Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Icewind Dale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  10:04:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose, but perhaps Ordning does not literally translate into "order" but perhaps means something like Assembly of the Glorious Tribes.

Perhaps i can look for inspiration in the dwarven dictionary since the two languages are meant to be related.

I can understand the lack of interest in giant lore, there simply wasnt enough of it to make it interesting but i think that is starting to change.

Giant lore in Icewind Dale is from what i can gather summarised below.

The Reghedmen fought Kelvin Duarol in the land around Kelvin's Cairn in the distant past.

A giant city of Ostoria named Karffbadh once existed on the peninsula that is now covered by the Sea of Moving Ice.

There are seven thrones at Jarlmoot west of the Ten Towns. The leader of this moot was known as the Jarl of Jarls.

So we have a number of possibilities with regards to the ordering but it seems clear that first was Karffbadh, one of the successors to Ostoria, which gradually fell as the north was covered with ice from the ever expanding Great Glacier and the climate changes caused by it.

Presumably the giants moved from Karffbadh to outlying areas of their city state, which is now known as Icewind Dale.

So either we have Kevlin Duarol and his battle with the Reghedmen next or we have the Jarlmoot.

I think it more likely that Jarlmoot came next, the clans of Karffbadh migrated to Icewind Dale and gradually separated into 7 distinct groups led by the Jarl of Jarls who presumably was descended from the ruling family of Karffbadh.

These jarldoms gradually fell one by one to external or internal pressures. I think there were a group of white dragons (a remnant of Hoarfaern perhaps) that once laired around here and likely fought with the frost giants, causing the fall of a number of jarldoms.

Then Kelvin Duarol who controlled the Ten Towns region, fought with the Reghedmen and lost and thus ended frost giant dominance in the area.

I reckon there should be lots of old giant ruins in the Sea of Moving Ice, and more than a few under the Reghed Glacier and of course inside Kelvin's Cairn

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  21:01:34  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
..perhaps Ordning does not literally translate into "order"..

The word "ordning" (it's a Scandinavian word) does indeed translate literally into the English "order". The word can also be used in the various senses that order can be used. Like "world order", "societal order" and can definitely mean a hierarchy for example.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2020 :  02:22:28  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Returnip,

Oh, and I just bet you're from this fabled land of Scandinavia, now are ya....?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

xaos_bob
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2021 :  07:39:53  Show Profile  Visit xaos_bob's Homepage Send xaos_bob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Reader Dallison,

I'm a bit late to the proceedings, but I wanted to remind you that 2e did, indeed, have tieflings. They weren't a core heritage, but they were introduced by Planescape, and included Torment, which predates both IWD games.

That said, Planescape was rather treated by WotC as a niche setting, despite even Torment's popularity. Not a shock that legitimate tiefers didn't make a showing in Icewind Dale.

As to the plethora of awakened animals, I have been mulling that over for days now. As it stands, there is no good reason (stated or implied) for druids to be doing this. Ravisin, the druid credited for awakening both the plesiosaur and the white moose, is angry about her sister's death, but awakening animals seems a reaaly weird way to get revenge.

So I chalk it up to something that fell through the cracks. Maybe it sounded cool enough in meetings, but in execution it is just strange and a little stupid. A druid, even an evil one, inflicts sapience on an innocent animal permanently, then abandons them with the admonishment of "go and kill a bunch of people because I say so"? How is that remotely druidic? Burdening them with a mind that cannot benefit from hands and tools and social structures, then enslaving them to pursue a personal agenda is one of the least druidic things I have ever heard. How can she even still cast her spells? How has the earth itself not arisen to consume her at this point?

I haven't yet determined what I will do instead. I lean toward using the story as written as background for a player who can speak with animals. Unless there is a compelling reason for an animal to be awakened and not, y'know, simply an animal doing its thing, there will be no awakened beasts in my RotF campaigns.

