Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 It looked like a new Realms Shaking Event Coming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:09:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

And here it is: the final grand cop out from a moribund WotC and their by-the-numbers suite of designers without a clue. Now they get to ignore everything ever written in not just the Realms but across the D&D firmament and point to their deux ex machina obelisks as some all-affirming design trope. Uninspired, lazy, and insulting. The Realms just lost its final shred of consistency and internal coherence. If it wasn’t so saddening it would make an impressive farce of legendary proportions.

1) you can always ignore it.

2) apparently some people are enjoying the direction WotC has taken D&D, it IS the highest selling Edition to date, even surpassing TSRs despite their spotty bookkeeping back in the day.

3) why not wait more official info before going straight Doom and gloom?

Agreed on the "let's wait", but you gotta admit that this is yet another super deus ex machina, and the deus ex machina to rule them all. It's one of those cheap tricks that allow designers to ignore coherency in a setting when it doesn't fit the current goal. Not that they needed an in-world justification--they clearly don't--but now they've got that too.

As for "ignore it", that's a weak argument and has always been. People can ignore everything (and I do, for example--though I don't even use FR for my games), however:

1)that doesn't mean that weak pieces of narrative (and this is) shouldn't be criticized.
2)if someone is invested in an IP, they supposedly want to be able to buy more material that they enjoy, not ignore everything new that the publisher puts out. Which is why they should be able to express their concerns, especially on stuff that can affect the IP as a whole.
3)If you're interested in the IP unrelatedly to games, you can't ignore it.

I frankly don't care about what WotC is adding, I only wish for them to not randomly blow up things, kill stuff, or invalidate whole organizations like they did in the past (because I still hold the Realms dear as a setting, and in that sense, I can't ignore that they remove something that I like). But there are people who still care, and "ignore it" is not really a counterargument to what they say.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Sep 2020 16:11:28
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:13:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

The spellweavers would certainly want to undo their history. According to the Ecology of... article (I’m sorry I forgot which issue) of Dragon magazine they’ve wanted to go back to the moments before they destroyed their empire ever since. I skipped 4e for the most part but I think this was also written about there.

Seethyr, isn't this LITERALLY the same plot you have the spellweavers attempting to accomplish over in Anchorome?

LOL yep, I wasn't going to say it.

Well, it says to me that people are probably reading a lot of the concepts we've been throwing out and putting their own spins on them.

I'm intrigued to see what they do with these things, and where exactly are all these "black obelisks"? Where's all this information at?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:34:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Don’t hold out hope for a total reset; the genie’s out of the bottle on tieflings and dragonborn as core races, they’re inseparable from what D&D means to an entire generation of players.

Considering I've moved so far beyond tieflings and dragonborn, I have to say this tickled my funny bone to a degree (please understand I'm just responding because you made me smile). I wasn't even phased when they added those options, as they seemed tame. I honestly wonder, of those people who were against the 4e changes, how many were phased by the new races (I think most were more upset that civilizations were replaced). I just wonder how many people out there are playing centaurs, minotaurs, cat folk, bear folk, etc... (I know I'm probably one of the few actually playing a tiny kercpa, and especially one who thinks he's "in charge".... talk about little big man syndrome).

I will say though that the cultural development of the Vayemniri has been interesting to see. Its fun to play some of these other races, but its hard to explore significant "not like human culture" ideas when you live in a human culture in real life.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:41:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And here it is: the final grand cop out from a moribund WotC and their by-the-numbers suite of designers without a clue. Now they get to ignore everything ever written in not just the Realms but across the D&D firmament and point to their deux ex machina obelisks as some all-affirming design trope. Uninspired, lazy, and insulting. The Realms just lost its final shred of consistency and internal coherence. If it wasn’t so saddening it would make an impressive farce of legendary proportions.

Nearly every version of D&D has had this mechanic hauled out in some form or another. From second to third edition, Vecna had a whole adventure surrounding it where he was doing some kind of great ritual. From third to 4th edition, it was at the very beginning of its release that Szass Tam was trying to do something similar with his towers. From 4th to 5th edition, it was the second sundering when the two worlds drew away from each other again. So, are these black obelisks involving a lich changing the world?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:49:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

quote:

2) apparently some people are enjoying the direction WotC has taken D&D, it IS the highest selling Edition to date, even surpassing TSRs despite their spotty bookkeeping back in the day.

