Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Did anyone know about this? TSR 1167
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  22:27:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just discovered TSR 1167. It includes a readers digest version of the 2nd Ed. Rulebooks, and four mini-adventures set in and around the region of Shadowdale.

The Tomb of Damara, The Town of Freedale, The Ghost of Harrow Hill, Under Mount Dread...

It blows my mind I never knew about this.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  23:00:58  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of it. How much lore is in there? Anything interesting?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  00:40:56  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a lot. And some a bit contradictory to other Realms sources.

Totally introduction to playing AD&D type stuff. A couple NPCs. A new mountain name. A castle and a dungeon.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  01:22:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A really cool find. Did you pick it up somewhere, or just discovered it existed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Starter_Set

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 06 Jun 2020 01:23:45
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  03:34:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is among the PDFs that are now available online.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  04:56:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. My.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  07:06:08  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only recently heard of it because someone asked Ed on twitter if Freedale was still around, it is, but in a very diminished state.

You got a linky for the pdf?

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  08:29:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR 1167 is the 2E Tome of Treasure.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  15:25:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The only "Tome" books I know of are Tome of Magic (2E), Tome of Magic (3E), Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, and Mordankainen's Tome of Foes. What is Tome of Treasure?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  17:50:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

I've only recently heard of it because someone asked Ed on twitter if Freedale was still around, it is, but in a very diminished state.

I'd like to know if it was legally available someplace, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  22:35:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
What is Tome of Treasure?
Haha, appparently TSR1167 Tome of Treasure is an incorrect entry in my spreadsheet. "Tome of Treasure" led me to this page describing TSR1105 First Quest. My mistake, I apologize, I honestly have no clue how or why this error happened, I hope there's no other errors on my list.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Jun 2020 22:39:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  03:35:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wizard Netheril? Horrendous.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  04:28:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, obviously the wizard Netheril is famously known for his adventures with the elven twins Cormanthyr and Myth Drannor, the priestess Silverymoon, and the rogue Shadowdale.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  14:11:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wizard Netheril is one thing, but that's not as problematic history-wise as this:

"The characters leam from the scroll Netheril
gave to the wizard that Damara was a great
king who ruled with the power of the [orb of dragonkind].
Twenty years ago an ogre named Bonegnasher
attacked the castle in search of the orb, killing
Damara's troops. As a last act, Damara hid the orb
somewhere in the castle. Bonegnasher has been
searching for it ever since."

Note that the Tomb of Damara is deep in the woods south of Shadowdale according to the map. King of what exactly???

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 07 Jun 2020 14:12:19
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  16:35:04  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

Yeah, that was me who asked Ed about Freedale. Haven't used it in a campaign yet, but it's in my toolbox now, at least.

As far as I can tell, Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons hasn't been made available in PDF form through DMsGuild/DriveThruRPG. It's an interesting enough piece of apocrypha, but I wouldn't say it's worth the price it's selling for in online shops for anyone but the most free income-having, die-hard collectors.

Edited by - lookatroopa on 07 Jun 2020 17:01:49
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2020 :  19:55:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said - some of the "lore" is directly in opposition to canon - but when did that ever stop TSR or WOTC. Most can be relatively easily explained away, either by adjusting names or changing dates... make "King" Damara predate the Dalereckoning, maybe someone who tried to carve a kingdom out of Cormanthor and was part of the Crown/Scepter wars. "High Wizard Netheril" is a poser who is obsessed with the Netherese. Etc.

As a product, it is best compared to the other old introductory boxed sets:

The classic Dungeon&Dragons Game - the one where you learned to play step by step as you made your way through Zanzer Tem's dungeon.
The Dragon's Den
The Goblin's Lair
The Haunted Tower

All these were box set games, with full poster size dungeon maps that were set in "Thunder Rift" and trained beginners to play D&D.

This is the same idea, only its AD&D 2nd Ed. and set in the area of Shadowdale.

I'd also kind of compare it to the Castles Box set, which took the idea of Darkhold and made it something it hadn't been.
Still hate the design of Darkhold they made... taking the great description from the OGB and basically throwing it right out the window... only to have it brought back in the Player's Guide... then out again... on and on :P

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 08 Jun 2020 20:07:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2020 :  05:32:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thunder Rift? Isn't that the same place that the Gray Death Legion got its start?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000