Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Elminster's Candlekeep Companion (with Ed)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  02:23:26  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ed Greenwood was a consultant on this project, which promises to be the most comprehensive guide to Candlekeep ever published! It will launch by the end of April.

Sign-up to my mailing list for a 20% discount on launch. http://bit.ly/mtblacksignup

You can click here to see the cover - https://twitter.com/MTBlack2567/status/1247331125757788161

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  02:47:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks intriguing!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  11:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Now that certainly has my attention. I look forward to seeing more of this tome.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  14:21:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, what might this entail? Are we going to see something like a long list of book names that are in the Keep with details about how that book might help you? Or more of a map and NPC compilation? Maybe some rules on how to use the Keep to improve research on something in a 5e campaign? Details on Keep defenses? New spellbooks like what was done in the 1e gray box with new spells listed? New class options for someone involved in some way with Candlekeep?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  01:33:01  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the Blurb:

Elminster’s Candlekeep Companion aims to be the definitive guide to Candlekeep in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fifth edition. Players and Dungeon Masters can use this book to create characters and adventures relating to Candlekeep and the knowledge it contains.

Chapter 1 provides new character options for creating Candlekeep-inspired characters.

Chapter 2 presents a general overview of Candlekeep, such as requirements for entry, major locations, and the monastic order known as the Avowed.

Chapter 3 includes an in-depth look at the Great Library of Candlekeep, its rules, and the books contained therein.

Chapter 4 details ideas for creating Candlekeep adventures. It also includes an adventure by M.T. Black, for use in Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus.

Chapter 5 contains new magic items and spells found in Candlekeep and its vaults, including magical books, tomes, and grimoires.

Chapter 6 provides new monsters and NPCs, such as bookworms and Mirrym, the Sentinel Wyrm.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  22:04:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may enjoy this thread which can help you populate Chapter 5. The subject was "Tomes of esoteric lore in Unther"

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22383

It was basically some musings for titles of books that MIGHT come from Faerunian history. I know people can get punchy when making up stuff like this, so I freely allow you to use anything that I personally came up with in that thread. It might also give you ideas. I won't say its "gold", but I think there's some nuggets there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  01:37:57  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Confrontation at Candlekeep adventure.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  02:41:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like at least 24 hours notice if you're going to be showing my room to adventurers. And please don't disturb my quasit, he tends to bite strangers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  17:36:47  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would love a good map of the place. The existing maps (Baldur's Gate video game and snippets of places from some adventures like Confrontation at Candlekeep) don't come close to mirroring the images of the place.
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2020 :  23:09:03  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Would love a good map of the place. The existing maps (Baldur's Gate video game and snippets of places from some adventures like Confrontation at Candlekeep) don't come close to mirroring the images of the place.

It includes a very cool map
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2020 :  01:49:28  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. That warms the cockles of my heart. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  13:48:56  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is now live! It includes an amazing map and lots of great lore...

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/311436/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  14:17:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought a copy!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  16:47:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am, officially, working from home right now... But I still hopped onto my home computer just to make this purchase.

(The DM's Guild and associated sites will load on my work computer, but they're painfully slow -- and I can't easily transfer files off of the work computer, due to corporate security policies)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Apr 2020 16:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  18:10:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang it!

Okay, so not only did I spring for the separate map before noticing it was included, I just checked my email and found a "Hey, get this new thing for 20%!" notice in there.

That'll teach me not to make purchases in a hurry...

Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  23:14:08  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, we really appreciate the purchases!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  09:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Purchased yesterday. A lovely looking product and seems very comprehensive. Looking forward to delving in!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  00:53:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, purchased and very pleased. Good stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  04:26:10  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, folks - it is encouraging to hear this feedback :-)
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  19:02:23  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just picked it up. beautifully done, that map is gorgeous! Candlekeep is such an iconic locale. Nice to finally see it in detail. Kudos to everyone involved. Hoping for a print version.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  23:36:24  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankyou! The same team is working with Ed to detail *another* iconic Forgotten Realms location, one that has also been underserviced. I look forward to announcing it!
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  13:16:48  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooohhhhh! can't wait!

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  13:18:21  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MTBlack

Thankyou! The same team is working with Ed to detail *another* iconic Forgotten Realms location, one that has also been underserviced. I look forward to announcing it!

Brilliant! Thanks and keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  02:50:13  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:
Originally posted by MTBlack

Brilliant! Thanks and keep us posted.

Just announced "Darkhold: Secrets of the Zhentarim"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000