Agreed on the "let's wait", but you gotta admit that this is the deus ex machina to rule them all. It's one of those cheap tricks that allow designers to ignore coherency in a setting when it doesn't fit the current goal. Not that they needed an in-world justification--they clearly don't--but now they've got that too.

As for "ignore it", that's a weak argument and has always been. People can ignore everything (and I do, for example; I don't even use FR for my games), however:

1)that doesn't mean that weak pieces of narrative (and this is) shouldn't be criticized.
2)if someone is invested in an IP, they supposedly want, you know, to be able to buy more material that they enjoy, not ignore everything new that the publisher puts out. Which is why they should be able to express their concerns.

I frankly don't care about what WotC is adding; I only wish for them to not randomly blow up things, kill stuff, or invalidate whole organizations like they did in the past (because I still hold the Realms dear as a setting, and in that sense, I can't ignore that they remove something that I like). But there are people who still care, and "ingore it" is not really a counterargument to what they say.

I don't think blowing up the Forgotten Realms is what they are planning again, more something chaotic & magical enough to explain merging the MtG and D&D cosmologies. They've been planning this since at least around the time they introduced the Sundering, so I don't think their goal is to blow that up, tweek it and merge settings yes, maybe even justify the rules changes coming in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, but none so much that they radically reshape the Forgotten Realms like during ToT, Spellplague, Sundering,maybe closer to the effects of Die,Vecna, Die on the Forgotten Realms (which while not occurring on FR, radically changed the general D&D cosmos, which has been used to explain the changes from 2e to 3e/3.5e FR and beyond).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:54:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

While I agree on points 1 and 3 (especially 3!), I will quibble with point 2: D&D 5E may be the highest selling edition to date, but that wasn't the complaint -- the complaint was what's being done to the setting itself, not the ruleset.

I'm also not convinced that bigger sale numbers are proof D&D 5E is a better ruleset -- the culture surrounding geeky stuff in general, and RPGs in specific, is greatly changed. RPGs still aren't mainstream, but even 10 years ago if you'd told me I'd see dice and D&D sets at Target or Wal-Mart, I would have laughed at you. D&D 5E comes at a time when RPGs are far more accepted than they have been at any prior point in history, so of course sales numbers will be higher.

I'm not dissing the 5E ruleset; I'm neutral to slightly positive on it, myself: I've not tried it, but I've heard almost entirely good things about it. I've got the books and I'm willing to try the ruleset.

I just think there's more to the sales numbers than just the quality of the rules themselves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  15:58:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

2e Planescape established tieflings as a playable race so they were around back then so that isn't a problem. Dragonborn COULD be brought in via the experimentation of the Netherese (specifically house Orogoth) in trying to assume some of the characteristics of dragons (they would have come into existence around -2300 DR).

Or just open a portal to Abeir and transplant a population of dragonborn into Faerûn earlier in its history. I mean, Abeir may be a concept they introduced in 4e, but that only applies to real life. In the Realms, Abeir has always existed and dragonborn there are more common than humans and have existed since ancient times, and the people of Toril just learned of them after the Spellplague.

I do like the 4e Realms, however. I won't be thrilled if they just negated them to pamper their old customers. They already pampered them enough with the Sundering.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 08 Sep 2020 16:00:09
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  16:05:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add that I think the Obilesks will be more additive then subtractive, at least in the Forgotten Realms case, it could be a way to bring beloved characters from the past, hack to the present without retconning and destroying the current Forgotten Realms. Oh hell it could even be used to explain how and why the Mulhorandi Gods returned to Faerun during the later part of the Sundering, if Nazram World Walker used one of the Obilesks to say restore Skuld and maybe a few other Mulhorandi cities during the Sundering it would explain where these Mulhorandi Armies and Gods came from. Nazram is more then capable of mastering the magics of the Obilesks and twisting them to his plans without accidently causing temporal genocide against the rest of the Forgotten Realms.

