Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 The Head of The Tricksters Guild of Deities.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  21:58:38  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I'm wicked curious as to what everybody thinks.

If ALL the Trickster deities gathered together we would have a list that would far exceed my ability to post them in order. I'll do my best in no certain order. lol.

Who do YOU consider the Head of the divine Tricksters Guild?

Choices:

Garl Glittergold
Brandobaris
Erevan Ilesere
Baravar Cloakshadow
Vergadain
Vhaeraun
Mask
Besheba
Hyrsam
Sqeulaiche
Fraxenpux The Quickling King
Tymora

(Anonymous Vote)

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  22:19:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trick question, because there is no divine tricksters guild

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  22:26:15  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Trick question, because there is no divine tricksters guild

Oh my... there isn't?? LOL! But if there was....???
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  02:23:19  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garl.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  03:07:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would gods need a guild?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  03:41:30  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You misunderstand my friend. It's a fellowship that has been around since 2ED. Demi-Human deities delves into this matter more. The Trickster gods once gathered together every season or so. They were at least united by mischief.

Gods don't need guilds silly.... But I bet you 1,000 platinum pieces that deities need the company of other like-minded deities.

An unaffiliated, unassociated sect of divine perseverance and commrodrie. Again... most thieves and rogues seek to better the other by sheer divine wishing and thoughts.

But in a game of the Multiverse where all trickster gods are fair game?

What is this new devilry?

Must only happen once or twice a year.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  05:26:09  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm relatively certain that most pantheons don't really care one way or another until their resident trickster decides to annoy someone.

Hermes is respected among the Olympians. Hades is one of the Big Three.

The Celts are lead by a trickster deity.

Loki and Odin are both trickster gods. Loki just gets into trouble more.

Sung Chiang is absolute master of the Lower Planar black market.

Mask is relatively inoffensive as far as trickster gods go.

Vhaeraun is more concerned about overthrowing Lolth.

Garl has responsibilities as pantheon head.

Beshaba isn't a trickster deity. She's nutso.

The big-name trickster deities generally seem to have more responsibilities or are simply more prestigious than the likes of Erevan or Brandobaris. Hades, for instance, is not a trickster in the traditional sense, but he wreaked havoc with his infamous helmet during the war against the titans. Hermes is entrusted with being the messenger of the Greek pantheon. Sung Chiang rules the lower planar black market. The Daghda rules the Celts. And so on.

Edited by - LordofBones on 21 Jul 2020 05:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  07:00:15  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'm relatively certain that most pantheons don't really care one way or another until their resident trickster decides to annoy someone.

Hermes is respected among the Olympians. Hades is one of the Big Three.

The Celts are lead by a trickster deity.

Loki and Odin are both trickster gods. Loki just gets into trouble more.

Sung Chiang is absolute master of the Lower Planar black market.

Mask is relatively inoffensive as far as trickster gods go.

Vhaeraun is more concerned about overthrowing Lolth.

Garl has responsibilities as pantheon head.

Beshaba isn't a trickster deity. She's nutso.

The big-name trickster deities generally seem to have more responsibilities or are simply more prestigious than the likes of Erevan or Brandobaris. Hades, for instance, is not a trickster in the traditional sense, but he wreaked havoc with his infamous helmet during the war against the titans. Hermes is entrusted with being the messenger of the Greek pantheon. Sung Chiang rules the lower planar black market. The Daghda rules the Celts. And so on.

I disagree with almost everything you just typed. Pagan what? Monotheistic huh? You did a combo of Forgotten Realms and Real World history there. Not sure how to respond.

I'm pretty sure everyone has a right to play as they see fit. Hence... I implore you to do the same. Open up a little and let CEV in.

Farseinfath damn you. lol.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  16:36:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

You misunderstand my friend. It's a fellowship that has been around since 2ED. Demi-Human deities delves into this matter more. The Trickster gods once gathered together every season or so. They were at least united by mischief.

Source info? While I have no problem picturing certain tricksters deities gathering with some other trickster deity for fun, and perhaps certain ones being pals across pantheons, I just can't see them having a yearly convention per se. Where is this mentioned in 2nd edition that this occurs?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  21:11:39  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Source info? While I have no problem picturing certain tricksters deities gathering with some other trickster deity for fun, and perhaps certain ones being pals across pantheons, I just can't see them having a yearly convention per se. Where is this mentioned in 2nd edition that this occurs?

