furry friend After all, we have been keeping the Realms alive and supporting for over twenty years

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  08:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Remember, fellow scribes, in anticipation of this upcoming tome, you can satisfy yourself with the amazing piece of lore written by Ed Greenwood especially for this Candlekeep website. What was to be a mere couple of sentences ended up as several pages, to which we were humbled and honoured to receive. Forever grateful to Ed for taking the time and effort to produce this.

You can access it from the home page, Alaundo's Library page or simply click here.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  13:48:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Highlights of interest to us here:

- A "few" of the adventures are set within Candlekeep.

- Candlekeep is also given a full write-up, presumably much like Saltmarsh in the anthology book Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

- One adventure is set in Tashalar!

Yep, that is an interesting thing, because it does answer to a degree one question I've been wondering about. In 4e, the map showed the area that should have been Tashluta as more than likely gone (as it did to a lot of the Chultan peninsula). The question becomes, did it go away (i.e. to Abeir) as so many other places that are coming back, did it sink (which would be harder to recover from), or are they going to say "oops, the map was just messed up and it was always still on Toril".

I'm personally interested in this one, because I was doing something with the region to try and save it by having parts of its population relocating elsewhere while on Abeir and then opening up the idea that it might then be a place that people want to return to and free from the control of those who moved in.

Still, the book does sound interesting, especially the stuff in candlekeep itself. While there were some issues with Rime of the Frostmaiden, overall I liked it. I just hope they don't make the adventures so generic that they really don't fit Toril (I get that they want to please a lot of folks, but it does irk me when they use a region and don't use that region truly).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 13 Jan 2021 14:06:58
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  14:17:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Remember, fellow scribes, in anticipation of this upcoming tome, you can satisfy yourself with the amazing piece of lore written by Ed Greenwood especially for this Candlekeep website. What was to be a mere couple of sentences ended up as several pages, to which we were humbled and honoured to receive. Forever grateful to Ed for taking the time and effort to produce this.

You can access it from the home page, Alaundo's Library page or simply click here.

Alaundo.... this is SOO much a show of how much there is buried in this site. I've been coming here for years and had never read this. Thank you, and most assuredly thank you Ed. That being said.... darn you both, because I was trying to get something done and now I'm reading this.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  14:17:43  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm certain that most of these adventures were not designed from the ground up with a particular region of Toril in mind. But I have hope that for each adventure or adventure idea, Perkins found a place (or places) in Faerûn where that adventure would fit, and then perhaps made small changes to the adventure to strengthen that fit.

On a different note, I wonder what the poster map of Candlekeep will be like—especially whether it will be compatible with the gorgeous map included in Elminster’s Candlekeep Compendium. Now that I think of it, I wonder whether it actually will be that map . . .
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  15:45:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cynic in me suspects that it is more like they found a region that might fit and then changed the region to fit the adventure (i.e. Narfell is a great place for this adventure filled with barbarian horse nomads - but it doesnt have any red dragons in it and out adventure does - nevermind, just include a blurb with the adventure that points out that red dragons have always lived in Narfell.)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  18:37:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, since I know there was recently a DM's Guild product that focused on Candlekeep as well maybe 6 months back, are any of them involved with this? I believe it had a map of candlekeep as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2021 :  22:07:44  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wotc is reading my campaign bible...
I chopped up OOTA and set my party up to go to Candlekeep over a year ago. I found myself stunned when I realized I had made a pathway from the adventure location I randomly placed in the Delimbyr Vale to lead the party to Loudwater, where I found out there was a Harper teleportation Network that was inside Storm King's Thunder. THAT would lead them to Waterdeep, where I realized I already sent a background NPC to look for the Promenade of the Dark Maiden. Then I realized the entirety of Dungeon of the Mad Mage existed detailing that general area nearby with Skullport and the layers beneath. Then I look down the pathway to candlekeep and the most likely next major destination is Baldur's Gate- where there had just been released an adventure there as well. Now, through a route through almost every 5e realms module, we're going to arrive at candlekeep and have an entire book of modules right there?

O_O I had no idea I was going to be running Faerun's Greatest Hits..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2021 :  02:03:32  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the mention of each adventure being tied to a book found in Candlekeep, I am hoping the book and corresponding adventure hook are fairly lore heavy. I'm afraid it will be more along the lines of "Hey someone stole our book! Can you get it back?"

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2021 :  04:46:31  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just wondering, since I know there was recently a DM's Guild product that focused on Candlekeep as well maybe 6 months back, are any of them involved with this? I believe it had a map of candlekeep as well.

Yes, that is Elminster's Candlekeep Compendium, and it's pretty great. I don't know whether any of the contributors to that release (including Ed Greenwood!) have also worked on Candlekeep Mysteries, but I did take the liberty of contacting the cartographer who made the map for that release; he said he was not involved in the new book, so the poster map in the upcoming WotC book is going to be different from the map in ECC.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2021 :  14:24:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, that is Elminster's Candlekeep Compendium, and it's pretty great. I don't know whether any of the contributors to that release (including Ed Greenwood!) have also worked on Candlekeep Mysteries, but I did take the liberty of contacting the cartographer who made the map for that release; he said he was not involved in the new book, so the poster map in the upcoming WotC book is going to be different from the map in ECC.

In some ways, that does kind of suck, in that I feel for the folks that may have poured some blood, sweat, and tears into that product only to have it possibly overwritten.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2021 :  14:58:37  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In some ways, that does kind of suck, in that I feel for the folks that may have poured some blood, sweat, and tears into that product only to have it possibly overwritten.

If Candlekeep Mysteries does turn out to contradict Elminster’s Candlekeep Compendium in any significant way, then (unless I’m forgetting something) that would make ECC the highest-profile DM’s Guild product to date to be overwritten canonically by a later WotC release.

It would be unfortunate if this does happen, though it’s hard to imagine WotC changing anything at all in their book to fit a DM’s Guild product, even one with Ed’s direct involvement. Perhaps the creators of ECC would revise on their end to resolve discrepancies, if this can be done quickly and easily.

Edited by - John Daker on 15 Jan 2021 14:59:18
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  04:56:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was always bound to happen. There was talk early on that WotC would be monitoring the DMs Guild for quality content with a view to adopting some/all of it and giving it the "official" imprimatur. I'm not aware of that happening even once. The Candlekeep product at the Guild was pretty good, so I can well imagine that its creators would be a bit glum about the prospect of their hard work being invalidated and/or unrecognised. It's happened to me and it's not fun.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  05:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Was always bound to happen. There was talk early on that WotC would be monitoring the DMs Guild for quality content with a view to adopting some/all of it and giving it the "official" imprimatur. I'm not aware of that happening even once.

I also thought it might be a way for them to scout talent... Has anyone that started on the DM's Guild gotten to work on an official WotC product?

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  06:09:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Was always bound to happen. There was talk early on that WotC would be monitoring the DMs Guild for quality content with a view to adopting some/all of it and giving it the "official" imprimatur. I'm not aware of that happening even once.

I also thought it might be a way for them to scout talent... Has anyone that started on the DM's Guild gotten to work on an official WotC product?

A number of this book’s contributors, I believe.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2021 :  15:39:56  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:

quote:

A number of this book’s contributors, I believe.

Actually, not a one, unless there are more writers that I didn't see when checking out the ECC. If I was greatly mistaken, then I rescind my comment.

Edited by - Renin on 26 Jan 2021 21:05:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000