And it occurs to be that for matter that Frostmaiden occurred before most of the previous other APs in setting time.

Instead of bring tied to a new Realms Shaking event, maybe the Obilesks will be used in FR to flesh out and expand on what happened during the Sundering, use it to explain returning Gods, linking MtG to D&D, returning nations and cities,returning NPCs, why didn't think of this before? The Obilesks btw also seem to keep creatures trapped in them, another way they can be used to get beloved NPCs to the present. It all makes sense now.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  16:07:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I don't think blowing up the Forgotten Realms is what they are planning again, more something chaotic & magical enough to explain merging the MtG and D&D cosmologies. They've been planning this since at least around the time they introduced the Sundering, so I don't think their goal is to blow that up, tweek it and merge settings yes, maybe even justify the rules changes coming in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, but none so much that they radically reshape the Forgotten Realms like during ToT, Spellplague, Sundering,maybe closer to the effects of Die,Vecna, Die on the Forgotten Realms (which while not occurring on FR, radically changed the general D&D cosmos, which has been used to explain the changes from 2e to 3e/3.5e FR and beyond).

I don't think either; that was more of a parentheses re: how I feel about the obelisks--I don't really care, as long as they don't blow up stuff, and the unlikeliness of that happening means I'm not worried. Other people do care about the new content, however, so it's not like they must stfu because they can ignore it, especially when the new content can affect the setting as a whole. That was my overall point.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Sep 2020 16:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  16:14:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll add that I think the Obilesks will be more additive then subtractive, at least in the Forgotten Realms case, it could be a way to bring beloved characters from the past,

Aren't they already doing that without McGuffins? I mean, Dritzz's companions, Durnan, Mirt, Volo, Mincs and Boo, etc. Current Forgotten Realms is filled up with "beloved characters from the past" without any Deus Ex Machina.

And according to the adventure, Frostmaiden happens in 1489. Just right while the rest of the world (aka the Sword Coast) endured the Tyranny of Dragons.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  16:54:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

I'll add that I think the Obilesks will be more additive then subtractive, at least in the Forgotten Realms case, it could be a way to bring beloved characters from the past,

Aren't they already doing that without McGuffins? I mean, Dritzz's companions, Durnan, Mirt, Volo, Mincs and Boo, etc. Current Forgotten Realms is filled up with "beloved characters from the past" without any Deus Ex Machina.

And according to the adventure, Frostmaiden happens in 1489. Just right while the rest of the world (aka the Sword Coast) endured the Tyranny of Dragons.

Do you guys have the adventure or something? Amazon for me says it doesn't release until the 15th.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2020 :  17:03:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have it. But people is already sharing spoilers on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Bravesword/status/1301949505257058304?s=19

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  00:23:41  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the time being, the only RSE I care about is Relative Square Error. If the Realms gets shaken again, the effect for me is an epic no save sleep spell.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  00:29:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
... isn't this LITERALLY the same plot ...

WotC has been recycling the same plots for years.

I'm guessing they think their audience won't notice. At least not the audience which always matters to them, the kids (and critics and reviewers) who are buying into and playing D&D now. Grognards from past editions and past decades generally aren't as important - it's nearly impossible to please them all anyways - so they're expected to embrace the new stuff or to just move along.

Sorting through mountains of stuffy old Realmslore can be a lifetime hobby. But for WotC it's just a resource (they own) which is full of plots and ideas they can freely pillage.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  00:36:21  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is time travel, right? Different edition rules were in effect during different time periods. How about this is just a way for them to re-release everything they ever put out so that people today can pick a time and a set of rules and then actually buy the physical books for that time period? That would let new players pick something they like AND they get to make a buttload of money without actually having to write much of anything. They could even do a quick conversion book to show how to move any character from one edition's rules to another. Low cost (just write up the necessary stuff) and then dump their entire catalog to some printing company somewhere.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  03:26:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
send tieflings back out of the core races... sure. Planescape and or Spelljammer had em as player races and they were more unique that way. Keep the Setting Variants of em in their unique books and have Dragonborn end up like Paizo did with their take on dragons. Make them Aliens, not native to the Toril or Abeir. Interesting nod to Spelljammer doing that.
Once could hope, chance of seeing it not too likely... less you have millions of dollars and paid wotc to do it....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  03:59:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you guys have the adventure or something? Amazon for me says it doesn't release until the 15th.