It was an old Dragon Magazine or Dungeon Magazine article titled something like "The Tricksters regret" or "A room full of thieves" or something. No matter how hard I search on the internet I cannot seem to locate the article. I know I'm not imagining things, lol. Or am I?
Go to Top of Page

Archfey of Debauchery
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  18:04:03  Show Profile Send Archfey of Debauchery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Archfey of Debauchery
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  18:06:18  Show Profile Send Archfey of Debauchery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm wicked curious as to what everybody thinks.

If ALL the Trickster deities gathered together we would have a list that would far exceed my ability to post them in order. I'll do my best in no certain order. lol.

Who do YOU consider the Head of the divine Tricksters Guild?

For some reason it won't let me take the poll. Has copper elven vampire disabled polling?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  02:04:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted Erevan for this one. Might have gone with Garl but I think Erevan fills the role more completely.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  12:32:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of all the ideas I saw this fellow come up with and try to put forward as canon, this was one that I found the least believable. To note, CEV tried to call this a canon meeting and could never provide the details, and he threw the concept back to second edition so that people would question it less. This was one thing I used to get annoyed with was him making up things and quoting them as canon, and he wouldn't admit that it was homebrew. Now, if someone can point me to this supposed dragon article, I'll eat my words. I just can't buy a group of trickster deities trusting each other so much that they would form a GUILD. Getting together as a group because of some looming issue that threatens them all is one thing, making a guild is another entirely. I've seen the movies like Ocean's 11, etc.... and while a group of thieves might get together for a heist, they're not going to work together repeatedly. Also, getting together is almost against their natures as the quintessential chaotic entities of the cosmos. The idea that they would get together repeatedly AND pick one of their number to LEAD them (and thus elevate another god above themselves when they don't need to)…. its hard for me to accept... and the fact that I come up with some REALLY off the wall stuff sometimes says something about that statement.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  19:38:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of all the ideas I saw this fellow come up with and try to put forward as canon, this was one that I found the least believable. To note, CEV tried to call this a canon meeting and could never provide the details, and he threw the concept back to second edition so that people would question it less. This was one thing I used to get annoyed with was him making up things and quoting them as canon, and he wouldn't admit that it was homebrew. Now, if someone can point me to this supposed dragon article, I'll eat my words. I just can't buy a group of trickster deities trusting each other so much that they would form a GUILD. Getting together as a group because of some looming issue that threatens them all is one thing, making a guild is another entirely. I've seen the movies like Ocean's 11, etc.... and while a group of thieves might get together for a heist, they're not going to work together repeatedly. Also, getting together is almost against their natures as the quintessential chaotic entities of the cosmos. The idea that they would get together repeatedly AND pick one of their number to LEAD them (and thus elevate another god above themselves when they don't need to)…. its hard for me to accept... and the fact that I come up with some REALLY off the wall stuff sometimes says something about that statement.

That's why I didn't vote, myself. Not because it was an ArchCEV idea, but because I can't see all of these deities working together for even a one-off goal, much less forming a guild. I can't see any group of deities forming a guild, but a chaotic, cross-pantheon group of wildly varying alignments? Nope, not happening.

(Yes, I think they could work together if there was a big enough threat -- but it would have to be something huge, like a "destroy all of Realmspace" kind of threat. And even then, I don't see why you'd have a group of all-rogue deities coming together; it'd be more likely that you'd have entire pantheons working together, instead.)

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2020 :  05:32:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his Realms it was Canon, thus that made it Canon for all of the Realms in his mind.

Really over the top for the LOL's we're chaotic trickster deities, meeting for s***s and giggles, cause we're chaotic and s***. LOL...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2020 :  06:11:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he thought it was a viable option, this hypothetical guild. I just don't understand why he would have thought that.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  12:02:13  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing is that most trickster gods generally have better things to do with their time. The big name trickster gods already have their own powerbases and legendary deeds.

I'll put it like this: Sung Chiang runs the lower planar black market. Erevan gets drunk during Titania's parties.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  23:54:44  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously Leira, the one tricky enough to not get listed . . . at least, not under her real name.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  00:26:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

Obviously Leira, the one tricky enough to not get listed . . . at least, not under her real name.

No, she was the one that created the myth that they all needed to show up.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000