Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Are there any Elf F/M/T's in 2e products?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MayNovember
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  02:09:20  Show Profile Send MayNovember a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings wise sages. I'm looking for any instance of an Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief in 1st or 2nd Edition FR. (Any NPC that is of this three way multiclass) Much thanks!

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  02:29:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker MayNovember,

A specific one, no. However, I may have a resource for you to search:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=142994" target="_blank">https://web.archive.org/web/20041031230446/http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=142994

I hope that helps. I've got nothing that comes to mind. Are you searching as a consequence of something relating to Pools of Radiance? ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:19:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found these on the list of 1E/2E NPCs that Kuje made. I just copied these out of his spreadsheet and made the list a bit more presentable.

(I'm prolly going to be looking up a lot of these, myself, later!)

Ithlyn of the Five Fingers
F4/T6/M5
Male Half-drow, NG
Source: Skullport

Keris
F5/M5/T7
Male Half-elf, NE
Source: Ruins of Zhentil Keep

Maenoth Silversword
F6/M6/T7
Male Half-elf, NG
Source: Cult of the Dragon

Ilandra Wavemistress
F8/M7/T12
Female Half-Sea Elf, CN
Source: The Moonsea

Heldorn "Goldsun" Thaerntyl
F9/M8/T3
Male Human, NG
Source: Volo's Guide to the North

Rennyn Aelorothi
F9/M9/T9
Male Gold Elf, CG
Source: Elves of Evermeet

Lord Byronae Trilluach
F9/M19/T11
Male Half-elf, LN
Source: Skullport

Arlen of the Swiftstrike
F9/M10/C9/T11
Male Elf, CN
Source: Ruins of Undermountain II

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:30:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link Wooly?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  04:39:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall some F/M/T kits in 2E PHBR8: Complete Book of Elves and some F/I/T kits in 2E PHBR9: Complete Book of Gnomes & Halflings. And I recall seeing a few triple-classed characters designed with these kits in FR novels.
I don't recall which characters or which novels, let alone any game stats, just that they were obvious and interesting inclusions of these kits into Realmslore.

I also recall reading an article in an ancient Dungeon or Dragon publication which offered a lot of triple-class rules and variations. Along with some new overpowered hybrid race/group of "Ultimists" who were always triple-classed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

MayNovember
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  05:04:50  Show Profile Send MayNovember a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks Sages! All very helpful. Wooly Rupert, where might I find this list of 1E/2E NPCs?
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  06:10:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

Indeed you are correct! There were two: the Infiltrator and the Collector.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  06:17:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Fantastic find! Damn, you really dug those up fast!

Assuming it is here at the Keep, do you have a link to it?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  11:10:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall if Kuje linked those anywhere or just sent them to people who asked. I'll have to look around and see if he linked the files somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  12:43:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Arlen of the Swiftstrike
F9/M10/C9/T11
Male Elf, CN
A quad-multiclass? And on a pure-strain elf? Is this an error?

Definitely disallowed in 1E and 2E (and "2.5E") rulesets.

The 2E PHBR5: Complete Psionics Handbook offered psionicist multiclasses, and I think it might have provided a few sample triple characters. I think Darksun also had a surprising number of triples, though they're obviously not part of (not really even compatible with) Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Sep 2020 12:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  13:40:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Arlen of the Swiftstrike
F9/M10/C9/T11
Male Elf, CN

The 2E PHBR5: Complete Psionics Handbook offered psionicist multiclasses, and I think it might have provided a few sample triple characters. I think Darksun also had a surprising number of triples, though they're obviously not part of (not really even compatible with) Realmslore.

It appears correct or at least https://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/tag/undermountain/ others say the elf is all of that, the source appears to be either The Ruins of Undermountain [1060]and/or
The Ruins of Undermountain II [1104]

Or even here Ruins of Undermountain II: Campaign Guide [1104a] page 114

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  15:40:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Arlen of the Swiftstrike
F9/M10/C9/T11
Male Elf, CN

Yeah, thought it was odd, myself, but there have been some odd, one-off cases in the Realms.

I just looked at my revised 2E book -- there's one triple-class option open for elves, and another for half-elves, and that's it - and none of the elven multiclass options included clerics.

Though the one that got me from the list was Heldorn "Goldsun" Thaerntyl -- as a human, he'd've had to dual-class to be F9/M8/T3. And dual-classing twice like that means he had at least three scores higher than 17. At least, per rules as written.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  16:54:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I roll eighteens all the time *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  17:00:35  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Arlen of the Swiftstrike
F9/M10/C9/T11
Male Elf, CN

Yeah, thought it was odd, myself, but there have been some odd, one-off cases in the Realms.

I just looked at my revised 2E book -- there's one triple-class option open for elves, and another for half-elves, and that's it - and none of the elven multiclass options included clerics.

Though the one that got me from the list was Heldorn "Goldsun" Thaerntyl -- as a human, he'd've had to dual-class to be F9/M8/T3. And dual-classing twice like that means he had at least three scores higher than 17. At least, per rules as written.

Maybe that is an unlisted modification to the base D&D rules. In The Drow of the Underdark, Ed states that Drow priests and wizards have no level limits (page 9).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  17:35:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A triple-classed human might've started off as an elf or half-elf. Some strange polymorph, shapechange, potion, curse, or whatever. Some crazy magic things happen after enough years of adventuring.

This human might have dual-classed (er, triple-classed) instead of triple-multiclassed, as allowed in those edition rules. Like Lord Chess and some others.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  17:54:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

All I know is that I am extremely happy we're past those days of limits on such things as classes, etc., as they were in 1st and 2nd edition.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  18:33:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I roll eighteens all the time *wink*

I managed to beat a set of loaded dice at GenCon, once... They were set up with a little demo tray to roll them in. I rolled them close to the side of the tray, and they hit the wall before they had a chance to tumble to the weighted sides.

I was amused.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  19:38:03  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there is at least one of them in Elves of Evermeet, but I may be wrong.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Sep 2020 19:38:33
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  20:00:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Barastir,

Great call. Indeed there is:

quote:
Rennyn Aelorothi stormy as the seas that she sails. Many suspect that Lady Ryllae counts a sea elf: Elf (F9/W9/T9, Infiltrator)

Best regards,

Not sure what you are quoting as Rennyn Aelorothi is a Handsome Male Gold Elf. Elves of Evermeet page 100 1994 (First printing? )
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  20:52:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Barastir,

Great call. Indeed there is:

quote:
Rennyn Aelorothi stormy as the seas that she sails. Many suspect that Lady Ryllae counts a sea elf: Elf (F9/W9/T9, Infiltrator)

Best regards,

Not sure what you are quoting as Rennyn Aelorothi is a Handsome Male Gold Elf. Elves of Evermeet page 100 1994 (First printing? )

Either way, I did list Rennyn Aelorothi -- the sixth one on my list.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  21:19:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Either way, I did list Rennyn Aelorothi -- the sixth one on my list.

Yes I did notice that, as I also too late noticed that Arlen of the Swiftstrike source was also in the list. All I managed to add was a page number.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  21:56:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

haha...it looks like I stole some thunder there. I completely overlooked that. My bad!

Thanks for calling it out though!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  13:18:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Rennyn Aelorothi stormy as the seas that she sails. Many suspect that Lady Ryllae counts a sea elf: Elf (F9/W9/T9, Infiltrator)"

In fact, Lady Ryllae is one character (female sea elf) and Rennyn is another one (male gold elf, he is the infiltrator). Strange quote...

EDIT: And sorry for missing your mention, Wooly!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 24 Sep 2020 13:49:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: