Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Scripts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  01:46:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just want to know if there's a way to get any of the various scripts, such as Espruar (link to it below), downloaded for my computer keyboard? Link:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/4/46/Espruar-5e.jpg

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  02:23:42  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
like the fonts? most are available for free online

here's the first site google brings up when searching for Forgotten Realms font

https://www.fontspace.com/category/forgotten-realms

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 24 Aug 2020 02:25:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  15:17:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
go to http://www.candlekeep.com/ and click Alaundo's Library, then click Fonts. There's several others as well that you can download like barazhad, iokharic, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  21:45:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-And once downloaded, all it takes it dropping them into the Fonts folder. I can't tell you how many times in my own personal experience people didn't understand that second step.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  22:44:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-And once downloaded, all it takes it dropping them into the Fonts folder. I can't tell you how many times in my own personal experience people didn't understand that second step.

For a time, I was rather enamored of different fonts, and had a small buttload that I'd acquired from various sources, and made a point of installing on every computer, along with a lot of other pointless customizations like sounds and changing the Start button and a lot of other nifty but pointless things.

Now the only pointless customization I do is a single sound: somewhere, I found a wav file of a Transformer transforming, from the old cartoon -- I set that sound for docking/undocking hardware.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  23:37:31  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

For a time, I was rather enamored of different fonts, and had a small buttload that I'd acquired from various sources, and made a point of installing on every computer, along with a lot of other pointless customizations like sounds and changing the Start button and a lot of other nifty but pointless things.

Now the only pointless customization I do is a single sound: somewhere, I found a wav file of a Transformer transforming, from the old cartoon -- I set that sound for docking/undocking hardware.

"Autobots, transform and roll out!" in Peter Cullen's voice. All jokes aside, I like the Infernal script shown in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2020 :  01:01:57  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fonts are neat and all that, but really limited to people who make things for their games. I relied on the fonts for the props that impressed & excited my players, but I almost always had to break the 4th wall so that my players could enjoy interacting with the items such as the clay rosetta stone that had dethek, draconic, thorass, espruar, and English alphabets so that they can translate two scrolls (one in draconic scripted English & the other in espruar scripted English) to operate the portals, then translate the inscriptions on the obverse & reverse coins (in dethek scripted English) to identify an assassin, and then send a coded warning message they had to make (in thorass scripted English) to delay the plot until the PCs could arrive. This takes some preparation before the game and consumes time during the game as the players figure out what to do with these new items.

If the fonts are intended for non-interactive items like a picture of a magical dwarf shield that is meant to add a visual to the DM's flavor text about the item then the essential game play should remain unchanged, but if the players are meant to interact with these fonts then caveat emptor for a new dynamic will appear in play. While I have had many players who greatly enjoyed the experience, there are a few others I have had who were disengaged and even intimidated by the artifacts or annoyed by the focus they gained from the other players. The game play changes when interactive items are brought in from outside the rules' format. DMs need to have a backup plan for when things go awry or less than full group engagement occurs (i.e., timing the artifact introduction to be near or at a session stop point so that the interested people can play with them on their own time or dividing play time so that the DM can continue with the disinterested players to tackle a side-story of action while the others are busy translating).

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2020 :  01:15:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I most use them for decoration or to hide messages in the background of something that only a true realms person (i.e. not necessarily players, but more like someone here) might actually take the time to decipher. However, that being said, making the "rosetta stone" translation takes all of 5 minutes on the DM part (type AABBCCDD etc and change the font every other letter). Its just a question of whether you have players that will appreciate it (and most don't).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  00:43:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I actually chuckled at this. My god, we must be from the exact same generation! lol

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2020 :  00:45:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

I use the fonts when I have certain letters to type up, etc. for my campaigns, so I find that useful. Beyond that, not so much. haha I have to agree wholeheartedly with Master Rupert in that regard.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000