Probably getting the books from a FLGS that has permission to release the book a week early. A Flagship or Premier Store.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  13:39:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
... isn't this LITERALLY the same plot ...

WotC has been recycling the same plots for years.

I'm guessing they think their audience won't notice. At least not the audience which always matters to them, the kids (and critics and reviewers) who are buying into and playing D&D now. Grognards from past editions and past decades generally aren't as important - it's nearly impossible to please them all anyways - so they're expected to embrace the new stuff or to just move along.

Sorting through mountains of stuffy old Realmslore can be a lifetime hobby. But for WotC it's just a resource (they own) which is full of plots and ideas they can freely pillage.

No, Seethyr's plot was HIS, not WotC. He used it in his DMS Guild product "The Land of the Insect Men".

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280837/ANS1-The-Land-of-the-Insect-Men

Granted, not the plot, but the idea that spellweavers long ago had some catastrophic fail in their civilization came from a dragon article, but his idea was that the spellweavers on Toril were using thri-kreen miners to try and find a resource in the form of a special crystal that could be used in a ritual to correct the past.

BTW, if this means that they are listening to people who aren't associated with their company but who are developing ideas for the realms, then great. I've always felt that the whole point of us coming here and sharing ideas was to A) float the idea and then B) have our fellow sages either shoot holes in it, express their like or dislike of it, and/or improve upon it. That's partly why I just let loose with ideas all the time. Not everything is gold, but I'm surprised how many times I say something and someone else says something back and it sparks an entirely new idea. Its also why I say that people that come here need to have thicker skin, because sharing of ideas will result in some people who don't like the idea. That's perfectly ok, and if you can explain why you don't like it, then maybe someone can adjust accordingly if they feel its a worthwhile improvement (stress on that last part... some folks seem to think that their every thought is gold and that everyone else is dumb if they don't think like them or conform to their worldview).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Sep 2020 14:13:48
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  20:47:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not so convinced an actual RSE is coming, since the point of most of them was to sell novels -- and WotC isn't doing novels any more.

My understanding was the point of them was to link canon "continuity" between game editions. Although, yeah, they were each accompanied by one or more novel trilogies which became cornerstones of later Realmslore.

I think the novels sold (or didn't sell) based on other merits (or lack thereof) - regardless whether they involved RSE. New blow-up-the-world threats or even the actual act of blow-up-the-world is always sensational enough to bump audience interest. But plenty of FR novels sold well by being about smaller parts of the Realms which surrounded iconic characters. Or by carrying the names of popularly recognized authors.

I wonder if WotC makes more money from the game materials or from the novels?

Novel-wise, they did a couple RSEs to link editions... All but one of the rest were to sell books.

I don't have the quote on hand, but I do recall a statement from someone -- an author, as I recall -- that the RSE books generally sold better than the non-RSE books.

And a former TSR/WotC staffer said at GenCon that the books were considerably more profitable than the game material -- but it was the "wrong type" of money because the company considered itself a gaming company and not a publishing company.

Can you say who the staffer was, I understand if you can't, but it just makes the decision to end the novel line that much more moronic, like TSR at their worst moronic and shows what bullshit those who defended WotC's choice to end the novel line arguements are filled with. Crazy.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  21:00:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Individual authors do that for specific characters here and there, but this sets it up to do on a much larger scale and at the same time sets them up to do a bunch of other things they want to do at the same time, like tie FR into MtG. This will let MtG print Legendary Cards for any character or place or item from FR history when they do the DDAitFR MtG set.

