Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Heroes' Feast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone pick this "official" cookbook up yet? It isn't specifically for the Realms but it looks like lots of name drops, Moonshae, Sword Coast, Yawning Portal, etc.

Mainly I'd love to know if they got any input from Ed on it? I've had no luck finding the attribution page. I remember reading of the various dishes in the old scrolls here and in the Volo's guides. There was even an occasional recipe.

I doubt it is what my imagination constructed when I heard D&D cookbook. Very fleshed out detailed lore and recipes from a few restaurants/inns/feast halls. Maybe with a famous Realms Chef guide, obviously a halfling or a gnome, maybe like Gordon Ramsey or better yet Julia Child. A smattering of light stats for the chef, and tge rarest tasty beasts (with real world substitutes). Maybe a bonus dish from Elminster featuring ice cream, if I recollect he used to clean Ed's freezer out.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  10:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, I have this tome, and it's wonderful! Very well produced and presented. Some great recipes (although i've not tried any thus far). There are some snippets of lore introductions on Realms and other WotC world Inns etc too.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  18:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's good to know, I'll added to my list of things to buy then. Honestly my mind's been racing with ideas for a Realms cookbook, I have a large background in the kitchen. Probably start a scroll here on it when I get some free time.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2021 :  00:21:20  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Well that's good to know, I'll added to my list of things to buy then. Honestly my mind's been racing with ideas for a Realms cookbook, I have a large background in the kitchen. Probably start a scroll here on it when I get some free time.

Something like a "Volo's Guide to All Things Culinary"?
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2021 :  06:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! Volo sees too much play.

You want someone to write a cookbook get yourself a halfling. Famous female chef Jewel Chicory has befriended some of the best cooks in her many travels and you can read all about it in "Realms of Cookery", famous recipes, kitchen layouts, tools of the trade, even career paths for the culinary minded.

I imagine something like 40% recipes (including photos), 40% fluff, 20% crunch. If we are shooting 240 pages like Heroes' Feast, that's something like 96 food, 96 fluff, 48 crunch. Obviously you'd want the food to have Realm's flare. Lots of tidbits of lore scattered through out, sidebars, etc. Put in a couple new monsters, kitchen "equipment", a couple magic items, a few spells, even a prestige class. And obviously maps of kitchens and fest halls, I always have trouble categorizing this as fluff or crunch kind of straddles the line. And of course a few short one shot daring adventures, again sort of 1/2 crunch 1/2 fluff.

Anyway another project that will likely never get done on my long list of things to do. Maybe if I ever retire I'll just focus on finishing things like this.

Edited by - Gelcur on 16 Jun 2021 06:20:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2021 :  16:58:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am I missing something, where is this from?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2021 :  15:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heroes' Feast was an officially licensed D&D cookbook that leaned heavy on the Realms but only on the most surface level, the recipes were just ok. But it was gorgeous food photography.

The Realms of Cookery book is just a work of my imagination. What I had envisioned a FR cookbook would be when I heard one was coming out. Sorry if there was some confusion.

Edited by - Gelcur on 17 Jun 2021 15:08:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000