Finally, thank you to everyone in this thread for your research. It has led me in some unexpected directions, which is really nice after reading the fourth source regarding the Dale that has been copy-pasted from the previous. Seriously, four. That I recall clearly, there may have been a couple more. I appreciate an author double-dipping their own work, but it was getting pretty bland. And then I found this thread! So thank you, again.

"If we be adventurers, then let us ADVENTURE!"
~Minsc, Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2021 :  08:07:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you found something useful.

I'm still not sure what to do about the awakened animals.

I'm leaning towards using the chief of the now lost Reghed barbarian tribe in the Accursed Tower 2e adventure.

He starts the awakening thing and trains a number of proteges. At some point I think the cult of Auril gets hold of this magic and starts using it themselves.

I'm thinking that in general terms a good person begets good awakened animals and a bad person begets bad awakened animals, if only because the first memories and experiences of their intelligent lives will be good or bad depending upon the creator.
If your first memory of humans was that they were unbelievably cruel to you then youd be wary of them. If the next few hundred times you encounter humans they are hunting you or killing your food then youd want revenge

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2021 :  08:12:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unfortunately I got bored of icewind dale (probably because I read the same thing 4 times in 4 separate books).

I've moved on to cataloguing all lore from all novels at the moment but if you get any ideas then speak up and I'll get my research notes out.

Because the 4e and 5e designers did a terrible job or working their kewl ideas into existing lore I've spent much of my time and effort in doing it for them (although some ideas are unsalvageable). It has resulted in a few gems, especially using lore from the computer games to explain away and develop the 5e stuff.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

LadyNukshia
Acolyte

Spain
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  13:57:04  Show Profile Send LadyNukshia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!
Thank you everyone for your contributions in this interesting conversation. I'm new to Icewind Dale, you gave me many insights and new ideas.

We now the novels and the sourcebooks don't always agree, and here is one example related to the thread:
The short story "The First Notch" - by RAS published in one Dragon magazine and The Collected Stories, The Legend of Drizzt - is about the battle with the ettin mentioned in The Legacy. The shadow dragon had already enter but not invaded with his minions.
We can read this line about Bruenor in the firsts paragraphs: "He had passed the midpoint of his third decade, nearly into his threens, yet truly he felt a child when he thought of his hairless face, not a single whisker showing. "
--> he wasn't even 30 years old, that means it was before 1150 DR (not 1172 like sourcebook - Hall of Heroes? - says)

We know also, from Dwarven Deep, that the Battlehammer stay in Ironmaster for a while, though not welcomed there, so I don't think they stayed long.
And also, if there where any human settlement (Caer Dinev or Caer Koning maybe) taken by orcs or goblins, I think they would have get ridden of them before settle in the Valley, to close home.

So the Battlehammers could have arrived a couple of years later after leaving Mithral Hall, or maybe just one.
If their only neighbours were the nomads tribes (Ice hunters and Reghed men), definetly they'd have be very wary of them: the ones from Ironmaster kill them or stripped of their weapons and everything if they enter their territory! Maybe there was some trade for building trust, like weapons for pelts or teach their explorers to survive and hunt there.
If there where any settlement there already, they may welcome the new allies, but maybe they didn't like the trade with the tribes...

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  15:00:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm away from my notes at the moment but I think for a definitive answer on clan battlehammer we may need to wait for work by Eric and George to be released.

As to what was in Icewind Dale and when. Ice hunters likely first, then dwarves, then illuskans.

With humanoids in a hostile environment like icewind dale, trade is essential to prevent small populations from being wiped out.

So even if initial meetings are hostile, they would soon mellow when numbers on either side got too low.

The regheds regard the land around the peak as sacred and that is likely the cause of some friction between the tribes and the ten towns, but the dwarves love under the peak so they might be able to avoid that friction and trade freely.

As for if orcs took over a settlement. Dwarves have small populations and limited resources. If it were me, I would weigh up the risk of trying to evict the orcs against leaving them for bad winters to decimate them.
I honestly think the dwarves would leave the orcs to it as long as the orcs didn't bother the dwarves. Uncharacteristic I know but there really is so little in icewind dale to survive on that any other policy is a recipe for extinction.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page