Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Valley for a temple of Akadi: ideal locations?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  11:24:45  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all.

I am in search of Faerunian regions containing at least one valley suitable for a lost temple I have in mind; this immense structure is dedicated to the air god Akadi. Not only does the temple fly - it occurs automatically, in a loop that takes it from end to end of the valley - but it also shifts over to The Elemental Plane of Air every so often. Further complicating matters is an elder sky dragon that long ago claimed the house of worship as his own abode.

Basically, what I need is a location that satisfies the following criteria:

1. It isn't too far north OR south.
2. It isn't adjacent to a coast (it must be inland).
3. It isn't within the Dalelands.
4. It is isolated (how else would it escape notice?).
5. The area possesses a temperate climate.

Any relevant recommendations would be much appreciated .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  11:55:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Orsraun Mountains bordering Turmish should suit your needs. There happens to be a rather large river valley splitting the range that would be perfect.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  11:57:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also put it in the Galena Mountains but that may be too far north for your liking. There's also the Star Mounts (place it sort of in the middle of them) in the High Forest.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  00:21:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Troll Mountains on eastern edge of Amn or Sunset Mountains, north of those.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Nov 2020 07:58:23
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  06:26:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
Basically, what I need is a location that satisfies the following criteria:

1. It isn't too far north OR south.
2. It isn't adjacent to a coast (it must be inland).
3. It isn't within the Dalelands.
4. It is isolated (how else would it escape notice?).
5. The area possesses a temperate climate.

Any relevant recommendations would be much appreciated .

I think the Uthangol Mountains would work well for you. There is a pass that runs through them separating the Shaar from the Old Empires area. As far as I can tell, it is temperate. It is very isolated. Below is some limited info on it:

quote:
This chain of peaks stretches eastward from the tip of the Chondalwood, forming an effective barrier between the Shaar on the south side and the Black Ash Plain and the Green Lands of Unther to the north. Windswept and relatively barren of vegetation, the Uthangols serve as the northern boundary of the territory claimed by the gold dwarves of the Great Rift who have followed and expanded on the endless tunnels and caverns that stretch from their canyon all the way beneath the heart of the mountains. (Shining South, p..162, 2004)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  06:26:48  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My first thought when I read the thread title was huh? valley and Akadi? Would have thought a mountain top. After reading the full topic it now makes more sense.

There is an unnamed (at least in the maps I had a look at) north of the Border Forest and just before the Tortured Lands, north of Whitethorn. There is a bit on the western side that is right next to the eastern edge of Anauroch - that seems kinda isolated to me.

Other options:
Greypeak mountains are out of way and no major settlements bar Evereska around, and who says that elves would talk?

Mountain ranges around Erlkazar
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  15:30:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, would the hordelands be entirely out of bounds for you? When I read your concept, the first areas that popped in my head were there and the Shaar as being wide open areas with few people. There are mountains there, and if you'd be looking for a place where there might be something like a temple dedicated to air monks or somesuch it might make sense. To note, within the hordelands, they know her as Teylas.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Nov 2020 15:32:19
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  15:59:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

quote:
Just curious, would the hordelands be entirely out of bounds for you? When I read your concept, the first areas that popped in my head were there and the Shaar as being wide open areas with few people.

I thought the Shaar myself, but thought it "...too far north OR south."

I also thought the Hordelands or Horse Plans, but they are outside of Faerun as (for sure the Horse Plains) far as I am aware.

Though, if I was putting something from the Hordelands out there, I would pick one of:

• The Firepeaks
  • Khopet-Dag (Spiderhaunt Peaks)
  • Kora Shan (Swordrise Mountains)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  23:00:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say lose the valley. Why a valley? Use a mountain. Done.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  05:25:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Masked Mage,

quote:

Out of curiosity, why a mountain, and not a valley?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  00:19:38  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, folks; I'll be taking a look at each recommendation fairly soon.

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I've been on the internet for a good long while. During my time with various communities focused on creative endeavors, I have found that this variety of succinct comment (i.e., "Just do/use something else.") is mostly unhelpful. Now, if you wish to significantly expand on your suggestion, I'll be all ears.

A valley is appealing to me for multiple reasons. One strike against a mountain (I assume you meant a lone mountain) is that it is more open than the cloistered terrain of a valley. Besides which, I already have a mountain in mind...you'll be hearing me maunder on about it at some point.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  07:19:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

Only out of curiosity, what makes the utility/interest in a valley of particular value to you? :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  10:12:00  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe Azar,

Only out of curiosity, what makes the utility/interest in a valley of particular value to you? :)

Best regards,

The nature of the location (it being isolated/secluded) makes it a believable nook to conceal a massive structure lost to history. When you further factor in the temple's apparently mercurial tendency to change between planes of reality, it makes sense that area hasn't already been swarmed by amateur archaeologists, larcenous adventurers and - of course - Akadians. In fact, the PCs will be lead here by an obscure bit of recordkeeping located by a diligent Deneirrath; they have no idea what truly awaits them.

Then, there is the matter of player engagement. As you know, changing up environments helps to reduce campaign fatigue and elevate overall interest. For example: if an adventure taking place at an abandoned cliffside coastal fortress is concluded, I then do what I can to move the story elsewhere (e.g., some plains bordering a primeval forest or maybe a bustling metropolis). I mentioned a mountain before...that mountain is an extended set piece where the PCs interact with some unusual hobgoblins not to mention terrain. After they depart, the next lead should eventually take them to that bookish priest.

Also, the only way into the valley barring powerful magic (and this is an early AD&D 2e game, so...no later edition shenanigans are available to be exploited) or an arduous series of climbs along the earthen cradle is a narrow path concealed from aerial observation. I previously had an entirely separate concept in mind: an entity pressed into service by a Quest spell (it's the divine counterpart to Geas). At some point I realized that I could kill two birds with one stone by placing this unwilling guardian within said path. Not only would such an adversary clue the players in to the fact that they are on the right track, but...they would also be challenged in a way that prepares them for the trial just ahead.

Finally? I won't deny that a picturesque location just appeals to me.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  19:57:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

That sounds like a great series of reasons to have your point of selection. Have you decided which location you are going to utilize?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  21:26:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe Azar,

Best regards,

The nature of the location (it being isolated/secluded) makes it a believable nook to conceal a massive structure lost to history. When you further factor in the temple's apparently mercurial tendency to change between planes of reality, it makes sense that area hasn't already been swarmed by amateur archaeologists, larcenous adventurers and - of course - Akadians. In fact, the PCs will be lead here by an obscure bit of recordkeeping located by a diligent Deneirrath; they have no idea what truly awaits them.

Then, there is the matter of player engagement. As you know, changing up environments helps to reduce campaign fatigue and elevate overall interest. For example: if an adventure taking place at an abandoned cliffside coastal fortress is concluded, I then do what I can to move the story elsewhere (e.g., some plains bordering a primeval forest or maybe a bustling metropolis). I mentioned a mountain before...that mountain is an extended set piece where the PCs interact with some unusual hobgoblins not to mention terrain. After they depart, the next lead should eventually take them to that bookish priest.

Also, the only way into the valley barring powerful magic (and this is an early AD&D 2e game, so...no later edition shenanigans are available to be exploited) or an arduous series of climbs along the earthen cradle is a narrow path concealed from aerial observation. I previously had an entirely separate concept in mind: an entity pressed into service by a Quest spell (it's the divine counterpart to Geas). At some point I realized that I could kill two birds with one stone by placing this unwilling guardian within said path. Not only would such an adversary clue the players in to the fact that they are on the right track, but...they would also be challenged in a way that prepares them for the trial just ahead.

Finally? I won't deny that a picturesque location just appeals to me.

First, I have to say one thing... I'm from south Mississippi/Louisiana, so the term used for followers of Akadi use (i.e. akadians.... so much like real world acadians) just tickled my funny bone. I'm picturing the people in monk's robes eating crawfish (ripping the head off, sucking the juice, everything).

That aside, back to the realms... what you've described... there is a valley mentioned in a novel which kind of very much fits what your describing except that there's not a specific link to Akadi. Its a hidden wonderland, kind of like our real world shangri-la, It's called Langdarma.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Langdarma

The valley's inhabitants abhor conflict. The place is picturesque. its hidden by magic. It has a deva pressed into service to protect the place by a goddess-like being who left it. If you are playing 2e, there's already an article detailing in 2e stats some of the PC's in Dragon Annual #3 Rogue's Gallery: faces of Deception. Also, since it IS the utter east, I should mention that the Utter East has a past history that could also fit in... with the whole Blood and Magic game they put in a concept that in the past, that area was made up of regions rules by the "Circle of Order" and there were various "lords" who correlated to elements to a degree. There was the Lord of Lands, the Lady of Tides, the Lord of Flames, and a "rogue lord" called Tartaryon who turn on his fellows.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Utter_East

The one thing is that the valley itself IS very nice, but traversing to it involves going into icy mountains, etc... Getting to Langdarma may involve passing through magical gates, etc... and where exactly you've ended up at the end is somewhat questionable.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 Dec 2020 21:30:11
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  00:07:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Dang it, if you poach that with Langdarma...! hahaha

I only didn't mention that as the OP identified "Faerun" as the qualifier, and not to far north or south. ;) haha

By the way: I miss southern food so much. When I was stationed down south in the Army, I couldn't get enough of eating pretty much everywhere, but especially in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Best... food... ever!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000