Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sammaster's prophecies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2020 :  15:26:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

They could have had Gargauth be a bigger player or if they really wanted to introduce a new god of indulgence, use Kanchelsis.

The Kanchelsis angle for a "god of indulgence" would make sense. That being said, the portfolio of "indulgence", wasn't necessarily one that Gargauth espoused. Gargauth was more a god of political corruption, betrayal, and "contracts". The closest thing to indulgence was probably Sharess (who also doesn't appear on the list of current deities in the SCAG, but like Velsharoon I wouldn't say she's gone). One thing I've felt for a while is that certain portfolios (despite earlier editions saying differently) can be held by multiple beings at the same time in the same pantheon, but they simply receive worship from different groups. I can see more males and vampires turning to Kanchelsis, whereas I can see more females turning to Sharess. The two cults might actually war with one another to win over worshippers, and given that "officially" Asmodeus holds "the title".... I could actually see several such cults working against Asmodeus' worshippers now (including beings like Gargauth, Bane, and even demon cults working to remove his worshippers). I don't see Asmodeus having a lot of allies within the pantheon who might send their worshippers to help his. To a degree, with the second sundering returning deities, it might be open hunting on Asmodeus' worshippers by several power groups right now, and most of them being evil rather than good.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 23 Dec 2020 16:12:25
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2020 :  17:26:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

They could have had Gargauth be a bigger player or if they really wanted to introduce a new god of indulgence, use Kanchelsis.

The Kanchelsis angle for a "god of indulgence" would make sense. That being said, the portfolio of "indulgence", wasn't necessarily one that Gargauth espoused. Gargauth was more a god of political corruption, betrayal, and "contracts". The closest thing to indulgence was probably Sharess (who also doesn't appear on the list of current deities in the SCAG, but like Velsharoon I wouldn't say she's gone). One thing I've felt for a while is that certain portfolios (despite earlier editions saying differently) can be held by multiple beings at the same time in the same pantheon, but they simply receive worship from different groups. I can see more males and vampires turning to Kanchelsis, whereas I can see more females turning to Sharess. The two cults might actually war with one another to win over worshippers, and given that "officially" Asmodeus holds "the title".... I could actually see several such cults working against Asmodeus' worshippers now (including beings like Gargauth, Bane, and even demon cults working to remove his worshippers). I don't see Asmodeus having a lot of allies within the pantheon who might send their worshippers to help his. To a degree, with the second sundering returning deities, it might be open hunting on Asmodeus' worshippers by several power groups right now, and most of them being evil rather than good.

The SCA says that Asmo is the god of indulgence. However, after reading through his entry in there, I believe that the author/designer brought in, either consciously or subconsciously, their Judeo/Christian beliefs and history.

For one thing, the word "sin" is used at one point instead of transgression. Merriam-Webster has that defined as "an offense against religious or moral law". In a monotheism, you have a single source for those laws. In a polytheism, you have several sources so while the action may be a transgression against one god, another one may encourage it. Given that everyone is aware of that fact, why would a "sinner" reach out to anyone other than their patron god? In that kind of system, where gods actively interact with their followers, it is a transactional system and not one of blind faith.

Secondly, god of indulgence? That smacks just too much for me of Christian history. The Catholic Church back in the Middle Ages would sell "indulgences" that allowed the purchaser to sin and not get a bad mark on their soul's record for it. So, suddenly, in a pantheon of gods, you have a "devil making deals" saying if you "sin against your god", it will be ok? That just doesn't pass the smell test. If that is typical to the 5e Realms, no thanks, I'll pass. Just like the Spellplague turned me off to 4e.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2020 :  18:51:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Secondly, god of indulgence? That smacks just too much for me of Christian history. The Catholic Church back in the Middle Ages would sell "indulgences" that allowed the purchaser to sin and not get a bad mark on their soul's record for it. So, suddenly, in a pantheon of gods, you have a "devil making deals" saying if you "sin against your god", it will be ok? That just doesn't pass the smell test. If that is typical to the 5e Realms, no thanks, I'll pass. Just like the Spellplague turned me off to 4e.

First, I agree with you, in large part... Except for the god of indulgence part. I'm familiar with the real-world history of that term, but I don't think that's what's meant in regards to Asmodeus. I think it's the "the practice of allowing enjoyment of whatever is desired" definition of the word -- you do you, and don't worry about if it's moral or not. That seems much more the province of an evil deity.

Not a fan of Asmodeus, and he'll never be a deity in my Realms, but I figured this needed to be said.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000