My hope is that it also sets up an opportunity to do an up to date version of the FRCS (but it won't be called that), because it will allow them to make the changes they want to and gives them all the art that they could want at no extra cost because MtG department would have payed for it already, just like with GGtR and MOoT. Its the perfect timing for such a book, with BG3 and Dark Alliance coming out and an FR movie like starting production next year.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  21:02:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

quote:

quote:

Probably getting the books from a FLGS that has permission to release the book a week early. A Flagship or Premier Store.

I saw a preview video on youtube, I'll see if I can find it.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2020 :  21:06:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/cyH6uIVPrfc

Here you go the preview video.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2020 :  23:41:52  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damn, monstrous vampires, that's good stuff. I wonder if that'd be a better entity to use instead of that Abyssal Ghoul I was considering for Yeenoghu's contribution..

Also, "Exandria Ravenloft and Hell" is a pretty strange description. Hell as in Avernus? Also I can't believe I'm realizing now that both CR and WOTC are doing cold-north-ancient-magical-empire-crashed-city adventures at the same time..

If there really is some Netheril-related time travel concept coming down the pipeline then I wonder if they will go full circle and retell the original story from the Netheril Box-Set which involves a more typical story of time traveling to the past. What would sitting in on such a temporal shift look like? So many questions- but I suppose the unique aspect of this kind of time travel is the.. radius I guess? Is this specifically to be designed that everything in the radius keeps in continuity? Does it only bring the land back? No people will come from the dead, then? Or is this all up to the writer..? This is an exciting time to be in D&D for sure, one way or another.

Oh my gosh, someone could use these regional time-reversals to turn the Anauroch desert back into a lush grassland. Anauroch's wildlife must be shell-shocked from the back and forth biomic shifts by this point.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  20:20:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:

Damn, monstrous vampires, that's good stuff. I wonder if that'd be a better entity to use instead of that Abyssal Ghoul I was considering for Yeenoghu's contribution..

Also, "Exandria Ravenloft and Hell" is a pretty strange description. Hell as in Avernus? Also I can't believe I'm realizing now that both CR and WOTC are doing cold-north-ancient-magical-empire-crashed-city adventures at the same time..

If there really is some Netheril-related time travel concept coming down the pipeline then I wonder if they will go full circle and retell the original story from the Netheril Box-Set which involves a more typical story of time traveling to the past. What would sitting in on such a temporal shift look like? So many questions- but I suppose the unique aspect of this kind of time travel is the.. radius I guess? Is this specifically to be designed that everything in the radius keeps in continuity? Does it only bring the land back? No people will come from the dead, then? Or is this all up to the writer..? This is an exciting time to be in D&D for sure, one way or another.

Oh my gosh, someone could use these regional time-reversals to turn the Anauroch desert back into a lush grassland. Anauroch's wildlife must be shell-shocked from the back and forth biomic shifts by this point.

They are different locations, but each has a pillar.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  22:15:50  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do wanna say, the Anauroch was green in 4e...

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  00:10:27  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I do wanna say, the Anauroch was green in 4e...

Indeed, it surprised me to learn that in the year I chose for a game that the region was lush, and even more surprising that in under two years it will be a desert again due to the awakening of certain pesky magic eaters.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:05:18  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I noticed that, too! After last week's episode, I was like, "heading to the frozen north, and RotFM is coming out soon" lol. I can't help but wonder if Matt is going to tie the obelisks in with the luxon beacons lol.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  03:14:09  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

I noticed that, too! After last week's episode, I was like, "heading to the frozen north, and RotFM is coming out soon" lol. I can't help but wonder if Matt is going to tie the obelisks in with the luxon beacons lol.

If OP could clarify their statement on Exandria it would become a serious matter of discussion, but I feel suh a thing would be merely in the background of scenes highlighting his original stories of Aeor.
After-all, Rime of the frostmaiden's submerged high magical flying city was published after his own in the Explorers Guide to Wildemount.
I shant speak more on the subject though, many CR fans would likely hate to be spoiled.

Do we not expect any source clarification from OP? Is mum the word in that regard? The imperfect english has me concerned for misinterpretation on our part.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  00:04:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Brimstone,

It is almost like you seem.........happy, about that. ;) LOL

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: